Author Topic: Hamilton (the musical)  (Read 2395 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Hamilton (the musical)
« on: November 18, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »
So....

:omg:

So good.... Listen to it... Now...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hamilton (the musical)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »
Tickets went on sale today for their Chicago run. I got tickets for February. SO PUMPED.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
Has NO ONE HEARD!?!?!?!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
I watched the performance on TV of the opening song (I forget what awards show they did it on).  I thought it was interesting but far from being my cup of tea.  People love it and it's a huge hit out here with people always talking about it.  But I personally am not interested, maybe if it was affordable I'd give it a shot  :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:48:09 AM »
Yeah it's nuts here now too that it's going to be here in Sept. I'm not a huge hip hop fan either but the way the song flows it's freaking amazing and the fact that the entire music is one giant history lesson (and is pretty much historically accurate) is really cool, no to mention the fact that there's a program in NY as well as upcoming in Chi where something like 20,000 high school students will be able to view the show for I believe $10 (a HAMILTON) a ticket because of the history. So not only will they be learning something but also get a chance to see a musical when many usually don't get that chance.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »
That's a sweet deal for the kids.

Offline YtsePhish

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the awesome drummer involved in Hamilton will be featured on Phish's forthcoming album and describes one track as 15 minutes w/ classical percussion!!!!!

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/phish-recruited-hamilton-drummer-for-every-song-new-album/

Online faizoff

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 09:17:12 PM »
Wanted to bump this thread instead of making a new one.

Saw the play in town last year and went in blind not listening to the music before hand. I'm always cautious when the reputation of something precedes before you've had a chance to experience be it a movie, show or album. Since the show last August I've been listening to this album like no other.

The music is just something else, as someone who grew up with mainly heavy and thrash metal and some prog (DT) with a little hip hop and pop here and there this album is probably at the absolute top of my entire music listening history of around 30 years.

I think this album might be in my top 5 of all time.
My top albums evoke all these weird emotions like SFAM and BTBAM's Parallax II. This album is among those. It has so many classic compositions, theme reused, beatlesesque tunes, tasty drums, grooving bass lines and one of the most important factors for me, excellent production. I can blast this album and everything is crystal clear to listen to.

Having a set of high end headphones, the CD is pure bliss to listen to.
What is equally fun to listen to is the instrumental version, you can hear all these amazing soundscapes beneath. Even the mixtape version is a fun cover type album.
Wonder if anyone else apart from OP is a fan of the album.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 01:17:10 AM »
I love it. We unfortunately have no stage production here and I usually do not like Dutch productions when they are here, so will have to do with the album version. But I think it is amazing.

I really hope there will be a good live recording, but this is rare for musical productions, usually there will only be a shoddy film with heavily altered songs and actors who perform badly.

Online faizoff

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 08:10:56 AM »
Indeed the stage play is also well choreographed and presented.

The road stage company is very good and as far as I know there are very few companies licensed to perform it, so if they plan to play in your country it would be worth checking out.

The original cast have already done a professional recording of the stage play and that recording is to be released in Oct next year. There will be a theatrical release first followed by a home video release.

Disney paid a hefty sum for the rights to distribute it and some of the concern is if they'll release only the clean version of the show. I doubt Lin Manuel would have agreed to that condition.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »
Wanted to bump this thread instead of making a new one.

Saw the play in town last year and went in blind not listening to the music before hand. I'm always cautious when the reputation of something precedes before you've had a chance to experience be it a movie, show or album. Since the show last August I've been listening to this album like no other.

The music is just something else, as someone who grew up with mainly heavy and thrash metal and some prog (DT) with a little hip hop and pop here and there this album is probably at the absolute top of my entire music listening history of around 30 years.

Hmmm...

I took my daughter to see Hamilton about a year and a half ago.  She was super into it and knew all of the songs.  I was, of course, familiar with all of the hype but hadn't heard anything from it beforehand.  My basic reaction to it was, "ok, that was good/fine, but what the heck is all the hype about?"  Because of the musical style, it was very dense and required a lot of concentration to keep up with what was happening.  No problem with that, but nothing really grabbed me.

Of the musicals I've seen (which isn't many), it's probably near the bottom:

1. Les Miserables (I first saw it in the early 90s and have seen it a half dozen times since; it is probably the greatest thing ever)

Gap

2. Wicked

Big gap

3. Phantom of the Opera (this is another "what's all the fuss about" thing, but it's still really good)
4. Be More Chill

Gap

5. Hamilton
6. Dear Evan Hanson (of the six this is the only one that I probably have more negative things to say than positive)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »
I've seen even less musicals than you. Only 3 so far Wicked, Lion King and Hamilton. Of the three I think Wicked was the best traditional musical. I think Hamilton is a lot to take in at first viewing. My initial impression was that I was entertained by it and had some musical cues stuck in my head, mainly the King George Beatlesque piece. All other tunes were fun to watch and I kinda wish I had heard all the songs before going.

