Author Topic: Insomnium  (Read 16199 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Insomnium
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2022, 08:49:08 AM »
Nothing better than to drive to work in a snowy landscape listening to Insomnium.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »
Been listening alot to Winter's Gate. Man that's such an emotional album with the story and everything and also the sonic quality is superb. A part that sticks out is 3.27 in Pt.5 or I think 28.27 or something on the album version. That first chord riff is sooo beefy on the mix that my speaks and headphones cracks, I wonder if anyone else hears that? In a way it might be a mixing issue but I love it. Sounds so meaty.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2023, 09:12:04 PM »
Same feeling, White Christ has a poor melody with a few small highlights.. That sucks because not too long ago I was praising about how Insomnium never fails to deliver great music. Well this one is their first song in their entire discography with a poor melody IMO.

Anyway, I’m not familiar with the band Rotten Christ but hopefully it’s just the presence of their singer that changes the mood from what Insomnium usually does.

I still hope that the next album will reach their standard. I love the way they were heading to with Heart like a grave and Argent Moon. Plus many of my other favorite bands deceived me with their last releases (DT, PT, Pineapple Thief, PoS) so I’m counting on them not to do the same…
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2023, 03:50:03 PM »
I love how they end the album with the most intense song, part 7 is just full on assualt which makes the calm part at the end so captivating.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
Lots of new music today!

The Witch Hunter

EDIT: Back to the usual quality, with some nice changing time signatures towards the end!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 02:27:36 PM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2023, 04:07:37 AM »
Lots of new music today!

The Witch Hunter

EDIT: Back to the usual quality, with some nice changing time signatures towards the end!

I really liked this one a lot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2023, 08:14:59 PM »
Same! Got to listen to it more but my first feeling is great. I feel this one will be my fav from the three first released with Lilian as #2

After some more listen of White Christ, I realized that what annoys me the most in this song is the guest singer. For the rest, the song has its moments although it’s a bit  under average for the band considering their usual quality. I guess that’s still a good sign for the album…

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2023, 03:22:12 AM »
I've only listened to each song once.  No plans to listen again until the album.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
Two listens in for the new album, and it's a big yes for me so far. All of the great, epic gloominess we've come to the expect from Insomnium, but it feels like there are some subtle new elements that make the record fresh and exciting. The harsh vocals seem even more "desperate" than the usual, especially on tracks like 1696 and Godforsaken (quite a journey, this one!)

I hadn't listened to the singles to keep this more of a discovery...but I'm reading here some reactions to White Christ that were not very excited. I don't know, but I absolutely LOVE the song. It's almost like a death "march"...so melancholic, heavy and powerful at the same time.

Anyway, let's see how this goes, but for now I'm liking Anno 1696 a ton  :metal

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2023, 04:20:57 PM »
Overall this is probably the most aggressive Insomnium album to date, and I'm not really used to it from them in this quantity so I'd call it to have clear grower potential. The highs of this album are indeed high, Godforsaken is an instant classic.

Speaking of Godforsaken, an interesting detail is that the guest vocalist Johanna Kurkela titled one of her albums after the Finnish novel Sudenmorsian, which Sevänen also describes as the spiritual predecessor to the story behind Anno 1696.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2023, 05:47:54 AM »
Amazing album.

I also changed my mind about White Christ. It’s a great song (still not a fan of the guest singer though) It’s just very different from the classical Insomnium style. Anyway, most of the album is. It really stands out of their whole discography. Since I love so much Insomnium style, it was hard for me at first but now I realize that it makes the album so much more exciting/original. It’s way more varied then the other albums they have. I’m still not sure how I rank this album in their entire discography, need to listen to it more even though I’m probably at 7-8 listens. Few other comments though:

- Godfosaken is a gorgeous track. I only wish they would use more the femal vocals with actual lyrics (she only has a few real lines at the end). I love the way her vocals contract with the main singer. The ending part where they sing together is beautiful and haunting.

