Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese  (Read 323919 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese
« Reply #5880 on: March 15, 2016, 08:04:32 AM »
Not busy at all. Drawing, in fact.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5881 on: March 15, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
This has easily been the most boring day so far, and I am thankful I have my own office.
They are still working on my car and say they will call within the next hour to let me know when I can pick it up. Getting frustrated.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5882 on: March 15, 2016, 12:21:26 PM »
Hopefully it will be worth the wait.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5883 on: March 15, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »
I've basically done nothing today. I had a ton of drive and determination this morning, but that seemed to vanish around 8:15 or so. I'm heading to Vegas later this week and it's hard to focus on anything work related.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5884 on: March 15, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
It's been slow at work for me as well, I can't take it because it makes the day go by so slowly...

where in Vegas are you staying?  I want to go back

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5885 on: March 15, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »
Look who decided to stop by the chat thread. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5886 on: March 15, 2016, 12:30:55 PM »
Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Well yeah, to get my car back will be, I'm just bored. I had started this silly celtic design drawing at my desk yesterday and left it to finish today, but dumbass me left my pens home, so all I have here is the 01 liner I keep in my work back. I need at least my 08 and BR to finish this up, so I guess I'm taking it home tonight. Was trying my hand at a circular freehand design; fairly basic but an attempt at uniformity. I don't want to mess it up by grabbing a Sharpie and having it bleed everywhere.

John - an octopussy?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5887 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
Just got a call that the CEL threw another code so they are back in checking other hoses to look for any vacuum loss. May or may not be ready today. Ugh.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5888 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
I hate to ruin the joke by being technical, but you can see all four of his other legs. It's still funny.   :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5889 on: March 15, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
Le chat thread.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5890 on: March 15, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »
Just got a call that the CEL threw another code so they are back in checking other hoses to look for any vacuum loss. May or may not be ready today. Ugh.

I don't trust auto-mechanics. They look for shit to fix that doesn't need to be fixed.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5891 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
It's been slow at work for me as well, I can't take it because it makes the day go by so slowly...

where in Vegas are you staying?  I want to go back

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. It's about a mile and a half from Sam Boyd Stadium and you can see the strip off in the distance. I think it's a sister hotel of a Marriott. I'm heading down there with my dad and basically everything is comped and I didn't arrange any of the trip. He has to travel for his work a lot. They reimburse him for everything, so he's got more flyer, car rental, and hotel points than he knows what to do with (especially considering the fact my mother won't set foot on an airplane). He booked everything a while back.

I feel like a bum getting a free vacation, but at the same time, when life gives you lemons, go to the monster jam world finals.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:00:42 PM by Chino »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5892 on: March 15, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »

I don't trust auto-mechanics. They look for shit to fix that doesn't need to be fixed.

My Grandad went to one mechanic and got quoted £1,000

He tried another mechanic which a friend recommended and got quoted £5 for what was "an easy fix"...

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5893 on: March 15, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »

Firstly, this is the dealer. Secondly, the CEL threw a code that I read myself with a reader so I know what the code is. This is continuing to do it so more parts need to be replaced. Thirdly, this is all covered under warranty so they wont make anything off me anyway. I trust them.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5894 on: March 15, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »

Firstly, this is the dealer. Secondly, the CEL threw a code that I read myself with a reader so I know what the code is. This is continuing to do it so more parts need to be replaced. Thirdly, this is all covered under warranty so they wont make anything off me anyway. I trust them.

No fourth? I'm not convinced.  :lol  Kidding, of course.

My Grandad went to one mechanic and got quoted £1,000

He tried another mechanic which a friend recommended and got quoted £5 for what was "an easy fix"...

Now that is more along the lines of my experience with mechanics.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5895 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
I never felt like I was being shafted by mechanics. Maybe it's because we had so many in our town, but they were all legit and fair. They knew if they got the reputation for fucking people over, they'd lose to their competition really fast.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5896 on: March 15, 2016, 01:30:21 PM »
I used to go to a mechanic that my family knew for decades. He's still around and is still one of the most honest businessmen I know. The problem was his shop wasn't advancing at the same rate cars were. For example, he couldn't mount tires on wheels larger than 15"; he had to send them out. When I got an imported luxury car, he often had trouble getting the right parts. It just started to make more sense to me to take it to the dealer for service, especially for the high line brands.

The other thing is, dealers don't often try to pull the wool over the customers' eyes anymore. With the rise of the internet, it is so easy for consumers to find out what things really do cost and how things really do work, it doesn't benefit dealerships to be ripoffs. Having worked at an auto firm, I can tell you the dealers WANT to satisfy customers and have them coming back and give glowing reviews. Partially because they really do want to help, but also because the better they treat a customer, the more likely they are to come back. Also, the more positive reviews they get, the more co-op dollars they get from the manufacturer.

