Author Topic: Marriage and Family  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Marriage and Family
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2015, 05:56:34 AM »

Out of curiosity, how many of the 25+ crowd here are living the exact life they wanted/expected as a teen and enjoying it?

To be completely honest, I blew away my expectations. I never thought I'd reach this point, especially not this early in life. I bought a house at the age of 25 with a girl whose perfection is not quantifiable. When I finally reached the future thinking age, I was partying pretty hard and fucking up most of life's simplest tasks. Things got pretty dark and I pretty much accepted a future of uncertainty with a high probability of amounting to nothing. Balcony day seemed to be confirmation of all of that (@OP: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16236.msg578942#msg578942).

I continued school at a new university and still managed to fail two of my five courses. I was put on academic probation after my first semester. I then started taking Vyvanse, a pretty powerful attention deficit disorder medication. I went from having never made the honor roll once in my life to hitting the Dean's list four semesters in row. I ended up graduating in the top 10% of my class.

I graduated with a degree that landed me in the corporate world. I quit my first IT-heavy job after a year and am now working as a business analyst. To be honest, I really hate the job. I hate everything about the corporate setting outside of the salary and having more benefits than I know what to do with (literally). I hope to one day get out of it, but until that day comes, I can't really complain. Things could have be (should have been) a whole lot worse for me.

@OP

All that being said, you're thinking about life way too much. Thinking about the future is good, but honestly, thinking about weddings and children situation is kind of pointless right now (you're 13, yes?). You have no idea where you or the world is going to be in ten years time. I'm sure many girls I went to school with would have loved to have a child by now, but none of them expected or understood just how hard paying back $50k in student loans would be.

Enjoy your teenage years. Stay away from meth.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2015, 06:25:31 AM »
Oh yeah and definitely don't try and grow up too soon. You'll be wishing you were 13 again for the rest of your life so don't try to act like an adult.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2015, 07:02:15 AM »
It will be really interesting to see how my future self reacts to all this. ;D
I do cringe with posts I made a year ago :lol

I cringe at posts I made today.

I'm cringing as I type this.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2015, 07:17:59 AM »
Geez.... 13 years old and you're already thinking of marriage and snotty nose-goo little persons!

I'm 21, my girlfriend's 18. We don't want to think about children for at least 10, 12 years ahead.. You gotta live your life first, accomplish your personal goals and get satisfied with yourself. After that, you'll live for your kids. For example, my mother was a successful dentist. After giving my birth and latter my brother's birth, she stepped away from her clinic and immersed in a mother's life. As someone said above, don't waste your "one shot deal" experience.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2015, 07:25:02 AM »
Also, forgot to mention that you can enjoy somebody's company without legally committing yourself to them. No reason to rush into marriage.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »
That's all true. But let's say, what if instead having kids at that early age, I could marry early. I feel the marrying earlier is better. This may seem ludicrous, but I believe in marrying early because once you marry, you spend your entire life with your "soulmate." I feel like marrying at earliest (age 16), and latest (age 18), and just go through life, go through college forever. Maybe like you said, travel, sleep around, etc together, because it will help on the long run and just strengthen our relationship. There is this guy that I've known for quite a while (the guys I said I talked to about marrying early) and right now, it seems so real. It seems like we might have something going. And please don't make fun of me for this or anything, but honestly, I think marrying early is a great idea.

And that right there is why you're not ready.   It is not a debatable point that the 13-year-old brain is not equipped to fully regard the consequences of your actions.  This gets better as you get older but doesn't really set in stone (to the extent it ever does; some people just don't have that capacity) until your early 20's.   

You don't marry "forever". Sure, some people do, my parents just celebrated 50 years last year, but it's not a given anymore, and part of that is that you DO change.   Your brain isn't even half developed yet in terms of it's capacity, and all those things you are GOING to learn are what are going to make you a good parent.  Just "caring" isn't enough.   You can care more than anyone who has ever walked the earth, but if you don't provide for that child, he/she will pay the consequences, not you.  If you can't protect that child physically or mentally, he/she will pay the consequences, not you.   If you end up a single parent, having to make all the compromises that single parents do, he/she will pay the consequences, not you.

One of the other things to consider (and admittedly, most people don't):  mature minds make decisions based on the possible downside, not the expected upside.  Because after all, who gets into a relationship thinking you're going to break up?  No one.   Who takes a job thinking they are going to lose it?  No one.  But you have to factor that if you are going to make the ultimate decision, having a child.

My kid is far and away the greatest thing that ever happened to me.  She is 14, and in the time since her birth, I have had better relationships, I have earned more money, I have been more sober, I have been in better shape... but none of those things happened ONLY because I had a kid.  They happened because I was 33 when she was born, and I had all the tools to make those things happen, and she was just the motivation.

