Author Topic: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes  (Read 21163 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2015, 03:05:55 AM »
Played for a few hours last night, must say its essentially a new fallout 3.  Not that that is a bad thing, but the graphics aren't much improved from that and the gameplay is exactly the same so far. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »
Yea it's very much Fallout 3 part 2 and that of course is not a bad thing depending on who you ask. I enjoy the game very much, I have some gripes about the game so far though but i've only played for a couple of hours so I will wait before I say anything.

I will say though that I don't understand why some devs like to put frame lock on the PC version. I can understand on consoles but one of the benefits of playing on a PC is to HAVE the ability to push graphical fidelity. Yea you can turn it off by tweaking files but I would rather not have a cap at all, I just don't see the point. I mean to have above 60 fps is only for the better right?

Some say that the frame lock is to hide the fact that the game engine is tied to the framrate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHjFkVw-s

That means that everything literally moves faster with higher fps. Don't worry, this only effects people with frame lock turned off!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:10:32 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2015, 04:13:02 AM »
My rig is actually struggling a bit with smooth gameplay, but based on some feedback, it does not appear to be my rig but the game itself.  I dont believe I am the only one with choppy game play.  Its not a smooth as it should be even if I turn down the graphics to low settings (it automatically detects I should be able to play on high) or when I use Nvidea to optimize the settings.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 04:16:29 AM »
I assume you have the latest driver?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2015, 04:18:17 AM »

I need to check that again, I think there is a new driver out now, but my nvidia experience app was giving me an error trying to download it.  That's where I left off last night before going to bed.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2015, 04:23:03 AM »
Ohh ok, yea there's a new driver aimed towards Fallout 4 so defenitely check that out. Set your framerate counter ON in Geforce Exp. and see what fps you get.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2015, 05:31:04 AM »
Well luckily I am working from home this morning so I checked this out... I am getting a very solid 30fps and I upgraded the driver of my graphics card as well.  Definitely less choppy now (I probably should have checked out the fps before I did the upgrade to compare  :facepalm:).  I will say I am still not impressed with the graphics.  They aren't bad, but its not up to par with the other latest releases. But as long as the choppiness is gone (which it appears to be) then I am satisfied because the game is still very fun.

Edit to add my specs:

GTX 770
i7-2600k Quad Core at 3.4GHz
12GB RAM
Using 1080p 60Hz monitor

which is slightly less than the recommended specs, but way more than minimum.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:54:46 AM by cramx3 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2015, 09:24:06 AM »
Played for a few hours last night, must say its essentially a new fallout 3.  Not that that is a bad thing, but the graphics aren't much improved from that and the gameplay is exactly the same so far. 
I've seen this said in a lot of places but I don't understand it. I'm only playing on mid-highish settings and the graphics look so much nicer than the previous Fallout games and Skyrim. Everything is rounder and smoother, and the character design and animation are a big step up. A big part of that is the lighting which adds so much to the atmosphere.

I need to check that again, I think there is a new driver out now, but my nvidia experience app was giving me an error trying to download it.  That's where I left off last night before going to bed.
The Nvidia experience software almost never manages to download and install driver updates. I always go to the Nvidia website, download from there and install manually, works every time (I also use the Nvidia experience to check that the version number I'm downloading is correct).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »
I've seen this said in a lot of places but I don't understand it. I'm only playing on mid-highish settings and the graphics look so much nicer than the previous Fallout games and Skyrim. Everything is rounder and smoother, and the character design and animation are a big step up. A big part of that is the lighting which adds so much to the atmosphere.

The Nvidia experience software almost never manages to download and install driver updates. I always go to the Nvidia website, download from there and install manually, works every time (I also use the Nvidia experience to check that the version number I'm downloading is correct).

Yup, thats the first time it failed for me, but the website route worked and improved the game... however I stand by my comments that the graphics are not significant;y better... they definitely are better and the lighting is probably the biggest improvement I noticed, it's just not as good as other games even GTA which was open world ported from the consoles.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2015, 10:01:48 AM »
I'm interested to know what's apparently so different between these games. I appreciate it might be not as amazing as some of the other AAA games that are out these days, but clearly different games have different priorities.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
I'm interested to know what's apparently so different between these games. I appreciate it might be not as amazing as some of the other AAA games that are out these days, but clearly different games have different priorities.

Well sure, I am not really knocking Fallout overall, the game is great so far, it is honestly just lacking a bit in the graphics for a top notch title.  I think maybe its because I cant get it to run higher than 30fps isnt helping either, but I see I am not the only one disappointed with the graphics.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:34:56 PM by cramx3 »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
Graphics while certainly nice aren't up to par with other games that have been released. I've noticed some rough ass textures out in the wilderness on occasion.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »
Fair enough, I guess I don't really buy many brand new games these days but I think it's looking fantastic.

I can see myself getting very addicted to this game. Made my way to Concrord and did the stuff, came back to Sanctuary and now I'm just getting engrossed in building stuff. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2015, 03:40:09 PM »
I've read some speculation that this game is already pushing the graphical limits of the PS4/XBox1, which if is the case, is very sad for this generation of consoles (xbox 360's graphics got better over time as developers were able to get more out of the hardware), but I am not believing that just yet, might just be some upset people blaming the consoles.  I think over time and patching, this game will look better and if its not bethesda that does that, it will be the modders for PC. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 03:41:44 PM »
Fair enough, I guess I don't really buy many brand new games these days but I think it's looking fantastic.

I can see myself getting very addicted to this game. Made my way to Concrord and did the stuff, came back to Sanctuary and now I'm just getting engrossed in building stuff. :lol

What system are you playing on?

