Author Topic: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes  (Read 21176 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
and that's pretty disappointing considering the next gen consoles have been out for 2 years now and other games in the same genre look absolutely phenomenal.
Would you be able to give some examples? Not disagreeing at all, I'm genuinely interested as I don't have a new gen console and play most games on PC, and don't buy much in the way of brand new games so probably haven't seen any of these games that people are referring to.

I have Star Wars Battlefront, that may me the best looking game I have ever played on my PC.  Blows Fallout 4 out of the water in terms of graphics, but even my own complaints about the graphics of this game have not stopped me from really enjoying it.
Skyrim was the same for me, wasn't the prettiest game even back then. I felt the same about F:4 but then again Fallout is also suppose to be gritty and dark given we're talking about a post-apocalyptic world rather than a fantasy world. I quickly overcome that when I started appreciating the world Bethesda had created for me. They usually focus more on lushing out their world with interesting characters, quests, deep lore and areas to explore rather than cutting edge graphics. Funny you mention SW:B because in terms of depth and content F:4 blows that game out of the park it's not even funny.

And I don't mean pixelated graphics = bad, I just think that games should look the best they can, and I don't think Fallout 4 does.
Thing is, I don't know how to make that judgement. As you say, Bethesda packs so much content into its games. That's not a "luck" issue though, that is very much their focus, and the Fallout/TES selling point in terms of immersion.

I'll def check out the graphics in Battlefront, but is that not a more linear FPS? I was thinking of comparable games to Fallout 4.

Honestly BF is lacking on content and is not that great of a game overall although it is very fun.  There is a reason I put more hours into Fallout than BF and its because of the content.  For a more comparable game that I play, GTA V or the Batman games.  I think Fallout has a lot of detail in the graphics, the game just doesn't flow well and the performance suffers where as the other games I referenced look great and perform great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2015, 09:05:42 AM »
Yeah I totally get the point about performance, I guess I think of that as being distinct from graphics. But maybe these days they're both part of the same thing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2015, 06:46:17 AM »
So my performance issues have been documented in this thread... I had the weirdest thing happen.  I have already put in about 2 days of time into the game and I minimzed the game to check something on the web (I do think constantly as I play, maybe not to check something but just minimize the game window and do something else on my PC) and when I maximized the game window is somehow ran at about 50fps and felt so smooth and was really nice.  After another minimization that left and went back to normal.  I have no idea how or why that happened that one time.  I am wondering if Windows is somehow messing with my performance, holding my game back to 30fps.

Anyway, I set up my supply routes and am slowly starting to town build.  Took Croups mansion and made it taller and awesomer.  My brother has progressed into the storyline much further than me, he choose to go with the Institute.  I am trying to prolong having to make this decision so that's why I am doing town building instead of actually doing something.  I think I am leading towards the BoS though, they seem too bad ass.  The other is the Minute Men because I have devoted so much time to doing those basic missions and building up Sanctuary.  The railroad is my least interested faction, although I chose them to build my teleporter so I am wondering if that was a bad decision.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2015, 01:22:08 AM »
I am trying to prolong having to make this decision so that's why I am doing town building instead of actually doing something.  I think I am leading towards the BoS though, they seem too bad ass.  The other is the Minute Men because I have devoted so much time to doing those basic missions and building up Sanctuary.  The railroad is my least interested faction, although I chose them to build my teleporter so I am wondering if that was a bad decision.
I haven't really choosen either although I am running around in full blown modified power armor with Danse as companion. I used to have Cait the irish girl as companion but she cold heartedly rejected me when I declared my feelings for her so I went back to Danse.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:49:19 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2015, 04:10:18 AM »
:lol Harsh. I haven't taken Cait out with me at all yet. Thinking I might take her with me to do some BOS quests as she seems like someone less likely to have a problem with them than Piper or Valentine.

I find this game so addictive, just don't have all that much time to dedicate to it. Gradually making progress though.

I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
I made it to level 40 last night and finally made significant progress with the story, having finally gone on to the Institution.

Really cool stuff, totally enjoying this story.

Agreed that this game is addicting, I can't put it down.  My character is so strong.  I killed a legendary deathclaw last night with my quad rocket launcher.  The deathclaw never even got close to me, 8 rockets to its leg to cripple it so it couldn't walk and then four more to the chest to kill it. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
Yea my character is also starting to get pretty strong. I think the hardest or rather more annoying enemy i've met so far are the Assaultrons. The first time I met one I got totally demolished but a couple of well placed mines usually help alot.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »
Assaultrons are a nightmare. Eventually you start getting invisible ones o_o

...my name is Araragi.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »
Yea those are definitely difficult.  Those red lasers drain your hp quickly too.

