Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese  (Read 323414 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. Kinginese
« Reply #6370 on: March 28, 2016, 06:39:44 AM »
That's ok John. At least it's set up.  I need to stop eating because I'm stressed. I've got to fill that gap with water.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6371 on: March 28, 2016, 06:56:59 AM »
Here are a couple of articles that mention non-prescription options. There have been extensive studies done on the effect that L-Tyrosine has on those with ADHD. Other herbs such as ginkgo, gotu kola, and red ginseng have also been used successfully.  Remember, using herbs is the same as with anything. It's not always going to work in everyone since we are all different and everybody processes things differently. When you do your research, make sure wherever you get information from is not based on junk/pseudoscience.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/335432-the-best-supplements-for-an-add-inattentive/

https://blog.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/2012/07/02/manage_add_and_adhd_naturally/

Puritan's Pride is an excellent website for supplements and vitamins and they're reasonably prices. I use them all of the time.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6372 on: March 28, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »
Just remembered my 4.5% raise goes into effect on Friday  :metal Basically going to cover my car payment every month.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #6373 on: March 28, 2016, 06:59:52 AM »
I've done some research on ADHD and I'm convinced I have it as well. Focus has always been a huge struggle for, even with things that I like. For example I love riding my motorcycle but the moment I get on I start thinking of something else I want to do. I'll start playing a video game but then immediately want to do something else. It's like that in all aspects of my life. Focus past 30 minutes doesn't really exist in my world.

Sounds very familiar :lol

Morning, Reap.

Jay, I'll look into it. What you could do to keep your mind focused is find all of the nuggets on Octavarium.  ;)

To be honest, when I first heard about the nuggetz in Octavarium, I become obsessive with finding them. Hell, I am obsessive with reoccurring themes in general in music.

ADHD buddies unite! :lol
If any of you guys come up with something, tell me! These days I have a little timer program on my computer and I set myself a goal to work for 15 minutes straight without getting distracted by anything else. Any more than that, and I tend to drift these days. And also because of my ADHD I forget about using the timer and end up spending an hour on the internet looking up random shit.

I was reading on this and taking notes but got distracted by DTF.

So far a lot of strategies on staying organized and apps for  time management and routines. Essentially I've learned that the best way to combat it is through setting up strict routines. It's almost like anti OCD... Have to force myself to almost become OCD because following a routine (even down to where I put my wallet and keys down when I get home every day) is the best way not to forget anything. The issue is forcing myself to follow the routine.

Here are a couple of articles that mention non-prescription options. There have been extensive studies done on the effect that L-Tyrosine has on those with ADHD. Other herbs such as ginkgo, gotu kola, and red ginseng have also been used successfully.  Remember, using herbs is the same as with anything. It's not always going to work in everyone since we are all different and everybody processes things differently. When you do your research, make sure wherever you get information from is not based on junk/pseudoscience.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/335432-the-best-supplements-for-an-add-inattentive/

https://blog.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/2012/07/02/manage_add_and_adhd_naturally/

Puritan's Pride is an excellent website for supplements and vitamins and they're reasonably prices. I use them all of the time.

I'll do some looking in to those when I am not at work. Being on DTF is pushing it... and my phone data is throttled at the moment... the most I can get to load are Reddit and Facebook. lol

Thanks!

Just remembered my 4.5% raise goes into effect on Friday  :metal Basically going to cover my car payment every month.

Gratz new best friend! Wanna meet up for lunch later? Your treat? Cool thanks!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6374 on: March 28, 2016, 07:04:50 AM »
Morning, Reap.

Jay, I'll look into it. What you could do to keep your mind focused is find all of the nuggets on Octavarium.  ;)

To be honest, when I first heard about the nuggetz in Octavarium, I become obsessive with finding them. Hell, I am obsessive with reoccurring themes in general in music.

