Author Topic: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes  (Read 21429 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Fallout 4 v. War Never Changes
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2018, 06:10:17 AM »
I watched this earlier today and it told me everything I needed to know about that game (it's also pretty funny).

Highlights are the part where a dude shotguns another player repeatedly but his health keeps going up rapidly, because the server doesn't check anything and just accepts whatever it receives from the client (so hackers can send health-up commands to the server every second, among other things). I also liked the part where it is revealed that character animation speed is tied to framerate, which means that you run faster when your framerate is higher (so people uncap their FPS and run really fast by looking at the ground :lol) and reload speed can be manipulated in this way as well.

Releasing a multiplayer game with these kinds of problems is pretty shameful, to be honest. Especially from a big developer like Bethesda and at $60 USD.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2018, 06:32:08 AM »
I haven't played any of it (I've been playing RDR2) but it's a bummer it is doing as bad as it is.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2018, 06:45:12 AM »
I am a massive Fallout fan and I loved 4, but from everything I've seen and watched about 76, I want nothing to do with it. 76 looks very lackluster and its hard to even differentiate it from 4. Its glitchy, buggy and I am not into the online thing at all and really still feel satisfied by 4 and at this point I am not even ready for a new Fallout yet.

And knowing that they could have been using the time to make Skyrim 6 aint helping either.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
What's even more of a bummer is they are still usign the same engine for the new elder scrolls game :(

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
I think this guy brings a fair impression of the game:

https://youtu.be/BEjSGNv4ZYg

From the start F76 was never intended to be Fallout 5, it's a deviant from Fallout 4 and a question on how Fallout 4 would have been with MP and COOP. So lots of assets from Fallout 4 are simply re-used in F76.

Anyone that's followed Bethesda knows of it's bugs and "outdated" graphics in their games, not to say that's ok but it's been that way for a long time i'm just saying that's not news worthy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:23:15 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »
When observing and looking at 76, the thought that comes to mind is "unnecessary"

I have loved Fallout since 3, and its been one of my favorite game franchises. After 3 was released, and another game was released that was not expected to be fallout 4, but hot damn did I fall in love with it, and that was New Vegas. That is an example of them making something that not only stands on its own, but also draws you in and creates an awesome experience.

Sure, 76 is not supposed to be Fallout 5, but if it was supposed to be something that me (a strong Fallout fan) would buy, then they failed miserably.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »
After 3 was released, and another game was released that was not expected to be fallout 4, but hot damn did I fall in love with it, and that was New Vegas. That is an example of them making something that not only stands on its own, but also draws you in and creates an awesome experience.
It's not "fair" to compare it to New Vegas that's a spin-off and follows the same classic Fallout format while F76 is a MP game without NPCs, that in itself is very diffrent so it's bound to clash with people that want the classic Fallout format. With that said it's clear that Bethesda attempt at making a MP Fallout game didn't really work that well and I guess hopefully they listen to the fans and move on.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »
From the start F76 was never intended to be Fallout 5, it's a deviant from Fallout 4 and a question on how Fallout 4 would have been with MP and COOP. So lots of assets from Fallout 4 are simply re-used in F76.

I don't see why I would pay $60 for that personally.  If it's essentially a MP version of F4 then that sounds more like DLC or like $30 tops.  Granted, I feel I know little about this game and don't really understand it.  Like what do you actually do in it?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »

I don't see why I would pay $60 for that personally.  If it's essentially a MP version of F4 then that sounds more like DLC or like $30 tops.  Granted, I feel I know little about this game and don't really understand it.  Like what do you actually do in it?
For me, it depends on the content. From what I hear it feels very empty and shallow and I think that's alot because they don't have NPCs to interact with and the dialogue system. Now if it was a traditional Fallout game just like SP but with MP and Coop I atleast would pay $60 but as you say this in many ways feels more like a stripped down Fallout game.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #219 on: November 19, 2018, 08:58:32 AM »
Wasn't the beta only like 3 weeks? I'm honestly not at all surprised there are so many bugs and issues when there was so little time for feedback.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #221 on: November 19, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »
I am usually a "Bethesda apologist" but this game rubs me the wrong way. It is a full priced title marketed as the next big thing (not Fallout 5 but as a big Bethesda game) and it falls short on almost every aspect. Sure, I prefer SP content and don't particularly like the direction of this title, but personal preferences aside this is just near-garbage based on a brief stint of beta and seeing my housemate play. Almost no techical progression from a several years old game, the same goddamn bugs that previously modders have successfully  patched, an incredibly shitty VATS system that is basically broken auto aim, a lifeless world that entirely depends on having other players make the fun etc. This game focuses on the weakest aspects of Fallout and lays those weaker elements painfully bare.

Also, I kind of dislike the argument "but with the right people it's fun!". No shit, with the right people a shoddy fanmade Garry's Mod server or VR chat rooms are also lots of fun.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: November 19, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
I read that basically this is a test project for the new studio they acquired a while back that specialized in mmo development.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:03 PM »
I read that basically this is a test project for the new studio they acquired a while back that specialized in mmo development.

So lets use a hugely popular franchise as a test subject?  :lol what a failure this seems to be so far

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
What's even more of a bummer is they are still usign the same engine for the new elder scrolls game :(

I read an article explaining why the engine itself isn't entirely to blame for this mess. So I guess we shouldn't be worried that Bethesda is using the same engine for the next Elder Scrolls game. We should be worried that Bethesda is developing the next Elder Scrolls game  :lol

https://kotaku.com/the-controversy-over-bethesdas-game-engine-is-misguided-1830435351
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2018, 04:50:56 AM »
I hope that this is kind of the wake up call that they need. If this wasn't a disaster maybe Starfield would've turned out shit.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2018, 05:17:52 AM »
I hope that this is kind of the wake up call that they need.
Unfortunately whether that happens will likely depend more upon whether it made money or not. Between the entry price and the microtransactions, it could end up being considered a "success".

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
Unfortunately whether that happens will likely depend more upon whether it made money or not. Between the entry price and the microtransactions, it could end up being considered a "success".

Here it is already heavily discounted, 20 euros less almost right after release (outside of blackfriday days), that is usually a sign it sold poorly.

Anyways, I think this game potentially hurts the Fallout brand and even Bethesda as a whole. It's really bad and puts a massive spotlight on every issue people had with Bethesda games for years. For example, Skyrim on the PS4 had the same experience hampering bugs as Skyrim released like 5 years before it. While some amateur modders have long patched that shit out in their free time. And now with a major new game they do the same shit.

Sure, I can put up with all the instability and have lots of fun with their games, loved Fallout 4, but if critics decide to trash them in the future, they have brought it upon themselves.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:32:29 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2018, 10:28:21 AM »

Here it is already heavily discounted, 20 euros less almost right after release (outside of blackfriday days), that is usually a sign it sold poorly.

Well there's still the Cyber Monday or Cyber Week thing going on but yeah, I've never seen a new AAA game so heavily discounted even when it came out right before a holiday.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2018, 06:04:36 AM »

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:09 AM »
Bestheda support has now leaked customer info

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-support-leaks-fallout-76-customer-names-addre-1830892930

My housemate kept me up to date in regards to this game and good lord did they fuck up everything the last couple of weeks. This is absolutely unacceptable though, I wonder if they will get a fine/legal issues from this. Companies over here can get into trouble if they send emails where you can see the other recipients email addresses, let alone actual personal information like your address or phone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
what a disaster for bethesda, this game is seriously hurting them

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »
I must say this game bums me out on many levels. I always stuck up with Bethesda's glitches because they do unique things, but this game shows many of these problems are just because they ignore them and let the modders fix them, again and again and again (on pc at least, shit out of luck for the rest, including me).  (Recent Skyrim rereleases as well, because they released it with goddamn bugs that fans have fixed years ago)

And to be honest I wouldn't care if their next game gets critically slaughtered if they pull the same shit again. Sure, I will buy it in the end and enjoy it, but this game is kind of the drop that spilled the bucket. For many, it seems. My housemate that was playing already dropped F76 and will likely never touch it again.

