Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 43643 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »
RESSURECTION

Grace for Drowning. Holy fuck.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2012, 04:16:49 AM »
Excellent bump! I never did give a full list of everything I have now:

The Animals:
The Best of

Asia:
Asia
Alpha

The Beatles:
Abbey Road

Beethoven:
Symphony No. 6 (Funk & Wagnalls)

Billy Squire:
Don't Say No

Black Sabbath:
We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll

Blue Oyster Cult:
Fire of Unknown Origin

Bob Marley & The Wailers:
Legend

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra:
In Concert With Boehringer Mannheim
Also Sprach Zarathustra (Fritz Reiner/Strauss)

The Cars:
Candy-O
Panorama
Shake it Up

Chuck Mangione:
Feels So Good

Daryl Hall & John Oates:
Rock'n Soul Part 1

David Bowie:
Let's Dance

Deep Purple:
In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall

The Doors:
The Doors
The Best of

Electric Light Orchestra:
Out of the Blue
Discovery

Emerson Lake & Palmer:
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Tarkus
Trilogy
Brain Salad Surgery
Works Vol. 1
Works Vol. 2
Best of

Focus:
Moving Waves (II)

Foo Fighters:
Wasting Light

Genesis:
Abacab
Genesis

Grover Washington Jr.:
Winelight

HIM:
Screamworks

Hounds:
Puttin' on the Dog

Jackie Gleason:
A Taste of Brass

Jethro Tull:
Thick as a Brick
A Passion Play

John Coltrane:
Blue Train
A Love Supreme

Judas Priest:
Unleashed in the East

Kansas:
Song for America
Leftoverture
Point of Know Return

Kiss:
Dressed to Kill

The Knack:
Get the Knack

Lady Gaga:
Born This Way

Led Zeppelin:
Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin IV
Presence

Lynyrd Skynyrd:
Platinum and Gold

Mike Oldfield:
Tubular Bells

Neil Young & Crazy Horse:
Rust Never Sleeps

Ozzy Osbourne:
Blizzard of Ozz

Peter Frampton:
Frampton Comes Alive

Phil Collins:
Hello, I Must Be Going!

Pink Floyd:
Animals
The Final Cut

Queen:
Greatest Hits

Red Rider:
As Far As Siam

Robert Plant:
The Principle of Moments

The Rolling Stones:
Some Girls
Tattoo You

Rush:
A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Signals
Power Windows
Hold Your Fire

Scorpions:
Lovedrive

Sniff'n' The Tears:
Fickle Heart

Stanlet Turentine:
Tender Togetherness

Steely Dan:
Aja

Styx:
Equinox
The Grand Illusion
Pieces of Eight
Kilroy Was Here

Supertramp:
Crisis? What Crisis?

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers:
Hard Promises

Van Halen:
Van Halen II
Women and Children First
Fair Warning

Vangelis:
Chariots of Fire

Paul Whiteman Conducts George Gershwin

The Who:
Who Are You
Tommy
Who's Next
The Kids Are Alright
It's Hard

Yes:
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Yessongs
Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Going For the One
Tormato
Drama
Fly From Here

Soundtracks:
The Big Chill
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Crossroads
Doctor Zhivago
E.T
Heavy Metal
The Who's Tommy

Offline Ħ

« Reply #212 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
I just thought of something. Why does vinyl play in stereo? What gives it that potential? Does the needle pick up each side of the groove separately?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #213 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:40 AM »
I just thought of something. Why does vinyl play in stereo? What gives it that potential? Does the needle pick up each side of the groove separately?

Nope, the needle picks up the grooves in different directions instead of just up/down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#Stereophonic_sound

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #214 on: February 29, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

Nope, the needle picks up the grooves in different directions instead of just up/down.

Actually yes. The description on wikipedia is pretty much exactly what I said.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #215 on: February 29, 2012, 09:47:32 AM »

Actually yes. The description on wikipedia is pretty much exactly what I said.

