Author Topic: Vinyl  (Read 42729 times)

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Vinyl
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
My parents have tons of good stuff, but personally I only own DSOTM, 2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Signals, and some The Beatles.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »
I'm from Oakdale, which is a small hamlet in Islip, Suffolk County.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
Vinyl got brought up today in Music Theory, and my teacher disagrees with the statement that vinyl sounds better than than CD/digital. I have no personal standpoint on this, because I have vinyl, but haven't had a working record player set up in a while.

I don't think I can form a solid opinion on this because I haven't compared quality for all of my albums, but I have to say when I put on Opeth's My Arms, Your Hearse for the first time, it sounded a thousand times better than I ever remembered it.

EDIT: Oh.  My.  God.  I just opened my Act III vinyl, and its WHITE.  I had no idea.  AWESOME.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:39:46 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
I'm from Oakdale, which is a small hamlet in Islip, Suffolk County.

I'm quite familiar w/ Oakdale... I did my undergrad at Dowling :).

EDIT: Oh.  My.  God.  I just opened my Act III vinyl, and its WHITE.  I had no idea.  AWESOME.

Mine's clear.   ;D

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
Thats Act I and II, not Act III you nub.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
Apparently 14 hour work days + drinking lots of wine impairs my reading skills.  I blame the Roman Numeral system.  I's and II's look way too much like III's for my taste.  Damn Romans.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2010, 10:02:08 PM »
What have the Romans ever done for us?  Besides the aqueducts, and the sewage system, and public safety, and...

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »
What have the Romans ever done for us?  Besides the aqueducts, and the sewage system, and public safety, and...

Wine!!!!  (I knew it was all their fault!)

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
Mine's clear.   ;D

That's just plain gorgeous! :hat
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »
Mah Collection:
67.   Rush                     Rush                                                                  1974

All of them First editions except for the Rolling Stones one

Where'd you land a first edition of that?!?!  Isn't that worth like a ridiculous amount of money?

I've got one of those (Rush Moon 100s). The run anywhere from $350 to $700.

There are also Red labels that are likely more rare than the Moon pressings, but not too many people know about those (I've got a few of those too.). Those were the transition Mercury pressings between the Moon and Buildings and Trees label Mercury pressings.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2010, 10:21:58 PM »
Just found a copy of Houses of the Holy.  I am happy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2010, 10:50:50 PM »
Man, you guys would just cry if you saw my vinyl.  Everything by Zeppelin, original covers with all the fold-outs and inserts; I even saved the little stickers they put on the shrink wrap and keep them in the sleeves.  All Queen studio albums.  Every Yes album up through 90125.  The first six Kansas albums, the first 11 Chicago albums, most of The Beatles.

Sorry, had to brag.  What's the point in having a sweet collection if you can't wave it in people's faces once in a while?

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2010, 03:51:50 AM »
Mah Collection:
67.   Rush                     Rush                                                                  1974

All of them First editions except for the Rolling Stones one

Where'd you land a first edition of that?!?!  Isn't that worth like a ridiculous amount of money?

I've got one of those (Rush Moon 100s). The run anywhere from $350 to $700.

There are also Red labels that are likely more rare than the Moon pressings, but not too many people know about those (I've got a few of those too.). Those were the transition Mercury pressings between the Moon and Buildings and Trees label Mercury pressings.
the cool thing was that I found that record on some outdoor market with second hand stuff.
I looked at the thing and was like: AAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHH!!!!!
and then bought it for like 5 bucks.
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2010, 07:23:41 AM »

I know the feeling. I was so happy when i found mine!

Offline thecrowing

• DTF's Resident Child of the Fence
  • Help me Cosmia; I'm grieving!
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »
Just spent food/rent money on Sad Sappy Sucker. I'ma try getting my parents to get The Fruit That Ate Itself.
SO EXCITE.
https://store.glacialpace.com/collections/new

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
Just got my new record player.  My old one had tons of pitch problems, and half the time, the right speaker would drone horribly.  Just a few days ago, it went from half the time to all of the time.  Blasting Escape right now.  Journey gets a bad rap sometimes.  Great band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
Journey is good stuff.  The earlier stuff was more adventurous musically, but I have to admit that the Perry-era stuff was always well-produced and sounds awesome.  A lot of talent in that band, so even if most of it was radio-friendly pop, it was damned good radio-friendly pop.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

I know the feeling. I was so happy when i found mine!
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
Sorry, had to brag.  What's the point in having a sweet collection if you can't wave it in people's faces once in a while?