It has been a process of years for me to reach this point of annoyance, but this company has released a lot of shoddy games. For example, it is utter bullshit that I know people with a PS3 that could not even start the DLC they paid for because of the mess their tech is. We are talking a good while after release (so despite it being known glitches around release, this shit was never fixed apparently). Start a new game was the suggested solution (which isn't enticing if you have like 50 hours in a save). And then my own experience, where I probably cleared the entire game data routinely to make Skyrim (barely) run on the PS3. Or stuff like manually pushing an NPC for like 20 minutes to trigger the dialouge and continue a (main!)quest in Fallout 3, no console commands for us console players, so bless people that test out weird solutions like that and put them on a wiki. Or the many times I lost multiple hours on PS4 Fallout 4 because of similar NPC/companion/quest giver fuckery.

I do not know to what exent the technical issues are realistic to solve and to what extent they are a byproduct of their ambition, but now I do know that Bethesda does the bare mininum to make their products work and thus I won't defend anything of theirs anymore.

(End of rant)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2018, 03:29:50 AM »
I think it's easier to just ignore F76 and instead get excited for:

https://youtu.be/MGLTgt0EEqc

by the team that did F: New Vegas.

This looks awesome!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2018, 03:42:19 AM »
I think it's easier to just ignore F76 and instead get excited for:

https://youtu.be/MGLTgt0EEqc

by the team that did F: New Vegas.

This looks awesome!

Yeah, posted about this to the Video Game thread. Looks great! The space western setting looks awesome. This might satisfy my rpg itch until Cyberpunk 2077 arrives.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
Interesting, looks like a mix of bioshock and fallout

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2018, 03:05:47 PM »
Interesting, looks like a mix of bioshock and fallout
With a splash of Borderlands, especially in the humour and the sci-fi setting.

Looks great!

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:35 AM »
New trailer for The Outer Worlds:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmyF8IjfSUI

but also, Fallout 76 are actually implementing human NPCs in their upcoming DLC.

Fallout 76 - Official E3 2019 Wastelanders Gameplay Trailer

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »
<Delete>
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:45:23 AM by Stadler »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I loved.  Well, really really liked.  Kind of a cross between Thief and System Shock (remember that one?).  Starting Far Cry 2 now; don't know yet if I like it or not.   Don't want to get too far in to find I hate it, but I'll give it a shot for now.
Was this meant for the Video Game Thread?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #240 on: June 10, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »
Just finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which I loved.  Well, really really liked.  Kind of a cross between Thief and System Shock (remember that one?).  Starting Far Cry 2 now; don't know yet if I like it or not.   Don't want to get too far in to find I hate it, but I'll give it a shot for now.
Was this meant for the Video Game Thread?

Yeah, probably.  I'll move it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2020, 01:36:02 AM »
Fallout series under development by Jonathan Nolan (Westworld).

Short teaser: https://youtu.be/NUkifG0Al_0

Can't say i'm hopeful they will do it justice but we'll see.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 05:50:39 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2020, 02:08:16 AM »
Fallout series under development by Jonathan Nolan (Westworld).

Short teaser: https://youtu.be/NUkifG0Al_0

Can't say i'm hopefully they will do it justice but we'll see.
Well, it can't be worse than Fallout 4 or Fallout 76.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2020, 02:18:19 AM »
Fallout 4 was awesome! 76 never interested me at all though.

Anyway I'm big fan of Nolan and Joy so this has great potential.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2020, 05:48:17 AM »
Fallout 4 was awesome! 76 never interested me at all though.

This. I loved westworld and I think that for all the issues and shortcomings of the Fallout games, I think we can all agree that the world they have created is pretty interesting. If Nolan can create a story that is captivating enough then this should be a good show.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.