Also I did what you just did last night, that was a fun first mission!  However I did not get caught up in building, just went on, but I will definitely go back to that.  Apparently I missed out on getting the dog already, my brother ripped me for missing it on your walk back to Sanctuary... I just didnt notice lol too much to look at.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
What system are you playing on?
PC, on mid-highish settings

Also I did what you just did last night, that was a fun first mission!
Yeah, good start on the NPC front and introduction to power armour.

However I did not get caught up in building, just went on, but I will definitely go back to that.
I haven't made that much progress yet as I don't have any food to plant so need to find some and come back, but I can definitely see it being an addictive element of the game.

Apparently I missed out on getting the dog already, my brother ripped me for missing it on your walk back to Sanctuary... I just didnt notice lol too much to look at.
I found the dog on the way to Concord first time around, as I went through the Red Rocket area he was loitering. So I had him with me when fighting all the raiders there. So yeah, if you missed him both on the way and on the way back, that's pretty epic fail. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
Interesting thing that I noticed yesterday, the handyman drone that you can have as companion. That thing said my game name yesterday and given I had my real name (Daniel) set I was a bit stunned hearing my real name from the drone.
I checked it out and turns out Bethesda recorded about 1000 real names and if your character has one of those it will call you out by your game handle.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
Yep! Codsworth calls me: "Mr. Rockatansky".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
My friends and I went out to eat a few weeks ago and we were discussing the game. One of them said "You know what they're doing in Boston for the release?" I said "Bombing it?"

It was intended to be a Fallout joke. It came out sounding like a marathon joke.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
What processor do you have? I have a pretty decent machine, but I'm worried my i5-750 won't cut it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »
GUYS

GUYS

GUYS

I totally forgot to mention this. When the game started up for the first time, and you went to the main menu, please tell me I'm not the only one, for a fleeting moment who thought, "HOLY SHIT, THE RAVEN REFUSED TO SING IS IN THIS GAME!".

So close.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:17 AM »
GUYS

GUYS

GUYS

I totally forgot to mention this. When the game started up for the first time, and you went to the main menu, please tell me I'm not the only one, for a fleeting moment who thought, "HOLY SHIT, THE RAVEN REFUSED TO SING IS IN THIS GAME!".

So close.
It totally reminded me of it, yeah, although I thought that when we first heard the music in one of the trailers I think it was.

What processor do you have? I have a pretty decent machine, but I'm worried my i5-750 won't cut it.
My processor is an AMD of some kind, 2.4GHz. Apparently below minimum requirements, but the game is running smoothly. I've got 8GB RAM and GeForce 660 Ti graphics card as well. Think I might actually push my settings higher for now and only bring it down if I get any slowdown in big fights.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:39 AM »
Oh also, is anyone else playing as a female character?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2015, 05:59:50 AM »
THEY FINALLY ADDED A SPRINT BUTTON!!!!!!!! 

But also... They made the walking speed slow as hell...  >:(

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2015, 06:41:36 AM »
Do you mean the normal running speed or the slow walking one? The latter is REALLY slow but I never use that. The normal speed is a bit on the slow side, but basically fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »
GUYS

GUYS

GUYS

So close.

I actually thought this too! I restarted the game because I wanted to know what the song reminded me of.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2015, 07:16:03 AM »
Do you mean the normal running speed or the slow walking one? The latter is REALLY slow but I never use that. The normal speed is a bit on the slow side, but basically fine.

This, Im not sure what the point in that slowly walking option.  If I want to be quiet I will sneak.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »

This, Im not sure what the point in that slowly walking option.  If I want to be quiet I will sneak.
:lol Yeah seriously, why is it even a thing?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2015, 10:05:33 AM »
I got a lot of game time in last night, I find this game fairly difficult.  I struggled getting through some of the early missions but now I'm doing better. Maybe I just need to get some better weapons and what not and tried to do too much too soon. Either way, I was having a blast. 

Experienced nuclear dust storm like weather which was really cool and radiating.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
Dude I experienced my first storm last night too, that was neat! I had to fast travel away since I barely could move without being radiated but still, it was cool!

I agree with the difficult-ness too, I'm playing the game on hard since I thought FO3 was very easy and everytime I see a feral ghoul I shit my pants! I've thought about bumping it down to normal and just enjoy the world.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2015, 03:13:12 PM »
I'm not sure what I think about this game yet.

I find it strange that people are saying the gameplay is like Fallout 3 because...it isn't? They've completely removed the concepts of skills and just replaced it with more perks. What was the point of this exactly? It doesn't feel like my character is developing in a meaningful way.

Why do AAA companies keep removing features for no particular reason? Do they think they will attract more casual players by simplifying the game? No offense if anyone here is one, but why should my gaming experience be watered down to pander to these people?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
With all the crafting and the absurd number of different perks and levels of perks, I'm really not finding this watered down at all. Just because one feature was removed doesn't mean there's less comlexity.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
I do miss that minutiae when leveling up and that I could super specialize in some things, but I don't hate this "streamlined" level system as I thought I would.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
the one thing that really irks me is the HUD. i hate that it's not those little hashmarks anymore. other than that, there's not much to complain about. i like what they did w/ VATS, the graphics are good, and don't take away from the gameplay. i haven't found a gun i really love yet, but i'm fond of the laser musket even though it kinda sucks.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2015, 04:39:04 PM »
Admittedly I'm not far enough to do any crafting yet, it would have to be a pretty revolutionary crafting system to afford me the level of character customization they took away.

And maybe it's just me but having a greater variety of dialogue options absolutely trumps having everytging I say voice acted. In fact it sort of annoys me because it takes away my ability to define my own character's voice...

Ultimately my gripe is: let me roleplay, dammit!

...my name is Araragi.