Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 43455 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »
Loose contact is my first thought as well.  I was concerned when you kept calling it the "needle".  Typically it's the "stylus" or if it's all one assembly it's often referred to as the "cartridge" (but a lot of people just call it the needle anyway  :xbones).  My concern was because a free-standing stylus (or whatever they're called) is much more fragile and much more a pain in the ass to replace.  I don't read German but it looks like the the DSN 85 is the whole cartridge assembly, which should be a simple replacement, so I'm thinking something inside the cartridge is loose.  Hopefully you can return/replace it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »
Thanks for the answers guys. I'm sorry about the word "needle", that's literally how you call it in German though ;)

Now, I just uninstalled everything around my turntable, including the cartridge, unplugged everything and reinstalled everything for one last time - prepared to totally freak out and smash everything in my apartment into a million pieces after still hearing that weird noise.

I might never know what the problem was... but now it works. After requesting a return-sticker from Amazon and ordering a different cartridge from another website  :lol  Anyway, I hope it stays that way.

Thanks for your help  :biggrin: I will now listen to no-man - Together We're Stranger on vinyl!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Cool that the problem seems to be fixed!  Too bad you'll probably never figure out what it was.  Life is full of disappointments, but at least it's a "good" unexplainable thing and not a "bad" unexplainable thing, which would really be annoying.

I hadn't considered the language barrier, even though the German site should've clued me in.  As a former aspiring audio snob, I remember audio snobs back in the 70's and 80's discussing at length the difference between "needle" and "stylus" and "cartridge" and I guess it stuck with me.  I always try to use the term which provides distinction wherever possible; I just hadn't considered that there might not be such a distinction in other languages.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #283 on: May 22, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
I'm almost pulling the trigger in buying a turntable setup (Fluance RT85) with a Schiit Mani preamp

I'm also looking into getting this standalone CD player (probably will sell the speakers).
Denon D-M41 Home Theater Mini Amplifier and Bookshelf Speaker Pair
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072635J3H/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

As far as speakers go, I'm tempted to get some Klipsh, but I'm decided if I should get the active or passive...Would need to connect both the turntable with the amp and CD player.

Which speakers would go best with this setup? Active or passive?
https://www.klipsch.com/bookshelf-speakers (R-41 or R51)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:52:55 PM by goo-goo »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: May 23, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »
I would go with passive since you'll a preamp so you'll be able to drive the speakers. I'd love to hear what you think of the Klipsch speakers. I'm looking at getting some better speakers for my turntable.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #285 on: May 23, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »
Finally pulled the trigger for my office setup. Denon DM-41 Mini Home Office System; Schiit Mani Phono Amp and Project EVO DC with the Sumiko Rainier MM phono cartridge

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2021, 09:34:36 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger for my office setup. Denon DM-41 Mini Home Office System; Schiit Mani Phono Amp and Project EVO DC with the Sumiko Rainier MM phono cartridge

Nice.

Never even thought about having a stand for the vinyl I am playing. Will immediately go after that.

I own the same Denon set (but have my vinyl player connected to an old Denon microset, the m41 is for gaming, CDs and spotify). For most things I like the Denon speakers (I came from an Edifier R1700BT active set). The most easy upgrade in my opinion is a (small) subwoofer. If you happen to change speakers, keep in mind that there is a audio filter setting in the menu called SPK OPTIMISE ,where the sound of the amp is specifically tailored to the SC-M41 speakers (which is on automatically if you buy it as a set I believe).

And while I am by no means an expert, I think CD's in combination with the HD6xx headphone sounds amazing on the Denon system (and there are gain options if you are going to use a hard to drive heaphone).

My first upgrade will be another vinyl player. I now have an entry-level Sony integrated with phone and all, but want one with more options and of higher quality.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #287 on: May 25, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
Do you have a preamp for the headphones? Schiit Audio carries some nice stuff and price competitive.

What subwoofer do you have on your Denon?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2021, 05:31:27 AM »
Nice collection and setup you got there! Congratulations  :metal
any rock can be made to roll

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »
Agreed, it looks really nice!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2021, 08:48:53 AM »
I really like playing vinyl and I actually just got a second hand Technics that sounds way better than the Sony turntable I used to have.

Anyway, my kid seems to have messed things up.. the tonearm lowers too much, resulting in the stylus being pressed into the cartridge, with the cartridge resting on the vinyl. I get a few seconds of normal play but the stylus scratches along the surface very easily, resulting in a very recognizable sound.. lol.

I checked the counterweight, but she couldn't have possibly adjusted it. Guess I'll bring it for repair soon.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #291 on: May 28, 2021, 07:29:03 AM »
Do you have a preamp for the headphones? Schiit Audio carries some nice stuff and price competitive.

What subwoofer do you have on your Denon?

You will not need a headphone amp. And I really don't think it is a good idea to connect an amp to another amp (a volume knob mistake can potentially damage your equipment). Same for active speakers. Basically don't connect an amp to an amp (unless it is specifically preamp to amp).