Good point!

:D :D :D :D :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2010, 09:07:43 PM »
Very nice!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2010, 05:05:17 AM »
I still need to buy a record player, I have several vinyls just sitting round :sadpanda:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2010, 05:15:57 AM »
I grew up with dad's vinyl collection as my main source of music, it has shaped my music taste since day one. I took over them when he passed away, but I don't have a record player to play them on (his was broken during the later years). I have most of them on CD nowadays, but it would be cool to be able to dust them off and play them again - like in the old days. My younger brother has shown interest in getting a record player and start to collect some good old classic albums (60s and 70s), hopefully that can be a hobby we can share together.

My LP collection includes such albums as:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
The Who - Odds & Sods, My Generation
Rolling Stones - Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, some hits collection
Status Quo - Quo, Piledriver, Blue For You, On The Level

And lots of singles/EPs, mainly from The Beatles. That's where my Beatlemania came from.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »
If I can find my 10" red vinyl album for Rush Red Sector A and the picture album of Eddie in a cockpit for Aces High I will.  I think they are still at my parents house.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2010, 05:52:42 PM »
If I can find my 10" red vinyl album for Rush Red Sector A and the picture album of Eddie in a cockpit for Aces High I will.  I think they are still at my parents house.

I've got that Awake album  (and some other Dream Theater vinyl) myself.

There isn't much in the way of Rush vinyl I don't have. But one obvious piece I'm missing is the first single from 1973.

I've got that Red Sector A 10" as well.

I have a ton of Marillion vinyl too.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2010, 03:29:05 PM »
Man, you guys would just cry if you saw my vinyl.  Everything by Zeppelin, original covers with all the fold-outs and inserts; I even saved the little stickers they put on the shrink wrap and keep them in the sleeves.  All Queen studio albums.  Every Yes album up through 90125.  The first six Kansas albums, the first 11 Chicago albums, most of The Beatles.

Sorry, had to brag.  What's the point in having a sweet collection if you can't wave it in people's faces once in a while?

Orbert, I read somewhere that Jimmy Page had the phrase "Do What Thou Wilt" (Aleister Crowley-ism) inscribed into the vinyl (next to the circular label) on the 1st pressing of Led Zeppelin III.   I fished out my old copy (purchased sometime between 1973-75), shone it under a lamp and sure enough, there it was!   :hat
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
Now I have to check, too.  I don't know if it's a first pressing, but it does have the wheel with the cutouts.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »
Man, you guys would just cry if you saw my vinyl.  Everything by Zeppelin, original covers with all the fold-outs and inserts; I even saved the little stickers they put on the shrink wrap and keep them in the sleeves.  All Queen studio albums.  Every Yes album up through 90125.  The first six Kansas albums, the first 11 Chicago albums, most of The Beatles.

Crying right now. I only have their stuff through to Chicago V, excluding the massive live album. I'll continue getting the next albums next week when I can.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2010, 08:04:40 AM »
The massive live album, Chicago at Carnegie Hall was the first record album I ever owned.

In 1975, I was in junior high and it was time to start acquiring my own music.  One of my friends and I were listening to the radio, it was a song by Chicago and I told him I thought they were pretty cool, with the horns and stuff.  He said his sister had bought their live album but didn't like it.  She tried to sell it to him for five dollars, but he didn't have the funds.  I gave him a fiver on the spot and told him to go talk to her for me.  I had a newspaper route that netted me $20 a week.  I don't think any of my friends had jobs yet.

