Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese  (Read 323999 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese
« Reply #5005 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:27 AM »
One exam on my music degree was so poorly worded and had typos and such that everyone complained and they just gave everyone a pass :lol

I really disliked Music Business. Most of the time I didn't go because our lectures *always* had "Exam Recap" lectures where they basically went over everything you needed to revise..

So I just went to those :lol

Ugh it was the worst. Not the degree. Just Music Business.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5006 on: February 29, 2016, 06:07:40 AM »
Physics. I went back to school this year and I actually like it. It's a big time commitment but I enjoy learning, it's a bit tough to get back in the swing of things, it's almost like I forgot how to study :lol

What Pink Floyd album are you listening to?

The Final Cut

I love physics, and it's one of the things I thought about going back to school for - that or math.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5007 on: February 29, 2016, 06:08:55 AM »
Morning.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5008 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:49 AM »
Is that what your degree is in Kotow?

The Final Cut, that is an album I haven't listened to in a very long time. Some great little Gilmour solos in there. I always wonder what would've happened to Pink Floyd if they released the Final Cut before The Wall.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5009 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:57 AM »
Morning King

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5010 on: February 29, 2016, 06:13:46 AM »
Morning, King. Everything alright?

The Final Cut, that is an album I haven't listened to in a very long time. Some great little Gilmour solos in there. I always wonder what would've happened to Pink Floyd if they released the Final Cut before The Wall.

The solo in Fletcher Memorial is beautiful. There are a few great songs on the album. Now I'm listening to A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5011 on: February 29, 2016, 06:15:20 AM »
YES!!! AMLOR!

That was the first album I ever heard, I was like 6 at the time and I remember getting the disk out listening to it on a loop when I was a kid. I know a lot of people don't care for it but I love it. I was also obsessed with watching the VHS of Delicate Sound of Thunder.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5012 on: February 29, 2016, 06:16:14 AM »
Yup.  Just dug into paperwork early and didn't log on.  I also have a very good worker who feels like he can't advance so I had a sitdown with him.  He's a single dad and can't work at other sites sometimes because of his 3 boys so I wanted to assure him it was more about him just not able to go because of his children.  I have the utmost confidence in him and his ability.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5013 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:07 AM »

It would have been if I'd finished it. I did my final exam but just never bothered with my dissertation.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5014 on: February 29, 2016, 06:30:40 AM »
Yup.  Just dug into paperwork early and didn't log on.  I also have a very good worker who feels like he can't advance so I had a sitdown with him.  He's a single dad and can't work at other sites sometimes because of his 3 boys so I wanted to assure him it was more about him just not able to go because of his children.  I have the utmost confidence in him and his ability.

I could just tell something was on your mind by your simple "morning" post. Usually you start off with something sarcastic or hysterically snarky. I just wanted to make sure you were alright.

YES!!! AMLOR!

That was the first album I ever heard, I was like 6 at the time and I remember getting the disk out listening to it on a loop when I was a kid. I know a lot of people don't care for it but I love it. I was also obsessed with watching the VHS of Delicate Sound of Thunder.

I definitely enjoy it. On The Turning Away is a killer song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5015 on: February 29, 2016, 06:41:14 AM »
Thanks John.  He's a good kid and I worry that he doesn't think highly of him.  Far from the truth but him being a single dad does hurt him going to help other sites.  He's got to look at the better picture that he has the boys not the crazy ex.  That's what matters.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5016 on: February 29, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »
Thanks John.  He's a good kid and I worry that he doesn't think highly of him.  Far from the truth but him being a single dad does hurt him going to help other sites.  He's got to look at the better picture that he has the boys not the crazy ex.  That's what matters.

He will over time. I think his fear comes from not being able to support them if he were to lose his job, so I think if you instill it in him that he's fine, that stress will disappear.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5017 on: February 29, 2016, 06:51:46 AM »
I think he's bored.  He's a very smart kid and is wondering if he's hit the ceiling here.  He's making great money for a manual labor job but that's because he deserves it.  Some people need more.  I get that, he's got to understand his children sometimes stops him from traveling and I know that sucks but his kids should come first.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5018 on: February 29, 2016, 07:00:37 AM »
I can relate to the hitting the ceiling point, it sucks when you reach a point and you feel like you can't progress any further.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5019 on: February 29, 2016, 07:01:31 AM »
Speak to him about it then. Maybe he does feel like he's cornered. Ask him what he wants out of the job in the future, so you can at least get a better idea of what he's after.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5020 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »
I did and I will talk to my boss about the opportunities.  The only problem ism the next step is to have his own site and he would have to move which he can't but he can still go to the other sites and show his worth.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #5021 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:16 AM »
Morning all. Bit of a hectic morning, but at least it's mild out.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5022 on: February 29, 2016, 07:44:54 AM »
Good morning Hyper.