If things get back to normal, the tour is planning to come again next year in July. I will definitely try and make it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 12:50:20 PM »
I've seen even less musicals than you. Only 3 so far Wicked, Lion King and Hamilton. Of the three I think Wicked was the best traditional musical. I think Hamilton is a lot to take in at first viewing. My initial impression was that I was entertained by it and had some musical cues stuck in my head, mainly the King George Beatlesque piece. All other tunes were fun to watch and I kinda wish I had heard all the songs before going.

If things get back to normal, the tour is planning to come again next year in July. I will definitely try and make it.

I think in this case, having a pass through the songs before seeing the show might have increased my enjoyment.

My daughter and I had tickets for Les Mis on May 8.  They rescheduled for the second Friday in October, which is right in the middle of her marching band season, so I'm hoping the theater will allow us to exchange for a different date.

Probably goes without saying, but I HIGHLY recommend Les Mis if it comes to your area.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 07:38:06 PM »
I've been meaning to watch the movie version of Les Mis for a while. I know some of the songs from it, not sure I'll get a chance to catch a play of it anywhere.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 09:45:48 AM »
I've been meaning to watch the movie version of Les Mis for a while. I know some of the songs from it, not sure I'll get a chance to catch a play of it anywhere.

The movie was surprisingly good.  It has a couple added bits and pieces, and I can't remember if there's anything omitted, but it was very faithful to the flow of the stage production.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »

The movie was surprisingly good.  It has a couple added bits and pieces, and I can't remember if there's anything omitted, but it was very faithful to the flow of the stage production.

Oh man, I was not into the movie. I loved aspects of it, but I just did not like the directing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 10:32:01 AM »
Indeed the stage play is also well choreographed and presented.

The road stage company is very good and as far as I know there are very few companies licensed to perform it, so if they plan to play in your country it would be worth checking out.

The original cast have already done a professional recording of the stage play and that recording is to be released in Oct next year. There will be a theatrical release first followed by a home video release.

Disney paid a hefty sum for the rights to distribute it and some of the concern is if they'll release only the clean version of the show. I doubt Lin Manuel would have agreed to that condition.

Ah, that is great news, looking forward to it!

And I think there is a Dutch production on it's way, but those are very hit and miss for me. Sometimes a full broadway/west-end production hits our theaters for a limited time (one or two months), that would be neat (a recent example was Book of Mormon, which I unfortunately had to miss).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »

Oh man, I was not into the movie. I loved aspects of it, but I just did not like the directing.

Have you seen (and, if so, did you like) the stage production?

Online faizoff

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
I guess this now belongs in the Movies discussion forum, the Hamilton Original Broadway Cast movie release has been pushed up to stream on Disney+ on July 3rd instead of the October 2021 date.

That's a major 16 month advanced push.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2020, 08:47:15 AM »
I suppose I have to watch Hamilton in order to be well-read and aware, but I just have an innate distaste for Lin-Manuel Miranda.   I can't put my finger on it (and I'm not sure I would share if I could).  There's just something off-putting about him.   My daughter who has seen it twice gushes over it, so I will see it in one form or another at some point, but... not looking forward to it.

I'm a fan of certain musicals, though.  Big fan of Les Miz.   Loved Phantom when it came to Hartford.  All That Jazz was spectacular.   

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 08:57:36 AM »
Well if you already hate all things Lin-Manuel, I doubt you'll enjoy this at all. Putting his non-music characteristics aside, this play is more like a hip-hop show rather than anything "traditional" Broadway. at least IMO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »
Well if you already hate all things Lin-Manuel, I doubt you'll enjoy this at all. Putting his non-music characteristics aside, this play is more like a hip-hop show rather than anything "traditional" Broadway. at least IMO.

I don't know that I agree with that.  It's not entirely wrong, but if it were more like a hip-hop show than "traditional" Broadway, I would have HATED it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »

I don't know that I agree with that.  It's not entirely wrong, but if it were more like a hip-hop show than "traditional" Broadway, I would have HATED it.

Right, I guess it's a well balanced mix of the traditional elements along with hip-hop. It's a blend that has very catchy tunes but is almost all sung and no dialog.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 11:27:41 AM »

Right, I guess it's a well balanced mix of the traditional elements along with hip-hop. It's a blend that has very catchy tunes but is almost all sung and no dialog.

I don't mind that.  I enjoy musical theater (for the most part).  It's something less tangible than that. 

