Author Topic: If DT were an all girl band...  (Read 13543 times)

Offline r0cken

Re: If DT were an all girl band...
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
Stumbled on this site, haven't had the chance to go over the bands yet. Maybe the female Dream Theater already exists?
https://www.metaladies.com

Oh yeah, in case I haven't answered the original question - if the music is the same, I would love DT in any version - male, female, goat, alien. Whatever.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2015, 03:06:42 AM »
Well, to get semi-back on topic, if we're gonna imagine an all female DT, why not make it fun?

Lita Ford should be in there, I think, or does anyone know any female guitarists that can shred like Petrucci?

I can't name a drummer that would fill Mangini's boots, though.

Maybe Laura Harris on bass?

Keys.....dunno.

Vocalist should be a bit easier. Floor Jansen? Liv Kristine?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2015, 06:28:24 AM »
I don't want to turn this negative, but am I the only one that isn't all that impressed with Lita Ford?   I know I am not as well-versed in her catalogue as I should be to say that, but almost everything I've heard just sounds so... cliché.   She's not as metal, but I would take Joan Jett in a HEARTBEAT over Ford, and while I'm not a huge fan of Halestorm either, I would take Lzzy Hale in a heartbeat too. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2015, 06:41:04 AM »
I would agree with you personality-wise. But Jett, as great a person as she is, was never a leadguitarist. Just chords. And I only named Ford as a possibillity. Hell, I could've gone with the great Kat, but hell, no one could stand that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
:rollin  :rollin :rollin

Dude, you win the internet! FTW :metal :metal

Hey CDrice.
You deserve the title of being the absolute ruler of DTF.

You guys shouldn't say things like that. It will just give me more incentive to continue and it's not good for my sanity (and everyone else's)

Seriously, you should make the forum's backgrounds and that.

Wait...
Maybe you're the guy that replaced Hugh Syme...
You're giving me way too much credit. :lol
The fact that I created those monstrosity most likely destroyed all my chances to ever be involved in any way with the band.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »
I said it before and I will again, you da man CDrice.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
Keep in mind that if they were a "hot chick band", they'd all be around 50+ by now, which would make for a not quite as hot chick band. :lol

Not necessarily.  Those chicks in Stryper are still pretty hot. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
Keep in mind that if they were a "hot chick band", they'd all be around 50+ by now, which would make for a not quite as hot chick band. :lol

HaHa, yea.  Although if you look at their new video (Pride) it seems like the only "chick" that has aged well is the lead singer :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »
Mike Mangina.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:14 AM »
Mike Mangina.
I almost choked on my chocolate now.
 :rollin

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2015, 11:52:48 AM »

(But yes, I am aware that there are plenty of chick musicians that are still looking good at 50)

I was gonna say, Vixen would like a word with you.  :lol

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but I thought James LaBrie kind of looked like Michael Sweet in some of those pictures from the early 90's!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2015, 01:29:39 PM »
Mike Mangina.

Eat my peach, blow on my dice

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »

Honestly?

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »

Honestly?

Well played, sir!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyAkfSapJik

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »
Johnette Napolitano and Ann Wilson sing circles around 85% of all men in rock/metal bands (and James Mankey can play circles around 75% of the guitar players).  Yeah, I get that some of Heart's stuff is a little light weight, but Ann sings her cods off on things like Wait For An Answer, and she brought tears to the eyes of none other than Robert Plant himself when she sang "Stairway To Heaven" at the Kennedy Center Honors.

Thanks for mentioning it.. I hadn't seen DAT.. :'( :hefdaddy

It wasn't only she though.. It was obviously the song, the presence of the honored band and the whole orchestra.. But thanks again!..

About the thread, no, I wouldn't mind either.. If the singer was a woman, while she's as good as James, I'd have no problem.. It would be the same..

I love Nightwish, especially with Tarja, e.g., and I'm myself in a band with a female singer, and they're both great singers, so... It would be hypocritical of me if I'd say I wouldn't like DT if they were all women..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2015, 02:24:20 PM »
I'm sorry guys. I feel that an apology would be perfect. I would like to apologize to anyone that I annoyed. I know I'm a noob and sometimes, I just say real crappy stuff. With my over excessive posting and just plain stupid comments, to anyone I have annoyed or ticked off, I am so sorry. For everything. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me. Love you guys.

-Now I know why they say "girls mature faster than boys!" You're 13 and he's 18, but you handled the situation with a lot more class than he did. Like the others have said: you don't owe any of us an apology.

-Also want to say THANK GOD there are some younger people who still listen to REAL MUSIC! It gives me hope to know that everyone under 40 doesn't just listen to "pop" or rap or some of the dreck that passes for rock these days. Maybe there will actually be more bands with real musicians that really know how to play real instruments in the future.