But I do think I'm mature enough. :P

Which means you're not, because anyone who IS mature knows that there is far more they DON'T know, and far more they AREN'T ready for than there is. 

I think my brain is at least 95% developed fully and it's pretty close!

Hahaha, that is so cute.  You're not even 50% of the way there.  Why do you think the drinking age was set at 21?  Random?  Why wasn't it 18, which is the age of consent?   Because most kids' brains aren't fully developed until somewhere around 20 to 25, and things like alcohol and pot disrupt that development.   

The boy and I, it just seems so real. It seems that my future is just right there and it's just waiting for me to come. It's standing there with its arms wide open and it's just right there! Though, I've heard stories that some people who took that opportunity, sometimes it failed and they came out as depressed as ever. And hopefully I will stick around too. IT will be so nostalgic ten years later just to see what I wrote and I'll bet I'll be facepalming on some stuff.

And keep that thought, because it is beautiful, and pure, and won't last forever.   But remember this:  "MAN PLANS, AND GOD LAUGHS".  Meaning, as a person you have all these hopes and dreams and you set your plans out to achieve them, but life has a way of disrupting things.  You get sick.  You lose your job.  Your partner changes his feelings.   Your parents pass.  Your house burns down.  S*** happens. 

Hmm, what if I just thought of marrying? No kids yet and just marriage. Just marry that perfect guy, attend Dream Theater concerts together and all that nice stuff. And right now, I"m enjoying the benefits of being young and will continue that for like another 3 years before I might get married and then me and my boyfriend, or husband can explore the world together. We could stick by each other and help each other when we go through tough times.

I have an analogy I use with my daughter and stepdaughter.   You talk about the "perfect guy" and maybe he is.   But you go to school, right?  And say there are 200 people in your grade.  Let's say 100 are boys.   So you have ten CDs of songs, and those are the ONLY songs you listen to.  And you listen.  And listen.  And you know them inside and out, because you don't have any more songs to listen to.   And you accept the good parts and learn to tolerate the bad parts.   But then, you go to college.   And there are 2000 people in your class, 1,000 of which are boys.  So now you have 100 CDs to listen to.  And you realize that some of the 100 songs you liked are good, but they're not great compared to some of the songs in the 1,000 that you NOW have.   So your experience has grown, and you know more people.  But then, you graduate and go into the real world and get an apartment in that big city where there are 2,000,000 people, 1,000,000 of which are men.   So now you have 100,000 CDs to listen to!  It's almost too much, right?   But what are the chances that there is ONE GUY in that 1,000,000 that is more perfect than that one boy in the initial 100 that caught your eye?   

You have so much life to live, why not experience it fully, meet people, get a job, go to school, make mistakes, do all the things on your own before there is a partner or a baby that is dependent on you either not making mistakes, or being able to recover relatively unscathed from your mistakes.   

Yeah, I'm saying this because I think the circumstances are just perfect. It just seems perfect. It's because currently, we go to the same school and we are thinking of going to the same university, getting the same career, etc. We also don't live too far apart (10 minutes on foot). We hang out most often together and he is really funny and makes me laugh. After all, his knowledge of Dream Theater sorta helps me. He just seems so perfect and *sigh* I could just look into his eyes forever~ ANYWAYS, just to stick to the topic, I have no means of rushing our relationship. If we start really soon, we can develop our relationship and our perfect life is paved right there for us.

What if the town changes the districts and you go to a different school?   What if he doesn't get in to that university?  What if his parents move him because dad got a different job?  What if you have a baby that requires more care than a quote, "normal" unquote, baby?   What if you are in Dunkin Donuts one day and a guy walks in that just captures your fancy and makes you forget about him? 

If he's perfect now, he will be perfect at 24 when you have all your shit together and a means for answering all the what-ifs that life poses. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2015, 07:33:41 AM »
When I was young, getting married and having a family sounded awesome. It is awesome, but I spend a lot of time now wishing that I was young and single, or newly married again. You lose a ton of freedom having kids, which can be very frustrating at times. Just take advantage of being young. When the right person comes, get married if you want to. No reason to force it at such a young age. Make sure you've spent at least a couple of years in the real world out of school first.
Hmm, what if I just thought of marrying? No kids yet and just marriage. Just marry that perfect guy, attend Dream Theater concerts together and all that nice stuff. And right now, I"m enjoying the benefits of being young and will continue that for like another 3 years before I might get married and then me and my boyfriend, or husband can explore the world together. We could stick by each other and help each other when we go through
Under no circumstances would I recommend marrying at less than 18. If at 18 you still feel the same way about him, and he about you, then marriage is not a terrible idea. Just know that statistically a marriage that young is much more likely to end in divorce. The reasons for that are what everyone else has been mentioning. I though I would marry the girl I was with from 17-19, and I'm damn glad it didn't end up working out. But there are plenty that make it work.