Anyway, I got the original box with all four records and the huge picture book for five bucks.  There were two posters that came in the box too, but those weren't included as they were already on her bedroom walls.  But that was the start of my vinyl collection.  Original Chicago was jazzy, bluesy, and almost prog-like with their extended instrumentals and nonstandard arrangements.  I listened to that album non-stop for weeks.  Then I picked up Chicago V and Chicago VI.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
I just expanded my small collection with The Dear Hunter's albums:

- Transatlantic - SMPTe - Collector's edition bought at the Whirld tour.
- Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever - Collector's edition bought at the Whirld tour.
- Transatlantic - The Whirlwind - Collector's edition bought at the Whirld tour.
- The Dear Hunter - Act I & II
- The Dear Hunter - Act III

Next step: I gotta get me some Pink Floyd.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2010, 03:32:32 AM »
The massive live album, Chicago at Carnegie Hall was the first record album I ever owned.

In 1975, I was in junior high and it was time to start acquiring my own music.  One of my friends and I were listening to the radio, it was a song by Chicago and I told him I thought they were pretty cool, with the horns and stuff.  He said his sister had bought their live album but didn't like it.  She tried to sell it to him for five dollars, but he didn't have the funds.  I gave him a fiver on the spot and told him to go talk to her for me.  I had a newspaper route that netted me $20 a week.  I don't think any of my friends had jobs yet.

Anyway, I got the original box with all four records and the huge picture book for five bucks.  There were two posters that came in the box too, but those weren't included as they were already on her bedroom walls.  But that was the start of my vinyl collection.  Original Chicago was jazzy, bluesy, and almost prog-like with their extended instrumentals and nonstandard arrangements.  I listened to that album non-stop for weeks.  Then I picked up Chicago V and Chicago VI.

Wow!.. Well I'm glad I know a person into Chicago. They made music that sounded like an era, and whenever I put on one of their albums it's like blast to the past. It's just fuckin' cool. :D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2010, 07:32:30 AM »
Yeah, they don't get nearly the respect they do, because most people only know them from their hits with Pete Cetera ("If You Leave Me Now" and "25 or 6 to 4").  As with so many bands, the hits do not even hint at the goodness on the albums.  The first five albums are all incredible, and really, every album with Terry Kath is at least good, though I'll admit things got shaky later as Cetera's star was starting to rise and Lamm had run out of songs.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »
Ordered "Relayer" and "Yesshows" on vinyl. I had been looking for them everywhere but I could never find them. eBay solved that.  :hat

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
Yeah, they don't get nearly the respect they do, because most people only know them from their hits with Pete Cetera ("If You Leave Me Now" and "25 or 6 to 4").  As with so many bands, the hits do not even hint at the goodness on the albums.  The first five albums are all incredible, and really, every album with Terry Kath is at least good, though I'll admit things got shaky later as Cetera's star was starting to rise and Lamm had run out of songs.

Agreed. So I forgot to mention they made some cool albums covers :D like the original logo in the foreground while the background was always interesting. If you lay them all out, it's like a landscape or something lol.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
Guys!  I found a copy of Wish You Were Here today!

I AM SO FUCKING HAPPY RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: and a copy of Aqualung, the disc in better condition than WYWH...for $3.  Spent a total of $10 on amazing music today.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:56:33 PM by skydivingninja »

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
updated list:

All first editions expect for the rolling stones one.

