Author Topic: Dream Theater Hair  (Read 17949 times)

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
Dream Theater Hair
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »
This has been on my mind for a while and I couldn't find any info. online. I just only found some few answers to this question. How has the band's hairstyle been throughout the album? I'm thinking this:

WDADU
John P.- Long, curly
John M.- Long, Straight
Mike P.- Long, Curly
Kevin M.- Long, Curly
Charlie D.- Long, Curly

I&W
John P.- Long, curly
John M.- Long, straight
James L.- Long, curly
Mike P.- Long, curly
Kevin M.- Long, curly

Awake
John P.- Long, curly
John M.- Long, straight
James L.- Long, curly
Mike P.- Long, frizzly
Kevin M.- Long, curly

FII
John P.- Long, curly
John M.- Long, straight
James L.- Long curly
Mike P.- Long, curly
Derek S.- Short, kind of curly

Metropolis Part 2
John P.- Long, curly
John M.- Long, straight
James L.- Long, wispy
Mike P.- Short, choppy
Jordan R.- Long (His hairstyle got me at first O_O)

SDOIT
I already know.

ToT
All I know is that JP had short hair.

8vm
No idea at all.

SC
Already know.

BC&SL
Already know.

So ToT and 8vm, I need answers to. Thanks!
Glad to be back.

Offline jsbru

Re: Dream Theater Hair
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »
There comes a point where you just get too old to have long hair.  I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the guys in the band are past that point.  Mangini and Petrucci, at least.  It looks a little ratty, TBH.  I wish JP would go back to the shorter look of the early 2000s.

LaBrie can still sort of rock it, and Myung's hair is so straight, he can probably get away with it forever.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:47:34 PM »
Man, we're really scraping the barrel for conversation topics.
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »
For ToT, just watch the Making Of series of videos, and for Octavarium watch Score I would say.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 12:37:02 AM »
Considering its a hair thread, you should check out the SDOIT Studio visit video. I wasn't sure if it's ok to post a link.

JP: "Since I have cut my hair all my songs are 3 minute long in 4/4..........But when I grow my beard I play heavier. And when it gets really long I sound like ZZ Top!"
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Considering its a hair thread, you should check out the SDOIT Studio visit video. I wasn't sure if it's ok to post a link.

JP: "Since I have cut my hair all my songs are 3 minute long in 4/4..........But when I grow my beard I play heavier. And when it gets really long I sound like ZZ Top!"

LOL Unforgettable...

I kinda like JR beard on the DVD bootleg of Dark Side of the Moon, it so XIX's

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
Please, can we talk about this rare John Petrucci?

Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
Oh my god.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 04:50:20 PM »
Don't forget the 5 Years in a Livetime hair.

Seriously, wtf?

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »

What else is new! :facepalm:

Offline pcs90

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:57:43 PM »
That's what I thought too!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »

Yup! This came to mind. Worst. JP. EVAR. This was the look he premiered at the beginning of the tour with Yes in 2004, and over time the red highlights disappeared and/or were replaced with deep blue ones, the mustache grew back and I'm pretty sure he ditched the Hollywood sunglasses. Not sure what possessed him to try this look, or for that matter, the manscara emo look or even the one he used for Gigantour (hair not so bad, but ridiculous pants). Glad that he's just revert to be normal again (and has since roughly 2006).

Don't forget the 5 Years in a Livetime hair.

Seriously, wtf?
I've seen at least one photo where his hair was even shorter (tho not as short as for ADToE) and he had a mustache.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:37 PM »
I actually don't mind that JLB hair... Maybe that says more about me  :loser:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »

I cannot even comprehend this. I really don't like it and I'm really glad that look is long gone.

Long hair ftw
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:39 PM »
Not sure what possessed him to try this look.

I'm almost sure Steve Vai possessed him  :lol

(...) or even the one he used for Gigantour (hair not so bad, but ridiculous pants). Glad that he's just revert to be normal again (and has since roughly 2006).

Oh, man, I don't know why he dressed like this. Anyone would think he's a guitar player of a Nu Metal band (plus, with the short hair he looked like 25-30 y.o.

Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Calvin6s

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »
Oh, man, I don't know why he dressed like this. Anyone would think he's a guitar player of a Nu Metal band (plus, with the short hair he looked like 25-30 y.o.

And answered.

