Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese  (Read 323711 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese
« Reply #5390 on: March 06, 2016, 01:15:40 AM »
I can't remember much of it any more, and I won't mention where I gave up on it in case it's a spoiler.
I'm very picky on anything vaguely scifi/fantasy though.

So am I. There are so many damn fantasy novels out there and there isn't much that sets them apart. I read a few chapters in and then realize I've read the same thing a hundred times before. It's why I struggled with mine for the longest time until I realized something that changed the way I approached it.

The first season of Lost is one of my favourite series of a television show ever, and season two isn't far behind although it had some issues. But starting with season three, it steadily declines. I think it's because the early seasons are the characters against the island and against each other, but later on the characters are less important than the overall story and mythology, and I didn't find that as interesting. That and a lot of the new characters they introduced along the way just weren't as compelling as the originals.

It's a compelling story, but it's easy to see how the show writers could take it too far thinking they're creating more appeal.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5391 on: March 06, 2016, 04:40:53 AM »
Not sleeping John?

I was up a 3am ish too... mrs.jingle gets these extreme back pains (says it's as bad as labour pains) every so often, and naturally, they only strike in the middle of the night.  So, 3am or so, I'm trying to rub it out (and I'm NOT on the receiving end) so she isn't in agony.

Damn I'm tired.  Gonna definitely be feeling a nap this afternoon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5392 on: March 06, 2016, 04:49:11 AM »
Just got home from the scariest drive I've ever driven.  The bar my buddy played tonight is about 45min away.  I knew we were supposed to get some rain,  so I threw new wiper blades onto my Honds and left.  Good booze good music good people...  I was there from 8p till 2am. When we left (stayed to bullshit w band and help tear down.. Followed my buddy for 80% of the drive as we live in same direction)  it was raining..  5 min later,  it was fucking pouring harder than I'd seen in years.  The rain let up as we got down out of the valley part of the county and towards the coast.  I got off the freeway like 10 miles before him to take the direct  route to my house.  This consists of just 2 lane back roads.   As soon as I got off,  it began raining fucking buckets.  It was so hard that i couldn't even see to pull off to the side of the road (afraid of driving into the ditch that runs beside it.)  i spent a long amount of time driving 10mph or less with my flashers on following the road from memory.. This was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.  I even puked a little when i pulled in at home.  At that same time,  my buddy shot me a message informing me that he was home safe as well.  I have been in car accidents that could and should have seriously injured me.  Totalling both cars...  And this experience was 10x scarier than both of those combined.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5393 on: March 06, 2016, 05:06:05 AM »
Morning. Jay, you probably don't see that,kind of rain.  We do here quite a bit so I can understand how that feels like. 

Chad, I wish I could nap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5394 on: March 06, 2016, 05:07:09 AM »
I hate driving in downpours at night.

I met my now-wife when I was in college.  I went to Appalachian State, which is in the mountains of North Carolina.  She is from Mount Airy (where we now live).

I worked at a local grocery store while I was in school, and on this particular weekend, the plan was for me to drive down to visit her for the weekend on Saturday morning (I had to work at the grocery store until 11 pm Friday night).  So as soon as I got back to my apartment, I got a call from her asking me to come on down right then because she was horny.  So of course, down the mountain I went, and as soon as I hit the stretch of highway that actually goes down the mountain, here comes a fucking monsoon, while driving downhill at night on a curvy mountain road.

But hey, there was pussy on the line.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5395 on: March 06, 2016, 05:13:08 AM »
The worst ever for me was in PA.  It was a trucker highway and I pulled to the breakdown lane. It was brutal.   A lightning strike hit the ground 100 feet from us. I swallowed my heart.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5396 on: March 06, 2016, 05:13:49 AM »
Holy crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5397 on: March 06, 2016, 05:17:02 AM »
My wife and I seriously were scared for our life the lightning strike was the only time for 5 minutes we could see 2 feet in front of us.  I was worried about truck would plow into us. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5398 on: March 06, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
Morning folks. I'm actually the exact opposite, I love driving in the rain if there is no one else on the road and I can just cruise.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5399 on: March 06, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »
Not sleeping John?

I was up a 3am ish too... mrs.jingle gets these extreme back pains (says it's as bad as labour pains) every so often, and naturally, they only strike in the middle of the night.  So, 3am or so, I'm trying to rub it out (and I'm NOT on the receiving end) so she isn't in agony.

