Author Topic: If DT were an all girl band...  (Read 13537 times)

Offline Mastermax0213

• Dream Theater, no 1 prog band.
Re: If DT were an all girl band...
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:11 PM »
Excuse me?

Offline pcs90

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 09:52:13 PM »
Also, what about Portnoy's vocals? A girl growling wouldn't be too hot.
So you're saying his vocals were?

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:25 PM »
no girl would be able to shred like Petrucci.
That is soo sexist. Girls can shred to with enough practice.

Honestly I'd love them because they would tell the world that girls too can be really talented.
Glad to be back.

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
Also, what about Portnoy's vocals? A girl growling wouldn't be too hot.
So you're saying his vocals were?

I'm saying it fits. In ANTR, his vocals really set the mood. Can you imagine a girl growling Portnoy's parts? Ugh.
And what I said is the truth, its not sexist.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 09:57:01 PM »
Petrucci isn't even human to begin with, so sexism doesn't apply on him.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 09:59:06 PM »
Petrucci isn't even human to begin with, so sexism doesn't apply on him.
I hate everyone who says that. They are all freaking human. They are not "gods" at all. Get that through your head buddy.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
I'm saying it fits. In ANTR, his vocals really set the mood.
I guess if the mood is supposed to be comical. That's easily the worst part of the song for me, if you haven't noticed! :D Certainly one of my favorite reasons he's no longer there.
But yeah, a girl doing that part would be...very odd.

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
I guess if the mood is supposed to be comical. That's easily the worst part of the song for me, if you haven't noticed! :D Certainly one of my favorite reasons he's no longer there.

Oh man. Portnoy leaving was the best that happened! I mean seriously, I just absolutely was annoyed by his growling and everything. I mean, leave the singing to Labrie. I agree with you there. I think that Mangini is the perfect replacement. I just think Portnoy's skills was meh.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:44 PM »
Plot twist: Manginig sings in the new album.
Jatruccyundessgini

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2015, 10:11:20 PM »

Oh man. Portnoy leaving was the best that happened! I mean seriously, I just absolutely was annoyed by his growling and everything. I mean, leave the singing to Labrie. I agree with you there. I think that Mangini is the perfect replacement. I just think Portnoy's skills was meh.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Mangini is great, but so is Portnoy. I have read countless arguments on Youtube about Mangini and Portnoy. They are good for everything they have done. Portnoy was the founder of the band along with Myung and Petrucci. You don't know how much he brought to the band. Watching Portnoy on Youtube always made me laugh. He is so funny. Mangini is great also, but you have to give props to Portnoy also.
Glad to be back.

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »

I'd have to respectfully disagree. Mangini is great, but so is Portnoy. I have read countless arguments on Youtube about Mangini and Portnoy. They are good for everything they have done. Portnoy was the founder of the band along with Myung and Petrucci. You don't know how much he brought to the band. Watching Portnoy on Youtube always made me laugh. He is so funny. Mangini is great also, but you have to give props to Portnoy also.
Fuck you. Portnoy won't be able to match up to Mangini's standards. Who won more awards? Portnoy or Mangini? Do your research please before you post here. I mean seriously, Portnoy might've been good the first few albums, but starting from Metropolis Part 2, he was shit.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
No need to be insulting when countering someone else's opinion, nobody has told you anything wrong.

You just can't deny what MP brought to the table. Only thing is that his era has passed since he left, now they're all elsewhere.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »
I mean, what if Mangini was the guy that went to Berklee with John and John? If that had happened and it was Magnini instead of Portnoy, you wouldn't have been saying this stuff. And how was I insulting? It was my honest opinion.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »
You don't know how much he brought to the band.
So do you?

Watching Portnoy on Youtube always made me laugh. He is so funny. Mangini is great also, but you have to give props to Portnoy also.
It may help that I'm a drummer, but I strongly believe that MM's playing is much more musical than a lot of MP's. The mixes of the last 2 albums don't help prove that point, but get past that and really focus on the details of MM's drum parts. It becomes very obvious how much work he put into them, whereas if you do the same with a lot of MP's later parts, it's just the same stuff. On several of his DVD's he even talks about how his fills are all just alternating his hands and kick drums. 2 hits on snare, 4 on kick, 2 hits on high tom, 4 on kick, etc...variations of that...that is not creativity. Obviously there are more angles than just the drumming itself, and there's a whole thread on this somewhere.

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »
You don't know how much he brought to the band.
So do you?

Watching Portnoy on Youtube always made me laugh. He is so funny. Mangini is great also, but you have to give props to Portnoy also.
It may help that I'm a drummer, but I strongly believe that MM's playing is much more musical than a lot of MP's. The mixes of the last 2 albums don't help prove that point, but get past that and really focus on the details of MM's drum parts. It becomes very obvious how much work he put into them, whereas if you do the same with a lot of MP's later parts, it's just the same stuff. On several of his DVD's he even talks about how his fills are all just alternating his hands and kick drums. 2 hits on snare, 4 on kick, 2 hits on high tom, 4 on kick, etc...variations of that...that is not creativity. Obviously there are more angles than just the drumming itself, and there's a whole thread on this somewhere.

Buddy, my respect and like for you is growing bigger and bigger every second.  :hefdaddy

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »
"Fuck you"?
Really man?

