Author Topic: Nuggets Corner  (Read 24648 times)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
Re: Nuggets Corner
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
The riff at 4:41 in Sacrificed Sons sounds a lot like the riff starting at 0:46 in In the Presence of Enemies Part 1.

As I said before, This riff sounds really close to The Great Debate @ 11:20 and Rush's Natural Science @ 2:20 as well...

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 12:20:47 AM »
Not sure if this counts as a nugget but it's always been my favorite, 1st track on SFAM when he's counting down you hear a very quick snippet of "Home" followed by a more obvious one from "Spririt Carries On". Always thought that was the coolest.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 12:43:39 AM »
From DT12, looking glass=limelight rush, and behind the veil=creeping death Metallica

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2015, 03:41:02 AM »
Surrounded = Symphony X's Through the Looking Glass. Most blatant riff copy I've heard. And there's a riff in their song Revelation that is very close to the root of all evil

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 05:25:42 PM »
Surrounded = Symphony X's Through the Looking Glass. Most blatant riff copy I've heard. And there's a riff in their song Revelation that is very close to the root of all evil

Lolwutt
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »

Lolwutt

I'm not sure I understand. It's not as if Surrounded had been written before Through the Looking Glass.

Also I'm surprised to see many people who had not pick up the Jingle Bells part in Octavarium. I'm usually very bad at finding nuggets like that, but I thought this one was very evident.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:52:26 PM by CDrice »

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »
I saw sx live and they started playing that everyone went nuts I thought they were gonna cover dt. Did they write it 1st?!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
No. Surrounded is older than Symphony X itself.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone has said this before me, but 7:17 on This Dying Soul sounds like the verses to Blackened by Metallica. Pretty sure that was done on purpose as a tribute . . . both songs rock  :metal
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline CoT67

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2015, 06:19:16 AM »

Through the Looking Glass's from '98's Twilight in Olympus, do you mean Symphony X blatantly copying Surrounded?
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 07:09:09 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone has said this before me, but 7:17 on This Dying Soul sounds like the verses to Blackened by Metallica. Pretty sure that was done on purpose as a tribute . . . both songs rock  :metal
Yeah this one was very obvious to me aswell, I can basically spell out every single note of Blackened so it wasn't that hard.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 10:11:34 AM »
Thought it was pretty obvious  :lol That's why I said "I'm not sure if anyone has said this before me"  ;D

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »
Not sure if this counts as a nugget but it's always been my favorite, 1st track on SFAM when he's counting down you hear a very quick snippet of "Home" followed by a more obvious one from "Spririt Carries On". Always thought that was the coolest.

Nice one.. I've never noticed that..

About the thread per se, it reminded me of this one: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44393.0

If I have to post something in this thread, I better quote myself from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ7qXHjxj_0 sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikSPzB-I_W4

Animations - Lost in Infinity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ua9WHOqmfw

Bridges in the Sky (7:15) reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 "The Landing" AKA Dollet Theme invasion (0:51).

:lol Nice one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqsQ9Njhsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GDfAfY_r30

After these 2 videos, I think we can call it a day. Originally, there was a part 3 I think, Idk where is it now though.

Fun vids.. I've made a couple like those long time ago, though they weren't only about DT, but also many other bands..

I say this all the time, and almost no one believes me, but the beginning of Peruvian Skies pretty much IS the beginning of Bleeding Me by Metallica.

In fact I'd believe that.. That's the first comparison I've made in these videos.. (The video also shows similar solos of Rata Blanca/Pink Floyd and Wither/Bohemian Rhapsody..)

https://goo.gl/IEIHHh

Since I'm on it.. This one has at the beginning one that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet: The Glass Prison and In My Darkest Hour from Megadeth..

https://goo.gl/DFS0xA

And, finally, this one has mostly DT/Symphony X's comparisons, where, this time, the DT songs precede the other band's..

https://goo.gl/xRkMQW

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:16 AM »
That quote from me wasn't meant to be serious  :lol it's actually the same song, Three Days Grace covered MJ. But they do both sound like Endless Sacrifice if that's what you mean.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 05:59:52 AM »

Through the Looking Glass's from '98's Twilight in Olympus, do you mean Symphony X blatantly copying Surrounded?

To clear anything up. yes, I meant Symphony X copying the surrounded intro almost identically!, I knew it came after surrounded, just didn't word it very well :lol :lol

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
That quote from me wasn't meant to be serious  :lol it's actually the same song, Three Days Grace covered MJ. But they do both sound like Endless Sacrifice if that's what you mean.

Yeah, I know.. :lol I was just using your comment to mention another song intro very similar to Endless Sacrifice besides Give Into Me..

