Author Topic: Time for a drink. Who's in?  (Read 253032 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Time for a drink. Who's in?
« Reply #3780 on: October 19, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
Tito for Toto. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3781 on: October 19, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
Meet you all the way!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3782 on: October 19, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3783 on: October 23, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »
IN.  Red bull in vodka as the snow comes down in Denver, doing some last minute work in my hotel room before I head out for the Sabaton/Hammerfall show here

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3784 on: October 23, 2019, 06:20:11 PM »
IN.  Red bull in vodka as the snow comes down in Denver, doing some last minute work in my hotel room before I head out for the Sabaton/Hammerfall show here

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3785 on: October 23, 2019, 06:25:43 PM »
 :lol to add to the winning, I had a pizza delivered to my room on behalf of the company  :yarr Saving that for after the concert though

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3786 on: October 27, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »
I appreciate that the time it takes me to make a plate of eggs and toast is also the time it makes for a nice coffee beer to warm up from the fridge to proper serving temperature. Currently sipping on Absolution, a coffee porter from Tree House that Joe hooked me up with when he was in town for ProgStock.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3787 on: November 01, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Felt like a really long week, probably just because it was very average but busy work week.  Stay late tonight since it was quiet and I got a head start on my next project.  But now that I am home, just poured myself a glass of titos and club.  Cheers  :yarr

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: November 01, 2019, 06:19:39 PM »
Cheers cram, I'm about to pour a crown and coke myself

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3789 on: November 01, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
Bulleit bourbon on the rocks, cheers guys  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3790 on: November 02, 2019, 03:57:29 PM »
Back in with the same cocktail from last night but this time in a bottle on the train heading to the Sabaton show in NYC  :yarr

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3791 on: November 02, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »
I've been sipping on homebrewed English mild all afternoon while I brewed and got some cleaning done.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3792 on: November 17, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »
In. Caramel Vodka and Coke. The Vodka is cheap and is left over from a recipe my wife was using so I decided to try it out, it's actually not that bad :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3793 on: November 22, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »
In. Rye and coke tonight

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3794 on: December 09, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »

Just picked up this Johnnie walker variety pack and its pretty awesome

I drank Jack for most of my years, but I want to branch out more. This is the first time I've ever had Blue Label and hot damn is that some smooth shit. Like silky smooth  ;D

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3795 on: December 09, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »
Damn that's a cool pack. I need to see if I can find it around here. I love Bkue Label. To me it was totally worth the hype.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3796 on: December 13, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
In.

A must buy.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3797 on: December 13, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
In about 5 minutes, going to have some bourbon.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3798 on: December 28, 2019, 05:31:24 PM »
Alright, single malt folks... If you had to have four to keep on hand, what would you choose?

I always keep four on hand, and currently have Lagavulan 16, Caol Ila 12, Macallan 12 (double cask) and Macallan 15.  The Caol Ila is about kicked, do trying to decide what should take it's place. Not going to directly replace it, as the Lagavulan covers the same ground, only better, and I can get it for ~$67 now. So, anyway, I'm looking for ideas.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3799 on: December 28, 2019, 06:07:57 PM »
Don't ask me what I had to do to get this from Chad.

photo upload

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3800 on: December 28, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »
Don't ask me what I had to do to get this from Chad.

I hope it didn't have anything to do with those Kleenex.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3801 on: December 28, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
Those were for the clean up.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3802 on: December 29, 2019, 06:21:57 AM »
Alright, single malt folks... If you had to have four to keep on hand, what would you choose?

I always keep four on hand, and currently have Lagavulan 16, Caol Ila 12, Macallan 12 (double cask) and Macallan 15.  The Caol Ila is about kicked, do trying to decide what should take it's place. Not going to directly replace it, as the Lagavulan covers the same ground, only better, and I can get it for ~$67 now. So, anyway, I'm looking for ideas.

My stock single malts are usually Lagavulin 16, Bowmore 12 (or Laphroaig 10), Highland Park 12, and Glenmorangie Lasanta. I find that gives me a great range of Scotch's from challenging to easy drinking.

I've never cared much for the Speyside single malts. I don't understand the devotion to Macallan...it seems pretty lifeless and expensive to me. Especially the Macallan 15 triple cask ($125.00 in my neck of the woods) and some of the Glenfiddich expressions are ridiculously priced for the flavor. That being said, I sometimes buy Glenlivet 12 (when it's on sale) in the summer and I'm feeling like a scotch and soda.

For blended, I like to buy Johnnie Walker Gold when it's available here. I think it tastes every bit as good as the JW Blue, but about 1/5th the price.

I've been trying to up my game for non-scotch whiskeys lately. Bought a Kamiki Cedar Cask Japanese whisky, and Redbreast 12 Irish to add to my top shelf. I'm looking for an interesting and flavorful Canadian whiskey. Any recommendations from you folks would be appreciated.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3803 on: December 30, 2019, 07:49:48 AM »

My stock single malts are usually Lagavulin 16, Bowmore 12 (or Laphroaig 10), Highland Park 12, and Glenmorangie Lasanta. I find that gives me a great range of Scotch's from challenging to easy drinking.

