Author Topic: Is it just me or...  (Read 13297 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Is it just me or...
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 03:25:33 PM »
But there are four lights.

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 11:38:43 PM »
Is it even more worth noting that the first note we hear on the album Images and Words coincidentally is an A note? In the baa baa baaaa section...
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 01:11:15 AM »
Is it even more worth noting that the first note we hear on the album Images and Words coincidentally is an A note? In the baa baa baaaa section...

Am I missing something? The first note on IaW is the low open E of the clean guitar. The second note is an A though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2016, 01:53:50 AM »
1. The first note of I&W is E, not A.

2. My triad would be I&W, ADTOE and TA, so unless you've got Rachmaninov's hands, probably impossible to play. (Yes, you could use two hands, but that would be cheating.)

Offline Donmac1989

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 07:11:02 AM »

Am I missing something? The first note on IaW is the low open E of the clean guitar. The second note is an A though.

Oops, I totally forgot lol.
This feeling inside me
No longer torn in two

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2016, 10:25:20 AM »
After reading this I had to go and work out the clean intro to Pull Me Under. Didn't take long. the C to D part confused me a little at first.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
That's the first DT song I ever learned on the guitar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
I'm not sure I can play any DT song all the way through. I can play Our New World minus the big second solo.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »
I forgot a lot of what I know since it has been a while, so I'd probably have to relearn the harder parts.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »
Mine would be D, E, E. Scenes, 6DOIT, Astonishing
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »
I can't shred to save my life. The first Our New World solo is as technical as I go.

Offline Donmac1989

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
So update on this. No live album for Astonishing. So now the pattern continues. Hopefully a live album to Distamce of Time.
This feeling inside me
No longer torn in two

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
Images & Words = A
Awake = B
Falling Into Infinity = C
Scenes From A Memory = D
Six Degrees = E
Train of Thought = F
Octavarium = G ( lolwut )

Well, to expand upon that:

A#          C#    D#        F#  G#   A#     C#   D#      F#
A         B  C       D       E  F     G      A    B  C    D     E  F   G
     L             O       L          L      S     C        L      B
     I              I        S         A      C     I         A     T
     T             A       F          B      O    M        L     F
                    L       N                  R               P     W
I         A   F   T  S  Y  S  T     8   E  S    B  A    D    T
A        W   I       F      D  O    V       C    C  D    T    A
W       A    I       A     O   T    M             &  T
          K            M     I                          S  O
          E                    T                         L   E

Hopefully, this "pattern" is broken because that means The Astonishing won't get a live album, and being a double album AND a concept album, I highly doubt that any full live performance of it WON'T get released. A full performance of a concept album just BEGS for live release, so I think we'll see the end of this "pattern" by 2017.

-Marc.

Damn, the numbers never lie.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2018, 01:21:30 AM »
So update on this. No live album for Astonishing. So now the pattern continues. Hopefully a live album to Distamce of Time.

Since this was bumped, I figured I'd make an updated image, since the "pattern" held true and we did NOT get any live albums from the TA tour at all! Go figure...well, if this pattern DOES continue, we will be seeing live releases from each of the next three albums including DOT.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
So we finally know why they didn't release the IW&B show nor even tried to filmed The Astonishing Live..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
I will be surprised if they release a live album for the next tour, given that half of the concert is an album previously released, in the same order and everything. I wouldn’t be upset if they do though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
So based on that previous image, in the event that DT does opt to officially release the Return to Budokan proshot after DOT, that pattern will still remain relatively consistent.  The only inconsistent thing regarding that octave scale is A Change of Seasons unless we would not count that as an official album or Live Release since it is an EP?

Offline Evai

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2018, 05:57:15 PM »
The only inconsistent thing is WDaDU
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
^^ Maybe the scale is based on releases that has JLB on vocals and that's when DT really got things going for their careers?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »
So based on that previous image, in the event that DT does opt to officially release the Return to Budokan proshot after DOT, that pattern will still remain relatively consistent.  The only inconsistent thing regarding that octave scale is A Change of Seasons unless we would not count that as an official album or Live Release since it is an EP?

I suppose, technically, if they do release the Return To Budokan show after DOT, it would count, but only if they don't also release a DOT Tour show. As stated above, the likelihood of a full DOT Tour show being release might sound slim at this point considering half of the show is just SFAM played live. Granted, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, and it might be neat to see the whole thing done with MM (though given that they've played large chunks of it on previous tours with MM, there's really only a few songs they HAVEN'T played from it yet).

Personally speaking, outside of the two TA songs in that Budokan set list, we've gotten live versions of every other song except "The Bigger Picture" and "Hell's Kitchen" (I'm fairly certain), so it would mean getting a lot more of the same. I'd be more interested in hearing DOT Material and OTHER unplayed songs, along with SFAM Live than the Budokan show with IAW Live (even though it DOES have ACOS). This gives me an idea for a poll...

^^ Maybe the scale is based on releases that has JLB on vocals and that's when DT really got things going for their careers?