Don't go through the next several years planning on getting married at 18. For now, just tell yourself you're too young. Start thinking about it again around when you turn 18. You will be a very different person then than you are now.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 07:37:07 AM »
I feel like we're seeing Icy2.0

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
No way, and that's a really harsh thing to suggest just because she's 13. I also think that some of Stadler's comments are unnecessarily harsh given he doesn't know her.

Angela, I honestly would never guess that you were 13 if you hadn't said so. Everyone is a little naïve in their teens (I sure as hell was) and to be honest a lot of people always stay so - you're definitely mature for your age and frankly more grown up than half of DTF. But it's not all about how mature or developed your brain is, it's also a lot about what you have experienced. Honestly, you won't necessarily notice it, but you will change a hell of a lot over the next 10-15 years, and so will everyone else your age.

You will feel how you feel and there's nothing wrong with us, but if you really do want our opinions then most of the general points being made are right. It is, of course, possible that you met your soulmate at your age and will always be together, so don't assume that it definitely couldn't even work like some are suggesting. I personally have never met a single person who did so (I know a couple of people who are still together in their 30s or later who met when they were 16, but that's the youngest).

Most importantly: Enjoy what you have while you have it! I'm 31 now and am only just feeling like I've settled into my life and know where things are going. When I was 19 I felt pretty much like you did, and I would say now that I was naïve for THAT age. If you're with someone and it makes you happy and you think it might work out in the long term, that's great! Enjoy it and make the most of it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 09:20:39 AM »
No way, and that's a really harsh thing to suggest just because she's 13. I also think that some of Stadler's comments are unnecessarily harsh given he doesn't know her.

I didn't mean anything bad by it. It's just been a while since we've seen someone this young who was so eager to get to the future.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 09:35:30 AM »
For sure, just beware the connotations.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Thanks Ariich.
It's fine though. I asked a stupid question, it would be right for people to answer back with the cold hard truth. In no way am I mad right now nor frustrated.  I'm just thankful for all those responses. Its shaping me and in no way is it hurting me.
And what's Icy 2.0?
Glad to be back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »
When you're young you want to be an adult asap.

But when you get there you change your mind. :p

I say try and enjoy being a kid whilst you can :) :)

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
When you're young you want to be an adult asap.

But when you get there you change your mind. :p

I say try and enjoy being a kid whilst you can :) :)
Well.... ;D
Adults can have fun like kids can. And I still have 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 to also have fun. Though, smoking or drugs will be on the top of my list. though drinking a bit might be ok. Not gonna be an addict to beer, but just using it in little moderation, only during parties might be the life.
Glad to be back.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »
Quote from: OnTheBacksofAngela
Adults can have fun like kids can.

no, No,NO!! Enjoy your teenhood while you can (in fact, you just entered it), in 10 or less years you won't have the same spare time you've got nowadays.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2015, 10:16:35 AM »
Well, I'm 29, still single and the prospects of marrying and having children are still not there for me but I'll still give you some advice:

Listen to this man, he knows what he's talking about.

There are very few decisions in life that you just can't go back from, and having kids is the biggest one. I fathered early, and though I don't regret it, I wouldn't advise it either. Take your time, enjoy being an adult, travel, sleep around, bank some cash, make some regrettable life choices to learn from, then once you are a bit older and wiser,become a parent. Your little spawn will benefit from your added life experience I guarantee it.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2015, 10:23:25 AM »
And what's Icy 2.0?

Icy is short for IcySk8r. A user by the name of Collin who also joined the board when he was 13 (I believe). He too seemed to be super caught up about his future despite being so young. From things like him self declaring himself a CEO at the age of 15 to not being sure whether or not he was gay and asking for our advice. He was just a young and curious kid who was eager to be an adult. Don't take my comment as a negative. That was not my intention. He's got his own company now (though the Facebook page hasn't been updated in two months) and seems to be doing just fine form himself.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »
And what's Icy 2.0?

Icy is short for IcySk8r. A user by the name of Collin who also joined the board when he was 13 (I believe). He too seemed to be super caught up about his future despite being so young. From things like him self declaring himself a CEO at the age of 15 to not being sure whether or not he was gay and asking for our advice. He was just a young and curious kid who was eager to be an adult. Don't take my comment as a negative. That was not my intention. He's got his own company now (though the Facebook page hasn't been updated in two months) and seems to be doing just fine form himself.
Wow, I just read the hello thread started by Icy. I do sound like him huh? :lol
It's fine Chino, I don't find offense to that statement at all. I guess the prospect of growig and maturing into an adult got to me.
Glad to be back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »
Though, smoking or drugs will be on the top of my list.