I've never cared much for the Speyside single malts. I don't understand the devotion to Macallan...it seems pretty lifeless and expensive to me. Especially the Macallan 15 triple cask ($125.00 in my neck of the woods) and some of the Glenfiddich expressions are ridiculously priced for the flavor. That being said, I sometimes buy Glenlivet 12 (when it's on sale) in the summer and I'm feeling like a scotch and soda.

For blended, I like to buy Johnnie Walker Gold when it's available here. I think it tastes every bit as good as the JW Blue, but about 1/5th the price.

I've been trying to up my game for non-scotch whiskeys lately. Bought a Kamiki Cedar Cask Japanese whisky, and Redbreast 12 Irish to add to my top shelf. I'm looking for an interesting and flavorful Canadian whiskey. Any recommendations from you folks would be appreciated.

I've got a Laphroaig 10 tucked away, but my wife won't kiss me after I drink it (and it will even drive her from the room!)...and the iodine in that is strong enough that I have to be in the exact right frame of mind for it anyway.  That said, I used a splash of it on the gravlax that I have curing for New Year's morning, it makes for probably the best gravlax I've ever had.

The Macallan 15 is pleasant enough, but probably not one I will buy again (it was a self-congratulations gift for a major milestone at work).  The Macallan 12 (the double cask, rather than the one that is sherry barreled throughout) is fine for the price (~$54, typically), and makes a good "I just want a splash of something" scotch.

The Lagavulin 16 will be a fixture.  I had a bottle of the Lasanta when I was first exploring scotch, but it didn't make much of an impression on me. I'll check out the Highland Park 12.

I had a bottle of the Redbreast 12 3-4 years ago, it was good, though I didn't feel compelled to get another.  I got one of the Maker's Mark bottles from one of their small runs last year (~$75), it's pretty spicy.  It's not my go-to, I got it more for my wife so she could have something higher-end while I was having scotch (she far prefers bourbon).

Canadian whiskey is a complete blind spot for me as well...
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3804 on: December 30, 2019, 08:25:02 AM »
I got one of the Maker's Mark bottles from one of their small runs last year (~$75), it's pretty spicy.  It's not my go-to, I got it more for my wife so she could have something higher-end while I was having scotch (she far prefers bourbon).

Yeah, my wife will occasionally smell the Scotch I drink and take a tiny sip, but since I generally drink it neat, she complains about the strength of it. Her comfort zone is Angel's Envy bourbon with three ice cubes, a orange twist, and a splash of club soda.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3805 on: December 30, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
I got one of the Maker's Mark bottles from one of their small runs last year (~$75), it's pretty spicy.  It's not my go-to, I got it more for my wife so she could have something higher-end while I was having scotch (she far prefers bourbon).

Yeah, my wife will occasionally smell the Scotch I drink and take a tiny sip, but since I generally drink it neat, she complains about the strength of it. Her comfort zone is Angel's Envy bourbon with three ice cubes, a orange twist, and a splash of club soda.

My wife has upped her game over the last couple of years...she will often sip on Buffalo Trace (when we can find it!) or Knob Creek, neat. And even for cocktails, we go pretty stiff...manhattans (and variations thereof), boulevardiers, negronis and martinis.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3806 on: December 30, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
It's nice having a whiskey drinking woman, isn't it. *Cue Nazareth

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3807 on: December 31, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »

Well-played.

Just grabbed a Highland Park 12 to replace the Caol Ila. I'm holding you personally responsible if I don't like it :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3808 on: December 31, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »

Well-played.

Just grabbed a Highland Park 12 to replace the Caol Ila. I'm holding you personally responsible if I don't like it :biggrin:

Fair enough. Let me know if you do, though.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3809 on: December 31, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »

Well-played.

I dig it. From some descriptions I saw, I was expecting a little bit of peat, but I can't find it. Still good, and good to have the diversity in there shelf,  just a little different from what I was expecting.

I just put together that Islay scotches are so in brown/green bottles because the phenols are photosensitive. I'm probably a little late to the party on that one.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3810 on: December 31, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »

Well-played.

I dig it. From some descriptions I saw, I was expecting a little bit of peat, but I can't find it. Still good, and good to have the diversity in there shelf,  just a little different from what I was expecting.

I just put together that Islay scotches are so in brown/green bottles because the phenols are photosensitive. I'm probably a little late to the party on that one.

Compared to Caol Ila, yeah, not so much. I've never noticed a peat note to HP12, but there definitely is a smoky note in the nose and finish...more like a...campfire(?). Still, I find it has a lot of interesting flavors to chase, but none of the more challenging notes like the Islay scotches.

I'd never heard of the photosensitive nature of Islay scotches. I'm pretty sure Bowmore is in a clear bottle, maybe others?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3811 on: December 31, 2019, 07:14:27 PM »
Happy New Year drink thread...I tip my iced tea to you all  :heart

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3812 on: December 31, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
Checking in with a can of the Stone/Metallica collab pilsner. It's solid.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3813 on: December 31, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
Vodka and Fresca.    My new "go to"....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3814 on: January 01, 2020, 05:40:55 AM »
Vodka and Fresca.    My new "go to"....

Vodka or Gin and Fresca pairs very well. I discovered, that if it becomes too sweet for your tastes (as it did for mine), then you can still use Fresca, but thin it down with sugar free tonic water or just some club soda. Not nearly as sweet and still has that Fresca flavor.