I'm the same way. My obsessive compulsive tendencies are a real bitch sometimes. They don't provide for easy relationships.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6375 on: March 28, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »
I get a lot of shit because I can remember every reference in Octavarium and where they stem from, but I can't remember what Panda said to me 15 seconds ago.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6376 on: March 28, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »
I attempted to clean my room yesterday. Here's how it went  (as I explained it on Reddit)

Start picking things up.
Find a glass which needs to be washed.
Wash glass.
Notice that there are more dishes to be done.
Do dishes.
Go back to room. Sit down to figure out what I'm going to do next.
Phone goes off. Read text. Notice Email from work.
Open up laptop (now all bets are off). Read and reply to email.
Go on Reddit.
Realize I need to piss.
Get up to take a piss.
Trip over trash bag.
Take trash out.
While down stairs, remember I need to pull cat litter up from garage.
Grab Litter
Change cat box.
Receive another text.
Go on reddit on phone.
Phone dying.
Go into living room, plug it in
Realize that Laptop should be put back on charger. Do so.
Open up laptop again just to check battery.
Realize I have Chrome open still. Hey look! Reddit!
Realize I've been sitting here for an hour... and I started my room 2.5 hours ago.
Say "fuck it".

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6377 on: March 28, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
I get a lot of shit because I can remember every reference in Octavarium and where they stem from, but I can't remember what Panda said to me 15 seconds ago.

That's because it requires different types of memory. My ex would get on my case about the same thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6378 on: March 28, 2016, 07:20:36 AM »
I have a shit memory for certain types of information, but excellent at other things. I appear to have no memory for random words, eg. proper nouns. I can watch a TV show for years and still struggle to name the main characters.
But I have a great memory for things I've done/experienced.
That's why I learn badly from just reading about something, but I learn it well if it's something I've done or seen.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6379 on: March 28, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
Working memory vs long term memory (I don't remember the technical term for the second one)

I know this is probably not the best way to describe it (because I am a tech tard) but it's like I am a computer with a really fast single core processor and huge hard drive but very little ram. I can't process a ton of info at once. I have to take it in chunks.

Or juggling. I can throw a single ball in the air and catch it. Or I can throw multiple balls in the air one at a time and catch them... but if I tried to do it all at once.. I'd drop everything... say FUCK IT... and walk away.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6380 on: March 28, 2016, 07:27:54 AM »
I know this is probably not the best way to describe it (because I am a tech tard) but it's like I am a computer with a really fast single core processor and huge hard drive but very little ram. I can't process a ton of info at once. I have to take it in chunks.

That's similar to how I've always thought of it, and also running an OS that can't multitask.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6381 on: March 28, 2016, 07:29:19 AM »
Fucking running shit in the background

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6382 on: March 28, 2016, 07:29:37 AM »

You have a huge hard...drive?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6383 on: March 28, 2016, 07:30:49 AM »
Solid State :zydar:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6384 on: March 28, 2016, 07:35:30 AM »
Solid State :zydar:

And solid state drives come in either 2.5" or 3.5" size. :zydar:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6385 on: March 28, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »
 :\

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6386 on: March 28, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »
Blob, with your post, it just turned into a floppy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6387 on: March 28, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
Blob, with your post, it just turned into a floppy.

I tend to have that effect on people. :zydarscouch:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6388 on: March 28, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :yarr

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6389 on: March 28, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
 :lol

I'm off to a meeting. I'll catch up with everyone later.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6390 on: March 28, 2016, 08:15:13 AM »
What a bunch of zeros.  Well with ones mixed in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6391 on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »
Off to see Maiden on Wednesday.  Stoked.  We'll be meeting up with a group of folks that get together for the M3 festival every year, at Stout on 33rd Street.  Beer menu here:

https://www.msg.stoutnyc.com/menu.php

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6392 on: March 28, 2016, 09:28:37 AM »
Morning
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6393 on: March 28, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Morning  Hef.

Coz.  :metal

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6394 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
Plenty of new offerings for me to try there.  Booyah.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #6395 on: March 28, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
Morning all!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6396 on: March 28, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »
Trying to familiarize myself with the new songs Maiden is doing.  The music video for Speed of Light may be one of the coolest music videos ever.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6397 on: March 28, 2016, 10:22:48 AM »
It's a rockin tune Coz.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6398 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »
It is.  The Red and the Black is about 9 minutes longer than it should be.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6399 on: March 28, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »
I was never a fan of Maiden.  Just couldn't get into them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6400 on: March 28, 2016, 10:40:36 AM »
Some of it I like, some I could do without.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6401 on: March 28, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »
Hey guys

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6402 on: March 28, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
I've done about 8 minutes worth of real, actual work today. I'm struggling hard.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6403 on: March 28, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »
Rain hard here.  Safety meeting soon and then I split at 3.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6404 on: March 28, 2016, 12:29:15 PM »
I've done about 8 minutes worth of real, actual work today. I'm struggling hard.

Take a break; you've earned it.