Author Topic: Time for a drink. Who's in?  (Read 256439 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Time for a drink. Who's in?
« Reply #945 on: January 30, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »
Ahh, I need to get some fresh cherries. I've got jarred cherries in BT right now. Also, I can't stand tomato juice. That said my dad is a fan of redeyes. Tomato juice and beer.  NOT V8, but tomato juice.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #946 on: January 30, 2016, 08:57:34 PM »
The Mexicans I worked with made something similar, except besides the tomato juice and beer, they added hot sauce, salt, lime, and some kind of chili powder. It tasted pretty damn good.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #947 on: January 30, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »
Sounds similar to a michelada.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #948 on: January 30, 2016, 09:32:37 PM »
That seems to be exactly what it is, maybe with a couple of minor differences. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #949 on: January 31, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »
I like the vibe in here, may have to hang out for a while  :yarr

I've been in since late afternoon, disposing of red wine at my uncle's 50th birthday party. Home now and sipping on Alter Ego from Tree House, one of the best breweries in the country when it comes to IPAs.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #950 on: January 31, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
In. Ice Wine Martini.   Yum yum

Headache ought to ensue in about 8 hours.  :D
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #951 on: January 31, 2016, 08:06:20 PM »
In, split a bottle of chardonnay with/after dinner with the missus, now experimenting by trying a Kentucky Cowhand (1.5 oz bourbon, 1.5 oz SoCo, 1/4 oz half and half).

Dropped $170 at the liquor store this afternoon...and the still didn't have the fucking Xocoveza!!!  King, I may have to ask you to violate some interstate shipping laws :)

EDIT:  The drink is a little....sorority-girl-esque...

Second edit:  I sliced my finger on the foil when opening the new bottle of BT, so I'm now compelled to show it who's boss.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 08:28:14 PM by millahh »
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #952 on: January 31, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
Still hung over from yesterday's listening of The Astonishing. Didn't drink at all today and stopped last night around 10 or 11. Ugh.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #953 on: February 01, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
In, with Brugse Zot, A nice blond beer from belgian  :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #954 on: February 01, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
Opened a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from the French Loire region yesterday, finishing it today. Normally not really fond of white wine in winter, but it's nice for a change.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #955 on: February 01, 2016, 02:19:07 PM »
Just finished a Bishops Finger, about to move on to a Birra Moretti :)

Offline home

« Reply #956 on: February 01, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
Hey has anyone tried The Trooper beer? I wonder if it's worth ordering

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #957 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:01 PM »
I never thought it was that great. Nothing special, nothing too interesting. It's a decent beer, but I was underwhelmed.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: February 01, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »

It was good, but it's very basic.  I don't think they tried to do anything to give it a distinct flavor, but something that has mass appeal, at least that is my opinion since it was good, but not something that stood out.  More of a novelty.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #959 on: February 01, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »

It was good, but it's very basic.  I don't think they tried to do anything to give it a distinct flavor, but something that has mass appeal, at least that is my opinion since it was good, but not something that stood out.  More of a novelty.

That's about the same as my experience with it.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #960 on: February 01, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »
In.  Unearthed.   Longtrail Stout. 

I will be posting a homebrew a little later.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: February 01, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »
In.  Callacave Brewing.  Memory Eraser.  A Barleywine made with organic Vermont maple syrup and aged with a maple honeycomb aged a year.  Damn it's good.  I will save 2 to age them 2 years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #962 on: February 01, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
In, Jameson.  Nothing like drinking while writing stuff that's going to FDA.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: February 01, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
In.

millahh's perfect Manhattan recipe with High West Rendezvous Rye as a substitute for Woodford.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #964 on: February 01, 2016, 06:55:09 PM »
In.

millahh's perfect Manhattan recipe with High West Rendezvous Rye as a substitute for Woodford.

Excellent!  thoughts?