It's pretty mild here as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5023 on: February 29, 2016, 07:46:16 AM »
Low 60's today in NH, then low 30's as a high later this week.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5024 on: February 29, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »
Yeah same here, king. They are even saying we could get some rain/snow mix by Friday with a high in the 30s.....only to rise back up to the 60s by next week.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5025 on: February 29, 2016, 07:50:42 AM »
Spring is trying it's best to kick winter in the butt.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5026 on: February 29, 2016, 08:10:29 AM »
So I just read that Starbucks is opening its first store in Milan, Italy. I don't know, but to me it seems like going out for coffee in Italy but buying from Starbucks would be a little like going out to dinner in Paris but eating at McDonald's.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5027 on: February 29, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »
"Yep. You've got fungus." That's how my weekend started on a Friday afternoon visit with my dermatologist.  Hope everyone had a better one than I did.  :)

Morning.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5028 on: February 29, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »
Magic mushrooms?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5029 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »
No thanks.

Morning, all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5030 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
HTC Vive now has confirmed price and date, around the same time as the Rift. The Rift will cost about $1100AUS. The Vive will cost around $1300AUS. I don't think either of those factors in import tax either. Ouch. Plus a new graphics card to run it, because I don't use a gamer card.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5031 on: February 29, 2016, 08:43:35 AM »
With all the tech I follow and gadgets I use, I have zero interest in VR for the time being.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5032 on: February 29, 2016, 08:45:47 AM »
I basically do nothing but 3D graphics, so it's of much interest to me for many applications. Not sure I can justify it right now at those prices though. Stupid weak dollarydoos.

*waits for king or something else to quote only the first 4 words of this post*

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5033 on: February 29, 2016, 08:48:39 AM »
So I just read that Starbucks is opening its first store in Milan, Italy. I don't know, but to me it seems like going out for coffee in Italy but buying from Starbucks would be a little like going out to dinner in Paris but eating at McDonald's.

Hey Hey Hey, I went to McDonalds in Paris. I go to McDonalds in every country just so I can compare it to the states. So far France, England, and Canada have tastier McDonalds than the states.

HTC Vive now has confirmed price and date, around the same time as the Rift. The Rift will cost about $1100AUS. The Vive will cost around $1300AUS. I don't think either of those factors in import tax either. Ouch. Plus a new graphics card to run it, because I don't use a gamer card.

I have a pretty powerful gaming rig that meets the requirements and my brother and I are discussing going half on the vive or rift. I think we decided to give it some time and see how it plays out after they get released. I did try the Samsung Gear VR and I was blown away by what the phone can do so I can't even imagine the rift or vive.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5034 on: February 29, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »

I have a pretty powerful gaming rig that meets the requirements and my brother and I are discussing going half on the vive or rift. I think we decided to give it some time and see how it plays out after they get released. I did try the Samsung Gear VR and I was blown away by what the phone can do so I can't even imagine the rift or vive.

If you've already got the rig, and are in the US and going halves, that would be a very reasonable price for VR.
I could have bought a great gaming card, but I just didn't want a graphics card that required its own power substation and could melt steel beams, and it wasn't my priority. Plus this was 3 years ago now. The dilemma is that I still don't want to get a gamer card, because it can't do 10 bit colour like my Quadro can, but the price for a Quadro that meets the minimum specs would be stupidly stupid.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5035 on: February 29, 2016, 08:52:50 AM »
Hey Hey Hey, I went to McDonalds in Paris. I go to McDonalds in every country just so I can compare it to the states. So far France, England, and Canada have tastier McDonalds than the states.

My simile was more in reference to Paris being a world capital for fine dining, ergo going out to dinner there but choosing fast food would be a bit of a travesty (speaking in terms of relative quality of food). Italy, as such, can also be considered a key place for fine coffee, and Sbux opening there is kinda like opening the chain crap next door to the exquisite homegrown alternatives.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5036 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
Starting tomorrow, mid-60's for the daytime high and above 40 for the overnight lows. I had to wear sunglasses while driving both to and from work last week. Aaaaaaah, Spring: when a middle-aged man's thoughts turn to golf!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5037 on: February 29, 2016, 09:10:07 AM »

My simile was more in reference to Paris being a world capital for fine dining, ergo going out to dinner there but choosing fast food would be a bit of a travesty (speaking in terms of relative quality of food). Italy, as such, can also be considered a key place for fine coffee, and Sbux opening there is kinda like opening the chain crap next door to the exquisite homegrown alternatives.

Oh I know. I bet that starbucks still gets a ton of business in Italy.

If you've already got the rig, and are in the US and going halves, that would be a very reasonable price for VR.
I could have bought a great gaming card, but I just didn't want a graphics card that required its own power substation and could melt steel beams, and it wasn't my priority. Plus this was 3 years ago now. The dilemma is that I still don't want to get a gamer card, because it can't do 10 bit colour like my Quadro can, but the price for a Quadro that meets the minimum specs would be stupidly stupid.

The decision is which VR to get also, I'm leaning towards the vive because I have an extra bedroom that isn't used for it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5038 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:54 AM »
The decision is which VR to get also, I'm leaning towards the vive because I have an extra bedroom that isn't used for it.

At this point I have no strong preference for one or the other, except for maybe cost. That's also another reason it might be better for me to wait a bit and see what the feedback is.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5039 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »
So recently, Adami made his glorious return.  Recently, YtseBitsySpider has started reposting again after many months away, here and there.

Please, if there is a god up there, PLEASE let LeeHarveyKennedy come back also.