Author Topic: Nuggets Corner  (Read 24658 times)

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
Re: Nuggets Corner
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2016, 07:16:33 AM »
I always thought these guitar parts sounded very similar:
Learning to Live starting at 6:29 (leading up to JLB's big F#) and Rush's Entre Nous at 2:52.

Also, non DT-related:  The arpeggio from Rush's Xanadu is the same as that from Sweet Child O' Mine, with the last note removed and in 7/8 time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »
Near the beginning of Xanadu? Didn't sound too similar to me beyond the basic sound arpeggios have, but I was only skimming, since I don't know/like Rush.

While we're here, has anyone found a musical connection in These Walls, Never Enough or Sacrificed Sons to tie it to the title track? TROAE has the outro, TALW has the string melody etc, IWBY and PA both have musical tie-ins, but I haven't found anything in those three other songs. Maybe there's not one, but it took me so long to find the IWBY connection, that I've been wondering for a while now if there are others I've missed.
It's the nugget album, and I consider these musical nuggets.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2016, 08:18:59 AM »
Near the beginning of Xanadu? Didn't sound too similar to me beyond the basic sound arpeggios have, but I was only skimming, since I don't know/like Rush.
  Yeah, its the part that fades in near 2:00 and continues with the guitar part for most of the intro.

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2017, 03:29:30 AM »
It's taken me about 20 years to realise that JP plays part of a Star Wars tune in the Voices intro from Once in a Livetime.

Always knew it was familiar, just couldn't place it.  :lol

Offline Amoniz

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »
Take the Time:
"Close your eyes, you can find all you need in your mind."

Just Let Me Breathe:
"Just close your mind, you can find all you need with your eyes."

Offline Iceyice

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
At first i thought this was about all-white chicken nuggets at McDonalds...... ;D
'Just when you're through hanging on......you're saved.....'

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2017, 11:05:43 PM »
I always thought Stream of Conciouseness was an homage to Orion by Metallica.  :metal

I always thought of Train of Thought as being an overall Metallica tribute.

As I Am is kinda like Enter Sandman in it's structure. But nowhere near as blatant as Avenged Sevenfold's Shepherd Of Fire :eek :lol :eek

Check it out if you haven't heard it. it *even* does the spoken word bit in the middle and then goes up a tone when it comes back in :lol So Bad.

Actually, isn't Pull Me Under just Enter Sandman + Roundabout?  :-\
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
I've been listening to Voivod (who I love dearly), a song called 'mercury' and half way in, I noticed the striking resemblance to the 'secret agent'y' bit from Stream Of Conciousness. Interesting discovery there!

(Phobos by Voivod came out 8? Years before Tot, to note)

Do you have timestamps for both songs? I checked out the song on Youtube and couldn't hear anything resembling SOC, and I'm not sure which bit of SOC is secret agent-y. :lol

Damn, almost been two years! but:

2:50 in the Voivod
5:23 in the Dream Theater

Pay attention to the bass, listen on headphones or speakers  :tup
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Evai

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2017, 07:03:25 AM »
It'd be a cool nugget if in Illumination Theory, the 'A soldier for his country, a junkie for the high, teachers for their students' part was like SDOIT and each line references a part of the song

Also another Octavarium nugget: In the song, 'Signs Of The Time', the line at the end of each chorus is sung to the melody of "You're gonna shiiiiine" from The Answer Lies Within, but in a minor key. I believe this to be a calculated choice, as songwriter Mike Portnoy knew he was gonna shine in the future.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:24:19 PM by Evai »
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2018, 06:27:53 PM »
The "I had gotten used to being a soul destroyed" part of Lie (the riff especially), feels like a deliberate reference to Tool. For some reason, I keep noticing fragments of Tool references everywhere (particularly Undertow/Aenima) now, even though I'm not a Tool fan or anything.  :D

(Lie is a fucking awesome song too)
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2018, 11:15:54 PM »
ANTR two notes:  (instr ver W/O solos) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86WEgqwDfd0

8:07 - Electric Wizard style riff? (appears other numerous times obviously)
8:35 is like - 2:40 in Lie
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2018, 07:30:34 AM »
ANTR two notes:  (instr ver W/O solos) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86WEgqwDfd0

8:35 is like - 2:40 in Lie

Never noticed that one before, the riff is almost the same :o
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2018, 11:55:44 AM »
The "I had gotten used to being a soul destroyed" part of Lie (the riff especially), feels like a deliberate reference to Tool. For some reason, I keep noticing fragments of Tool references everywhere (particularly Undertow/Aenima) now, even though I'm not a Tool fan or anything.  :D

There's a lot of Tool infuence in "Honor Thy Father".
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »

Don't forget The Great Debate.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »

Don't forget The Great Debate.

Home as well, but it's surprising too see that the Tool influence goes back as far as Awake, I never noticed it before!  :eek
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2018, 03:56:44 PM »
I've been listening to Voivod (who I love dearly), a song called 'mercury' and half way in, I noticed the striking resemblance to the 'secret agent'y' bit from Stream Of Conciousness. Interesting discovery there!

