Author Topic: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play  (Read 27853 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:53:16 AM »
Hi folks! Welcome to my top 50 albums thread! This is going to be my first version, and will probably be followed up by a v2 in about 1 year or 1 and a half year, the reason being I'm currently hosting a roulette and exploring music on my own, so I still have a ton of albums to take in, and this one's mostly consisting of the stuff I'm already fairly familiar with, plus some newcomers. Here's some bulletpoints about the format and rules etc.:

• The 14 pre-top 50 albums will be announced 2-3 at a time daily until there's only the top 50 left, doing this to give me some time to make my finishing touches to the write-ups, as I've already written most of it some time ago, the top 50 will start on Sunday.
  • There's no artist/album limit, if I know an artist and think 12 of its albums (:neverusethis:) are worthy of the top 50, I'll do it.(For real though, I think the most albums by one artist in this top 50 is 4, which is still a lot, but IDC.)
  • Expect more than half of the albums to be post-2000, I have a special place in my heart for classic albums, but the actual top doesn't have more than ~15 albums from before 2k.
  • I'll post a short description/motivation for my favorite song of each album, along with another few recommendations, so if you're not familiar with an album but do want to check it out, you'll have an idea of what could be the best song to start with.

Now so you're 100% prepared for this preposterous list, here's some of my musical background info:

I was born back in 1995, pretty much from as young as I can remember I've been hearing my dad spin goo'ol metal/rock CD's (think of Metallica, Alice Cooper, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Overkill, etc.). Unfortunately he passed away in 2009, so from there on I've been carrying on his legacy with some of these bands, but I've been slowly developing my own tastes aswell, mainly being prog rock/metal for the past 2 years, but I also have my personal twist in this list with some alternative and nu-metal that I've been hearing a lot growing up.

I'll do the first update in a few hours, which will be #62, #61 and #60

Editing the whole list of the outsiders here in the OP for clarity:

#64: System of a Down – Steal This Album!
#63: Three Days Grace – One-X
#62: Dream Theater – Octavarium
#61: Opeth – Pale Communion
#60: Iron Maiden – Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
#59: Shinedown – Sound of Madness
#58: Porcupine Tree – Deadwing
#57: Disturbed – Indestructible
#56: Native Construct – Quiet World
#55: Seventh Wonder – Mercy Falls
#54: Gojira – The Way of All Flesh
#53: The Mars Volta – The Bedlam In Goliath
#52: TesseracT – Altered State
#51: Protest The Hero – Scurrilous

Top 50 albums:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
#50: Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine
#49: Mastodon – Crack The Skye
#48: Haken – Aquarius
#47: Muse – Origin of Symmetry
#46: Pomegranate Tiger – Entities
#45: Metallica – Death Magnetic
#44: Circus Maximus – Isolate
#43: Dream Theater – Train Of Thought
#42: Avenged Sevenfold – Waking The Fallen:
#41: Alter Bridge – One Day Remains
#40: A.C.T – Circus Pandemonium
#39: Linkin Park – Meteora
#38: Periphery – Periphery II
#37: Sum 41 – Chuck
#36: Iron Maiden – A Matter Of Life And Death
#35: Tremonti – All I Was
#34: The Mars Volta – De-loused In The Comatorium
#33: Megadeth – Rust in Peace
#32: Queensrÿche – Operation: Mindcrime
#31: Metallica – Master Of Puppets
#30: Distorted Harmony – Chain Reaction
#29: Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn Of Events
#28: Arctic Monkeys – Whatever You Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
#27: Sum 41 – Screaming Bloody Murder
#26: Iron Maiden – Powerslave
#25: Deftones - Diamond Eyes
#24: Machine Head – The Blackening
#23: Avenged Sevenfold – Avenged Sevenfold
#22: Haken – The Mountain
#21: Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
#20: Protest The Hero – Volition
#19: Alter Bridge – Blackbird
#18: The Dear Hunter – Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading
#17: Royal Blood – Royal Blood
#16: Avenged Sevenfold – City Of Evil
#15: Slipknot – Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
#14: Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory
#13: Dream Theater – Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
#12: Protest The Hero – Fortress
#11: System of a Down – Toxicity
#10: Fates Warning – Disconnected
#9: Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
#8: The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
#7: Metallica - Ride the Lightning
#6: Alter Bridge - Fortress
#5: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
#4: Metallica - ...And Justice For All
#3: Dream Theater - Images and Words
#2: Machine Head - Unto the Locust
#1: Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Anyone that doesn't feel like reading write-ups and is just interested in the results, here's what we got.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:49:40 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50(+14) Albums! Eight-X Album!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
Here's the first batch!

