Author Topic: RedLetterMedia Thread  (Read 27302 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: RedLetterMedia Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2016, 03:57:12 AM »
I disagreed about the "sex/love" portion of the video, but everything else was entertaining enough.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
Yeah, I really didn't agree with that either, but that's fine. I don't have to agree with everything to enjoy it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
same here

I thought the cute little exchanges between ray and finn were well done, and were the baby steps toward a possible relationship. Like they just met, give it a little time to grow.

Besides that, I enjoyed the review

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2016, 05:26:35 AM »
Yeah I actually am tired of every single movie needing to have a relationship element.

It's like the protagonist walks out the door at the start of the film and bumps into the love of his life.

Yeah that doesn't happen in the real world...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »
I think it's pretty refreshing these days to see a man and a woman in a movie or TV show just have an actual friendship. The currency of romantic love has been so diluted by Hollywood at this point that a strong friendship feels more powerful to me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2016, 03:57:22 AM »
I think it's pretty refreshing these days to see a man and a woman in a movie or TV show just have an actual friendship. The currency of romantic love has been so diluted by Hollywood at this point that a strong friendship feels more powerful to me.
Exactly this. Glad to see I was not the only one disagreeing with that. :lol And he spent so much time on it too!

Gotta say, I enjoyed the prequel reviews a lot more. But then again, they had a LOT more material to work with there. This video felt a bit unfocused. Still solid comedy though.  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2016, 03:09:26 AM »
Kotow, are you dying for the new Plinkett review?

This also came like two weeks ago? Hey Kotow, do you remember me at all?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2016, 08:50:25 AM »
I did enjoy the Plinkett review. I can't imagine how long it would take to edit that. And I wonder who was playing JJ in the sketch portions.

" JJ's Fan Service " haha. Well played. Even though Force Awakens was great.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2016, 11:26:28 AM »
I did enjoy the Plinkett review. I can't imagine how long it would take to edit that. And I wonder who was playing JJ in the sketch portions.

" JJ's Fan Service " haha. Well played. Even though Force Awakens was great.

I burst out laughing at the JJ Fan service line  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
Brand new reView episode:   the original Dawn of the dead

https://redlettermedia.com/dawn-of-the-dead-review/

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »
I lost it a bit when they went back and forth between Dawn and Day. I've never seen a single one of them so unless it was in B&W or the 2004 one I wasn't sure.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
https://redlettermedia.com/

Rogue one baby

They lose their shit in the first couple mins. I am dying  :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
https://redlettermedia.com/

Rogue one baby

They lose their shit in the first couple mins. I am dying  :rollin

Yeah for a while I was a bit worried that was all the episode would constitute.

They are correct though. There's no drama and the characters are all dull except for K2.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »
I totally disagree that there's no drama, and I thought the characters had a lot of....potential. I don't think they were all dull, but they weren't fun vivacious characters like the Star Wars movies have. They were more dark bleak characters that have no real hope and live horrible lives. I think they should have been developed more, for sure, but lots of people are comparing them to the success of Rey, which I think is unfair.

I think people love Rey for two main reasons.

1. She is essentially a mixture of the best parts of Luke, Leia, and Han. So when we see her, all of their histories and development get evoked even though she has virtually none other than "had nothing, now have everything". So it's a bit cheap.
2. The actress has a crap ton of natural charisma. This is true. She was incredible and brought an otherwise generic character to new levels.

However, she was playing a character that was almost nothing but spunk, can-do attitude and hope (sound familiar?) so bringing charisma to it is not quite as hard as characters who are going on a suicide mission after living lives of horror.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jester

« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2016, 03:48:28 PM »
RLM are wannabe critics.  Hacks is too kind a word.  They contradict their own criticisms left and right.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2016, 05:45:47 AM »
I agreed with a lot they had problems with, except I enjoyed the movie and would give it a thumb up. Daisy Ridley definitely is more of a likable actress than Felicity Jones and especially with how their characters were written. Don't get me wrong, I think Felicity is great and has put in some really good performances (she's probably the better actress of the two, but has also appeared in more), but her strength is different from Daisy Ridley's strength.

What I like about RLM's reviews is that while they're all fans of Star Wars, they're not afraid to voice their problems with the franchise, and they also try to look at it from a more neutral point of view, rather than the fanboy point of view. Star Wars is such a big phenomenon and has one of the most extreme fanbases where a lot of hardcore fans actually get upset if someone has concerns, so either you love it and it's a 10/10, or you hate it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2016, 05:58:20 AM »
I agreed with a lot they had problems with, except I enjoyed the movie and would give it a thumb up. Daisy Ridley definitely is more of a likable actress than Felicity Jones and especially with how their characters were written. Don't get me wrong, I think Felicity is great and has put in some really good performances (she's probably the better actress of the two, but has also appeared in more), but her strength is different from Daisy Ridley's strength.

What I like about RLM's reviews is that while they're all fans of Star Wars, they're not afraid to voice their problems with the franchise, and they also try to look at it from a more neutral point of view, rather than the fanboy point of view. Star Wars is such a big phenomenon and has one of the most extreme fanbases where a lot of hardcore fans actually get upset if someone has concerns, so either you love it and it's a 10/10, or you hate it.

I agree with all of this.