(Phobos by Voivod came out 8? Years before Tot, to note)

Well it's obviously because they are both influenced by Thrak  :laugh:
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
10:17 in The Count Of Tuscany is Knights Of Cydonia, in guitar solo form  :o
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2018, 12:26:51 AM »
Aprox 1:30 in The Great Debate, listen to the drums (with the drum stick on the side of the snare - can't remember term)

Then listen to the opening rhythm of "The Real Thing" by Faith No More.

Is that an intentional reference?  ;D
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
So the pattern continues considering there was no live album to astonishing unfortunate as that may be. Fingers crossed for one to Distance of Time.
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2018, 11:22:56 PM »
(Not sure if some were mentioned before, btw)

-ANTR thunder effect is used also in Steven Wilson's Happy Returns
-A melody in Sacrificed Sons during the last part (God on high and all that) is pretty similar to the Dark Master melody in ITPOE, pt 2.
-Illumination Theory drum-roll intro is pretty much identical to the one in 6DOIT (in I. Overture)
-When the "backing track" gets heavy/epic during the solo in BAI, JP plays a lick that resembles Star Wars' Force Theme (also, the solo and section is quite similar to the one in LITS)
-Enigma Machine has a section that is similar to one in in TCOT (before the Ambient part starts)
-Talking about TCOT, its Ambient-y sction is similar to one in the Coma Divine version of Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways (around 4:00)
-Misunderstood's outro is really similar to King Crimson's Level Five (5:00 onwards)
-The Path That Divides at 3:26 has a melody that sounds like Fatal Tragedy (just when the chorus ends), followed by a vocal part that reminds me of Finally Free ("as their bodies lie still")

(I hope I understood the point of this thread, lol)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »
So the pattern continues considering there was no live album to astonishing unfortunate as that may be. Fingers crossed for one to Distance of Time.

I'm assuming that you're referencing the pattern on live releases that follows piano keys with the black keys being a live release - or something like that.  Where is that?  I remember seeing it but can't find it now.

Offline Donmac1989

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »

I'm assuming that you're referencing the pattern on live releases that follows piano keys with the black keys being a live release - or something like that.  Where is that?  I remember seeing it but can't find it now.

Yeah. I made that string a long time ago. Not too sure if it's still up.
This feeling inside me
No longer torn in two

Offline Donmac1989

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2018, 02:49:01 PM »
This feeling inside me
No longer torn in two

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2018, 12:04:39 PM »
-The Path That Divides at 3:26 has a melody that sounds like Fatal Tragedy (just when the chorus ends), followed by a vocal part that reminds me of Finally Free ("as their bodies lie still")

That's a good one.. Never heard it until now..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Evai

« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
Update: that string is here

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44900.0

I love how the first post forgets to actually explain his idea, confusing everyone   :lol
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »

I don’t think that’s quite a nugget, just a coincidence.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2018, 05:00:30 AM »
The arpeggio run in the untethered angel solo is identical to moment of betrayals, they both come in at the same part of the solo too (Bar-wise) It might be in a different key though. As a whole feel the song is very similar, especially the little break just before the solo...

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »

Yeah, obviously.. Still, not easy to find two melodies that are almost the same in DT songs that aren't supposed to be similar..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »

Yeah, obviously.. Still, not easy to find two melodies that are almost the same in DT songs that aren't supposed to be similar..

This. Something that amazes me about DT (well, one of A LOT of things) is that they have such a broad catalog, but still their melodic lines and riffs don't sound similar/repetitive with each other.
There's a few bands out there that have just a couple albums out and some of their songs sound like they just re-did the melodic line or riff from a previous song. Hell, even SOA with just one album had Alive and Coming Home with almost the same exact chorus :lol

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2019, 02:33:03 PM »

This. Something that amazes me about DT (well, one of A LOT of things) is that they have such a broad catalog, but still their melodic lines and riffs don't sound similar/repetitive with each other.
There's a few bands out there that have just a couple albums out and some of their songs sound like they just re-did the melodic line or riff from a previous song. Hell, even SOA with just one album had Alive and Coming Home with almost the same exact chorus :lol

Of course, that’s natural. I am a composer and often HATE myself for subliminal shit that I listen back to a hundred times and say “FUCK, I did that already!
So funny that you brought up SoA as I was just listening to that again today and it is so obvious what MP brought to DT, I mean that in a good way too, as I really like that album as it has some killer riffs and timing, but lacks the depth of the rest of DT members....as always,JMO.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2019, 02:43:11 PM »
What MP brought to the table, judging by the SOA album: making songs longer, adding disjointed instrumental sections and a lot of "aaaaaahhhhhhhh"s with vocal harmonies :lol

To be fair, the album isn't that bad, I've just turned it into an EP by getting rid of the songs I don't like at all, it makes for a much better experience.