Author Topic: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes  (Read 21167 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2015, 12:04:12 AM »
Yeah I guess everyone will have different preferences. I definitely prefer having a voiced protagonist and it makes everything that much more cinematic and real feeling. Ok there's less variety in the things I say, but I found in the previous Fallout and TES games that it didn't lead to any richer conversation anyway, and multiple options would produce the same response from the NPC.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2015, 03:37:37 AM »
I do like the leveling system in that I am not stuck with the SPECIAL that i chose in the beginning, I can now level those up too if wanted. 

The gameplay overall still feels like FO3, that is what people mean, of course there are some changes though.

A big change that I like is that you don't need to search for loot anymore, just look at something and you can see whats there to take.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2015, 03:39:03 AM »
Started yesterday building a 3 storey house. I love building in games like Rust and Space Engineers but it does feel kind of weird building in a Fallout game but it's fun though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2015, 03:48:56 AM »
Yea, I really like doing a build in fallout.  Not necessarily the greatest and easiest system to use, but its fun.  I built a two story house for now, but I can expand it to a 3 story.  I needed a place to store my loot so thats the main purpose of my house so far (plus a turret on the roof).  So I jut have a cabinet inside with my fat boy and mini gun as well as my power armor chillng in there, but I found a nice loot crate of like 6 fusion cores so I can make good use of the power armor when needed in the future.

Also went back to that first gas station and grabbed the dog that I missed both times I first walked past... I don't think my dog was spawned the first couple times though cause I chilled there fr about 15 minutes before the dog wandered past me.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2015, 05:55:48 AM »
The one thing I don't like about these kind of games is the fact I spend so much time doing nothing..

I've got about 5 hours game time;

I can probably allocate 3 hours to searching every damn house; 1.5 to building a house and scraping everything in sight; And only about 30 mins doing a quest... 

Do you mean the normal running speed or the slow walking one? The latter is REALLY slow but I never use that. The normal speed is a bit on the slow side, but basically fine.

Im playing on PC and I cant notice a difference between the 2... the sprint is fine though.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2015, 08:21:51 AM »
Im playing on PC and I cant notice a difference between the 2... the sprint is fine though.
There's 3 speeds. You use walking and normal speed by switching between caps lock and sprinting by pressing shift.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »
Been playing for a week now and i'm pretty hooked. I would say I struggled a bit in the beginning getting immersed because honestly I was a bit underwhelmed with the graphics, yea I know it's a shallow thing to judge a game on but as with any Bethesda game once you do get immersed and level up enough you realise the depth of the world they buildt not only the map and detail but all the characters, main/side quests, all the lore nuggets you can find. This time you also have weapon/armor customisation and building system. There's just so many things to do and explore to a level many games never reach. Skyrim was just the same for me, I wasn't blown away with the graphics but once I got immersed it was one of the most beautifully created games i've ever played.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »
Agreed, the graphics are a bit underwhelming, and honestly for me, i dont even think the graphics are bad, but the performance is bad.  I still can't get my game to run better than 30fps.  I read the game is capped at 60, but I heard I am not the only one seeing it actually capped at 30.  Not sure why though.  I turned my settings way down to run smoother, which it has but still not great and noticeably poorer than any game I've played in the last couple years.

Anyway, once I got past that then the game is a fuckin blast. I can't put it down.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
Agreed, the graphics are a bit underwhelming, and honestly for me, i dont even think the graphics are bad, but the performance is bad.  I still can't get my game to run better than 30fps.  I read the game is capped at 60, but I heard I am not the only one seeing it actually capped at 30.  Not sure why though.  I turned my settings way down to run smoother, which it has but still not great and noticeably poorer than any game I've played in the last couple years.

Anyway, once I got past that then the game is a fuckin blast. I can't put it down.
What kind of GPU did you have? I read about some tweaks for AMD cards that fixed a lot of issues.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2015, 12:00:13 AM »
I've made it up to about level 20, still not thrilled with the changes but I'm coping with them.

Nonetheless it's still not quite my Game of the Year, my list is something like

Undertale
Witcher 3
Fallout 4

And then...??? Arkham Knight I guess? If I had a Wii U I imagine Mario Maker would be up there.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2015, 03:53:40 AM »
Last night after 30+ hours and being at level 20 I finally did the second main quest mission of the game. :lol

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2015, 05:28:55 AM »
Last night after 30+ hours and being at level 20 I finally did the second main quest mission of the game. :lol

:lol nice, I finally made level 20 myself at about 25 hours of game play.  I am also avoiding the main quests and mostly been clearing areas of ghouls and raiders for the Minute Men... and building up Sanctuary.  I have some nice Cat art on my walls in my house, managed to start getting more settlers, a lovely bell to ring to gather my community, and I have a bath tub full of nuka colas.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »

What kind of GPU did you have? I read about some tweaks for AMD cards that fixed a lot of issues.