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 07:31:54 PM »
I'm watching this now on Disney Plus and I think it deserves all of the hype and and more.  I've only seen four college-level productions of musicals.  I've never watched Grease, I just don't care for musicals at all.  They've never been my thing.

The subject matter is drawing me in, since I love the Revolutionary War, and this show has been hyped for years, so I might as well check it out since it's free.  I'm absolutely stunned at the amount of words that are packed into some songs, sung at such a rapid-fire pace, but not one word seems wasted.  I actually had to turn it off after 20 minutes last night because I wanted something I could just mindlessly watch, and you really do have to pay attention to this show.

Jonathan Groff is hilarious as King George.  He's amazing in Mindhunter, and I can't hear him and not hear Kristoff from Frozen, but he is awesome.  As is the rest of the cast.

Online faizoff

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
I'm on my 2nd watch, after seeing the show last year been listening to the soundtrack almost every other day, I'm still obsessed with it. It was great to finally see the show again now that I was so familiar with the music. Such an entertaining show.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 10:11:25 PM »
We saw it on Broadway three years ago, front row balcony...the main cast minus Lin-Manuel.  Watched it tonight.  I was totally transfixed by his performance. There was just that added 'it' factor. 

Not my 'music' by any means, but I totally enjoyed it yet again.  The filming was pretty damn good, far better than most editing.  There were times when the choreography and the effects of the rotating floor were somewhat missed due to the angle or too much of a close up, but that would be my only slight knock on it.

One great benefit of tonight:  being able to stop and pause when needed.  I will admit, at 160 minutes, it was one of the hardest shows to sit through in person.

(thanks to my wife, I love(d) going a couple times a year.  Gawd, I miss Broadway!  :'()

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online faizoff

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 10:41:44 PM »
I have the same minor complaint on it that they may have had a few more closeups when I would've liked to have seen the wide shot of the stage at times.

That and am still bitter about censoring the Fucks outs.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »
It was about 30 minutes too long and I lost interest after the intermission.  But it was still very, very good. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2020, 11:46:41 AM »
dunno if I'll actually watch it or check out the Soundtrack, but I just noticed The Decemberists wrote this song more or less for it.

http://home.decemberists.com/news/ben-franklins-song/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:27:28 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
I'm watching this now on Disney Plus and I think it deserves all of the hype and and more.

I stated my opinion earlier in the thread.  My wife and daughter watched on Disney Plus this past weekend.  My wife's reaction was similar to mine (although she enjoys rap/hiphop more than I do).  I didn't sit with them while they watched, but I got the sense that, while the close-up camera work must have been nice, it definitely loses something not seeing it live.  It was a bit off-putting to see a Puerto Rican guy playing Hamilton, and my wife commented that it was odd to have a black guy playing Thomas Jefferson (although maybe that was a bit of ironic casting).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »

If you are talking about the two spots in Act 2 relating to the affair, I didn't know they did that, but I honestly think it's simultaneously a LOT funnier without losing any of the drama by doing it the way they did. 

As far as ranking this one among other musicals, I'm not sure.  I'd definitely put it up near the top, but not sure whether I would put it at #1.  I see that Les Mis gets high marks in this thread, but while I liked it, I didn't think it was great.  I'd put it somewhere in the middle.  I'd probably put either Hamilton or Jeckyll and Hyde up at the top.  When I saw the original on Broadway in the late '90s, I thought it was fantastic.  But then when I saw their traveling cast perform it in L.A. at the Pantages, I thought it was really, really bad.  Funny how the caste can make such a difference.

For Hamilton, I've only seen the filmed version, and I know the camera work and editing adds a lot to it.  But, man, the choreography and blocking are SO good.  They convey SO much with such a simple stage, and it is brilliant how they do some of what they do.  But, yeah, going back to what I said in the other thread, when my kids played me some of the songs, I thought they were good, but wasn't immediately impressed.  When I watched it the first time, it wasn't until a good ways into Act 1 that I was able to get past that and began to be thoroughly impressed.  It isn't perfect, but it is very well done.  And has plenty of emotion.  After seeing it a dozen or so times, there are still parts that easily choke me up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online faizoff

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »

If you are talking about the two spots in Act 2 relating to the affair, I didn't know they did that, but I honestly think it's simultaneously a LOT funnier without losing any of the drama by doing it the way they did. 

No that part is the same originally in the album.

I'm referring to these

From Yorktown in ACT I

"Hercules Mulligan, I need no introduction

When you knock me down I get the fuck back up again!"

From Washington on your side ACT II

"OH! Let’s show these Federalists what they’re up against!
Southern motherfucking Democratic-Republicans!"

They switch it to "Southern mother cracking Democratic-Republicans!"