-Regarding the OP's original question and the responses to it: There already are quite a few all-female metal bands, but female participation in prog has been VERY few and VERY far-between, so I DOUBT if there will ever be an "all-girl" PROGRESSIVE rock band.

-I really liked what you said in defense of Portnoy's contribution to the band, Angela. I am getting PUKING sick and DEAD tired of all the people coming on here and not only acting like everything he did for and with the band doesn't count for SHIT, but they practically act like they're lining up to piss on the GRAVE of his tenure with DT! Excuse my harsh language, but like I SAID: I'm SICK of it! But I also want to say that Mike Mangini seems like a really nice guy as well as being a very talented musician, so I DON'T mean to take anything AWAY from what he and the band have done together. I AM glad that they were able to find someone worthy of filling Portnoy's VERY big shoes drumming-wise.

-
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2015, 02:28:28 PM »
Actually, there's tons and tons of "real music" out there in the present day, if you think otherwise you probably haven't looked hard enough.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
Actually, there's tons and tons of "real music" out there in the present day, if you think otherwise you probably haven't looked hard enough.

Well, maybe you and I just have different tastes in music. It's hard for me to explain, but I guess I want something that is different enough that I can say it isn't just a clone of a band that I already like, but familiar enough that it doesn't stray too far from what I'm used to. Otherwise, anything post-DT doesn't really interest me all that much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Why does it have to prog to be good chaossystem?

Why limit yourself?  Seems silly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »
I didn't say it had to be prog. Unless you consider AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica, among others to be prog.

In fact I don't even listen to bands like ELP, Genesis, Kansas, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Yes, etc. as much as I used to, but I still have a lot of respect for those bands and their musicianship.

But these days I guess you could say I'm more of a (classic) "metal-head!"

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
-I really liked what you said in defense of Portnoy's contribution to the band, Angela. I am getting PUKING sick and DEAD tired of all the people coming on here and not only acting like everything he did for and with the band doesn't count for SHIT, but they practically act like they're lining up to piss on the GRAVE of his tenure with DT! Excuse my harsh language, but like I SAID: I'm SICK of it! But I also want to say that Mike Mangini seems like a really nice guy as well as being a very talented musician, so I DON'T mean to take anything AWAY from what he and the band have done together. I AM glad that they were able to find someone worthy of filling Portnoy's VERY big shoes drumming-wise.

I CAPITALISE words for EMPHASIS so it looks DRAMATIC & like it MEANS something more than it ACTUALLY does.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »

I CAPITALISE words for EMPHASIS so it looks DRAMATIC & like it MEANS something more than it ACTUALLY does.

Ass-kissing was the most prevalent thing I noticed about that guy, but that's annoying too
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2015, 10:07:52 PM »

If you don't like the way I express myself, just ignore my posts!

No one is forcing you to read any of them!!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
If you don't like the way I express myself, just ignore my posts!

No one is forcing you to read any of them!!

1) Learn to syntax
2) Is a freekin joke m8
3) No u
4) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2015, 10:17:58 PM »

Ass-kissing was the most prevalent thing I noticed about that guy, but that's annoying too

Would you have liked it better if I had said that I hated everything she said, and that I thought Mangini sucked, and that I was calling for a demand that Portnoy be back in the band??

It's called TACT and DIPLOMACY! You might want to TRY it sometime, instead of being so quick to call someone who is at least TRYING to find the right words an "ass-kisser!"

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »

Would you have liked it better if I had said that I hated everything she said, and that I thought Mangini sucked, and that I was calling for a demand that Portnoy be back in the band??

It's called TACT and DIPLOMACY! You might want to TRY it sometime, instead of being so quick to call someone who is at least TRYING to find the right words an "ass-kisser!"

DINKY DURR!

Get madder, strain harder, and spray more shit into your underwear.
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »
Would you have liked it better if I had said that I hated everything she said,

Reverse extreme argument. You're assuming that because he's against one extreme, then he must support the opposite.

and that I thought Mangini sucked, and that I was calling for a demand that Portnoy be back in the band??

Wanting someone to rehire someone in their band is by no means so irrational that the question should become rhetorical, in which case, it's an opinion.

It's called TACT and DIPLOMACY!

No it isn't. Agreeing with one side while contributing nothing else to the discussion =/= Attempting to manage the conflict rationally & respectfully to both sides. Your blatant overemotional approach to this whole situation just proves that that couldn't be further from the truth & you're being narcissistic if you think that expressing an opinion will automatically resolve a conflict peacefully.

