Author Topic: Enya  (Read 1139 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Enya
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:12:12 AM »
 Don't judge. Anyone else like her music? Her new album was released today.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Enya
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I like Enya quite a bit, but it's been a long time since I've listened to anything from her. Maybe I'll check out the new album

ETA: Listening to Caribbean Blue now. Thanks Splent  :tup
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:36:46 AM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:24:44 AM »
Don't judge. Anyone else like her music? Her new album was released today.
No judgement from me, but I listen to and enjoy most music genres.

I still love listening to the Watermark album.  I find it both vibrant and ambient at the same time, and it flows so well.  I am not too familiar with her other releases.
- Ronzoni -

Offline mrrct

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:57:36 AM »
I actually like some of her material, such as the two songs on The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack.  I have a slight hatred for "Orinocco Flow," because it used to be played on Muzak all of the time.  Her voice sounds a little thin to me, especially when I'm used to listening to symphonic metal singers.  I don't know whether to classify her as Celtic or New Age, or a little of both, and I don't listen to either genre enough to know how good she is compared to her competition.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
Her style hasn't changed very much since Watermark, except maybe using more string instruments. One thing that's always impressed me about her is that she plays all her own instruments.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 06:43:17 PM »
Today, the local record store had three Enya CDs (Watermark, Shepherd Moons and ADWR) very cheap. Plus, they did a 30% discount. I got all three albums for around US$7! :)

Also, Dark Sky Island is a gorgeous album.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 06:50:43 PM »
While I haven't gotten a new Enya album in probably 20 years, I do quite enjoy her music.  I think A Day Without Rain was probably the last thing I've gotten of hers.  It was my go-to sleeping, studying and relaxing music in college and beyond.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 08:58:11 PM »
My wife walked down the aisle to Enya’s “Book of Days” at our wedding, so I will never not know at least one Enya song.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 09:27:16 PM »
I don't think I've looked into any Enya songs really, I should fix that sometime soon.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
Memory of Trees is another good one.   Enya never did get out of the studio to tour as far as I know.  One of those artists that made a killing without having to play live.  That sais a lot about her creativity.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »
I don't think I've looked into any Enya songs really, I should fix that sometime soon.
She has some great songs. A few I really like are:
Maybe you'll like her too.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 02:53:27 PM »
She was one of my father's favorites, so I absorbed a lot of her early music and still enjoy it.  I haven't paid as much attention to her later work, but lots of early tunes have left indelible impressions on me.  Her sister Moya is also quite talented, I like their work with Clannad, and some of Moya's guest appearances (Chicane's "Saltwater" is particularly great).