Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese  (Read 319342 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese
« Reply #770 on: December 11, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »
Crowded around here this morning.

At least it's Friday.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #771 on: December 11, 2015, 06:36:21 AM »
Fixing up production from home.  Not going in. Going Christmas shopping today.  Got to bring pizza in at 8pm foe the weekend night crew though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #772 on: December 11, 2015, 06:42:59 AM »
Nice, Nef. Are you going anywhere special?

Not going anywhere, I'm not the going away vacation type.
I rather stay at home and enjoy music toys, computer toys, or toy toys to play with.
And buy some new ones, hopefully.

Greetings...
Nef

There's nothing wrong with that. Toys are good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: December 11, 2015, 06:43:38 AM »
We were supposed to have snow overnight and woke up to nothing. I was hoping to work from home today too, King. Not to be.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #774 on: December 11, 2015, 06:46:40 AM »
Well, I never take many days off but it's good to get the guys to run it without me once in a while.  They need to feel that urgency.  3 more weeks and we will be slow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: December 11, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
Nothing like, "trial by fire." That's how I learned.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #776 on: December 11, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
Nothing like, "trial by fire."

Trial By Fire was a terrible Journey album. :neverusethis:

I just calibrated my new monitor. Nice and easy. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #777 on: December 11, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
Don't fracture this Blob. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #778 on: December 11, 2015, 06:54:12 AM »
 :tup

I need to look up that process. I understand I can rent a hardware calibrator to get my monitor dialed in (as close as it will go, anyway).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: December 11, 2015, 06:55:51 AM »
:tup

I need to look up that process. I understand I can rent a hardware calibrator to get my monitor dialed in (as close as it will go, anyway).

To do it properly, it's best with a monitor that actually supports hardware calibration, rather than just software. I now have presets for sRGB at 80cd/m, 100cd/m, and 120cd/m. I liked 120cd/m the best, so I'm going with that for now. :blob:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: December 11, 2015, 07:02:18 AM »
Blob, you missed the Steve Perry reference?

My brother got a 65" plasma TV and had the company calibrate it before shipping it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2015, 07:12:40 AM »
I just did a little reading, Blob.

Yeah, I didn't understand the process properly. It's probably best just to go with the factory calibration that came with my monitor. Since I'm primarily concerned with having my edited family pictures print accurately to what I'm seeing on the monitor, it's not really that big of a deal. For the most part, things turn out fine if just a bit off on the temperature. I'll just need to compare and adjust from there.

Otherwise, I'd need to pick a specific lab and have them calibrate the monitor (and Photoshop) to their equipment.

Besides, standards are better than ever and it's not likely that I'll send something to a print lab and get a dramatically off color.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: December 11, 2015, 07:22:44 AM »

Yeah, I didn't understand the process properly. It's probably best just to go with the factory calibration that came with my monitor. Since I'm primarily concerned with having my edited family pictures print accurately to what I'm seeing on the monitor, it's not really that big of a deal. For the most part, things turn out fine if just a bit off on the temperature. I'll just need to compare and adjust from there.

Otherwise, I'd need to pick a specific lab and have them calibrate the monitor (and Photoshop) to their equipment.

Besides, standards are better than ever and it's not likely that I'll send something to a print lab and get a dramatically off color.

The most important thing is to make sure your monitor is set to a reasonable brightness (the defaults on 95% of LCDs are about twice as bright as they should be, especially to emulate paper), and try to adjust your gamma, which you can do with a test image and your graphics card software. And try to set your monitor's colour temperature to something neutral (printing should be set to warmer than what most monitors are defaulted to). Most monitors have no standards, but print labs are probably used to compensating for average consumer equipment unless they're aimed specifically at pros.
Doing graphics, it's such piece of mind to know my monitor is displaying objectively correct colours. One less thing to concern myself with when uploading videos to the internet, or doing video for other people.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #783 on: December 11, 2015, 07:30:28 AM »
Morning, guys.

Hey, it's Friday.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: December 11, 2015, 07:32:27 AM »

The most important thing is to make sure your monitor is set to a reasonable brightness (the defaults on 95% of LCDs are about twice as bright as they should be, especially to emulate paper), and try to adjust your gamma, which you can do with a test image and your graphics card software. And try to set your monitor's colour temperature to something neutral (printing should be set to warmer than what most monitors are defaulted to). Most monitors have no standards, but print labs are probably used to compensating for average consumer equipment unless they're aimed specifically at pros.
Doing graphics, it's such piece of mind to know my monitor is displaying objectively correct colours. One less thing to concern myself with when uploading videos to the internet, or doing video for other people.

While I don't do graphics that monitor that I have was way way too bright when I first got it out of the box. Like eyes tearing up bright.

Morning Hef, I have decided that tonight I'm making a pan pizza.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #785 on: December 11, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
While I don't do graphics that monitor that I have was way way too bright when I first got it out of the box. Like eyes tearing up bright.

Every time someone complains about white backgrounds on the internet hurting their eyes, I want to kick them in the e-balls for not realizing their cheap-ass monitor is set to retina searing levels of horribleness.
This monitor was set to 29% brightness out of the box.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #786 on: December 11, 2015, 07:36:34 AM »
Pizza sounds good.

We are meeting some old friends for dinner, then heading back to their place to catch up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #787 on: December 11, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »

Every time someone complains about white backgrounds on the internet hurting their eyes, I want to kick them in the e-balls for not realizing their cheap-ass monitor is set to retina searing levels of horribleness.

I installed f.lux on my Mac, which automatically adjusts not only the brightness, but hue and contrast as well - based on sunrise/sunset.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's cool.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: December 11, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »

I installed f.lux on my Mac, which automatically adjusts not only the brightness, but hue and contrast as well - based on sunrise/sunset.  Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's cool.

That would be an awful idea for image quality and consistency, as it's assuming the colour temp of the ambient light (ie flourescent/incandescent vs natural daylight colour temps, which can all vary greatly), and brightness. It would be a much better idea to have a more controlled environment for working at the computer.
I'm not sure if that can access the monitor settings directly being a Mac, but if that's done in software, that would be even worse.

Yes, I'm a computer/graphics snob. This is not news. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: December 11, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »

I've been a user of f.lux for a long time and I love it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #790 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
4 final exams next week (2 on monday, theory / brass survey; 1 on tuesday, history; and one on wednesday, performance jury), then I make the long 4-5 hour long drive home at around noon on wednesday. Then I see Star Wars on Thursday. Then I watch the third Democratic Presidential Debate on Saturday.

Going to be a fun week.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #791 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
Fuck, I don't miss exams.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #792 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: December 11, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
I never minded them really.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #795 on: December 11, 2015, 12:46:55 PM »
60 degrees in New York during December...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: December 11, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
That is pretty warm Prog. It's in the 80's here :(

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #797 on: December 11, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
The 80s sound lovely right now.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: December 11, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
The 80s sound lovely right now.

It wasn't that lovely.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #799 on: December 11, 2015, 04:34:13 PM »
Is that King in the middle?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #800 on: December 11, 2015, 05:41:25 PM »
I am so sick of stupid people. I'm stuck going in at 3am tomorrow morning because of the dumbfucks I work with.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #801 on: December 11, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »

My mullet was more Richard Marx, not so Billy Ray Cyrus.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #802 on: December 11, 2015, 06:13:31 PM »

My mullet was more Richard Marx, not so Billy Ray Cyrus.

What a handsome fucker you must have been

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: December 11, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »
There were endless summer nights let me tell you.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #804 on: December 12, 2015, 02:06:56 AM »
There were endless summer nights let me tell you.

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.