Author Topic: If DT were an all girl band...  (Read 13542 times)

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
Re: If DT were an all girl band...
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »
Sorry, Nancy. My gate doesn't swing that way!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »
Sorry, Nancy. My gate doesn't swing that way!

Geez, that's embarrassing. Your posts come across as aggressively homoerotic, and I thought you were just playing hard-to-get.  :blush
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2015, 11:42:39 PM »
If that's how you're interpreting my posts, I think that says more about YOU than it does about ME...
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:31 PM »
If that's how you're interpreting my posts, I think that says more about YOU than it does about ME...

How else is a person supposed to interpret literal ALL CAPS RAGE, taking the Internet seriously, and whining like a big girl?
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2015, 11:46:35 PM »
"yeshaberto is viewing this thread"
we're all fucked
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »
"yeshaberto is viewing this thread"
we're all fucked

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2015, 11:51:31 PM »
Nothingface, I've warned you a couple of times already and you don't seem to get it. We expect people to act respectfully here. Have a week off. If, in a week, you're able to abide by the rules, then you're welcome to be part of the community. If you can't, then you'll be gone permanently.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »
If these argues are going to continue over the original joking and childish nature of the post, I'd rather have this thread locked, really, it's no use.

You're right.

I, for one, am sorry, and I was just thinking about posting a message saying that we should get back on-topic.

I was trying to get these kids to back off, and I guess I just got carried away.

But I DID say in that first post that I don't think there will ever be an "all-girl" prog band. But that's mostly because the interest just doesn't seem to be there.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2015, 11:56:14 PM »
Please, end this thread, before something else happens, I beg you.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2015, 12:03:43 AM »
*Getting in one last post before the thread closes.*

Offline pcs90

« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:55 AM »
*Getting in one last post before the thread closes.*
If it even does.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2015, 03:18:38 AM »
Whoa, what happened here.

I was expecting more photoshop and funny band member names.

By the way, about female guitarists, how about Lori Linstruth (Guilt Machine, Stream of Passion)?  She's pretty prog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtiqmx4bOGA

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2015, 04:20:10 AM »
Yeah, cleanup on isle 13 required.

Damn, how could I forget about Lori? She would fit the bill, certainly!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2015, 05:31:39 AM »
I just read the whole thread because I thought it could be funny but that was just 4 pages of crap. 2 too funny pictures from CDrice  ( :clap: ) but overall c'mon guys and girls, don't be assholes.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2015, 07:13:55 AM »
prog band
interest just doesn't seem to be there.

This pretty much said it, for my tastes.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2015, 08:47:44 AM »

Offline porcacultor

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
Nothingface and chaossystem, you guys got off easy.  If I had gotten to this before ariich, it would have been a perm ban for Nothingface and another temp ban for chaossystem with a warning that ANY infraction in the future, no matter how minor, would result in a perm.  But @chaossystem, I appreciate that you eventually backed off, and that is noted.

Now back "on topic," such as it is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »
prog band

Are you saying that you have little or no love for progressive rock?

I think you misquoted me.

The point I was trying to make is that FEMALE musicians don't seem to have much interest in creating this kind of music.

Sure, you can dig really deep and find a few ladies who play and/or sing something other than pop, metal or country, but even if the amount of female metal bands is only about 5 or 10 per cent-and I'm not saying it isn't HIGHER than that-it at least APPEARS that the number of women who have any interest in keeping the progressive flame alive is less than ONE per cent.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:35 PM »
Yup.  Very true.  But that being said, there are female musicians (primarily vocalists) who are involved in some bands that do have some progressive leanings, even if you might not really classify them as true prog rock or prog metal bands.  Personally, I make somewhat of a separation between symphonic and/or power metal on one hand vs. prog metal on the other hand.  The distinction is valid because the former draws most of its non-metal influence from classical whereas the latter tends to draw more from jazz.  However, there is still considerable overlap, and many symphonic or power metal bands have plenty of progressive elements, and many of those have female vocalists who are heavily involved in the songwriting.  So there are some out there.  And those are sure to have an influence on other female musicians.  So it would not surprise me to eventually see an all-female prog band, or at least a prog band that has several female players.  But again, your overall point largely stands and cannot really be disputed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
I've always thought it was strange that bands that have a classical influence are considered "power metal" (a term I've always hated) but not progressive, but progressive bands are considered to be jazz-influenced.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
Most female voices in prog music I don't like.  The all are too whispery for my liking.  I would love to hear a voice like Ann Wilson singing in a prog band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mrrct

« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
Yup.  Very true.  But that being said, there are female musicians (primarily vocalists) who are involved in some bands that do have some progressive leanings, even if you might not really classify them as true prog rock or prog metal bands.  Personally, I make somewhat of a separation between symphonic and/or power metal on one hand vs. prog metal on the other hand.  The distinction is valid because the former draws most of its non-metal influence from classical whereas the latter tends to draw more from jazz.  However, there is still considerable overlap, and many symphonic or power metal bands have plenty of progressive elements, and many of those have female vocalists who are heavily involved in the songwriting.  So there are some out there.  And those are sure to have an influence on other female musicians.  So it would not surprise me to eventually see an all-female prog band, or at least a prog band that has several female players.  But again, your overall point largely stands and cannot really be disputed.

After Forever and its spiritual successor, ReVamp, both kind of toe the line between Symphonic/Power and Progressive Metal.

Most female voices in prog music I don't like.  The all are too whispery for my liking.  I would love to hear a voice like Ann Wilson singing in a prog band.

Floor Jansen (of the two aforementioned bands) can do it all.  She also covered Heart's "Alone," admittedly not Heart's most rocking song.  The fact that she wasn't used even close to her capabilities on the last Nightwish was extremely disappointing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »

I cannot stand wimpy whispery breathy "just woke up" female singers.

I much prefer female singers like Tori Amos or Pj Harvey who belt it out a bit more.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2015, 02:36:21 PM »
I agree.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
I've always thought it was strange that bands that have a classical influence are considered "power metal" (a term I've always hated) but not progressive, but progressive bands are considered to be jazz-influenced.

I think it is just the history of how the sub-genres evolved.  "Power metal" (I'm just using the established term) grew out of metal that just had heavy classical influences.  "Progressive metal" basically fused together progressive rock and metal, and progressive rock grew out of rock that infused a jazz influence.  Those early prog bands were just doing things that was associated with jazz, so that is how the sub-genre came to be.  It's not so much about drawing lines as it is just observing how these two branches of the same tree grew in similar, but slightly different directions.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
prog band

Are you saying that you have little or no love for progressive rock?

I think you misquoted me.

The point I was trying to make is that FEMALE musicians don't seem to have much interest in creating this kind of music.

Sure, you can dig really deep and find a few ladies who play and/or sing something other than pop, metal or country, but even if the amount of female metal bands is only about 5 or 10 per cent-and I'm not saying it isn't HIGHER than that-it at least APPEARS that the number of women who have any interest in keeping the progressive flame alive is less than ONE per cent.

Yes, I purposely selectively quoted you, because I'm not a prog fan.  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
while I'm not a huge fan of Halestorm either, I would take Lzzy Hale in a heartbeat too.

Oh, you can bet I would take Lzzy Hale in a heartbeat as well  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mastermax0213

• Dream Theater, no 1 prog band.
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2016, 04:53:10 PM »
Daddys back!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2018, 03:48:30 PM »
This was the best thread I made here, unfortunately it derailed into senseless arguing which involved 2 bans, would have liked to have more images and fun stuff, CDrice was god in that.

Either way, would you still have DT as an all girl band?  :rollin
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Nah! I really like my metal masculine!  :yarr :metal Heart was great, but still....

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2018, 10:42:45 PM »
Uh, I don't think I ever apologized for being kind of a dick back then. :|

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2018, 01:30:32 AM »
This thread should be bumped once every year or 2!! I have read through every page and argument and couldn't be more entertained. I'm literally LOL'ing! :rollin

This is some great stuff. Thanks to all who participated :tup :tup :tup :tup

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2018, 01:38:47 PM »
Let's have North Central Positronics clone Floor Jansen five times... that'd be a line-up worth seeing. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2018, 07:23:13 PM »
I read through this whole thing yesterday...good lord what a mess  :lol

I'm cool with Floor on vocals, also I wouldn't be against Kala Rose (that's the little girl that covered Pull Me Under a few years back, she's 17 now and sings like a fucking goddess)... for guitar let's go with Nita Strauss, and on drums the only answer would be Senri Kawaguchi. Don't know of any bassist or keyboardist off the top of my head.