#64: Three Days Grace – One-X (2006)

Alternative Metal/Hard Rock

The second studio album from the band that’s pretty much famous for their simple instrumentations by now. I had a hard time picking my favorite, but One-X got the upper hand in the end. It’s just like Steal This Album!, something I return to to just rock out a bit, while TDG also has some of those ‘emotional’ songs, they don’t tend to be as strong, well with a few exceptions. The ex-singer of this band, Adam Gontier, used to be one of my favorite rock-metal vocalists, known for his husky voice (don’t know if that’s the best term for it), he was basically the main attraction of the band for me, so it’s a shame I only saw them live after he left the band. TDG has a lot of post-grunge-y aspects, but the in your face guitar riffs definitely lean more towards alternative rock/metal. I’m very unaware of how familiar these guys are around here, aside from a few songs I expect to be pretty well known.

Favorite song:
Riot: If it wasn’t clear already that Three Days Grace are all about writing simply structured catchy songs, then this song will definitely clear that up, obviously being about starting a Riot, this is one of those songs that gets the whole crowd pumped up during a concert. Nothing complex, but if you’re looking for simple anthemic rock, you’re at the right place here.

Other recommendations:
Animal I Have Become: If you don’t like the first few seconds (bass intro), then don’t bother, because that’s probably the grooviest part of the song, although I gotta say the chorus is awesome too, my favorite chorus off the album.

Never Too Late: This is one of those exceptions, Adam Gontier can indeed write good emotional songs. Being about overcoming suicidal tendencies (atleast that’s my interpretation), has very strong vocal deliveries, and a super powerful chorus which perfectly defines my choice of words when I said “husky voice”. 

Get Out Alive: This song just became one of my favorites because the drums were interesting, not even challenging, just interesting to play, and left a lot of space to improvise. Eventually the song as a whole just started growing on me.

#63: Dream Theater – Octavarium (2005)

Progressive Metal

It should go without saying that Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands, but there’s still a lot of albums that didn’t make it to the rankings, so why did this one? Well, at first I only liked Panic Attack, and I had already read about the idea behind the album (8 songs, each in consecutive order going one octave higher and stuff), which intrigued me to give the songs on here a second chance, I was still too impatient at that point to listen to a 24-minute song, but in the end it became a DT masterpiece in my eyes. I guess I care more about the mixing process than I thought I did, because this seems to be mixed very well compared to most of the other albums. Moving on to the songs, there’s nothing that drags down the album, even TALW and IWBY which I disliked for a long period of time, don’t disappoint anymore, These Walls and Never Enough are middle of the pack for me, they both have some really awesome moments, but don’t strike me as particularly unique either. Being the 8th studio album, James still manages to keep the vocal performance on par, although there’s way better albums to show that, what really stands out in the individual tracks are the instrumentals.

Favorite song:
Sacrificed Sons: Nope, it’s not Octavarium anymore, this beautiful 9-11 tribute was a late grower for me, but like I mentioned, it’s not just James being excellent (I feel like singing his own lyrics tends to make him perform better), but in Sacrificed Sons, it’s the fucking awesome instrumental section that some people may find misplaced, I personally dig it a lot, and it has some of my favorite DT riffs :metal

Other recommendations:
Octavarium: I shouldn’t need to recommend Dream Theater songs to a Dream Theater Forum, you all know this one, let it speak for itself.