They go quite far with their dislike for this movie, but they also raise some valid points.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2016, 05:59:39 AM »
The first 3 minutes of the review was hilarious. Poking fun at how other websites and bloggers / youtubers go batshit insane over anything SW.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
This is probably just a result of me randomly choosing a bad sample of RLM reviews to watch lately, but they don't seem to like anything. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2016, 07:45:35 AM »
This is probably just a result of me randomly choosing a bad sample of RLM reviews to watch lately, but they don't seem to like anything. :lol

They do! 2016 has just been a very disappointing year for the big blockbusters. Rogue One aside (I like it and people generally like it, but they didn't), we've gotten movies like Suicide Squad, Ghostbusters and Batman v Superman which haven't been that good, so not that surprising that they also disliked those. But just from the last reviews they've done, they loved Arrival, they liked Doctor Strange, they liked Don't Breathe but disliked the new Blair Witch.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2016, 08:15:04 AM »
Usually my views are pretty close to theirs, but not this time. I loved it

They say that this is a movie for fat guys in their late 30's with big bushy beards. I'm 29, in decent shape with no beard and was around 11 when Phantom menace came out.

I kind of "grew up" with the prequels and I hate them (except III) so i don't know. At the end of the day, I just really enjoyed rogue one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:33:07 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2016, 08:38:06 AM »
Well I mean it's all opinions. Some things that might bother some people might not bother others.

With Rogue One, I personally felt a lack of character depth, the first two acts being very slow without really giving me what I wanted, I had issues with the CGI characters and some parts felt rushed, but these are issues that some people might have no problem with at all. For me it knocked it down to maybe a 7.5 out of 10. Still good, just some issues. Meanwhile, I loved The Force Awakens and would say it's my second favorite after Empire, but when it comes to the concerns people have that it was too similar to ANH or Rey being a Mary Sue, I didn't feel the same about those points.

So while the RLM dudes are pretty much critics, it's not like their word has more meaning than your own opinion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2016, 09:24:05 AM »
I like RLM because they break down why they like or dislike a film. They don't just go LOL IT SUX for 30 mins like other YouTubers.

Also if a film is woefully bad - they don't JUST shit on it. They explain WHY it's so terrible and point it any good points - IF it has any.

Their Jack & Jill review is a good example. It's 45 minutes or so of deconstructing what's so bad about it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
That's what I like about them too. I feel like half the people I discuss movies with are either "it was amazing 10/10" or "i didn't like it" and no matter what they think, they can never really tell me why or what they liked/disliked. It's always way more interesting to talk about the details in a movie than whether it was good or bad. Talking about why certain things didn't work or why other things really worked well. Even some of my closest friends look like they don't understand what I'm saying if I bring up pacing, character depth, editing or other parts that make up a movie. I get that not everyone is as interested in those details as I am, but that's why I love RLM so much, because even if I agree or disagree, I can still understand why they felt the way they did, because they give good reasons for it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »
Also they enjoy Star Wars but don't go " OMG R2 & C3PO ARE IN IT !!!! ! :o :o "

Jay - like me was like " Do we HAVE to see them ? "

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »
That's what I didn't get either. They go out and spend months shooting, creating and editing a 2 hour review of phantom menace back in the day and then they say "Rogue one wasn't for us, it was made for star wars fans"

How are they not star wars fans?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »
I think there is a difference between being a fan of the Star Wars movies and being a Star Wars fanatic.

Rich and Mike are massive Trekkies but they didn't like any of the TNG movies or Into Darkness.

You can still be a fan of the franchise whilst criticising or not enjoying certain aspects.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #132 on: December 20, 2016, 10:41:24 AM »
I guess I was just expecting them to like it a little more, since I liked it so much. Its all good though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 20, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »
When I saw Rogue One i knew RLM would point out all the stuff I didn't like...

I didn't expect Mike to love it as much as Force Awakens.

Although on another note - it annoys me for some reason when two guys in a film can't be close or show deep friendship without people assuming they're gay.

First it was Finn and Poe and now it's the chinese dudes in Rogue One.

You can't have two guys have a close friendship on screen anymore ?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2016, 07:02:31 AM »
Nope. It's the same with straight pairings too. People say there was sexual tension between the two leads when really all they did was hug. Same crap. :(

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
RLM are wannabe critics.  Hacks is too kind a word.  They contradict their own criticisms left and right.
Correction: They are hack-frauds, not just hacks. There's a distinction.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2016, 02:22:05 AM »
RLM > any other YouTube film critic.

I'd rather watch every Plinkett review back to back than any 1 Nostalgia Critic video.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2016, 02:49:53 AM »
It's a bit of a shame that Doug Walker puts so much time into Nostalgia Critic because when he is just talking about movies without playing that character, it's great and he brings up good points. But with NC it's a lot of shouting and over the top which isn't very funny.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2016, 07:05:05 AM »
Yeah I hate it. The RLM skits are mostly mumbled or sort of half arsed :lol

It's like here's a joke - whatever. Laugh or don't. We don't care. :p

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
RLM > any other YouTube film critic.

I'd rather watch every Plinkett review back to back than any 1 Nostalgia Critic video.

I agree about Nostalgia Critic, for sure. And Plinkett's prequel reviews are damn near impossible to top.

But by a large, as far as reviews go, I'd still put Schmoes, Collider, and Screen Junkies above RLM. This is mostly because I feel like RLM have become so cynical and so snobby and elitist recently that it's getting harder to connect with them. They feel like those nerds in highschool that everyone picked on that talk about how lame everyone else is. I keep mixing them up, but the clean shaven guy is just beginning to hate everything way too much. He seems to like only obscure movies or b-grade films, while the bearded guy seems a bit more level headed but is outnumbered by the other 3. I still watch them, but it's getting harder to really take them too seriously.
fanticide.bandcamp.com