Author Topic: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes  (Read 21165 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes
« on: November 09, 2015, 06:52:38 AM »
So I think we are few that's looking forward to Fallout 4 so instead of clogging up the ordinary game thread let's just start it's own thread.

The review embargo have been dropped now so reviews are pouring in and from what I can tell it's looking really good:

9.5/10
https://www.polygon.com/2015/11/9/9648824/fallout-4-review-xbox-one-PS4-PC

9/10
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/fallout-4-review/1900-6416306/

10/10
https://www.gamereactor.eu/reviews/363713/Fallout+4/

9/10
https://www.gamecrate.com/reviews/review-fallout-4-makes-everything-you-love-about-fallout-games-even-better/12098

9.5/10
IGN Video review

I have pre-loaded the game on steam and can't wait for tomorrow!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:08:09 AM »
I've been waiting so long for this!! So excited!  :corn

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 07:40:01 AM »
It's being released tomorrow? :dangerwillrobinson:

I'll wait to get this until I come back from my vacation but boy I'm so excited for this. Fallout is about the only game outside of sports games that really interests me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »
Already pre-ordered, can't wait to play tomorrow night.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
Very excited!

I don't even know if I'll be able to play it properly. My RAM and graphics card are powerful enough but my processor is below the "minimum requirements" noted on Steam. Hopefully it'll run ok on lower settings!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:26:29 AM »
I think you might be fine, it's a modified SkyRim engine so hopefully.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »
Yeah I mean the graphics look vastly upgraded from Skyrim (which my PC runs absolutely fine) so if the engine is basically the same then it should, in theory, run fine on milder graphics settings.

We'll see. I've been thinking when I might want to upgrade anyway, so if necessary I could always do so sooner than planned. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
I need to pre-download when I get home tonight, pre-purchased the game and the season pass for a nice discount.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »
I noticed the season pass and I don't actually understand what it's for...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
Yea one of the critiques I heard about F4 is that it's sometimes graphically evident that it's running on old tech and even certain animations from Skyrim are re-hashed in F4. What i'm saying is that if you can run Skyrim on good settings I think you'll be fine.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:19 AM »

Its a one time payment for all the DLC.  If you plan on buying all of the DLC it is worth the price as it is cheaper than buying it all individually.  In the past I have done this for these types of games so it makes sense for me (buy all of the DLC, I don't think they offered a season pass for the past games).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Going to midnight release tonight and I'm stoked, even though I've never played the series before.

My dilemma is this, I had to dedicate all my time off to a cruise next week, so I didn't get to take a day off like I normally would for a midnight release.

Do I simply stay up anyway and go to work with no sleep, or manage to get home, sleep, go to work, and wait till after to play.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 12:12:14 PM »
My coworker and I just had this discussion.  He goes "how many people do you think will take tomorrow off?"  My response was I don't see why anyone should take off or anything.  The game is too big to play in one day so what's the point of taking time off work?  (not that it was Nick's question). 

Remember you need to install the game and maybe download updates.  It will take time.  I personally would set it up to install and what not and wait until tomorrow ( I am assuming you are playing console since you are going to a release).

For me, I have my steam code so I plan on pre-downloading tonight but won't play until tomorrow.  I think I need to be up at 5am tomorrow so its not worth losing sleep over.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »
Lowest score I've seen is a 7.5, my hype could not be hype-er!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
For me there is an unusual factor of going on vacation on the 14th. So I want as much time in as possible before I'm without the game for a week.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 12:46:17 PM »
Yea one of the critiques I heard about F4 is that it's sometimes graphically evident that it's running on old tech and even certain animations from Skyrim are re-hashed in F4. What i'm saying is that if you can run Skyrim on good settings I think you'll be fine.
Schweet, fingers crossed! I run Skyrim on pretty much the highest settings and it's fine.

Its a one time payment for all the DLC.  If you plan on buying all of the DLC it is worth the price as it is cheaper than buying it all individually.  In the past I have done this for these types of games so it makes sense for me (buy all of the DLC, I don't think they offered a season pass for the past games).
For me, I'm very unlikely to be interested in playing the DLC when it's first released. So I'm not going to bother with the season pass, and if any of the DLCs are particularly interesting (the couple of big add-ons they usually do are the only ones I'm normally interested in) I might get them further down the line when I fancy a second play-through of the game. That's what I did with Skyrim.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:04 PM »

It's a shakedown. Don't support that business model!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »
By the way, I've never done a pre-load before (last game I bought at release was Skyrim, which was on PS3 as I didn't have a proper graphics card back then). How does it work? Do we install and then just unlock tomorrow, or is there more that needs to be done tomorrow?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »

It's a shakedown. Don't support that business model!