Panic Attack: Amazing intro, leads into what is literally an assault of instruments, heaviest song of the album.

The Root of All Evil: To this day I believe that this was the best concert opener DT ever had, it has the most energetic intro, and a beautiful chorus, what better contrast can you ask for?

#62 System of a Down – Steal This Album! (2002)

Nu-Metal

Man, this album brings back some memories, I know 2002 doesn’t seem all that old, but when you consider I was almost turning 7 years old by the time, it’s pretty self-explanatory. This is one of those albums that has a lot of short tracks on it, which is basically S.O.A.D. in a nutshell for you, they’re also the only band who manage to make such amazing songs like Innervision, staying around or under the 3 minute mark. What this does for the album as a whole is not an awful lot, which makes it hard to rank, because to me it remains a record of randomly ordered songs, but the songs are all very solid S.O.A.D. songs. So yeah, album flow is definitely not great, but I merely return to this album for some fun, but also strong emotional songs, there’s no need for any stories within the songs or the album here. After Toxicity it was quite a task to continue their spree, but Steal This Album! More than sufficed.

Favorite song:
Roulette: Everyone who is familiar with S.O.A.D. knows they’re not only about the short extraordinary songs, they also have super emotional/heartbreaking songs like this one, made complete with a moving acoustic guitar solo. I usually don’t recommend this band to a lot of people because it’s pretty weird for most, but this song, I recommend to everyone.

Other recommendations:
I-E-A-I-A-I-O: The most fun song on the album, has a great chorus that everybody can sing along to, and energetic whacky lyrics in the verses.

Innervision: One of those songs with very well thought out lyrics that they tend to have a lot, but what I like most is Serj’s vocal performance overall.

Chic’N’Stu: I guess this is what you’d call a guilty pleasure, because this is easily the weirdest song I’ve ever heard from these guys, and that’s saying a lot. (the song is about pizza, proceed at own risk)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:38:49 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:36:14 AM »
Octavairum and Steal this album are both great, and I actually really like the flow of the latter.
Looking forward to the rest of the list  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »
You had STA in your top50 right? Well deserved, dont see it get mentioned that often.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
the only one of these i know is 8vm, which probably would've been mentioned if i did honorable mentions at the start of the list
still would say it's my #4 DT album, i guess

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »

I was born back in 1995, pretty much from as young as I can remember I've been hearing my dad spin goo'ol metal/rock CD's (think of Metallica, Alice Cooper, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Overkill, etc.). Unfortunately he passed away in 2009, 

Damn. That's terrible. I'm sorry to hear that. He must've been young.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
44 years old, it was really hard to digest and truly realise, but I've come to live with it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 03:49:40 PM »
44 years old, it was really hard to digest and truly realise, but I've come to live with it.
I bet it was. That is too young.

Will be following. The list of bands in the OP is right up my alley.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »
Damn, I still haven't even finished the writeups for my own list  :lol

Octavarium is maybe my #3/#4 DT album  :P

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
I'm not a huge Three Days Grace fan, but One-X is pretty solid. I think Time of Dying is probably my favorite track from that album. The main riff is pretty cool.

Never heard of this band called... Dreem... Tehatre? I agree with you about Sacrificed Sons. It's also my favorite song on the album.

And for some reason I had never listened to Steal This Album! before last month, but it's a very good album. I'd say that Vicinty of Obscenity might surpass Chic’N’Stu in term of weirdest SOAD song though.

Anyway kudos for being able to make a top 50 album list. I have no idea how you guys do it  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »
I'm not a huge Three Days Grace fan, but One-X is pretty solid. I think Time of Dying is probably my favorite track from that album. The main riff is pretty cool.

Never heard of this band called... Dreem... Tehatre? I agree with you about Sacrificed Sons. It's also my favorite song on the album.