But the Denon runs the Senheiser HD6xx really well (I also own a Shiit Magni 3+ for my pc setup). For what it's worth, my audiophile dad who uses an AKG k1000 (and some other audio technica closed phones) with a Naim amp I probably can't afford was really impressed by listening to the Denon playing CD's with the HD6xx.

As for a sub. It makes the sound more well rounded and for certain genres the lower frequencies do really enhance the music. I believe the subwoofer out is a pre-out, so here you do need an active subwoofer. For most smaller speakers a certain range of low frequencies will always be compromised due to, well, physics. I am, however, not enough of an expert to really give advice. The best you can do is contact a local audio dealer and look for some advice. Or even ask Denon support themselves what are recommended subwoofer specs.

I personally bought a cheap used Yamaha (Yamaha YST FSW 150) on the Dutch, local equivalent of ebay, cost me 40 euros. I have to put this subwoofer at a very, very low volume level for music (otherwise it will overpower the music). Perhaps it is a tad too powerful for this setup, but for a cheap tryout it worked out. And oddly enough for bluetooth it sounds boomy but both CD's and digital signals via optical sound great. Not sure if I recommend my model, but for the price I paid and as a test, it worked out well enough that I will consider going for a sub that has more options (adjust filters and crossover) and is a bit smaller.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2024, 06:39:52 PM »
Bumping because I finally got a turntable setup

Fluance RT83
Sony RTDH190 Reciever (w/ Phono Input)
And a pair of Klipsch R-51M speakers

I've been buying vinyl for years with the intent of one day getting a turntable. Excited to finally have one  :D
First record I'm spinning is The Whirlwind - Transatlantic

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2024, 09:02:52 PM »
Analog is still the best.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #294 on: February 14, 2024, 10:28:24 PM »
Bumping because I finally got a turntable setup

Fluance RT83
Sony RTDH190 Reciever (w/ Phono Input)
And a pair of Klipsch R-51M speakers

I've been buying vinyl for years with the intent of one day getting a turntable. Excited to finally have one  :D
First record I'm spinning is The Whirlwind - Transatlantic
Nice! The Fluance turntable are really good. I have an RT84, but I find myself constantly going back to my Schiit Sol turntable that I got back when they were still selling them. I'm a little sad they don't make them anymore.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Skeever

« Reply #295 on: February 16, 2024, 05:34:37 PM »
I've got a Fluance RT85, and I think it's excellent. Well worth the money.
I bought the pre-amp on their site, and that goes into my TV home theater speakers (a pair of tower Sony speakers that half "atoms" rear speakers on top, a center speaker, and a subwoofer). Obviously this doesn't matter for a stereo format, but actually, the additional separation you get from listening in multichannel stereo is really excellent.

There's a lot of advantages of vinyl (unique sound quality, beautiful physical package, excellent used market) and some serious drawbacks (price, environmental concerns), but the big one for me is one that'd go with any non-streaming product - it meters the pace of musical exploration. I found with apps like Spotify and Tidal, there's just too much new (and new old) stuff being flung at you all the time. Nothing, to me, beats going to a record store and buying something you've never heard based on either 1.) artist's previous work or 2.) friend recommendation, making an upfront investment in it, and then going home and listening to the product until you truly feel like you've got something out of the experience.

As I type this, I'm listening to Opeth's In Claudia Venenum, which I have never heard before. I fell off Opeth like a decade ago, but the artwork of the "Connoisseur" caught me eye in the record store today. I'm listening to it now, and man, it's a glorious album that has been preserved beautifully. To make it sound even more authentically "vinyl", the band had it first transferred to tape before it was then cut to lacquer. How many bands are willing to do something special like that for a physical product?

It's just such a special way to experience music, and I'm glad I waited on this record until the time was right. Now I'm enjoying it very much, and won't forget about it or, especially, the whole experience of buying it and listening to it, any time soon.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2024, 11:07:51 AM »
Record Store Day 2024?
https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/11083

UK RSD 2024
https://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/

Jeff Buckley and Gary Lucas?
Monkees?
Emerson Lake and Palmer?
Chris Isaak?
Ultravox?
Steven Wilson?
Yes?

if I could go to a Record Store in the UK, I'd be seeking

Oceansize - Home & Minor
Jessie Ware - Tough Love

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2024, 11:16:23 AM »
Record Store Day 2024?
https://recordstoreday.com/NewsItem/11083

UK RSD 2024
https://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/

Jeff Buckley and Gary Lucas?
Monkees?
Emerson Lake and Palmer?
Chris Isaak?
Ultravox?
Steven Wilson?
Yes?

if I could go to a Record Store in the UK, I'd be seeking

Oceansize - Home & Minor
Jessie Ware - Tough Love

Saw the list this week. As has been the case for about 5 years now there is nothing that I am remotely interested in. I guess that's a good thing since I'm behind on my CD buying anyway.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2024, 11:06:21 AM »
I want to get the Steven Wilson Harmony Codex extra's and the Within Temptation promo acoustic live EP (not sure if that last one is a Dutch only thing, they are this years am ambassadors).

Last year I only got the Porcupune Tree EP with those In Absentia bonus tracks.