In that case you explained it poorly. I thought you meant just left/right movement on one axis and it picked up the left and right sides/walls of the groove (which wouldn't really work given how the needle reads sound).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #216 on: February 29, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
Er, maybe I've still got it backwards. But I'm thinking inner/outer sides of the groove and not left/right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #217 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
Lately I've been developing an obsession for Vinyl. When I go to the record store there's just something that drags me down to the Vinyl-section, despite the fact that I don't own a player for it. It just has something magical, and I must buy a Vinyl-player so that I can start collecting it. While I will still continue picking up CDs, they aren't that "special". They are great because you can play them in the car, but unless they have a special packaging or something that makes them interesting, a normal CD-case with a CD in it doesn't feel very interesting. Meanwhile Vinyl just has something.
Problem is that I have no idea where to start, because there's a jungle of Vinyl-players out there. Big range in price, and I have no idea if there are any particular "features" or whatever that I should get. Some people rave about turntables, but hey.. I'm no Skrillex.  :lol
Honestly though, if someone here knows a lot about players, I would love some minor tips on what to look for.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #218 on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #219 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »
That's not much, but that's gooooooooood stuff right there.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #220 on: February 29, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
Lately I've been developing an obsession for Vinyl. When I go to the record store there's just something that drags me down to the Vinyl-section, despite the fact that I don't own a player for it. It just has something magical, and I must buy a Vinyl-player so that I can start collecting it. While I will still continue picking up CDs, they aren't that "special". They are great because you can play them in the car, but unless they have a special packaging or something that makes them interesting, a normal CD-case with a CD in it doesn't feel very interesting. Meanwhile Vinyl just has something.
Problem is that I have no idea where to start, because there's a jungle of Vinyl-players out there. Big range in price, and I have no idea if there are any particular "features" or whatever that I should get. Some people rave about turntables, but hey.. I'm no Skrillex.  :lol
Honestly though, if someone here knows a lot about players, I would love some minor tips on what to look for.

The idea of having a vinyl collection is really cool to me, but they're such a fucking pain in the ass (and costly) that I really can't be bothered to deal with them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #221 on: February 29, 2012, 10:51:50 AM »
Thanks! I started at Christmas, and I don't have a massive amount to spend as a student. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: February 29, 2012, 11:08:36 AM »

The idea of having a vinyl collection is really cool to me, but they're such a fucking pain in the ass (and costly) that I really can't be bothered to deal with them.

I get what you mean. Personally I would use Vinyl as more of a "get the albums I love the most" kind of thing. I wouldn't buy just any album I like (and already have on CD), but slowly collecting the ones I think are worth owning on Vinyl.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #223 on: February 29, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
If an album is made for vinyl (classic rock, SW stuff), then I'll get the vinyl and not the CD. Since vinyls are so expensive, I really don't buy random albums, but only albums I've heard before and really enjoy.

5.1 surround overrides vinyl though. If I own the surround version then I don't see a point for vinyl.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #224 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »
I have a 130 records right now. I started collecting in November, I just head out to Cheapo
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #225 on: February 29, 2012, 04:23:30 PM »
I got a Record player for Christmas last year. Sicne then I've bought:

Genesis:
Full discography

Yes:
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Drama

Pink Floyd:
Meddle
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
The Wall

Emerson, Lake and Palmer:
Tarkus
Pictures at an Exhibition
Trilogy
Brain Salad Sugery
Ladies and Gentlemen, Emerson Lake and Palmer

Steve Hackett:
Voyage of the Acolyte

Deep Purple:
Machine Head
Made in Japan

Camel:
Rain Dances

Thin Lizzy:
Jailbreak

Rush:
A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves

Metallica:
Kill em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice for All
The Black Album
Garage Inc.
S&M
Death Magnetic

The Who:
Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia

King Crimson:
In the Court of the Crimson King

The Beatles:
Abbey Road
Sgt. Pepper

Talas:
Sink You Teeth Into That

U.K.:
U.K.

EDIT: and 1 more I forgot.
Dream Theater:
Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:56:28 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline TimelessSymphony

• just a random guy
« Reply #226 on: February 29, 2012, 07:22:06 PM »
damn looking at your collections i feel puny :(... and whats worse i don't even have a record player  :facepalm:

well here i go anyway :3!!..

Rhapsody:
Emerald Sword
Symphony of Enchanted Lands
Dawn of Victory
Power of The Dragonflame

Rhapsody of Fire:
Triumph or Agony

Luca Turilli:
The Ancient Forest of Elves
King of The Nordic Twilight
Prophet of The Last Eclipse

Dream Theater:
Black Line And Silver Linings [Still seal]
Systematic Chaos [Still seal]

Pink Floyd:
The Dark Side of The Moon [Still seal]

Stratovarius:
Element Part I

Kamelot:
The Black Halo

Iron Maiden:
Killers [Steal seal]

Here's a picture of the collection:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: March 02, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
I will most likely buy my first player tomorrow, really excited. :)
Not sure if the names/numbers will mean much to someone outside of Sweden (since I'm not sure how huge the brands are), but what I'm getting is a player called: "Pro-ject Essential" (pretty cheap, but apparently very nice sound). It will cost me about 2400 SEK, which is roughly ~270 €. I'm also getting an amplifier called "DENON PMA-510AE" for around 1800 SEK, which is about ~205 €, and lastly I'll get the speakers called: "Argon 6210S", for 900 SEK which is about ~102 €.