You might want to TRY it sometime, instead of being so quick to call someone who is at least TRYING to find the right words an "ass-kisser!"

So because of the synonyms you use, that strengthens your point? What?

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
Cr
Reverse extreme argument. You're assuming that because he's against one extreme, then he must support the opposite.

and that I thought Mangini sucked, and that I was calling for a demand that Portnoy be back in the band??

Wanting someone to rehire someone in their band is by no means so irrational that the question should become rhetorical, in which case, it's an opinion.

It's called TACT and DIPLOMACY!

No it isn't. Agreeing with one side while contributing nothing else to the discussion =/= Attempting to manage the conflict rationally & respectfully to both sides. Your blatant overemotional approach to this whole situation just proves that that couldn't be further from the truth & you're being narcissistic if you think that expressing an opinion will automatically resolve a conflict peacefully.

You might want to TRY it sometime, instead of being so quick to call someone who is at least TRYING to find the right words an "ass-kisser!"

So because of the synonyms you use, that strengthens your point? What?

-I'm not on one side or other of the "Mike vs. Mike" debate, because, so far, I think both drummers are equally qualified to play with DT.

-I think it IS somewhat irrational to want Portnoy to be "'re-hired" back into DT, because it is almost certainly never going to happen. I just said what I said because I get sick of what seems to be the attitude of so many people on here, which is that his time with the band didn't seem to COUNT for anything in the band's history.

-I don't expect to "resolve the conflict peacefully" because I am aware of the fact that both sides will never agree with each other, and that I am probably in the minority for seeing the situation the way I do, and that neither side will probably agree with my take on it.  But I still have a right to state that opinion, as long as I don't do it in an insulting or degrading way, which is what you and your Voivod buddy are doing to me. And I think I've been a LOT more respectful to you boys than you have been to me.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2015, 11:04:48 PM »
I don't think anyone is taking this seriously. Lighten up, you giant piss-baby.   :P

Offline pcs90

« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2015, 11:14:20 PM »
I don't think anyone is taking this seriously. Lighten up, you giant piss-baby.   :P
"piss-baby". Well, that's a new one!

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2015, 11:21:27 PM »

Does that make you feel like a big man?

You better hope the MODERATORS aren't paying attention to your eloquent words of wisdom, Mr. Rhodes scholar!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »
If these argues are going to continue over the original joking and childish nature of the post, I'd rather have this thread locked, really, it's no use.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »
-I'm not on one side or other of the "Mike vs. Mike" debate, because, so far, I think both drummers are equally qualified to play with DT.
That directly contradicts you saying "& that I thought Mangini sucks" as an example of something that would lead your question to an extreme, leading it to be rhetorical.

-I think it IS somewhat irrational to want Portnoy to be "'re-hired" back into DT, because it is almost certainly never going to happen.
Not really. I think that if you were in a situation that left you extremely vunerable, wishing for an easier solution wouldn't be completely out of reason. Desire is pretty much like an emotion: you may not get everything you want out of it, but it doesn't do any harm to let it out once in a while. Imagine that situation but on a much lesser scale & that's what I'm talking about.

I just said what I said because I get sick of what seems to be the attitude of so many people on here, which is that his time with the band didn't seem to COUNT for anything in the band's history.
That's what you said in your response to Angela, but not the statement I replied to, as stated above.

-I don't expect to "resolve the conflict peacefully" because I am aware of the fact that both sides will never agree with each other,
Yet you paid large emphasis on you using TACT & DIPLOMACY, in which the latter is defined as "the art of dealing with people in a sensitive and tactful way", which kind of implies aiming to achieve a peaceful result.

and that I am probably in the minority for seeing the situation the way I do, and that neither side will probably agree with my take on it.

Your post was essentially saying the direct opposite of the person who got temporarily banned. I think you're being a little too melodramatic on this one.

But I still have a right to state that opinion,
No-one is saying you don't.

as long as I don't do it in an insulting or degrading way, which is what you and your Voivod buddy are doing to me.
Hey, I (& I'm assuming Nothingface too) was/were doing it that way for the sake of comedy (hence my use of the green text). Even then, I was at least making a point through my light-hearted joking. If you're honestly that offended at me saying "no u", then I'd wonder who should be calling who the "boys" in this situation.

And I think I've been a LOT more respectful to you boys than you have been to me.
Refer to the quote above: "you & your Voivod buddy".

& one more thing:
Cr
What was this? I didn't write that.

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2015, 11:33:27 PM »

Does that make you feel like a big man?

You better hope the MODERATORS aren't paying attention to your eloquent words of wisdom, Mr. Rhodes scholar!

The mods are asleep, your ass is mine, boyo!