That was the idea as stated earlier on in this thread - the pattern begins with JLB's involvement, and only includes their studio albums and live albums, so no ACOS (as it is an EP, technically speaking).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
So based on that previous image, in the event that DT does opt to officially release the Return to Budokan proshot after DOT, that pattern will still remain relatively consistent.
Actually, no. If Return to Budokan got an official release, it would count towards TA in the same way that L@LP counted towards ADToE. Remember that L@LP was released after the self-titled album was released, not before. And if you were to count Return to Budokan as the live release for DOT, then you'd have to count 2 live releases for the self-titled album and none for ADToE. Either way, it wouldn't coincide with the black key pattern.

That was the idea as stated earlier on in this thread - the pattern begins with JLB's involvement, and only includes their studio albums and live albums, so no ACOS (as it is an EP, technically speaking).
While ACoS might be an EP, according to MP, he always viewed it as a live release. Nonetheless, even excluding ACoS, the whole idea of the number of live albums following the black keys on a keyboard is purely coincidental, not planned. Back in 2007, MP never even planned on doing another live release for that tour, since they had just done 2 live releases for the 2 previous tours, which is why no shows were properly filmed on that tour for live release. But he later reflected on the fact that a lot of the songs on that tour had not been included in a live release previously, and it would probably be a while before they'd be cycled back into the master setlist on a future tour, so he opted to cobble together what he could from the shows that he had pro-shot video from. JP has never been focused on such incidental details, so it's a foregone conclusion that he's not paying attention to that sort of pattern either.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
So... why was BC&SL neglected so hardcore?
Literally only a single song from that album has a live release.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #92 on: January 01, 2019, 05:06:12 AM »
I would guess that it's primarily due to the fact that the album consists of mainly longer songs that take up more space in the setlist. But I wouldn't be surprised if they finally include a track from it on this upcoming tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2019, 05:54:48 AM »
two actually. (Count and Fortress), but I'm sure Scotty has a point here.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
I would guess that it's primarily due to the fact that the album consists of mainly longer songs that take up more space in the setlist. But I wouldn't be surprised if they finally include a track from it on this upcoming tour.

I can see them playing A Rite of Passage in this tour (And I hope they do). I think I read somewhere that with the whole Portnoy stuff, DT isn't allowed to play The Best of Times.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »

I can see them playing A Rite of Passage in this tour (And I hope they do). I think I read somewhere that with the whole Portnoy stuff, DT isn't allowed to play The Best of Times.

The band has never said that, so if you read it, you just read some fan speculating.  They are allowed to play anything they want.  But that said, they still probably wouldn't play The Best of Times.

Going back to the question of why more songs haven't been played, I think it comes back to what Scotty said about the songs being long and taking up a lot of space.  ANTR, TSF, and TCOT have all gotten at least some play during the MM era, so it isn't like the album is being completely ignored.  That really only leaves Wither and AROP as the only ones not played that are otherwise likely to be played.  Wither is a long shot just because ANY ballad from an older album is a long shot.  So that puts us down to one song.  And I wouldn't be surprised if that one showed up in the next tour or the one after that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2019, 11:12:23 AM »
ANTR, TSF, and TCOT have all gotten at least some play during the MM era, so it isn't like the album is being completely ignored.  That really only leaves Wither and AROP as the only ones not played that are otherwise likely to be played.  Wither is a long shot just because ANY ballad from an older album is a long shot.  So that puts us down to one song.  And I wouldn't be surprised if that one showed up in the next tour or the one after that.
Actually, ANtR hasn't gotten any airplay with MM, aside from when they were doing the drummer auditions, so I don't think that one counts. However, Wither was included in the setlists of the short 2015 tour. I could easily see them adding either ARoP or Wither to the setlist. I also wouldn't mind seeing them do ANtR - would be interesting to see what MM does for the blast beat section and what they end up doing for the "angry vocal" section.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »
Actually, ANtR hasn't gotten any airplay with MM, aside from when they were doing the drummer auditions, so I don't think that one counts.

Oops, you're right.  I was thinking it got played on a few of the European dates before ADTOE.  But I checked the set lists, and it was TCOT.  My mistake.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »

One actually.. TCoT only appeared in the Happy Holidays release, and I think they're only talking about dvds here..

Actually, ANtR hasn't gotten any airplay with MM, aside from when they were doing the drummer auditions, so I don't think that one counts.

Oops, you're right.  I was thinking it got played on a few of the European dates before ADTOE.  But I checked the set lists, and it was TCOT.  My mistake.

I've read this mistake before.. :lol

Maybe once you had a dream that turned into a nightmare where they were playing the song..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »

One actually.. TCoT only appeared in the Happy Holidays release, and I think they're only talking about dvds here..

I've read this mistake before.. :lol

Maybe once you had a dream that turned into a nightmare where they were playing the song..

And he remembers it very well.

ROAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHHHHHHH
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."