Quite frankly, I thought the short hair and style worked pretty well for JP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 10:36:47 PM »
Quite frankly, I thought the short hair and style worked pretty well for JP.
The shorter hair is one thing - the clothes from that time period are something completely different. And that photo doesn't even show the worst clothes he had. I remember seeing a photo of him wearing these fairly baggy pants that had bright orange straps hanging down from them. Ridiculous.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 10:41:13 PM »
Manly thread is manly.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Calvin6s

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 11:16:45 PM »
I remember seeing a photo of him wearing these fairly baggy pants that had bright orange straps hanging down from them. Ridiculous.
I usually try not to talk about clothes and hair of a band.  What am I a 13yo girl?  :angel: (honestly, keep up the posting OntheBacksofAngela.  We should welcome a fan that doesn't fit the typical DT profile.)  But that doesn't mean I don't take mental notes on style.

I think I know the zipper pants of which you speak.  They can't all be hits.  He's gonna have some misses.  I thought it was cool that he tried out new territory in his life that was obviously a risk for him.  I bet Myung wishes he could try a cool short hair look, but is afraid it might not turn out well and have to deal with all that hair farming time he put in going to waste  :biggrin:  I'm saying this as someone that used to have extremely long hair.  Once it gets a certain length, cutting it is very hard.

Now Jordan's goatee, don't get me started on that.  Shaving his head was a great move though.  He pulled that off nicely.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:59 AM »
Think they'll all go bald next. With long beards....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 05:24:42 AM »
I remember seeing a photo of him wearing these fairly baggy pants that had bright orange straps hanging down from them. Ridiculous.

:D

Offline pianoman

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
This thread can't be without this famous jp pic 

Offline Art

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 05:47:03 AM »

:D

WHY, GOD? WHY?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 06:50:36 AM »
His hair is awesome in that pic though.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
Looks like JP is going SUPER SAIYAN

SO ENEGY, POWAH

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
Just to stray out of this topic for a quick second, because I dont want to create a new one.
I remmeber seeing a video where Dream Theater chose an item for each member. Moore got the piano, Portnoy got the gloves, labrie got the mike thing, myung got the cook, ad petrucci got the exaggerator. What were those things? I've never seen theme before.
Glad to be back.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 09:09:12 AM »
Just to stray out of this topic for a quick second, because I dont want to create a new one.
I remmeber seeing a video where Dream Theater chose an item for each member. Moore got the piano, Portnoy got the gloves, labrie got the mike thing, myung got the cook, ad petrucci got the exaggerator. What were those things? I've never seen theme before.

Do you mean the condoms?

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 09:15:58 AM »
Excuse me?
What's that?
Glad to be back.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
What were your favourite looks of the bandmembers?

JLB - long hair with beard, I guess BCSL era
JM - Asian, always looked the same (kidding, maybe 8varium)
JR - bald head and long beard, just like now
JP - Budokan look (spiky hair) as well as his classic look (long hair, short beard)
MP - curly hair, medium length, white sport jersey, a bit of beard, glasses
MM - I guess he should get a haircut, JP still looks nice with long hair IMO, but Mangini should definitely cut it off
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »
All I know, is I would take that LaBrie from the photo above, and almost every Petrucci photo here (less the one with the orange streaks, and the pants with the parachute still mistakenly clipped to the side) over today's look.   

I put on BTFW on Palladia the other week, and she knows I dig Portnoy, so I told her a little about the band and said "this is his old band...etc. etc."  She kind of dug the music (she's mostly country, but likes rock as long as they are singing not screaming or carving up a lung), but looked at me and said "But they look ridiculous.  They're the same age as YOU?"

Look, metal is as much a uniform as any other genre, including rap and boy bands.   Dark jeans, check.   Weird dark t-shirt with the pseudo-tat looking artwork on the front, maybe some flames on the side, check.  Black boots, check.   Long straggly hair despite the slightly receding hairline, check.  Beard, check.  I mean, c'mon.  And it's not just DT:  Richie Kotzen looked ridiculous when I saw him with the Winery Dogs eith the leggings and shorts and stretchy sweater and not stretchy sweater...  Give me Billy Sheehan - simple black pants, simple black button down shirt - any day of the week.  If you have to make the shirt color, fine.  Blue or purple silk, and you're looking good (see: Robert Plant). 

Best dressed DT member ever:  Derek Sherinian. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »

Do you mean the condoms?
Yeah, they are in Japan and MP picks out condoms for the band members. They were a bunch of hobbies/interest themed condoms.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.
Glad to be back.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
Just saw your age in your profile. That would explain why you don't know what they are. Best thing for you to do is to get the definition of the word on a dictionary website.  ;)

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2015, 10:41:39 AM »
Just saw your age in your profile. That would explain why you don't know what they are. Best thing for you to do is to get the definition of the word on a dictionary website.  ;)
I did but I couldn't understand at all. :/
1) Great invention to decrease population and STI'S.
2) Great 75 cent policy for teens who want to bone.
3) Man's greatest enemy but his closest friend.
I mean, wtf do they mean?
Glad to be back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 10:42:55 AM »
You gotta be trolling right now. There's just no way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.