- it’s amazing to see how, even though it’s a concept album, each individual song really stand out in a positive way. I feel like I’ve had more than half of the songs stuck in my head at a moment or another and I feel like the other half just need a few more listens before they do the same thing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2023, 02:37:35 PM »
Have had one listen to the CD in the car and no disappointments here.  A lot to unfold on future listens though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2023, 04:37:58 PM »
Can't stop listening to Anno 1696, this band has everything. So much emotions cramed into one album it's haunting, aggressive, beautiful, atmospheric, sad and powerful.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2023, 04:46:29 AM »
Can't stop listening to Anno 1696, this band has everything. So much emotions cramed into one album it's haunting, aggressive, beautiful, atmospheric, sad and powerful.

I've only had a few spins but not wanting to overplay.  I'm going to revisit it tomorrow though.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »
Agreed!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2023, 03:59:18 PM »
So.....umm......this album is fucking incredible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2023, 04:00:30 PM »

I'll try and hit it tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deathless

« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2023, 08:25:41 AM »

I listed to it when it came out, and enjoyed it but wasn't blown away. Then I sat down again and really listened to it instead of letting it be background noise.

You are absolutely right. It's incredible. These guys just have an impressive sense of song-writing, textures, dynamics... all of it. Really good guitar work too in so many places.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
It certainly is a massive grower.  My thoughts compared to my first listen to now are totally different.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2023, 07:38:43 PM »

Really nice album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2023, 04:29:41 AM »

Really nice album.

Wait til you get a few more in and it grows.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2023, 07:40:30 PM »
Indeed it’s an awesome piece of art. Anyway, after a few weeks into the album I can safely say that it doesn’t beat Heart Like a Grave (their best) for me though. I’m still not able to rank their discography yet though. The quality  level is sooo high on all albums. All I can say for now is that HLAG remains my fav.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2023, 07:45:15 PM »
Heart is my fav too.  :tup

There's also a 2CD version of Anno with a few bonus tracks.  I'll have to get onto those.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2023, 07:48:23 PM »
 :tup

Didn’t know, should check it out as well:)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2023, 07:12:17 AM »
Went to the Insomnium/Enslaved show last night.

Unfortunately, Insomnium had just overall poor quality sound- really only heard the vocals and snare. No power that’s required for this type of show- so it took a little bit for the band (and the crowd) to warm up. Despite being a co-headlining tour- Enslaved definitely had the professional live sound going for them.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2023, 08:29:19 AM »
Yea it's annoying that often times the support band dosen't get access to all the speakers that the headliners use.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2023, 03:11:27 PM »
Things I love: When Insomnium unexpectedly release an almost 10 minutes song

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2023, 03:58:56 PM »
It's an excellent tune.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2023, 04:00:10 PM »
Yeah, that's from the bonus EP that is tagged with some editions of the new album.  The three songs are a little bit different but are really nice.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2023, 09:40:47 AM »
Yeah, that's from the bonus EP that is tagged with some editions of the new album.  The three songs are a little bit different but are really nice.

I didn't think much of the new album at all, but I will say that Stained in Red and Song of the Dusk from the new EP, are excellent.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2024, 03:14:49 AM »
Jani Liimatainen is no longer in the band. This is also not the first time he's suddenly gone no contact, it apparently happened with Sonata Arctica too.

Many of you have been asking where Jani Liimatainen is and why there has been no update about his status in the band. The answer is weirdly simple: For a long time we didn’t know where he was and we could not reach him by any means.

The reason why we did not address this situation publicly was that we hadn’t given up hope yet. Obviously, Jani has been a close friend and much-valued member of this band for years. We wanted to allow him to either solve the situation or at least provide a statement to his fans.

Sadly it is now evident that Jani and the rest of Insomnium have different priorities. We have hence agreed to go separate ways and Insomnium will continue as a 4-piece unit from here on.

This will not affect any of the forthcoming live shows: Ville Friman will be joining for the Finnish shows, Brandon Ellis (The Black Dahlia Murder) and Nick Cordle (Omnium Gatherum) have agreed to fill in the second guitar during the forthcoming North American tour.

We wish Jani all the best in the future and want to thank him for the past years spent with Insomnium.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2024, 03:55:19 AM »
That's crazy.  Didn't realise he did that with Sonata also.