Damn I'm tired.  Gonna definitely be feeling a nap this afternoon.

No, I haven't slept yet. I usually go three or four nights a week without sleep.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5400 on: March 06, 2016, 06:00:22 AM »
That's insanity Prog

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5401 on: March 06, 2016, 06:03:13 AM »
I couldn't get to sleep until after 7am this morning (no idea how far past that it was). I'd happily avoid sleep if my body could take it. Pesky thing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5402 on: March 06, 2016, 06:04:06 AM »
Yeah, it has been happening since last summer, though it's a bit worse now. I'm already on my second cup of coffee.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5403 on: March 06, 2016, 06:24:10 AM »
John, that's not healthy man.  Go to a sleep study. I worry about you man.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5404 on: March 06, 2016, 06:39:07 AM »
Thanks, Joe. I appreciate that. I'm just at this crossroads with some things and trying to figure it all out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5405 on: March 06, 2016, 07:04:48 AM »
I think you can't shut off your brain. That's not good.  Not getting to the 4th stage of R.E.M. sleep is very dangerous.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5406 on: March 06, 2016, 07:06:26 AM »
I think you can't shut off your brain. That's not good.  Not getting to the 4th stage of R.E.M. sleep is very dangerous.

This, a sleep study could help too like King said.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5407 on: March 06, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
My brain is constantly going. It's been like that for months now. One of these days I'll remember to make an appointment during business hours. These are things I always seem to think of in the middle of the night. I'm looking into a psychologist as well. The good thing is that I haven't resorted to drinking. This is a first. Hmm

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5408 on: March 06, 2016, 07:55:28 AM »
You help me with my spelling,  I'll remind you about the appointment.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5409 on: March 06, 2016, 09:25:02 AM »
I passed my Calc I exam with 88%!

:victorydance: :victorydance:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5410 on: March 06, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
I passed my Calc I exam with 88%!

:victorydance: :victorydance:

Congrats! :tup Have you gotten back results from the rest?

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5411 on: March 06, 2016, 09:51:08 AM »
Linear Algebra I've had for a while now, and I passed that with something around 90-ish percent (the actual points were never disclosed, just the grade).

If the other two keep up their promised grading schedule, I should be getting another result tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. Legally, they are allowed to take up to 4 weeks (which would be the Monday after that).

And my fourth exam wasn't even written two weeks ago, so that's way off. Especially since our professor likes to take his sweet time with basically everything, as we found out on tests and the like. So we'll see - I'll probably have all the results before uni starts again in April. I hope.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5412 on: March 06, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »
Doing great so far. :hat I'm sure the others will be fine too.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5413 on: March 06, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
Oh yeah, I'm 99% sure that I passed the other two as well. But I'm still excited to get results.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5414 on: March 06, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »
Awesome Scorp!!!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5415 on: March 06, 2016, 11:31:57 AM »
That's great news Scorpion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #5416 on: March 06, 2016, 12:15:04 PM »
Ever have what amounts to a great night, great morning, positive early afternoon but still feel like something's off and therefore feel like gloom?
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5417 on: March 06, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »
YES!!! It's a hard feeling to describe, it's almost like a somber feeling.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5418 on: March 06, 2016, 12:39:40 PM »
I mean I know what my depression is like, but this doesn't feel like it. It's almost a sad anxiety, or despondent worry. I don't know, I just don't like it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5419 on: March 06, 2016, 12:46:08 PM »
Stress from work? Dreading going in?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5420 on: March 06, 2016, 12:51:39 PM »
Not at all. I have no explanation.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5421 on: March 06, 2016, 01:42:25 PM »
Not at all. I have no explanation.

I get that feeling. I was like that even last night. There I was, at a bar with 2 of my best friends. One of them on stage playing... beautiful women everywhere... and I spent most of the night just... down.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5422 on: March 06, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
I guess it is just my depression in a different manifestation.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5423 on: March 06, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »
Look to what you have that is most important.   I know you know what 3 I'm talking about.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5424 on: March 06, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
Bike is away again until the weather is warmer. My hands really hurt when it's cold. I was in agony the other day.

Had to fill up my sink with warm water and plunge my hands in when I got home the other day until the pain went away.

Too cold.