And for some reason I had never listened to Steal This Album! before last month, but it's a very good album. I'd say that Vicinty of Obscenity might surpass Chic’N’Stu in term of weirdest SOAD song though.

Anyway kudos for being able to make a top 50 album list. I have no idea how you guys do it  :lol

Awesome to see you in the General Music Discussion forums, never seen you before here, and yea, either Time of Dying or Gone Forever would be my next song, but I think the whole album is solid.

Oh and in terms of SOAD weirdness, yea Vicinity of Obscenity is pretty damn weird, but Prison Song and Bounce are also definitely up there!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:06:01 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
You basically look at what your favorite bands are, and pick a few albums from each, and then write those down. Keep looking for records you love until you have 100 or so. Then, choose your personal #1, and then the top 10, and you go all the way back until you have somehow ordered all the albums. Then, I'd recommend putting a limit, like, no more than 2 albums per band or so. Keep trimming it until you get ~60. Now, listen to them all, in descending order (from #1 to the last one), and refine the album's positions as you go. And while listening to them, write down some thoughts - those are pretty useful when doing the actual writeups.

At least that's how I did it a year or so ago, and doing it now  :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
You basically look at what your favorite bands are, and pick a few albums from each, and then write those down. Keep looking for records you love until you have 100 or so. Then, choose your personal #1, and then the top 10, and you go all the way back until you have somehow ordered all the albums. Then, I'd recommend putting a limit, like, no more than 2 albums per band or so. Keep trimming it until you get ~60. Now, listen to them all, in descending order (from #1 to the last one), and refine the album's positions as you go. And while listening to them, write down some thoughts - those are pretty useful when doing the actual writeups.

At least that's how I did it a year or so ago, and doing it now  :P

Yea thats basically how I did this one, broke it down to about 100 albums and gave them all a listen, 50 weren't enough so I brought it down to 64 albums.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 06:35:41 AM »
Next three albums, and to keep up with the pace I'll probably finish one more write-up later on today when I have the time

#61: Shinedown – The Sound of Madness (2008)

Genre: Post-Grunge

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the first ever mention of Shinedown in a top 50 album thread, albeit #61, let alone The Sound of Madness, which arguably isn’t even their most popular release (tied with Amaryllis), this is a clear example of my post-grunge love swinging by, mostly this genre doesn’t have entire albums of consistently good music, but this is an exception, it’s one of the most energetic albums in the genre, and from the first song all the way to the last, stays super energetic. Even the ballad-y songs are full of energy, and those are considerably the best. If you haven’t already met the greatness of Brent Smith,here you go, the singer of Shinedown. I wouldn’t say this is the best album to showcase his talent, but this is the album that brings all the instruments along with him to a perfect balance, thus being my favorite Shinedown album. The already mentioned ballad-y songs aside, we also have some very heavy guitar riffage that brings down the high pace this band usually keeps a bit. I would describe these guys as a band that makes mostly radio-oriented rock, it’s very accessible stuff, nothing overly complex, and Brent is definitely the highlight of this band.

Favorite song:
Second Chance: Best example of that radio-oriented rock I was talking about, has a fine chorus, but the verses and pre-chorus are my favorite parts, also one of the best songs to showcase the beauty of Brent’s vocals.

Other recommendations:
Sound of Madness: Arguably the heaviest song on the album, maybe tied with Cry For Help, but the latter is very quick-paced, while this title track is just a slow, heavy, simple headbanger.

The Crow & The Butterfly: Beautiful song, don’t bother too much with the lyrics because I’m pretty sure they don’t make any sense, but this is the one song I’d recommend listening to from this album if you’re mainly here for this guy’s voice, cause damn, just listen to him sing here.

I Own You: I don’t think Shinedown fans agree with me on this one, this is just a plain fun song, nothing out of the box, but it appeals to me.

#60: Opeth – Pale Communion (2014)

Genre: Unidentifiable

Sorry Opeth fans, I never managed to get into Opeth, I’ve been trying, but so far the only album that hooked me was this little gem. From what I’ve heard Pale Communion is the softest Opeth album (which seems obvious, unless proven otherwise), but this really opened my eyes, and made me realize that these guys do have it in them to create great music, it has just not been the music I was used to, so I’m hoping that this album will be the gateway to their classic albums. Enough about other albums, Pale Communion is a very laid-back (for Opeth standards) album with what almost feels like psychedelic influences, they created an album that just feels otherworldly or something. I’ve heard a lot about Mike Akerfeldt, and I never understood why people love his growls so much more than other singers with harsh vox, but his clean voice sure is interesting, he can sing alright. His voice fits the music style they’re going for here more than anything I’ve heard before, this should be a record you have playing in the background when you’re in a lazy mood and don’t really have anything going on. And yes, this means no Blackwater Park in my top 50.

Favorite song:
Cusp of Eternity: This is the best :hat song I can imagine, the whole atmosphere is just so amazing, it also has an eastern-ish style going, which is my weak spot. Recommending this song to anyone who is having a :hat, aswell as people who enjoy groovy songs above anything, with cool guitar solo’s.

Other recommendations:
Voice of Treason: Out of everything here, this one was the easiest to get into, it has a strong chorus, fun drums and subtle guitar melodies.

Eternal Rains Will Come: Not as groovy as Cusp of Eternity, but it is the perfect opener to this album, sets the mood, and maintains the proggy elements.

#59: Iron Maiden – Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988)

Heavy Metal

So yea, of course I know my classics, there’s actually a lot of classics throughout the top 50 (not as many as I’ve seen on some other top 50’s though). Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, believe it or not, first caught my attention because of the cover art, because that’s how I learned about albums at that age, I picked out a CD with cool artwork and just tried it out. I can pretty much remember nothing from this album from when I was little though, but I still get a very nostalgic feel when listening to it. What makes this record so excellent is its consistency, it’s my #2 most consistent IM album, but its peaks aren’t as high as the other Iron Maiden features on this list. Still, #59 is pretty impressive, and a well-deserved spot for this classic Maiden album.

Favorite song:
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: This was a no-brainer, a ten minute song wasn’t like anything I’ve heard before, but strangely, it didn’t even feel like a stretch, this is by far the most grandiose IM song that I know. This is also one of the best Bruce Dickinson performances, so if good vocals appeal to you (which they should), check this out.

Other recommendations:
The Evil That Men Do: Most fun song on the album in terms of singing along, I know this one was a blast live, and still gets me hyped when it comes up on shuffle.

The Clairvoyant: Again, just Bruce being a hero here, his vocal melodies are swinging like no tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:39:59 PM by Train of Naught »

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
I love Pale Communion

SSoaSS is so  :metal
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50(+14) Albums!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 08:09:28 AM »
Pale Communion is pretty great actually. My second favourite Opeth album, as I'm not a fan of growls. Have you heard Damnation yet? If you haven't, I strongly recommend it. It's a very laid back Opeth without any growls and with awesome melodies and clean guitar solos.

SSoaSS is great too. 8VM is alright; I couldn't sit through the whole SOAD album; don't know the other two.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:14 AM »
Yea I've heard a friend mention Damnation once or twice, so it was already kinda on my radar, I've also been listening to some tracks off Ghost Reveries, but this one's the album I kept returning to.

Offline 425

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »
I feel about Heritage (which is Opeth's actual softest album IMO) the way you feel about Pale Communion.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
I feel about Heritage (which is Opeth's actual softest album IMO) the way you feel about Pale Communion.

Maybe if you cut The Devil's Orchard.

Anyway, I think Damnation is the softest. It's dark, yes, and it's brooding and sad, but that's how I see it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »
I would say that The Devil's Orchard is no heavier than several songs on Pale Communion. It would be the heaviest song on Damnation, yes. But Heritage is also counterbalanced by having several very, very soft songs (Nepenthe, Häxprocess).

Regardless of what is the softest, though, :heart Heritage.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 09:16:46 AM »
ya Damnation be their lightest/softest.
I still haven't really given Pale Comminion a proper chance; I'll try to rember to give it a spin tonight.

anyway, I'll be following.  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
pale communion feels like an album i'll go back to in the future and really appreciate, but it hasn't done a whole lot for me yet. i like it more than heritage, though.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 10:48:23 AM »
Seventh Son is pure awesomeness. Favorite song personally is Infinite Dreams but the title track isn't too far behind. :tup

Gonna be following

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 12:51:20 PM »
Seventh Son is pure awesomeness. Favorite song personally is Infinite Dreams but the title track isn't too far behind. :tup

I agree!

Offline 425

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
pale communion feels like an album i'll go back to in the future and really appreciate, but it hasn't done a whole lot for me yet. i like it more than heritage, though.

I feel the same way about PC. But I adore Heritage.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
I couldn't get into PC - specially with the little expectations I had after the boring Heritage :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 01:18:48 PM »
Here's my promised bonus update for today, wangs!

#58: Porcupine Tree – Deadwing (2005)

Genre: Progressive Rock

I’ve had a hard time getting into Porcupine Tree and I still have, most of the songs I’ve heard did little to nothing for me, but this album stood out to me after hearing the title track. The album as a whole carries on a strange combination of energy and relaxation that I can’t really describe, maybe Mikael Akerfeldt is just my form of perfection when it comes to vocal harmonies. Anyway, even though this album is (as far as I know) pretty heavy for PT standards, correct me if I’m wrong because I’m not that familiar with Porcupine Tree’s discography, it also has immense amounts of swings in pace and heaviness, going from Shallow to Lazarus, kinda like the transition Octavarium has, going from TROAE to TALW. It doesn’t bother me, in fact, I think it improves the album when listened to in its entirety, which is why I think this is a great album from start to finish, and should definitely be listened to entirely. I’ve read through some of the older top 50 albums threads because they were pretty enjoyable, and couldn’t help noticing that there’s so many Porcupine Tree almost everywhere. Deadwing seems to be a pretty popular choice, but I really should start venturing deeper into the PT cave, because this one definitely hasn’t disappointed.

Favorite song:
Halo: This song is just so groovy, especially love the chorus on this one. While I love the extended instrumental sections this album has, this one is great in its simplicity instrumental-wise.

Other recommendations:
Shallow: Again, super groovy, and my introduction to Deadwing, also the heaviest song on the album, the main riff gives me Soundgarden – Spoonman vibes.

Deadwing: Awesome 10 minute opener, with amazingly done instrumental sections, and relaxing backing vocals, while still being a fairly energetic song.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:40:33 PM by Train of Naught »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Train of Naught's Top 50(+14) Albums! Wangs of Death!
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
Told ya to get into In Absentia :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 01:27:52 PM »
I know I have some new shit in my top albums and will even have one or two 2015 releases on here, but you sent me that song like 2 weeks ago :lol I've known Deadwing for about a year now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 01:29:03 PM »
i mean you didn't mention any of the four best tracks off th album (arriving somewhere, mellotron scratch, start of something beautiful, glass arm shattering) but i don't mind seeing this album here, yes  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »
I've known Deadwing for about a year now.
Shallow is the only song I know from PT, what are the odds.

:neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »
I tried Porcupine Tree a few years back, and it was with Deadwing. The only two songs that I thought were halfway decent was Arriving Somewhere and The Start Of Something Beautiful. The rest was so meh, I cannot believe how many like them.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
I've known Deadwing for about a year now.
Shallow is the only song I know from PT, what are the odds.

:neverusethis:
Kappa? I don't even know.

@TAC yea most I tried out didn't appeal too much either, maybe they're just not for me (Deadwing aside).

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
Deadwing is like 50 spots too low.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »
Really excited to see Three Days Grace and Shinedown on the list. Definitely following.