I don't use companions, I have the perk for more carrying weight and damage resistance (I think?) for when you don't use a companion so I am mostly solo except for missions that require someone. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
I'm on my 2nd run through now, after realizing that my first may have been a bit hasty, even though I thought I tried to hold back.

Now I'm speaking to every person, doing more of the repetitive quests, etc. As part of that I'm also using companions more, to get into their stories and missions.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »
*Possible spoilers*

So I just gang murdered the whole Railroad faction. Wasn't really what I wanted and I felt a bit bad for the leader, she seemed nice but oh well all for my bros of steel.

Oh and I also finally got Caits booty, she opened up on me and so did I.  :zydar:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »
*Possible spoilers*

So I just gang murdered the whole Railroad faction. Wasn't really what I wanted and I felt a bit bad for the leader, she seemed nice but oh well all for my bros of steel.

Oh and I also finally got Caits booty, she opened up on me and so did I.  :zydar:

My brother's PC is in the same room as mine, he goes to me look at what I did and I look over and see all of the Railroad dead and he moved the bodies to one big pile in the middle of the room with Desdemona on top.  I was like, well thanks for spoiling what happens, but it was pretty funny  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »
*Possible spoilers*

My brother's PC is in the same room as mine, he goes to me look at what I did and I look over and see all of the Railroad dead and he moved the bodies to one big pile in the middle of the room with Desdemona on top.  I was like, well thanks for spoiling what happens, but it was pretty funny  :lol

***More spoilers***

I basically had to do the same thing for The Institute. The thing that pissed me off in that mission, is I backed into the one door, and the only person who could see me was Desdimona. So I picked out my highest power rifle, and loaded up a sneak headshot. She of course is dead. My plan was then to simply leave out the door before I was caught. Then it progresses to OH, YOU GOTTA KILL EVERYONE ELSE. Thanks, dicks. Would have laid mines and approached things differently had I known that. :lol
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »
*More Spoilers*

I killed the entire Institute and I felt bad for Shaun.. he didn't even want to talk to me. Then it turns out I forgot about Patriot and he got killed when the Institute blew up. I went back to the Railroad and his body was in the middle on a stretcher and I got an angry suicide letter from Desdimona from him. That was weird.

Currently wooing Piper though. Going swell
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
*Possible spoilers*

***More spoilers***

I basically had to do the same thing for The Institute. The thing that pissed me off in that mission, is I backed into the one door, and the only person who could see me was Desdimona. So I picked out my highest power rifle, and loaded up a sneak headshot. She of course is dead. My plan was then to simply leave out the door before I was caught. Then it progresses to OH, YOU GOTTA KILL EVERYONE ELSE. Thanks, dicks. Would have laid mines and approached things differently had I known that. :lol
:lol Pretty much my reaction too, had some progress with  the Railroad and I liked them but then I was like "fuck it", the factions will clash at some point anyway. I like my Power Armor and the bros served me with a life time of fusion cores and if everyones going down I might as well do it in style so I got Cait to wear power armor and handed her my minigun while I went bezerk with a combat shotgun and nades.  :yarr

So if I understand correctly all companions have a default weapon with unlimited ammo but if you equip them with a diffrent weapon they need ammo?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:04:25 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2015, 09:31:37 PM »
Not sure, but was wondering that as well.  Companions also have a special ability.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2015, 09:32:45 PM »
One of my favorites parts of any game... the honest game trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90uj8hs78c

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
 :rollin

Pretty much spot on

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
I had that EXACT same experience in that laser mine hallway with Dogmeat.

"Oh, let me just hack this terminal and... huh? DOGMEAT, NO YOU DUMB ASS!!!"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »
I had that EXACT same experience in that laser mine hallway with Dogmeat.

"Oh, let me just hack this terminal and... huh? DOGMEAT, NO YOU DUMB ASS!!!"

I actually saw that on imgur way before I visited that room and no longer had dog meat... i actually disarmed all of those.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2015, 12:42:59 AM »
 :lol Speaking of Dogmeat, I haven't used him in ages so I didn't realise until yesterday that I haven't seen him since either. Have no idea where he is since he isn't in Sanctuary, probably lost him somewhere.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2015, 05:13:16 AM »
:lol Speaking of Dogmeat, I haven't used him in ages so I didn't realise until yesterday that I haven't seen him since either. Have no idea where he is since he isn't in Sanctuary, probably lost him somewhere.