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »
I think I figured out why The Enemy Inside sounded so familiar the first time I heard it:

The first half of the bridge is very similar to the opening verse of Prophets Of War, (then it develops similarly too for that part)
The end of the bridge "And no magic pill.." sounds a bit like "where do you belong" from Anna Lee.
And the guitar solo sounds like The guitar solo from OTBOA
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »
Yeah those two solos always sound similar to me as well . . . maybe JP thought it needed improvement from the last record? :lol

Not that I would have thought that though ;)

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »
I don't think this is a nugget but I got my second copy of Sex and Religion by Vai a few months ago and while listening to it, I noticed that the album had (at times) remarkable characteristics similar to Falling Into Infinity by DT.
Who think S&R was a big influence (probably on Petrucci) when writing FII?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:08 PM »
There's one point in Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls that sounds super similar to Overture 1928, can't remember where exactly though, I'll timestamp if I find it.

EDIT: Apparently a commenter also noticed and timestamped it

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 08:02:48 AM »
There's one point in Seventh Wonder's Mercy Falls that sounds super similar to Overture 1928, can't remember where exactly though, I'll timestamp if I find it.

EDIT: Apparently a commenter also noticed and timestamped it

Yeah, :lol, and seconds after (56:20) there's a riff very similar to Home's..

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
Yeah, I always noticed this little Overture-homage part, I always want to sing "there must be the third and last dance" here. And Home part too of course.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bogie

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »
Ultimate nugget:  In "In The Name Of God" from 5:51-5:59 (and repeating again from 5:59-6:07) in the right channel, you can hear a faint clicking sample being played. This is "EATMYASSANDBALLS" in Morse code.

Offline Nomaniac

• Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
Ultimate nugget:  In "In The Name Of God" from 5:51-5:59 (and repeating again from 5:59-6:07) in the right channel, you can hear a faint clicking sample being played. This is "EATMYASSANDBALLS" in Morse code.

Oh man that is classic!!! :lol :lol :lol

Leave it to the always clever Dream Theater . . .

I wonder who was the first one to figure that out? ;D

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »

What the hell... OK this is going crazy  :corn

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »

What the hell... OK this is going crazy  :corn

Nothing new, really!
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Bogie

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 03:40:03 PM »

Oh man that is classic!!! :lol :lol :lol

Leave it to the always clever Dream Theater . . .

I wonder who was the first one to figure that out? ;D

I was, with a tip of the hat to DarrylRevok who thought it sounded like Morse code. I received Portnoy's boxers from Breakdown In Berlin as a congratulatory gift.  ;)

Offline Estiui

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 04:28:01 AM »

Wait, is this even true?  You're kidding, right?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 04:57:10 AM »
It's true. It's well known at this point.

Between 5:51 and 6:07 of the song "In the Name of God", there was a hidden composition buried beneath the far louder sounds of the song itself which lay undiscovered for over a year and a half. The band did not tell anyone that a hidden "nugget" (as it became known amongst Dream Theater fans) was present in the song, and only when Mike Portnoy mentioned it in his Mike Portnoy: Live at Budokan Drum-Cam DVD over a year later did someone find it. The Mike Portnoy message board was rife with fans scouring the song looking for what it might be, until a fan going by the pseudonymous name "DarrylRevok" mentioned that from 5:51 to 6:07 there appeared to be morse code audible, which Nick Bogovich (user handle "Bogie") isolated and discovered that when translated to English, the phrase "eat my ass and balls" (a Mike Portnoy catchphrase) was the result.[10]

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 08:19:40 AM »

He's not.  It's the original nugget.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 08:20:06 AM »

He's not.  It's the original nugget.

It's the nugget that spawned the nugget album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
The band did not tell anyone that a hidden "nugget" (as it became known amongst Dream Theater fans) was present in the song, and only when Mike Portnoy mentioned it in his Mike Portnoy: Live at Budokan Drum-Cam DVD over a year later did someone find it.
To be fair, I doubt very seriously that JM or JLB even knew about it.  JP may have, since he was one of the producers, but IIRC, this was very much a last-minute thing by MP and JR.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
The band did not tell anyone that a hidden "nugget" (as it became known amongst Dream Theater fans) was present in the song, and only when Mike Portnoy mentioned it in his Mike Portnoy: Live at Budokan Drum-Cam DVD over a year later did someone find it.
To be fair, I doubt very seriously that JM or JLB even knew about it.  JP may have, since he was one of the producers, but IIRC, this was very much a last-minute thing by MP and JR.

My recollection backs up your recollection, that it was last minute thing that only JR and MP knew of.
I'm sure it would take all of a minute to find MP's post on his forum with this information, but meh. :lol

Offline The Hairy Man

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
The screams following gunshots from Finally Free at around 04:30 can also be heard in Big Ego's at 02:10 from the album 2001 by Dr Dre.

Albums were also released 3 weeks apart. Assume this is a standard stock sound.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2015, 09:06:58 AM »
The screams following gunshots from Finally Free at around 04:30 can also be heard in Big Ego's at 02:10 from the album 2001 by Dr Dre.

Albums were also released 3 weeks apart. Assume this is a standard stock sound.

All of the sound effects on SFAM are stock. Those girl screams in particular have been used so many places. :lol I think the gasp sound effect might even be from the same set used in Goldeneye 64.