Its only a shakedown if you don't play the DLCs (which I have fallen for before :cough: call of duty :cough:  but Fallout games get the value with the DLC.  And if you mean a shake down on a bigger scale, well that ship has already sailed. 

By the way, I've never done a pre-load before (last game I bought at release was Skyrim, which was on PS3 as I didn't have a proper graphics card back then). How does it work? Do we install and then just unlock tomorrow, or is there more that needs to be done tomorrow?

As far as I know, there is nothing more to do.  Let the download go and tomorrow or at midngiht tonight you should just be able to play although they could through in an immediate update.  Not sure honestly.

For me there is an unusual factor of going on vacation on the 14th. So I want as much time in as possible before I'm without the game for a week.

Makes sense then, bring it with you lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 01:08:16 PM »

As far as I know, there is nothing more to do.  Let the download go and tomorrow or at midngiht tonight you should just be able to play although they could through in an immediate update.  Not sure honestly.
Cool, thanks.

Other noob question: are pre-load downloads often really sporadic? I briefly had a high download speed but since then it's mostly been low speeds and then periods of not downloading at all. And my connection is fine so it's not that.

EDIT: Never mind, found a fix: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/3rvrnz/fallout_4_preload_stops_every_minute_or_two/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
Makes sense, without reading that link I had thought the same thing.  It's just a lot of people are downloading so the speeds are going to be sporadic.  The suggestion of using the closest server eliminates the physical latency.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 01:35:59 PM »
Going to midnight release tonight and I'm stoked, even though I've never played the series before.

My dilemma is this, I had to dedicate all my time off to a cruise next week, so I didn't get to take a day off like I normally would for a midnight release.

Do I simply stay up anyway and go to work with no sleep, or manage to get home, sleep, go to work, and wait till after to play.

I'm waiting until I get back and given how much time this game requires to finish I'd recommend you do the same. I'd also recommend you play Fallout 3 or Fallout Vegas before .
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 01:44:43 PM »
Makes sense, without reading that link I had thought the same thing.  It's just a lot of people are downloading so the speeds are going to be sporadic.  The suggestion of using the closest server eliminates the physical latency.
Yeah the UK servers are clearly a bit dodgy or overloaded at the moment. Whereas using the Indian server, I'm currently getting the best download speeds I've literally ever got on anything ever. Just doesn't make sense! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
I have my copy pre-loaded already however I've been traveling all day. I should probably take a nap and wake up at midnight so I can at least knock out an hour of the game.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »
My copy's about an hour away locationwise, and it looks like UPS is the one who'll be delivering it soooooo things are very possible right now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:19:05 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »
I will be pre-downloading as soon as I get home from work in about 2 hours.

I have been told to work from home tomorrow though so..... I don't see why I can't play on my PC while "doing work" on my laptop

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 06:29:34 PM »
The wait between now and when I get off work tomorrow night to play this is going to absolutely suck.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:51:14 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 08:01:42 PM »
Fallout 2 is still the best Fallout.

I'm not going to get to play this for a while, so I'm just going to wait until I have time, and maybe the price will come down.  :'(

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
i pre ordered the pip boy edition so long ago, so hopefully the wait from now until tmrw won't suck that hard. the thing that does suck is that i work 1230-9 the next couple days, and won't be able to play until at least thursday.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 12:19:54 AM »
Ok, the pre-load required some sort of update that took me about 40 mins so am glad I got up early to set it going. It's all ready to play now, so I'll be making a start as soon as I get home from work tonight. :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »
My download is ready to play, I will get it going today while I work from home, but I do have some work I need to do first

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 03:36:17 PM »
Got a couple of hours in this evening, taking my time and really soaking it in. It's wonderfully atmospheric so far, and the music is fantastic.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
Got a couple of hours in this evening, taking my time and really soaking it in. It's wonderfully atmospheric so far, and the music is fantastic.

This!

The music is really killer. This game will take a while for me to play through since I don't have much time to game but I'm enjoying every minute so far.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 02:42:40 AM »
I'm glad to see all those positive reviews. I will eventually get this and probably love it just as much as you guys. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.