Author Topic: Time for a drink. Who's in?  (Read 256011 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Re: Time for a drink. Who's in?
« Reply #1155 on: February 19, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »
At the moment, just some water, but tonight, if I can stop coughing from this stupid chest cold, I might pour myself a dram of The Macallan 15-Year Fine Oak.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1156 on: February 19, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »
In, Bulliet bourbon on the rocks.

Forgot to mention last night's three martinis...

Also, welcome to Club Cirrhosis, Andrew!

Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »
Must remember to turn off avatars.

One more hour of drudgery and then I'm joining y'all. I think I'll go with Buffalo Trace on the rocks.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1158 on: February 19, 2016, 05:10:35 PM »
Thanks, Matt. I'm a long-term member, never poster. Hah.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1159 on: February 19, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »
Good to see you back, Andrew.

Troeg's Perpetual IPA. Some Maker's Mark is coming up soon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1160 on: February 19, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »
Guys. Bringing Chinese food for my weekend night shift at 8pm then craft beer and will be calling me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1161 on: February 19, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
Thanks, Coz. I missed this place.

Kids in bed, Fine Oak poured.
Speaking of nothing in particular, I need to restock my Glenmorangie 10 and my Fine Oak. Dangerously low for my preference.

Anyone had Jameson's Caskmates? A neighbor poured some and it almost didn't taste like whisky...it wasn't strong at all, but still tasty.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: February 19, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »
I've been having it on the Rocks and mixed with Longtrail Double Bag.   It's fantastic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1163 on: February 19, 2016, 06:11:26 PM »
Yeah agree, it's delicious, though I don't know if I'd choose the flavor when I'm really wanting pure whisky. But it's almost candy-like. Rally good. I've had it on the rocks.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1164 on: February 19, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »
In, and aggravated. Went to a bar after work for some Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Decided to stay for a second glass and take an Uber home instead of the train. It's normally a $20 ride that takes half an hour, and even with the surge charge that was active it should have been maybe $40. Turns out the driver got lost (or was trying to fuck me over) and the trip took an hour and I was charged $80.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: February 19, 2016, 07:16:40 PM »
And the KBS isn't cheap either.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1166 on: February 19, 2016, 07:18:10 PM »
And the KBS isn't cheap either.

Nope. Wasn't too bad for this area, $6 for 6oz.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: February 19, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »
Wow, that is a good price.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: February 19, 2016, 08:01:16 PM »
In.

Sixpoint C.R.E.A.M.

A cream ale brewed with coffee.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1169 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:54 PM »

Speaking of nothing in particular, I need to restock my Glenmorangie 10 and my Fine Oak. Dangerously low for my preference.

Anyone had Jameson's Caskmates? A neighbor poured some and it almost didn't taste like whisky...it wasn't strong at all, but still tasty.

I got the Glenmorangie 10 (port finish) recently, and have been quite enjoying it.  As for the Macallen, I've got a 10, and I'm not completely sure I see the appeal...a bit astringent without a ton of personality.  How's the 15 compare?  Also, much to Podaar's dismay, I'm also enjoying a Laphroaig 10...the smell of which will clear the wife from the room.

In, half a bottle of chianti and two martinis.  It's been a rough week...
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1170 on: February 19, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
Finishing up a bottle of Trillium's double Dry Hopped Scaled IPA, which is quite tasty. Calling it a night after this, as I'll be up and it it early tomorrow.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1171 on: February 20, 2016, 12:27:49 AM »
I'll admit I've never had the Macallan 10...I love the 12-year, it's an awesome standby, with a little more complexity than, say, Glenlivet 12. The 15 Fine Oak, however, is on another level. Equal parts smooth and complex, rich and subtley deep. To each his own but it's currently my absolute favorite.

I'm not a fan of smoky Islay malts, so Laphroaig isn't a favorite, though I will not discount its merits. If you like that, try Talisker 10. I describe it using one word: volcanic. It tastes like it was filtered through obsidian.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1172 on: February 20, 2016, 12:36:18 AM »
I'm not drinking tonight, but I am feeling good from something else. 