Sadly I don't really have an enormous budget to spend on a massive system, but since this will be my first, I'm very excited. :)
My room isn't very big, so in this case I think it's good because the sound will probably sound better in my small room, then in a big living room for example. I don't know, complete newbie.  :lol

I already know the first Vinyls I'm gonna order as well.  :)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #228 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
Great, congratulations! BTW, make sure your amplifier has a "PHONO" input, otherwise you will have to buy a preamp to be able to connect the record player (i.e. record player -> preamp > amplifier "AUX" input instead of record player -> amplifier "PHONO" input).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: March 02, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »
Yeah, I'm fairly sure it does, though I will check it in store. I believe the Phono-output is also called "RIAA" or something, unless I have it mixed up with some other thing. Though the latter is something it must have as well.  :P

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2012, 06:05:55 PM »
I bought a turntable and amp on Wednesday  :metal

Now it's time to buy up dollar vinyl...
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: March 03, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Flea markets, dude. Always a great place for vinyl. You can find some really cool stuff at them.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
Just bought my first vinyl yesterday. I found SFAM at Vintage Vinyl in St. Louis while I was visiting a friend. I just need a player so I can listen and start finding other vinyls as well. :)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm fairly sure it does, though I will check it in store. I believe the Phono-output is also called "RIAA" or something, unless I have it mixed up with some other thing. Though the latter is something it must have as well.  :P
that may be a bad thing – in relation to vinyl, "RIAA" as an output may refer to the RIAA Curve, a specific EQ setting used to boost the reduced spectral areas (and, indeed, to reduce those areas when the audio is being cut into grooves). would seem weird to output the non-compensated audio, but then, if you can buy vinyl-specific preamps, maybe they'd take care of it...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »
Bought the amplifier and speakers during the weekend, bought the turntable itself yesterday, but it took some time to set up, but now it's all done. (the needle and finding the balance took some time, plus I'm a newbie)
But I test played one of my dad's records and it sounds really good. Will probably spin my first and only vinyl (so far) tomorrow if I have time, for those interested I bought Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One very cheap at the record store here, new copy as well. (I don't really buy used stuff, unless I have no other choice or special cases)
The turntable itself is a "Pro-Ject Essential", and I feel very happy with it so far.

A few pictures (if anyone is interested, maybe not the best pictures but an overview):
https://i42.tinypic.com/vy5zee.jpg (the player)
https://i42.tinypic.com/34oonxu.jpg (amplifier)
https://i44.tinypic.com/rkpums.jpg (vinyl)

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
Updating my collection:

- Transatlantic - SMPTe - Collector's edition bought at the Whirld tour.
- Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever - Collector's edition bought at the Whirld tour.
- Transatlantic - The Whirlwind - Collector's edition bought at the Whirld tour.
- The Dear Hunter - Act I & II
- The Dear Hunter - Act III
- The Dear Hunter - The Color EPs
- Opeth - Watershed
- Opeth - Blackwater Park (with 5.1 DVD)
- dredg - Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy (signed by the band)
- Thrice - Beggars
- Goodspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
- Goodspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada
- Goodspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
- Goodspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
- Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion

I'm seriously considering giving up vinyl. I can't find anything where I live and I've had a couple of surprises with internet purchases... one of TDH's was slightly damaged in the packaging (the vinyl itself is OK) but I also got Anathema's WHBWH special edition which included a 7 inch single and that one came straight broken in half. If I can't buy anything physically and internet purchases are a coin toss, what's the point? I may sell all of this (except maybe Chuckles which holds sentimental value) and spend that money expanding my CD collection.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:34:50 AM by Xanthul »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »
I order most of my vinyl over the web, and I get what you mean. I've only had bad luck twice with the corners being slightly bent, but it's frustrating. However, I love vinyl way too much to let go of it.
My collection so far:

