Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese  (Read 323873 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese
« Reply #4725 on: February 23, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
Jay,

I'm not certain, but It's likely that, unless you are appointed, there is a "merit system" in your local government that essentially gives you property rights to your job once you've passed the probationary period. Yes, it can be a bit of a nail biting experience getting through probation, but due to the nature of government (top level management being voted in or out every four years) there are protections to keep the system running by making it impossible to "be let go with no reason given." Essential public services would come to a complete halt if all the experienced people were let go whenever a new regime was put into place.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't be fired, especially if a law has been broken, but it does mean there are a great deal of steps that must be followed. (1)Verbal warning (2)1st Written Warning with corrective action plan, (3) 2nd Written Warning with new probationary period. Etc.

Do a good job, serve the public proudly and kiss the correct ass and you should do fine!

Best of luck.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4726 on: February 23, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »
Evening gents

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4727 on: February 23, 2016, 04:59:44 PM »
Hey, Prog. Still mad at me?  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4728 on: February 23, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »
Mad? Did I miss something?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4729 on: February 23, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »
Nah, the whole "cliche" exchange had me wondering if the teasing went to far, but no, I didn't really think you were mad. I still think your stealing the cannolis comment was the funniest thing you've ever said.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4730 on: February 23, 2016, 05:32:30 PM »
Hello bitches.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4731 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
Hey, King!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4732 on: February 23, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »
What's happening?   I just finished making a mac and cheese with smoked gouda,  sautéed mushrooms and onions and panko breadcrumbs.

Now sipping on Caskmates on the rocks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4733 on: February 23, 2016, 05:47:29 PM »
Nah, the whole "cliche" exchange had me wondering if the teasing went to far, but no, I didn't really think you were mad. I still think your stealing the cannolis comment was the funniest thing you've ever said.

I have pretty broad shoulders, so it would take a lot for someone to offend me.   :) 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4734 on: February 23, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »
Let me mistype then.  Lol.

Going with my boss and wife tomorrow night to the Smuttynose restaurant next to the brewery.  Love that place.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4735 on: February 23, 2016, 06:17:33 PM »
Wait...Smuttynose... They make beers right?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4736 on: February 23, 2016, 06:22:36 PM »
Yup. Their restaurant is killer and we'll hell, the beers are dynamite as well. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4737 on: February 23, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »
It's their pumpkin ale I was specifically thinking of. They have it at the beer distributor here.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4738 on: February 23, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »
They make a big beers series and another called Smuttlabs for experimental beers. I can't get enough.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4739 on: February 23, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
god, that sounds too much like big boobs and slut labs. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4740 on: February 23, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »
Exactly. *Looks at wife*

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4741 on: February 23, 2016, 07:04:38 PM »
She's dealt with enough. Lever her be.  lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4742 on: February 23, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Once you go Joe, you've had enough for the year. :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4743 on: February 24, 2016, 01:26:31 AM »
Good (very late) evening peeps. Came home to a cold dinner because I wound up staying a half hour late at work.  Had to send someone home tonight. Had to do the same thing last Tues... and this was his first shift back after that. Can't go into much but... some people are just fucking morons.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #4744 on: February 24, 2016, 04:39:44 AM »
Morning. Another grey, wet day. I hope I get some energy soon, because right now I feel like I'm dragging again.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4745 on: February 24, 2016, 05:11:11 AM »
Yeah for some reason it's easier to deal with bad news when it's a lovely sunny day.

I get so miserable in the winter it's unreal.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4746 on: February 24, 2016, 05:31:06 AM »
Morning, guys. It's a bit chilly outside but the temperature is going to gradually increase until it hits the upper 50s later tonight.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4747 on: February 24, 2016, 05:33:37 AM »
So recently i've bought my motorbike a new Battery, A new on/off switch and starter button c-c-c-c-ombo and now a new chain.

back to playing the " what will break next ? " game :lol

But at least it's a lot cheaper than owning a car.

I ran out of petrol yesterday so i had to put it on reserve to get to a station. Cost £4.50 to fill up !

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4748 on: February 24, 2016, 06:33:52 AM »
Supposed to reach 60 today. I suppose that offsets the nearly constant percolation from the heavens.
I came in to zero relevant emails in my inbox, so that is a good start to the day. Maybe I'll be able to get the creativity back flowing today. Here's to hoping.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4749 on: February 24, 2016, 06:39:47 AM »
I didn't realize you were on the east coast. The warmer weather is a welcome wonderment.  Yes, that alliteration was intentional.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4750 on: February 24, 2016, 06:45:58 AM »
Yeah definitely on the East Coast...we were both at the 4/1 meetup, remember? (Not that that specifically means anything, but yeah.)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4751 on: February 24, 2016, 06:49:55 AM »
Vaguely. I was so high on pain meds that I don't remember all of the details. If I hadn't taken those meds, I would have never been able to sit or stand for the entire time.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4752 on: February 24, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »
Good morning! Tornado warning here and we have some intense rain right now. It's a really nice change of pace.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4753 on: February 24, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »
Morning, Reap. Be careful out there.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4754 on: February 24, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
So far today has been okay, but utterly unproductive. Have to get my ass in gear.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4755 on: February 24, 2016, 07:50:20 AM »
Yeah definitely on the East Coast...we were both at the 4/1 meetup, remember? (Not that that specifically means anything, but yeah.)
I was there too, but didn't meet all that many people.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4756 on: February 24, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »
Well I specifically remember seeing him and nodding hello. And I remember you breaking the hat. That day was such a whirlwind but I tried to make a point to go everywhere in that room.
I even remember spending a good 45 minutes faking a Scots accent with Gil for no apparent reason other than it sounded cool to my inebriated mind.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4757 on: February 24, 2016, 09:09:18 AM »
I've listened to the Lion King soundtrack at least a dozen times in the last three days. So good.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4758 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
I've been listening to a Google Play radio station based on God Is An Astronaut - loooooooooove.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4759 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:05 AM »
I remember you breaking the hat.

That photo was taken mere seconds before the breaking of the hat.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.