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1173 on: February 20, 2016, 01:08:20 AM »
Celebrating not having to work tomorrow with a few Heinekens.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1174 on: February 20, 2016, 01:12:09 AM »
Heinekens are always a good choice.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #1175 on: February 20, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
I'll admit I've never had the Macallan 10...I love the 12-year, it's an awesome standby, with a little more complexity than, say, Glenlivet 12. The 15 Fine Oak, however, is on another level. Equal parts smooth and complex, rich and subtley deep. To each his own but it's currently my absolute favorite.

I'm not a fan of smoky Islay malts, so Laphroaig isn't a favorite, though I will not discount its merits. If you like that, try Talisker 10. I describe it using one word: volcanic. It tastes like it was filtered through obsidian.

Hmmm...I'm intrigued by both.

So, let's talk Rye.  Bulliet is our house pour for rye....but it's also the only one I've had, I just happened to really like it straightaway.  However, now that I've tried Bulliet's bourbon, it has some of that same rough/spicy character, which is leading me to wonder if the character of their rye is more about the rye itself, or is more a function of it being Bulliet.  Anyone have any comments, or suggestions for where I could branch out?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1176 on: February 20, 2016, 07:56:23 AM »
Rye is one of the whiskies with which I'm not very experienced. As far as bourbons, I'm afraid I'm as much a snob with them as I am with Scotch. I prefer small batch; Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Basil Hayden's, Booker's, etc. I've always wanted to try a little more rye, but every time I'm presented with an opportunity I tend to choose one of the others I love. Heh.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1177 on: February 20, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
Rye in beers give that same spices notes. It's a unique taste that some don't like but I love.  Not all rye are the same so do your homework.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1178 on: February 20, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »
I'm knee deep in it guys. At a bar having a Hill Farmstead event for NYC beer week. There was a two hour bottle share at the bar before they opened. I've had at least a dozen HF beers, plus a couple randoms from other breweries. I also have fried chicken and sausage gravy and biscuits. Today is a good day.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: February 20, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
I hate you.  Lol

Next Saturday it's Parker Pie and a trip to HF.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1180 on: February 20, 2016, 11:53:19 AM »
My shirt today is appropriate...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: February 20, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Heinekens are always a good choice.

Agreed, my favorite beer actually.  Love it especially when in Amsterdam.

Nice shirt Hyperplex

And I'm in.  Red bull and vodka, getting ready for the Nightwish/Delain concert tonight.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1182 on: February 20, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »
In.

Tributary/Stoneface Collaboration a Rye porter.   And then Garrison City,  Illusion.  An Ipa to die for.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1183 on: February 20, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »

I got the Glenmorangie 10 (port finish) recently, and have been quite enjoying it.  As for the Macallen, I've got a 10, and I'm not completely sure I see the appeal...a bit astringent without a ton of personality.  How's the 15 compare?  Also, much to Podaar's dismay, I'm also enjoying a Laphroaig 10...the smell of which will clear the wife from the room.

In, half a bottle of chianti and two martinis.  It's been a rough week...

I love Macallen, but I never really buy a bottle. I'd love to try the older ones too, I've had a 12 in the past.

Anyway, I'm having an Aultmore 12 right now. A really tasty whiskey if you like non-smokey flavors. It's almost fruity even.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1184 on: February 20, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
I'll write Aultmore down to try. Sounds tasty.
Having some Oban 14 now. About as smoky as I like, thick and rich.

Might pour a little Glenfiddich 15 or 18 later. My wife got me a variety sampler for Christmas that I haven't broken open yet. 'Fiddich is another one of my favorites.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: February 20, 2016, 06:06:43 PM »
Unskinny Hop.  My brother's new IPA be we don't galaxy hops and made with a yeast called brettois.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: February 20, 2016, 08:27:45 PM »
A.M. Dusk. My brother's coffee stout made with Ethiopian mocha sidama coffee beans.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1187 on: February 20, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »
Unskinny Hop.  My brother's new IPA be we don't galaxy hops and made with a yeast called brettois.

Unskinny Hop? Is that made with cheese?  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: February 20, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
It's yeast is a different strand like a "bret"  get it?  Lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1189 on: February 20, 2016, 09:08:42 PM »
I got it.   :lol   Does it taste like Bret?