The situation you wrote is only possible in an alternate universe. There is absolutely no way of knowing what would've happened. We wouldn't have I&W or Awake or SFAM, who knows?

We don't know the extent of their involvement in the band's writing process, since that's what a band is, a team, which is a combination of everyone's efforts and creativity, not just one individual.
ADTOE is a fine example of this, since, as far as I know, it was 90% written with only 4 members, no drummer, and yet it's still a very fine piece of work, much better than MP's last two albums.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
And how the hell did we deviate from the original pointless thread to a pointless argue about MPvMM?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 10:28:14 PM »
And how the hell did we deviate from the original pointless thread to a pointless argue about MPvMM?

Because DTF and because noob influx every time DT are about to release an album. Hooray!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mastermax0213

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 10:28:48 PM »
But I feel like something is wrong. I don't know any girl that is under 15 that likes Dream Theater. Are you lying about your age?

And it proves my point that Mangini is way better than Portnoy. Give him more years in the band and you will find him bringing more and more to the table. I mean, no one didn't give Portnoy props when WDADU was written, but as years passed, Portnoy gained more respect. That will happen to Mangini as Portnoy's legacy will become tainted and will become a grain of sand among others. Just give them time.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 10:29:30 PM »
Don't most threads go off topic here?

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2015, 10:31:19 PM »
But I feel like something is wrong. I don't know any girl that is under 15 that likes Dream Theater. Are you lying about your age?

And it proves my point that Mangini is way better than Portnoy. Give him more years in the band and you will find him bringing more and more to the table. I mean, no one didn't give Portnoy props when WDADU was written, but as years passed, Portnoy gained more respect. That will happen to Mangini as Portnoy's legacy will become tainted and will become a grain of sand among others. Just give them time.

Whatever. I respect your opinion and would like to end it here. They are both great.
And no, I'm not lying about my age. There are girls my age that love Dream Theater. You just haven't found it yet. I'm done for today.
Glad to be back.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2015, 10:32:33 PM »

It doesn't really prove anything.
And I don't mean MM isn't* good, in fact I'm excited as hell for the new album, it was all the potential for being the best DT album ever. But speaking of "tainted" legacy is just plain unnecessary. MP's influence and setting on the band will always be there one way or another, so will MM, and so KM, DS and CD, they have all been DT, and I'm pretty sure the bandmembers would be the first ones to say so.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »
Mastermax0213...I get that you're new here. That's why I'm only going to give you a week off to figure out if you can be part of this community without attacking members of the community and bashing the bands former members. Should you decide to come back and play by the rules, please make sure you intimately familiarize yourself with them before posting again. Next time, there won't be a next time. See you in a week.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 10:34:07 PM »

What proves your point? Portnoy's legacy with DT will remain as long as DT's does.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 10:38:49 PM »
I'm sorry guys. I feel that an apology would be perfect. I would like to apologize to anyone that I annoyed. I know I'm a noob and sometimes, I just say real crappy stuff. With my over excessive posting and just plain stupid comments, to anyone I have annoyed or ticked off, I am so sorry. For everything. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me. Love you guys.
Glad to be back.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »
I'm sorry guys. I feel that an apology would be perfect. I would like to apologize to anyone that I annoyed. I know I'm a noob and sometimes, I just say real crappy stuff. With my over excessive posting and just plain stupid comments, to anyone I have annoyed or ticked off, I am so sorry. For everything. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me. Love you guys.

Oh c'mon Angela, you didn't say anything wrong, he just overreacted to the situation, nobody was really talking about that.

As for anyone with enough authority... could you pleaasee just delete the argue? Can we go back to our ridiculous post about femenine DT?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pcs90

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:48 PM »
What proves your point? Portnoy's legacy with DT will remain as long as DT's does.
Yep, have to agree here. While I feel MM is better for DT in every way, it's silly to say MP will be forgotten. He's played on most of their albums, and especially on the last few he is impossible to ignore because his presence is so strong. Not to mention we still have these conversations 5 years after he left, so...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »

You haven't said anything crappy or annoying in this thread that warrants an apology. I think the problem has sorted itself now.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 10:42:14 PM »

Apology not accepted, as there was no need to apologize to begin with.  :)

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2015, 10:44:54 PM »

Apology not accepted, as there was no need to apologize to begin with.  :)
Please, why are you being too nice? I deserve all this, but I'm flattered you would think so. Thank you....:')
Glad to be back.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »
I don't see a need for you to be sorry! You didn't do anything wrong at all here (or anywhere else that I have seen).

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2015, 10:46:25 PM »
Hey CDrice.
You deserve the title of being the absolute ruler of DTF.
Seriously, you should make the forum's backgrounds and that.

Wait...
Maybe you're the guy that replaced Hugh Syme...
Jatruccyundessgini

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »
I don't see a need for you to be sorry! You didn't do anything wrong at all here (or anywhere else that I have seen).
Over excessive posting tends to annoy people. I should stop conplaining. If it didn't annoy you, I should just accept the fact and let it go. Thank you for knocking some sense into me.
Glad to be back.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »
Yes...let it go. :biggrin:

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »
Argh, now you're making me sing "Let it go!"
I cant help it. I love Frozen. But since this is off topic, I'll stop now. ;)
Glad to be back.