Author Topic: Nuggets Corner  (Read 24646 times)

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
Nuggets Corner
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
Like the title says, this will be what is known as Nugget Corner. Basically what it will be for is to post what little snippets or references to other songs that are in a Dream Theater song. For instance, the intro to Peruvian Skies sounds like Metallica's Bleeding Me. I'd love to hear yalls feedback on this topic and to see what y'all post.
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Re: Nuggets Corner
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:05:57 PM »
All I can think of is that there's the Jingle Bells part in Octavarium

And also 4:45 to 4:55 in Home sounds just like a riff from another song, but I can't remember which one it is...

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
The keyboard melody at the end of You Not Me (starting at about 4:04) is the same as the guitar melody in Raise the Knife (starting at about 7:50 on the Score version).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:24:25 PM »
Time stamp for the Jingle Bells part? I know there are countless references to other songs in Octavarium (heck, Full Circle is comprised entirely of them), but I've never heard Jingle Bells.

Offline 425

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
17:46
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »
Don't see how you couldn't have heard that, it's not like a hidden thing. It's literally four bars of full on jingle bells.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »
Wow! OK. Never associated that bit with Jingle Bells before. You learn something new every day.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »

And also 4:45 to 4:55 in Home sounds just like a riff from another song, but I can't remember which one it is...

46 & 2 by Tool ?

I might be thinking of The Great Debate.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »
Wow! OK. Never associated that bit with Jingle Bells before. You learn something new every day.  :lol

I think they even show Jordan transform into Santa Claus on the video playing in the background on Score.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »

I think they even show Jordan transform into Santa Claus on the video playing in the background on Score.

Yes it's hilarious. I laugh every time I see cartoon JLB in that video.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 04:10:30 PM »
The TDS riff (dagadagada, daga - daga -- dagadagada, daga - daga - BAM... you know the one) is very similar to a riff in the song 'Noose' by Ark from the album Burn the Sun. Not sure if that was an intentional nod or just coincidence. The riff rules in both cases though. :metal

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »
I swear that I hear 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic' being sung on one channel near the end of 'In The Name of God' ;)

OK, seriously, maybe it's just me:

The Dark Eternal Night chorus....'Drifting beyond all time, out of a churning sky, drawn to the beckoning light'

Genesis, Land of Confusion:  'This is the world we live in, and these are the hands we're given, use them and let's start trying...'
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »

46 & 2 by Tool ?

Nope that's not it  :lol

If you have a chance, go and listen to it. I'm sure you'll figure it out  :biggrin:

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »

46 & 2 by Tool ?

You are, I never really noticed that until then though!

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »
I swear that I hear 'The Battle Hymn of the Republic' being sung on one channel near the end of 'In The Name of God' ;)

Yes, it is!
- Ronzoni -

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
Don't see how you couldn't have heard that, it's not like a hidden thing. It's literally four bars of full on jingle bells.
I never noticed until you guys just pointed it out!
- Ronzoni -

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »

If you have a chance, go and listen to it. I'm sure you'll figure it out  :biggrin:

:getoffmylawn:

Isn't that same part on a song in A Dramatic Turn of Events ?

EDIT : 3:52 in Outcry.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
I always though the last section of Learning to Live was very Rush-like; I'll listen again to get the exact song.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 06:10:23 PM »
Through Her Eyes = End of the Innocence by Don Henley

She never really had a chance
On that fateful moonlit night
Sacrificed without a fight
A victim of her circumstance
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 08:10:19 PM »
Rush's Natural Science, DT's The Great Debate, Sacrificed Sons and ITPOE all have a riff in common, or very likely close...

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:11:27 AM »
Has anybody else felt the similarity between the intro to Learning to Live and Jethro Tull's Cup of Wonder?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:24 PM »
Every time I hear Outcry and BAI together, I hear very clear similarities between both, however, for some reason, I find them hard to describe.

Anyone?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
For nuggets, I don't know if people mentioned it at the time, but when I first heard The Enemy Inside (when they streamed it) and it got to the bridge, it was like Deja-vu. It sounds very similar to parts of Prophets Of War and Never Enough (coincidentally both Muse-like songs)
Anyone else noticed?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 10:19:04 PM »
Well, there's a very similar riff between Misunderstood and AROP if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »
Has anyone noticed the Pull Me Under ends abruptly?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 06:45:07 AM »

Santa Claus wishes

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
For nuggets, I don't know if people mentioned it at the time, but when I first heard The Enemy Inside (when they streamed it) and it got to the bridge, it was like Deja-vu. It sounds very similar to parts of Prophets Of War and Never Enough (coincidentally both Muse-like songs)
Anyone else noticed?

As you already mentioned Never Enough, it has much in common with Stockholm Syndrome by Muse in terms of the structure of both songs which led me personally (as a Muse and DT-fan) to call Never Enough the "musically more complex version of Stockholm Syndrome" (in this case I still prefer the Muse song however).

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »
The main riff of The Mirror sounds just like the riff in The Death of Balance-Lacrymosa by Symphony X... wait... that doesn't work.

However the clean parts of Endless Sacrifice resembles a Michael Jackson song. I just don't remember what's the title.

Edit: The Michael Jackson song is Give in to me

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »
I guess this is as good a post to talk about this as any...

Does anybody else remember the PSX game ZERO DIVIDE? Sorry for the caps. It felt like it.

There's a song on it that eerily predates Never Enough (muse aside) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyBnN96o80c

And there's this one, which, while not being similar to a specific song in DT's catalogue, certainly makes me feel like the composer of the soundtrack at least heard of them. What do y'all think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUyXX70vwlg
Especially with this second song, I get chills thinking of the JP and JR solos. If the drums were flashier I'd mistake this for a dream theater demo!

Would love to know what you guys think of this, hahah

EDIT: in order for the second song to fit more into the theme of the thread, the part with the "guitar" and "keyboard" solos surely sounds a bit like the solo exchange part between players in Metropolis!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
As you already mentioned Never Enough, it has much in common with Stockholm Syndrome by Muse in terms of the structure of both songs which led me personally (as a Muse and DT-fan) to call Never Enough the "musically more complex version of Stockholm Syndrome" (in this case I still prefer the Muse song however).

I call Prophets of War "Wherever I May Muse"  ;D still, I like the song.

Oh, and add me to the list of people that never ever noticed Jingle Bells in Octavarium!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »
I never noticed until you guys just pointed it out!

I still can't hear it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »
As pointed out on a Queen forum eons ago, the beginning synth of 'Surrounded' is similar to the beginning of 'Father to Son'.

'Misunderstood' and 'Fatal Tragedy' have parts that sound as if Brian May were playing.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
The riff at 4:41 in Sacrificed Sons sounds a lot like the riff starting at 0:46 in In the Presence of Enemies Part 1.