In, Hoegaarden alongside an absolutely bitchin' home-made oyster po 'boy.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: February 01, 2016, 07:02:29 PM »
Rye is a little...coarse(?) for this recipe, me thinks. It lacks the character of a good bourbon so maybe the concoction that includes a full ounce of sweet vermouth would be better. That being said, I mostly prefer dry cocktails so I'd be more inclined to use this same formula but with Angel's Envy bourbon (I don't have Buffalo Trace or Woodford in the house at the moment).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #966 on: February 01, 2016, 07:14:56 PM »
Rye is a little...coarse(?) for this recipe, me thinks. It lacks the character of a good bourbon so maybe the concoction that includes a full ounce of sweet vermouth would be better. That being said, I mostly prefer dry cocktails so I'd be more inclined to use this same formula but with Angel's Envy bourbon (I don't have Buffalo Trace or Woodford in the house at the moment).

Yeah, I'd image rye plus the dry vermouth might a little like sandpaper.  The dry vermouth balances the bourbon sweetness nicely...as does the full oz sweet vermouth with the rye.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #967 on: February 01, 2016, 07:53:05 PM »

Same. It's also not a style that's going to fare well with international transportation.

In.  Callacave Brewing.  Memory Eraser.  A Barleywine made with organic Vermont maple syrup and aged with a maple honeycomb aged a year.  Damn it's good.  I will save 2 to age them 2 years.

We really need to get a homebrew exchange going at some point.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: February 01, 2016, 08:00:24 PM »
Bill, I know my bro is dying to have a collaborative beer.  He's really the mad scientist and we'd love to get you up to NH.

Offline home

« Reply #969 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:21 AM »

Same. It's also not a style that's going to fare well with international transportation.

Thanks for your replies, I was expecting something. I'll try it if I come across it sometime but won't bother with ordering it then.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: February 02, 2016, 05:35:26 AM »

Yeah, I'd image rye plus the dry vermouth might a little like sandpaper.  The dry vermouth balances the bourbon sweetness nicely...as does the full oz sweet vermouth with the rye.

The Angel's Envy worked out just fine!! It seems a shame not to drink that stuff neat, but hey, it's all in the interest of science. Right?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #971 on: February 02, 2016, 08:36:51 AM »
Bill, I know my bro is dying to have a collaborative beer.  He's really the mad scientist and we'd love to get you up to NH.

Yeah, if I had vehicular transportation I'd definitely take you up on that. You and the Mrs should come down to New York and visit a real city (sorry Boston), I'm not far  :biggrin:

The Angel's Envy worked out just fine!! It seems a shame not to drink that stuff neat, but hey, it's all in the interest of science. Right?

Is the Angel's Envy bourbon good? I *love* the rye, but I've heard some less than great things from friends about the bourbon.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »
To hell with the Mrs.  My brother and I!  lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: February 02, 2016, 09:25:55 AM »
Is the Angel's Envy bourbon good? I *love* the rye, but I've heard some less than great things from friends about the bourbon.

I think it's some of the best bourbon out there...especially if you can get your hands on some of the cask strength stuff. Mmmmmmm.

But I suppose it depends on what you want from your bourbon. It's light on the smoky notes but very complex with a bunch of other flavors on the finish. It's less sweet than Buffalo Trace or Makers Mark. :dunno: Your result may vary.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: February 02, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
In. millahh's perfect Manhattan recipe this time with a proper measure of Maker's 46. Mmmmm, strong & smooth, with an initial bite (that is closer to a playful nibble) and a caramel apple finish. The lemon is a nice twist, millahh.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #975 on: February 02, 2016, 06:35:28 PM »
In. millahh's perfect Manhattan recipe this time with a proper measure of Maker's 46. Mmmmm, strong & smooth, with an initial bite (that is closer to a playful nibble) and a caramel apple finish. The lemon is a nice twist, millahh.

Glad to be of assistance!

In, third fourth glass of chardonnay from dinner.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:05:25 PM by millahh »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #976 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »
In.

Howling Moon Moonshine Whiskey.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: February 03, 2016, 06:21:48 PM »
In. Jameson Caskmates, Stout Edition. Neat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: February 03, 2016, 06:23:42 PM »
In.  Typical goose and club.

Fucking dominated work today, the feeling of accomplishment makes me want to celebrate.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: February 03, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »
In. Jameson Caskmates, Stout Edition. Neat.

Sony of a bitch!  I need to get this. How is it?!