Forgot to mention this, I have an EVGA GTX 770.  My brother's low level AMD card (forget what model) makes his game run wayyy smoother than mine and his entire PC is like the downgraded version of mine.  I will see how Star Wars Battlefront performs soon enough to compare. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »
While I'm definitely having a great time playing, and have only really done a bunch of side missions, maybe one or two MQ missions, one BoS mission and settlements, I'm not so sure this game is worth the hype its getting. I mean, its a solid 85-91 for me on the 100 scale, and you'll definitely get your $60. I'm just not feeling the scope of the game as very big, and without other factions, towns with personalities and deep, fleshed out lore (a la Elder Scrolls [hey its fair because Bethesda]) I can't really dive into like I did with Skyrim. I just feel like, so far, you can't do as much in this as you could with Skyrim. I can't "live" in the Commonwealth, I don't feel like I can RP in the same way I could with TES or FO3 (sorta).  Within a week of Skyrim being out, I had 80 hours into it. Granted, work has been taking up most of my time for FO4.

I keep wanting to do the MQ, but I'm scared its going to be short and I'm going to be disappointed with the game.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:29 AM »
*minor spoiler*

Side note the map actually stretches further than the borders on the map. The nuclear zone outside the borders are really cool and stretches pretty far. Beware though to take lots of Rad pills with you or even better use power armor otherwise you'll be killed rather quickly if not by radiation by some nasty bug.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »
While I'm definitely having a great time playing, and have only really done a bunch of side missions, maybe one or two MQ missions, one BoS mission and settlements, I'm not so sure this game is worth the hype its getting. I mean, its a solid 85-91 for me on the 100 scale, and you'll definitely get your $60. I'm just not feeling the scope of the game as very big, and without other factions, towns with personalities and deep, fleshed out lore (a la Elder Scrolls [hey its fair because Bethesda]) I can't really dive into like I did with Skyrim. I just feel like, so far, you can't do as much in this as you could with Skyrim. I can't "live" in the Commonwealth, I don't feel like I can RP in the same way I could with TES or FO3 (sorta).  Within a week of Skyrim being out, I had 80 hours into it. Granted, work has been taking up most of my time for FO4.

I keep wanting to do the MQ, but I'm scared its going to be short and I'm going to be disappointed with the game.

I do think this "world" is much less interesting than the worlds of the previous fallout games and also skyrim (thats a different environment so maybe not fair to compare).  I think it has to do with creating settlements.  So many towns are just empty and uninteresting, but you can build them up and I am guessing that is the reason why.  However, that takes a lot of time and resources so it's not something I really want to do for every town.  I currently am just building up Sanctuary which I enjoy, but I can't see myself doing this for too many other towns.  BUt I guess that adds to replayability to this game.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »
Skyrim is the only game I've ever played that was similar to this. I've never even seen Fallout 3 game footage. Would I be more or less likely to enjoy this game?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
Skyrim is the only game I've ever played that was similar to this. I've never even seen Fallout 3 game footage. Would I be more or less likely to enjoy this game?

Depends on what you like about Skyrim.  The gameplay is essentially the same, its just a different environment, story, and then the combat (mechanics are the same, but no magic and you have advanced weapons).  But in general, I would say yes you would enjoy it if you enjoy Skyrim.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2015, 02:39:33 PM »
It's basically just Skyrim but with guns. So yes.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »
*minor spoiler*

Side note the map actually stretches further than the borders on the map. The nuclear zone outside the borders are really cool and stretches pretty far. Beware though to take lots of Rad pills with you or even better use power armor otherwise you'll be killed rather quickly if not by radiation by some nasty bug.

Im guessing you did a mission at the glowing sea?  attempted to do that last night, made my way to the spot but decided to fast travel back home and wait until I am levelled up some more before going back.  The radiation is tough and the amount of creatures is ridiculous.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »
*minor spoiler*

Im guessing you did a mission at the glowing sea?  attempted to do that last night, made my way to the spot but decided to fast travel back home and wait until I am levelled up some more before going back.  The radiation is tough and the amount of creatures is ridiculous.
Yep, I encountered with two Deathclaws on the way that almost slaughtered me. Power Armor is the best thing to use because it's safe from radiation so you can stroll around without eating radpills all the time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
*minor spoiler*

Yep, I encountered with two Deathclaws on the way that almost slaughtered me. Power Armor is the best thing to use because it's safe from radiation so you can stroll around without eating radpills all the time.

Its funny because I have three sets of power armor in my house, T-45, T-51, and Raider.  I also have over 10 fusion cores... yet I never use my power armor.  I dont know whats wrong with me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »
*minor spoiler*

Its funny because I have three sets of power armor in my house, T-45, T-51, and Raider.  I also have over 10 fusion cores... yet I never use my power armor.  I dont know whats wrong with me.
I have a T-51 that I got during the Brotherhood of Steel quest line, I also found 25 fusion cores somewhere on that ship or I might have stolen them, my memory is a bit fuzzy.  :biggrin: So I basically always use the power armor.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »
So, is this a "must have" game?  Been thinking about getting it.  Also, what is everyone's preferred method of purchase?  Buying the disc or buying on the network and downloading?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
I love it and if you are into these games then yes, its a must buy.  I play PC so I download, if I buy games for my xbox1 I normally buy the hard copy.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
So, is this a "must have" game?  Been thinking about getting it.  Also, what is everyone's preferred method of purchase?  Buying the disc or buying on the network and downloading?
I got it on disc just because if I decide to delete it for space it's way quicker to reinstall off the disc than it is digitally. Honestly, I'm still trying to find that wow factor that gets me addicted to the game. The lighting is phenomenal but I'm honestly disappointed with the graphics, pretty much looks like a fringe title between last and next gen, and that's pretty disappointing considering the next gen consoles have been out for 2 years now and other games in the same genre look absolutely phenomenal.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
and that's pretty disappointing considering the next gen consoles have been out for 2 years now and other games in the same genre look absolutely phenomenal.
Would you be able to give some examples? Not disagreeing at all, I'm genuinely interested as I don't have a new gen console and play most games on PC, and don't buy much in the way of brand new games so probably haven't seen any of these games that people are referring to.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »
and that's pretty disappointing considering the next gen consoles have been out for 2 years now and other games in the same genre look absolutely phenomenal.
Would you be able to give some examples? Not disagreeing at all, I'm genuinely interested as I don't have a new gen console and play most games on PC, and don't buy much in the way of brand new games so probably haven't seen any of these games that people are referring to.

I have Star Wars Battlefront, that may me the best looking game I have ever played on my PC.  Blows Fallout 4 out of the water in terms of graphics, but even my own complaints about the graphics of this game have not stopped me from really enjoying it. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »

I have Star Wars Battlefront, that may me the best looking game I have ever played on my PC.  Blows Fallout 4 out of the water in terms of graphics, but even my own complaints about the graphics of this game have not stopped me from really enjoying it.
Skyrim was the same for me, wasn't the prettiest game even back then. I felt the same about F:4 but then again Fallout is also suppose to be gritty and dark given we're talking about a post-apocalyptic world rather than a fantasy world. I quickly overcome that when I started appreciating the world Bethesda had created for me. They usually focus more on lushing out their world with interesting characters, quests, deep lore and areas to explore rather than cutting edge graphics. Funny you mention SW:B because in terms of depth and content F:4 blows that game out of the park it's not even funny.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2015, 03:57:13 PM »
I don't think anybody plays a Fallout game for the graphics  :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2015, 04:04:50 PM »
I don't think anybody plays a Fallout game for the graphics  :lol
Well I mean, I bought a next gen console to get next gen graphics, if they're going to just put out slightly beefed up 360/ps3 looking games I'd rather put my money towards something else usually, Bethesda's just lucky that they still put a metric fuck ton of content into the game.

To give examples though, it's really just that textures can be blatantly terrible, doors, buildings, nature, etc. Overall it's a game that doesn't look bad but doesn't look next gen which to me personally is disappointing. I get that not everybody puts stock into graphics, but to me they're an important component of the game. And I don't mean pixelated graphics = bad, I just think that games should look the best they can, and I don't think Fallout 4 does. I think it looks best at night in Diamond City, the lighting there is really friggin cool.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
I've had more trouble generating interest to play this than any other Fallout game.  Graphically, it could be a PS3 game.  I don't like the tweaks they made to SPECIAL and the story line just isn't grabbing me like Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout 3 did - it's on par with NV and that's not a good comparison.  The building element gets old rather quickly for me.   Actually, I think I'd rather play NV.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
Do you guys reach the point where you had to start choosing factions permanently yet? I've just gotten to the first point where it said if you do X then you will forever be hated by faction Y. I think I'll get to that point with everyone before proceeding on any of those missions.

I know that, no matter what, I will stick with the minutemen. Past that I think the game did a good job at making three factions that all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I'm not sure what I'll end up doing there. If they are compatible with the minutemen I'll likely stick with the Institute. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2015, 12:04:12 AM »
And I don't mean pixelated graphics = bad, I just think that games should look the best they can, and I don't think Fallout 4 does.
Thing is, I don't know how to make that judgement. As you say, Bethesda packs so much content into its games. That's not a "luck" issue though, that is very much their focus, and the Fallout/TES selling point in terms of immersion.

I'll def check out the graphics in Battlefront, but is that not a more linear FPS? I was thinking of comparable games to Fallout 4.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2015, 12:29:32 AM »
The Witcher 3 looks stunning, and is one packed as fuck game. Dragon Age Inquisition also comes to mind. Plenty of content in that game and it looks stellar.  It came out last year too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:17:38 AM by Dark Castle »