What. The. Fuck

Calvin6s

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:05 AM »
Though, smoking or drugs will be on the top of my list. though drinking a bit might be ok. Not gonna be an addict to beer, but just using it in little moderation, only during parties might be the life.
You've already practiced the addict speech.

Obviously you are on the cusp of discovering adulthood and are overflowing with questions and expectations.  And at 13, I know people are saying "enjoy your childhood", which is good advice, but it really is a critical time for you right now.

My best advice is that right now you are a sponge like you may never be again.  You probably have a veracity for knowledge that cannot be quenched.  Make sure you give yourself a healthy diet of knowledge right now.  Prioritize what you think is important and soak it up because even though a day now feels like forever, you will learn things at a ridiculous rate right now.  And besides biological, it has a lot to do with an uncluttered mind.  Your responsibilities are few, so if you want to spend the weekend learning a programming language, the only thing stopping you is you.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Though, smoking or drugs will be on the top of my list.
What. The. Fuck
Shoot! SO SORRY ABOUT THAT!  I didn't mean that, really! I just typed it on my phone and sometimes it corrects it weirdly. I meant I WON'T smoke or do drugs. I promise. I didn't mean to write that!!  :(

Glad to be back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2015, 11:09:39 AM »
Good. ::)

I'm 37 and i've never been drunk or put a cigarette in my mouth  :angel: . Only ever had prescription drugs. ( but kotow they're as bad if not worse ! )

You don't have to do those things. Remember you're an individual and doing what everyone else is doing just takes away from YOU.

Calvin6s

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »
Wow.  This is getting into dangerous territory as it is basically corrupting a minor.  Please don't ask for our advice on drugs as an honest answer is probably not something we should offer someone of your age.

I can't imagine what I would have done with the internet at my fingertips at 13 (and before).  Throw in torrents and access to educational materials that would cost a fortune to secure and life could have been even better.  Don't screw up the advantages in life you've been given.  Especially considering your future kids (ruh roh) will most likely have an even greater advantage.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2015, 11:25:29 AM »

Now i'm nearly 40 i'll settle for a nice house to myself by the sea with a job that I enjoy that pays well. . .
You consider that settling?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:10 AM »
I GUESS NOT

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »
@Calvin6s:
Don't worry about it! I won't smoke or do drugs and let's just end it there! ;)
And I wont. I want my future and my child's future to be as good as possible for them. I won't screw up the advantages and will instead use them.

And I think if this thread should be locked up. I already got your opinions so I'm fine now! Next thing would be just to come back here 10 years later and reflect on what my immature self thought.  :lol Mods? If you may? :)
Glad to be back.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
:bosky:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:19 AM »

Now i'm nearly 40 i'll settle for a nice house to myself by the sea with a job that I enjoy that pays well. . .
You consider that settling?

My thought's exactly  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »
Please elaborate.  ::)

Calvin6s

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
It isn't the ultimate settle, but more like realistic optimism.  At 13, you were going to conquer the world.  At 31, you start to worry more about just conquering life.

If you focus on more specifics like a home in a location that would make you happy and a job that does just enough to pay for that location's cost of living (and retirement planning) while still being a somewhat enjoyable job, it is a nice goal to settle on.

Life in action:
Will you "cure homelessness"?  That was always a long shot.
Now you will just open a shelter and "do it the right way" ... hmm.  Maybe not.
Ok, I'll just change the lives of a few homeless people.  Hmm.  They might be homeless for a reason.
I'll cure my possible homelessness.  I can do this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
More like : every life goal I ever had burned in front of me.

Fuck it - as long as I have a nice place to myself in a nice location and a job I enjoy - i'll be happy ?

Apparently not... ::)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2015, 11:46:22 AM »
Then of course there's the thing about you lying about being 37, actually being 23. Or is that just me not being able to comprehend it?  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
I think it's you.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2015, 11:51:27 AM »
Angela,

Marriage and family has been the largest joy of my life, so my opinion is that it is a fantastically worthwhile venture. I'm happy for you that you have a positive view of the institution... all in good time, though. There have been many opinions in this thread that I would echo and I really only have one thought to add.

In my experience, the only real job a parent has is to prepare their children to be self-sufficient adults. Full stop. A nearly impossible task until the parents themselves are fully functioning in society and completely self-sufficient.

So, my thought is, hang on to your dream of family (if that's what's important to you) but prepare for it well.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »
Please elaborate.  ::)

Usually when someone says "I'll settle", it's for something less than ideal. A house by the sea working a job that you love that also pays well seems like a dream or a goal, not something someone would typically settle for.

For example, I'd love a house on a lake and a job that I loved going to every morning. However, if that was unobtainable for whatever reason, I'd settle for just a regular old house and a job that at least pays the bills.

We might just be looking at a difference in the cultural context of the word "settle". I dunno.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:18:52 PM by Chino »