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Anathema - Weather Systems
Between the Buried and Me - Colors (Orange, Limited 300 copies)
Dir En Grey - Uroboros
Dir En Grey - Dum Spiro Spero
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Mew - No More Stories Are Told Today, I'm Sorry They Washed Away
Oceansize - Catalyst (Single)
Oceansize - Remember Where You Are (Single)
Oceansize - Everyone Into Position (Single)
Oceansize - New Pin (Single)
Oceansize - Heaven Alive (Single)
Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up (Vinyl)
Oceansize - SuperImposer (Single)
Oceansize/Steven Wilson - Fear/Stoneage Dinosaurs (Single)
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
Steven Wilson - Catalogue / Preserve / Amass (Limited)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (Reissue)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (Reissue)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot (Reissue)
The Tallest Man on Earth - 1904/Cycles (Single)
The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Nice collection, the Wilsons reminded me I forgot to add Storm Corrosion to mine. I should have got the Road Salt Two vinyl when I was in the Opeth/POS concert but I hadn't heard it yet at that point (except the concert songs) and I didn't know I would end up liking it so much.

And yeah I get what you say, the excitement when you pick up a new vinyl is greater than that of CD's or DVD's for me, but the Anathema fiasco really bothered me. I guess it will be pretty hard to sell this stuff anyway (even though the Transatlantics and the Color Spectrum are limited editions) so I may just wait until I'm no longer bummed out by this and then start collecting again. Right now, I really don't feel like investing more money on vinyl.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
One thing I can think of, is to order a vinyl through a recordstore instead of over the net. If it turns up damaged, it's easier to go to the store and show it/explain the situation and have them send it back for a new one, instead of arguing with someone over the web. :P

I'd love to have RS2 on vinyl actually. Storm Corrosion is great, but I haven't picked it up on vinyl yet sadly. Not sure if you heard, but TPE is getting released on vinyl soon (in September I believe?) so should pick it up. :P

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
Does that stand for The Perfect Element? If so, I haven't heard it. The only POS I've heard are the Road Salts and I like them (especially the second one). I gave Remedy Lane a try once and I didn't particularly enjoy it so I don't know if the rest of their discography is suited for me, I got kinda tired of the whole prog metal thing a while ago.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
Double post, let's use it to discuss your online vinyl sources. Until now I've ordered either from the band's sites (good experience), the Omega Order (bad experience with the Anathema stuff) and cduniverse dot com (mostly good experience, the only bad thing was the damaged corner on TDH's Act 3). What do you guys use?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
I use Ebay and Amazon mostly. For some reason most of my vinyl has been through Ebay and Amazong has been more CD's, but I like both. Funny enough, I also have some bad experience with The Omega Order, they didn't seem too careful when it came to packaging, so my products got to suffer sadly. I've also used bands own websites from time to time, but that is mostly when a new album is coming out and there's a good bundle-deal or something. Generally I try to check the product on all three sites (their own, ebay and amazon) and see how much difference there is.

And yeah, TPE is The Perfect Element, IMO their best. While I understand if you're "bored" of Progressive Metal, I can still very much recommend it. I'm not the biggest prog metal-fan either anymore, but PoS are one of the bands that has something really good. You can always check the album out and if it sounds cool then consider buying it. :P It's a nice chance to get it physically on vinyl.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
My vinyl collection currently stands at In The Court Of The Crimson King and Storm Corrosion.

I guess I'm a little behind.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2012, 03:05:20 AM »
I've got:

Mono - Hymm to the Immortal Wind
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Bon Iver - Bon Iver

plus a whole heap of old King Crimson/Jethro Tull/Supertramp/Pink Floyd ones I've been given by relatives.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2012, 04:02:55 AM »
So, just went through my dad's Vinyl collection a bit. He has some great stuff. He used to have a player, but in the last 10 years or so he hasn't bought a new one (the old one is broken) and his vinyl has mostly been stored.
I've only gone through a small portion of his collection, but these are some vinyl I found, and they're all in fantastic condition, all are stored in plastic sleeves and have virtually no marks on them:

*Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
*Pink Floyd - The Wall
*Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
*Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
*Genesis - Selling England By the Pound
*Rush - Grace Under Pressure
*Rush - Power Windows
*Rush - Hold Your Fire
*Neil Young - Freedom
*Neil Young - Life
*Neil Young - Live Rust
*The Who - Quadrophenia

Out of these I've only really heard Live Rust and Grace Under Pressure, but I just couldn't resist picking the others out as well. He also had Marillion - Script For a Jester's Tear (though I'm not a fan of Fish), some ELO-vinyl and also two vinyl with Yes, but it wasn't two of their more known one. It was 90125 and Big Generator.
So yeah, thought I would share. He has another box with vinyl here in our closet, but it's up on a shelf and ways loads, so I'll see if I can get it down. He also has several boxes down in our cellar, so I might check that out later.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:13:38 AM by Zantera »