I lost him after the one mission where you follow him... I was pretty sure I sent him to sanctuary but I can't find him in the dog houses so he is lost in my game as well.

Offline adace

« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:53 AM »
Finally started playing F4 and I'm having a great time. So damn much to do and see. Don't think it'll top Skyrim but it's a great game for sure.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2015, 05:29:56 AM »
Last night was the first time playing in a week and I went ahead and made a decision, to go against the Institute.  Slaughtering synths left and right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2015, 06:12:14 AM »
Finally started playing F4 and I'm having a great time. So damn much to do and see. Don't think it'll top Skyrim but it's a great game for sure.
There isn't as much variety of location as in Skyrim, but so far I'm finding it a lot stronger narratively.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »
Imo I found exploring to be more intruiging in Skyrim because of the diffrent faunas and locations combined with the music. I remember the first time I visited Riften, I had explored the map quite a bit before but not that area. Was walking up the long walkpath and suddenly found myself in an autumn forest with rivers and small lakes. I was just blown away that I missed this whole area.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »
I agree, the Skyrim world was much more interesting and visually appealing.  I find a lot of the fallout 4 areas are very similar and I often feel like I'm clearing out the same building over and over (which in some cases I actually am doing).  However, i personally prefer the post apocalyptic world vs. the fantasy world in general.  So far, fallout 3 has been and still is my favorite world though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
I agree, the Skyrim world was much more interesting and visually appealing.  I find a lot of the fallout 4 areas are very similar and I often feel like I'm clearing out the same building over and over (which in some cases I actually am doing).  However, i personally prefer the post apocalyptic world vs. the fantasy world in general.
I agree with all of this, plus as I said before the stronger narrative.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
New Vegas remains my favorite FPS Fallout game. Overall I'm pretty disappointed with Fallout 4.

...my name is Araragi.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2015, 07:47:39 AM »
New Vegas remains my favorite FPS Fallout game. Overall I'm pretty disappointed with Fallout 4.

Im opposite, New Vegas was the worst IMO.  I am not at all dissappointed with F4, but I have sharply declined my playing.  I'll probably get back into it after Christmas though when I have a lot of time off.

Offline adace

« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2015, 04:04:01 PM »
SPOILERS:
So I beat the game siding with the Institute and I have to say I was kinda disappointed with the ending. It's just a cheesy, generic cinematic and afterwards there's no real sense that I've actually become the director. No ability to command an entire synth army or the option to free the synths.

What's even worse is that I've pretty much run out of interesting side quests to do and I haven't even played the game that long. 

Also, why is there no way to make all the factions work together? Why do all the endings have to involve destroying one or more them? Lame.

So yeah, I definitely enjoyed playing the game but as far as open-world RPGs go I like Witcher 3 and Skyrim WAY better than this. Hopefully the DLC will be more satisfying.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »
I've slowed down considerably once I realized I was just about down with the game.  While I would say Skyrim was better and this game had faults, I honestly can't be seriously upset about playing over 3 days of time with this game.  Definitely got my money's worth and I would not have played so much if it wasn't a good game.  I chose the BoS and am almost done taking down the Institute with the help of the Minute Men.  It seems I may not have to kill the Railroad as others have, but I also am not done so we will see.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
I finished the story arc a couple of days ago.

*spoilers*
I looked my son  in the eyes and told him I had to destroy the Institute, he was not pleased. I then proceeded to slaughter every living and synthetic soul at the institute with my bros and finished everything off with a well placed nuke. I got promoted for my efforts, I feel pleased!

I now run around trying to find vaults, there's just something rewarding about finding a colonized vault, it's like a mini world to explore and interact with. Besides vault 111, I so far found Vault 95 and 81. I know Vault 114 exist somewhere but haven't found it yet.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:51 AM »
Just got it a few days ago. Absolutely love it.

Also, after reading through the comments, I feel like I'm the only one who thinks Skyrim's map was boring. Everywhere felt the same, with the exception of cities. Same scenery, similar-looking dungeons, same... everything. Just felt bland.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »
I think the cities were what made skyrims map more awesome, plus that sceenery is cool but otherwise agree. It all starts to look the same after playing for hours, same with fallout.  Fallout however is lacking the awesome cities. Diamond city is really the only awesome city in the game.