1.   Accept                        Balls To The Wall                                                1983
2.   AC/DC                    Let There Be Rock                                      1977
3.   AC/DC                 Highway To Hell                                               1979
4.   Albert Hammond   The Free Electric Band            1973
5.   Angel Witch           Angel Witch                                                         1980
6.   Anthrax      Penikufesin (EP)               1989
7.   BB. King               BB King in London                                                   1971
8.   Black Sabbath       Black Sabbath                                                         1970
9.   Black Sabbath        Paranoid                                                         1970
10.   Black Sabbath        Master Of Reality                                              1971
11.   Black Sabbath        Heaven And Hell                                                         1980
12.   Black Sabbath       Live Evil                                                                   1982
13.   Bob Dylan             The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan                                   1963
14.   Bob Dylan             Desire                                                                        1975
15.   Bob Seger      Stranger In Town               1978
16.   Bruce Springsteen   Darkness On The Edge Of Town         1978
17.   Bruce Springsteen      Born In The USA                                                     1984
18.   Chuck Berry          Greatest Hits
19.   David Bowie         Ziggy Stardust                                                             1972
20.   Deep Purple           In Rock                                                                       1970
21.   Deep Purple           Machine Head                                                            1972
22.   Deep Purple      Made In Japan                  1972
23.   Dio         Holy Diver                   1983
24.   Dio                         Intermission                                                                 1986
25.   Dire Straits             Dire Straits                                                                 1978
26.   Dire Straits             Making Movies                                                           1980
27.   Dire Straits      Brothers In Arms               1985
28.   Focus         Moving waves               1971
29.   Focus                      Live at the Rainbow                                                  1973
30.   Glen Miller
31.   Glen Miller
32.   Guns ‘N’ Roses     Appetite For Destruction (Original cover) (RARE)   1987
33.   Guns ‘N’ Roses     Lies                                                                            1988
34.   Iron Maiden           Iron Maiden                                                                1980
35.   Iron Maiden           The Number Of The Beast                                          1982
36.   Iron Maiden           Piece Of Mind                                                            1983
37.   Iron Maiden           Powerslave                                                                 1984
38.   Iron Maiden           Live After Death                                                          1985
39.   Iron Maiden      Running Free – Sanctuary (EP)         1990
40.   Janis Joplin            I Got Dem Ol' Kozmic Blues Again Mama!              1969
41.   Janis Joplin            Pearl                                                                            1971
42.   Jeff Beck               Wired                                                                           1976
43.   Joan Baez               Joan Baez/5                                                            1964
44.   Johnny Cash       At San Quentin               1969
45.   Johnny Cash           Best of pt 1
46.   Judas Priest      Stained Class                  1978
47.   Judas Priest            British Steel                                                                1980
48.   Led Zeppelin         Led Zeppelin                                                               1969
49.   Led Zeppelin         Led Zeppelin II                                                         1969
50.   Led Zeppelin      Led Zeppelin IV               1971
51.   Led Zeppelin          Houses Of The Holy                                                  1973
52.   Led Zeppelin         The Song Remains The Same                                   1976
53.   Madness                 One Step Beyond                                                       1979
54.   Megadeth      So Far, So Good…, So What!         1988
55.   Metallica                Garage Days Re-Revisited                                        1986
56.   Motorhead             Motorhead             (RARE)                                       1977
57.   Motorhead             Overkill                                                                      1979
58.   Motorhead             Bomber                                                                       1979
59.   Motorhead             The Watcher         (RARE)                                         1980         
60.   Motorhead             Golden Years EP  (RARE)                                     1980
61.   Motorhead             Another Perfect Day                                                   1983
62.   Motorhead             Rock ‘n’ Roll                                                               1987
63.   Patti Smith             Horses                                                                       1975
64.   Paul Simon           Graceland                                                                    1986
65.   Pink Floyd      Wish You Were Here               1975
66.   Pink Floyd      Animals                  1977
67.   Pink Floyd            The Wall                                                                    1979
68.   Queen          Sheer Heart Attack               1974
69.   Rainbow                Rising                                                                         1976
70.   Rainbow                Long live Rock 'n Roll                                               1978
71.   Rolling stones       Sticky Fingers                                                              1971
72.   Rush                     Rush                                                                             1974
73.   Rush         2112                     1976
74.   Rush                     All the Worlds A Stage                                               1976
75.   Rush                     A Farewell To Kings                                                  1977
76.   Rush                     Hemispheres                                                               1978
77.   Rush         Moving Pictures               1981
78.   Saxon                    Strong Arm Of The Law                                             1980
79.   Saxon                    Denim And Leather                                                    1981
80.   Saxon                    The Eagle Has Landed                                              1982
81.   Saxon                    Crusader                                                                   1984
82.   Slayer                    Show No Mercy                                                        1983
83.   Slayer                    Hell Awaits                                                                1985
84.   Ten Years After    Recorded Live                                                          1973
85.   Thin Lizzy            Live And Dangerous                                                 1978
86.   Venom                  Eine Kleine Nachtmusik                                             1986