Author Topic: A very good friend just made a big score.  (Read 1402 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
A very good friend just made a big score.
« on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:53 PM »
My friend, Rob Georato just won at a poker event banking $153,505.  The man can play poker.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: A very good friend just made a big score.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 09:52:54 PM »
A teacher of mine won 185k in 2013. That was pretty cool.

ninja edit: It was from coming in 40th at the WSOP, not for winning a huge event.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »
^^ Winning $185k at the WSOP main event is still pretty good for like 5-6 days of playing long sessions of poker.

Anywho, cool for your friend, kingshmegland.  Just make sure that your friend reported the buy-in as an itemized deduction to slowly soften the blow of the taxes he's going to pay off of that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:27:42 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:52:11 AM »
He was a college professor who figured out he could make a living out of poker. He's played the WSOP and his best showing was 138th.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 05:07:47 AM »
He was a college professor who figured out he could make a living out of poker. He's played the WSOP and his best showing was 138th.

Speaking of changing careers. I'm reading a book about a Wall Street broker who quit that life to become a professional baseball gambler.

https://www.amazon.com/Trading-Bases-Fortune-Betting-Baseball/dp/0451415175

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »
^^ Winning $185k at the WSOP main event is still pretty good for like 5-6 days of playing long sessions of poker.

Anywho, cool for your friend, kingshmegland.  Just make sure that your friend reported the buy-in as an itemized deduction to slowly soften the blow of the taxes he's going to pay off of that.

Assuming Tax is 20% ?

153,505 - 20% = 122,804.

:getoffmylawn:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:22 AM »
I think 'they' should ban sunglasses from poker events. It makes something that's already quite boring to watch even more boring.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 06:33:42 AM »
One of my dad's friends won $900K last year on a superbowl square. $10k per square. Winner took all (restaurant got 10%).

I love playing poker.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 07:36:10 AM »
I have a friend who literally paid for his college education with poker earnings.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
I have a friend who literally paid for his college education with poker earnings.

I know someone who made over $15k in five weeks playing poker so he could travel to Vegas and buy into the WSOP tournament. He was knocked out within the first 30 minutes  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:56:48 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
I think 'they' should ban sunglasses from poker events. It makes something that's already quite boring to watch even more boring.

I completely disagree for two reasons.

1. Poker is not really a big spectator sport and the rules shouldn't be changed to simply make it more enjoyable for an audience. They already to plenty by only showing the "big hands" which are usually situations that are out of players' control where both of them get big hands they can't get away from, which coincidentally can be boring from the view of an experienced player. It gets better as the number of players in a tournament dwindles down, but it's not as exciting when all you see are all or nothing hands.

2. If you really know how to play, you can still find great enjoyment from watching even you couldn't see the players at all. Unless someone is awful with their tells, it's all about reading past play styles and bet progressions and patterns. Those are the main factors that tell a story about what they have in their hand. Trying to solve the mystery of how much of that story is truth is the fun of it all.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
I asked my friend about it.  As you can see, he is wearing them so he told me as long as they allow it, he will wear them.  At first he never wore shades but as time went on, he saw that people were reading eyes.  He decided to wear them all the time.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 11:39:42 AM »
When I sit down at poker tournaments. I try and throw out fake tells. I like to think it makes me harder to read.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
When I sit down at poker tournaments. I try and throw out fake tells. I like to think it makes me harder to read.

He did that originally but decided he was thinking too much about it and not doing his rainman card counting/guessing though process.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 12:54:59 PM »
If I suddenly had £153,505 in the bank - I'm not sure of the first thing I would do.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
I'd quit work tomorrow. Assuming $75K for a year's budget at home, I'd have enough to get my business off the ground and running. If after 10 months it wasn't panning out, I'd be reapplying to every insurance company in Hartford  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »
Well purchase wise - i'd probably stay in my flat because it's nice and there's no problems here :)

I'd get the guitar and amp i've always wanted and a drumkit too.

The rest I'd just put away and let it build up :P