Service and parts are where car dealers make a majority of their profit. The other majority is F&I (the office where you sign the final paperwork, where they try to sell you LoJack, paint protectant, extended maintenance plans, etc). When it comes to service departments they really do want to help you because it's also in their best interest to do so.

Private mechanics are not governed by the same principles, so there can be honest good guys and lying bad guys.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5897 on: March 15, 2016, 01:42:31 PM »
I usually do my research before letting someone try to sell me something I don't need when it comes to cars. My friend's mechanic tried to tell me I needed my timing belt changed, that it was "falling apart". I did some research and found out that in my Hyundai there isn't a timing belt, it's a timing chain and should never have to be replaced unless there were some extraordinary circumstances. I corroborated this with two people I know who know just about everything there is to know about cars. Unfortunately, they don't live close enough to have them do my auto work.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5898 on: March 15, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
I don't mess with independent mechanics anymore. That may sound harsh or unfair, but honestly with all the technology and specific things in today's cars, not going to the dealer can open many cans of worms. When you get to the higher line cars, some that have upwards of 7-15 computers in them, the dealer is often the only one equipped to handle anything and everything necessary.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5899 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »
I don't mess with independent mechanics anymore. That may sound harsh or unfair, but honestly with all the technology and specific things in today's cars, not going to the dealer can open many cans of worms. When you get to the higher line cars, some that have upwards of 7-15 computers in them, the dealer is often the only one equipped to handle anything and everything necessary.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5900 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
I've got a kid who calls out too much and could have the supervisor's position on the second shift but when you can't lead by showing up every day it gives me pause to hand the "keys" to him.  You have to show up every day and show the employee what the leader of the shift expects.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5901 on: March 15, 2016, 02:06:25 PM »
And just got the call - they found the issue and are fixing it but it won't be ready until tomorrow. *sigh* The thing about all of this is, I have a loaner car so I can get to and from work, and after all the frustration of them having the car for 3 days...they are testing and fixing and testing and will give the car a road test before they turn it back over to me. So after all is said and done, it should be well fixed. There's something to say for that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5902 on: March 15, 2016, 04:09:37 PM »
And now I hired a guy who worked one night. One and done. Take such an easy job. 

I'm losing faith in people.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5903 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
Greetings and salutations...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5904 on: March 16, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »
Good evening peeples.

So I kinda got another job offer today.  I've got a really good friend of mine who works with me here as a filler, who is also an Operations Manager with another company. He was telling me that he's going to have to hire an area supervisor soon, and if my job with the county doesn't work out for some reason and I wind up needing a job, It's mine.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5905 on: March 16, 2016, 01:06:33 AM »
I wish I could have the women thrown at me like you're having jobs thrown at you. :P :zydar:

Nice that you've got options though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5906 on: March 16, 2016, 01:10:11 AM »
I wish I had women thrown at me like I have jobs being thrown at me.

I highly doubt I am going to fuck up this county job, but if for some reason I do, it will be nice to have his back up plan. It's fucking great that there's at least some one out there who appreciates the shit I do on a day to day basis here and who would try to poach me away from here if I weren't already leaving. I feel... loved. Lmao
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5907 on: March 16, 2016, 02:21:08 AM »
It's good to be / feel useful and wanted. :tup

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5908 on: March 16, 2016, 02:51:47 AM »
I want you to want me
I need you to need me

Sorry... I'm so fucking tired right now it's not even funny. I am out of it enough to say fuck it and log into DTF on the work computer. LMAO

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5909 on: March 16, 2016, 03:08:19 AM »
Jay go cray cray. CrayCrayOctavarium.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5910 on: March 16, 2016, 03:22:55 AM »
:lol

I'll admit... sitting in an office alone at 2:30 AM 2/3 asleep while watching 70+ CCTV feeds is fucking shit. I keep thinking I am seeing things. There is nothing to see. I'm just fucking insane.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5911 on: March 16, 2016, 03:26:17 AM »
Or maybe there are lots of criminals in the bushes waiting to steal or break everything, and you're going to be in a lot of shit tomorrow. :neverusethis:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5912 on: March 16, 2016, 04:20:59 AM »
Nah.  Unlike some people...  I'm pretty on the ball with the cameras at night.. I may not be working Graves regularly but I've done enough to know what to look for and where. 

I'll admit. I was close to drifting off to sleep at about 245. My coworker came in and said to just gtfo..  Since it's not like I had anyone coming in to relieve me., I just said fuck it and left 15min early.  What are they gonna do...  Fire me? Lmao

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5913 on: March 16, 2016, 04:26:16 AM »
You're such a rebel. You gonna get fired with that attitude, and then what? You'd have no job, that's what. Think about that one!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5914 on: March 16, 2016, 05:37:01 AM »
Hello
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens