Author Topic: Marriage and Family  (Read 4623 times)

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
Marriage and Family
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:46:44 PM »
I'm in the process of puberty and a thought occurred to me. Would marrying and having kids early like 18-24 be too early? There's this guy and I, (A dream theater fan), that once was discussing about this. We both agreed that getting married and having kids early would be wonderful. Since I know some of you are already married or an adult, I wanted your opinion. Do you recommend marrying and having kids really early in life? Would be cool to be a mom.

Edit: Please don't say, "Whatever makes you happy or your choice." I just want your opinion on what you think of the situation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:07:58 PM by OnTheBacksofAngela »
Glad to be back.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Marriage and Family
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
Well, as an aged and wise elder, I suppose my thoughts on the matter would be "ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE! You're thirteen for chrissakes!"

I personally don't recommend it for all, but then I'm a bit of a weirdo. What I do know is that even at 24 you still don't have a damn clue who you really are yet. I consider anybody shy of 25 a real idiot in life, and while I don't recommend idiots marry or procreate, I wholeheartedly recommend that they enjoy life while they're still young enough to reap the benefits of their idiocy. I find that incompatible with responsible family life. After that there's still plenty of time to settle down and start up a family if that's important to you.

edit: BTW, good username Never noticed that before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 07:58:38 PM »
You obviously haven't been to the DT side and seen the 6000 threads that the OP has opened!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
You obviously haven't been to the DT side and seen the 6000 threads that the OP has opened!
Oh, I've seen her post out here. I just never noticed the "Angela" part before; what with me being borderline illiterate and all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
@Tac: If it's pissing people of, I will apologize and stop creating new threads. Just say the words and I will gladly oblige.

@El Barto: Yeah, thanks! And I came to this thought because I see a couple with cute kids and I just sometimes think it would be cool to have kids by my side. And can't I still enjoy life with a husband and kids?  ;D
Glad to be back.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
Enjoy being a teen while being a teen.  Like EB said. Find out about you and what you want to do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cable

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »
Emerging adulthood was created as a developmental category, which when I was in undergrad in the mid 2000's went from age 18-25. This was due to U.S. delaying conception as a result of the university push, and overall career launching and whatnot.

I think this number is even worse now, due to jobs for all those university peoples being not enough to sustain a family (underemployment).

My answer is if you can support a family between age 18-24, go for it!
---

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:19 PM »
I'm 20 and if I got married or had a kid now, I'd flip a shit. I mean, I've been in a relationship for 2 years and that's great, but kids and marriage? lolno

Also, college is a thing.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »
Statistically, the later you have kids, the better their outcomes will be...parents who have kids later then to be more educated, have higher incomes, more ambitious careers, and higher socioeconomic status (since having kids early runs interference on all that).  All that leads to environments that are better for the kid's intellectual development (better schools, better childcare, increased emphasis on reading, more enrichment opportunities, etc.).  It's not predictive, but there's a good correlation.

And yeah, EB is right about people below about 25 not really knowing who they are...it may have been a bit later for me.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »
My parents married at 19, I was born when they were 21. My childhood wasn't the best, but overall in the grand scheme of things I was very lucky as many don't have as good of a childhood. My dad was attempting to make it as a musician but had two children by 25 and had to let go of those dreams. He says he wouldn't change anything now.

I'm 32 and am married with a child and see my friends who are childless do many of the things I wish I could do (buy a house, go on vacations, etc). I wish I had that ability. I hate paying rent. But I wouldn't trade anything about having a kid. And she can eat, go to school, dance class, and piano lessons.

It would be amazing emotionally but you have to make sure you are financially able to raise a child. We are making ends meet with a child. If you aren't self-sufficient, you have no business raising a child yet.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 10:04:33 PM »
And can't I still enjoy life with a husband and kids?  ;D
Well, no. Not because a husband and kid(s) would necessarily be a bummer. Because at any point in your life before you're old enough to really know who the hell this Angela character is you'll never be able to judge the prospects of Life A vs those of Life B. Married and/or parental life is always available down the road. The single and/or childless version is a one shot deal and once it's gone you'll no longer have the frame of reference to weigh A vs B.

And seriously, do yourself a favor. Copy the OP and your reply to me and email them to yourself. In a couple of years read them. You'll get a kick out of it. In fact, I'd bet you a bottle of Irish whiskey that the 15 year old Angela finds the 13 going on 14 year old Angela completely insufferable.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
Listen to El Barto. So much truth.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
Sure things!
It will be really interesting to see how my future self reacts to all this. ;D
Glad to be back.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »
I do cringe with posts I made a year ago :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 11:16:26 PM »

I cringe at posts I made today.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »

I cringe at posts I made today.

hearty lol.  Well done.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »
There are very few decisions in life that you just can't go back from, and having kids is the biggest one. I fathered early, and though I don't regret it, I wouldn't advise it either. Take your time, enjoy being an adult, travel, sleep around, bank some cash, make some regrettable life choices to learn from, then once you are a bit older and wiser,become a parent. Your little spawn will benefit from your added life experience I guarantee it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 01:05:26 AM »
I was thinking whilst reading this, kind of 'pre-posting' "Listen to Barto" and then saw Blob's post.  :lol Anyway, LISTEN TO BARTO!

I am 26 and am just now starting to think that I'm becoming 'me'. You're going to change so damn much it's not even funny. Think of it this way: At this point, your BODY isn't even close to becoming matured, and it won't be for a long time. That's just your physical self, the bare bones (no pun intended) of 'you'. For all we know about the human body at this point...even the most obsessed, knowledgeable people on the planet still know jack shit about the mind, emotions, and the real 'self' when you get right down to it. So just think with all the changes your body is going to go through...you're going to go through one hundred million fold of changes mentally, emotionally, intrinsically...it's not even worth thinking about at your point in life, is my own perspective on it. I say that very lightly, because of course it's worth thinking of, but talking big picture here...it really isn't. Chances are you won't even remember having this discussion (though I hope you will and hope we're all still here) by the time you're my age.

I myself thought I had my soul mate early on and now I don't even know if she is alive or dead (that's probably just because I don't do social media but my point stands). Keep in mind...it wasn't as if I was the guy who just randomly thought I was in love. I was the person that was in a committed, very mature (for our age) relationship for 8 years. Then we both actually grew up and it ended as quickly as it began. This was at the end of high-school, just to put things in perspective for you. But as Barto put it...if you're under the age of 25, you're a kid. You, little miss, are a pupa. Which is awesome! I grew up pretty early on in my life and have still probably seen and done things a lot of people won't ever see or do in their entire life. Even still, there's others out there that could say the same about me. Case in point: I STILL feel like a kid at heart. Maturing isn't all what it is cracked up to be and one day you'll know what I mean. So my advise is to focus on having fun and making mistakes (though not too much or too severe) and putting the maturity out of your mind. Mark my words, the moment you do actually mature will be the moment you slowly begin to start reminiscing the days of old.

There's some old saying about never knowing the best moments of your life while you're living them. All too true. Hindsight is 20/20. Er...if you stick around long enough you'll learn that pretty much all of my posts are novels so, sorry about that. I don't mean to lecture. However, having two younger sisters and a niece, my brotherly side is pretty much all I have in me anymore. Long, long story short: RUN AWAY FROM THE GUY WHO ASKS YOU TO GET MARRIED!  :lol But srsly...run. Run into the rainbows of life and away from the thunderclouds of marriage. Also listen to the song 'Marriage' by Devin Townsend, cause it's awesome and it's true and it's awesomely true. I'll say that I'm also highly biased because at 26, I still don't ever want marriage and after being in at least a handful of relationships that I thought were 'the one', I'm now learning that sometimes, for some people on this planet, marriage really is a horrible idea. For you, who knows? It may be your dream right now. You also very well could end up hating it more than I do when you're my age. Not even you can say because...we change SO much, as will you. Looks aside, if the me of yesteryear met the me of today, I'd not have a single thought that I was speaking to me...I...er...he...wait....AHHHHHHH *Time collapse*

I do hope you stick around as does this site and the robots running it because I would LOVE to revisit this thread with all the peeps posting in it a decade or so later. Our own little DT time capsule.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 06:28:49 AM »
Oh, I've seen her post out here. I just never noticed the "Angela" part before; what with me being borderline illiterate and all.

Dude you are anything but illiterate

@Tac: If it's pissing people of, I will apologize and stop creating new threads. Just say the words and I will gladly oblige.

Just kidding. :chill
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »
When I was young, getting married and having a family sounded awesome. It is awesome, but I spend a lot of time now wishing that I was young and single, or newly married again. You lose a ton of freedom having kids, which can be very frustrating at times. Just take advantage of being young. When the right person comes, get married if you want to. No reason to force it at such a young age. Make sure you've spent at least a couple of years in the real world out of school first.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »
I think 18 is ludicrously young to get married. If you have a kid the same year - when your kid is 18 - you're only 36.

Although I suppose the upside is - when they go off to college or whatever you're still pretty young.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
It's not only about age, but about life circumstance.

If after school one chooses not to go to college/university, it's possible to be in a pretty settled career/lifestyle by early 20s, in which case one might well be ready for marriage and family.

These days, as El Barto rightly says, most people find they are still learning all sorts of things about themselves throughout their 20s.

So the best advice I think would be don't rush it. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it until your 30s just because that's what most people do these days.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
It was my 37th yesterday and I still don't feel like i'm an adult  :biggrin: ( shock ).

Offline 425

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »
I'm in the process of puberty and a thought occurred to me. Would marrying and having kids early like 18-24 be too early? There's this guy and I, (A dream theater fan), that once was discussing about this. We both agreed that getting married and having kids early would be wonderful. Since I know some of you are already married or an adult, I wanted your opinion. Do you recommend marrying and having kids really early in life? Would be cool to be a mom.

I'm going to be another to say "don't do it," but as someone who's a little closer to your age (actually in the range you described for wanting to having kids) and can understand your interest in the idea.

So you know where this is coming from, I'm 19 and male—a second year university student.

To be straight up, when I was 13 I totally believed that I was ready to go out into the world. And I was probably right only in the strictest sense, that I probably wouldn't have died or anything. But emotionally, intellectually and developmentally, lolno. A lot happens just in the years 13-19, and as I'm sure others will testify, more happens in 19-25. As condescending as it sounds, you really only have a slight idea of who you are at 13. When I was 13 I wanted to go out into the world, but I didn't want to get married or have kids. Now, I do want those things... down the road.

As I said, I'm 19 now, and me having children right now would not be the best idea. For one thing, I'm not in the workforce yet. I don't have a solid means of income, and if I had a child, I would definitely have to drop out of college and work full-time in a job that does not require a degree. Which would probably be fine in the sense that nobody would outright die of starvation or disease, but still, far from the optimal situation, far from giving the best life possible for the child, which is the goal. I also think that I'm not fully an adult person yet, and could still change my mind about a lot of things. Another reason not to have a human being that is dependent on me at this time.

Up until a few months ago, the idea of having a child scared me. Recently (and this sort of scares me too), I've been finding that I'm interested in it, like in a serious way. I'll watch a movie where there's a family and a father, and I'll think, yeah, I want that at some point. But right now it would just not be a good idea. It would cut off my career (my career, and I'm male... imagine how it could be different for a woman) before it even begins and set me up with a long-term obligation before I'm even really out in the world yet.

If an accident happened, I'm sure it would work out somehow, probably as a result of help from my and/or her family (which is not really something I would like to ask them for). But I think my age is insanely young for marriage or children, because those are lifelong commitments, and I've been living away from home for just around a year. If I had a kid right now, I would be accepting a commitment to have another human being pretty much be entirely dependent on me for the same time span as I've been alive.

The arbitrary ages that exist as kind of lines in my head are don't get married before 25, don't have kids before 28. Those aren't hard and fast rules, but those seem like far better ages in terms of being mentally prepared for a long-range commitment to marriage or children (younger for marriage because obviously marriage preferably precedes children and because marriage is not a situation where one person is wholly dependent on the other).

I also don't even know who I would marry right now even if I wanted to marry someone. Not to be negative, but there's no guarantee that you'd even find someone you want to marry by the age you're talking about.

Tl;dr: You're 13, this isn't something to worry about yet, and no, don't expect to be married and having children when you're 18-24, and really probably don't do those things at those ages even if the opportunity is there. It would not be the best thing for you or for your hypothetical children.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »
Sometimes I think I'll end up like Steven Wilson, with a couple yet not ever having kids. But, what do I know of life or anything, honestly? Crazier things have happened.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:08 PM »
Obviously I don't have kids or anything (well for me that's obvious at the age of 20, apparently not for everyone), but I know a girl who has a two year old kid at the age of 19, now I'm not encouraging it per se, but she is one of the most caring people I've met, needless to say she acts more grown up, and you could debate whether that's a good thing at this stage, I'm not entirely sure.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »
Sometimes I think I'll end up like Steven Wilson, with a couple yet not ever having kids. But, what do I know of life or anything, honestly? Crazier things have happened.

Steven Wilson has a spouse?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF Enthusiast!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »
There are very few decisions in life that you just can't go back from, and having kids is the biggest one. I fathered early, and though I don't regret it, I wouldn't advise it either. Take your time, enjoy being an adult, travel, sleep around, bank some cash, make some regrettable life choices to learn from, then once you are a bit older and wiser,become a parent. Your little spawn will benefit from your added life experience I guarantee it.
That's all true. But let's say, what if instead having kids at that early age, I could marry early. I feel the marrying earlier is better. This may seem ludicrous, but I believe in marrying early because once you marry, you spend your entire life with your "soulmate." I feel like marrying at earliest (age 16), and latest (age 18), and just go through life, go through college forever. Maybe like you said, travel, sleep around, etc together, because it will help on the long run and just strengthen our relationship. There is this guy that I've known for quite a while (the guys I said I talked to about marrying early) and right now, it seems so real. It seems like we might have something going. And please don't make fun of me for this or anything, but honestly, I think marrying early is a great idea.

I was thinking whilst reading this, kind of 'pre-posting' "Listen to Barto" and then saw Blob's post.  :lol Anyway, LISTEN TO BARTO!

I am 26 and am just now starting to think that I'm becoming 'me'. You're going to change so damn much it's not even funny. Think of it this way: At this point, your BODY isn't even close to becoming matured, and it won't be for a long time. That's just your physical self, the bare bones (no pun intended) of 'you'. For all we know about the human body at this point...even the most obsessed, knowledgeable people on the planet still know jack shit about the mind, emotions, and the real 'self' when you get right down to it. So just think with all the changes your body is going to go through...you're going to go through one hundred million fold of changes mentally, emotionally, intrinsically...it's not even worth thinking about at your point in life, is my own perspective on it. I say that very lightly, because of course it's worth thinking of, but talking big picture here...it really isn't. Chances are you won't even remember having this discussion (though I hope you will and hope we're all still here) by the time you're my age.

I myself thought I had my soul mate early on and now I don't even know if she is alive or dead (that's probably just because I don't do social media but my point stands). Keep in mind...it wasn't as if I was the guy who just randomly thought I was in love. I was the person that was in a committed, very mature (for our age) relationship for 8 years. Then we both actually grew up and it ended as quickly as it began. This was at the end of high-school, just to put things in perspective for you. But as Barto put it...if you're under the age of 25, you're a kid. You, little miss, are a pupa. Which is awesome! I grew up pretty early on in my life and have still probably seen and done things a lot of people won't ever see or do in their entire life. Even still, there's others out there that could say the same about me. Case in point: I STILL feel like a kid at heart. Maturing isn't all what it is cracked up to be and one day you'll know what I mean. So my advise is to focus on having fun and making mistakes (though not too much or too severe) and putting the maturity out of your mind. Mark my words, the moment you do actually mature will be the moment you slowly begin to start reminiscing the days of old.

There's some old saying about never knowing the best moments of your life while you're living them. All too true. Hindsight is 20/20. Er...if you stick around long enough you'll learn that pretty much all of my posts are novels so, sorry about that. I don't mean to lecture. However, having two younger sisters and a niece, my brotherly side is pretty much all I have in me anymore. Long, long story short: RUN AWAY FROM THE GUY WHO ASKS YOU TO GET MARRIED!  :lol But srsly...run. Run into the rainbows of life and away from the thunderclouds of marriage. Also listen to the song 'Marriage' by Devin Townsend, cause it's awesome and it's true and it's awesomely true. I'll say that I'm also highly biased because at 26, I still don't ever want marriage and after being in at least a handful of relationships that I thought were 'the one', I'm now learning that sometimes, for some people on this planet, marriage really is a horrible idea. For you, who knows? It may be your dream right now. You also very well could end up hating it more than I do when you're my age. Not even you can say because...we change SO much, as will you. Looks aside, if the me of yesteryear met the me of today, I'd not have a single thought that I was speaking to me...I...er...he...wait....AHHHHHHH *Time collapse*

I do hope you stick around as does this site and the robots running it because I would LOVE to revisit this thread with all the peeps posting in it a decade or so later. Our own little DT time capsule.
Thank you for your answer! :D
But I do think I'm mature enough. :P
I don't possibly see how my body could change anymore. Can it? All I know is that I should grow a bit taller here and there and done! I think my brain is at least 95% developed fully and it's pretty close! The boy and I, it just seems so real. It seems that my future is just right there and it's just waiting for me to come. It's standing there with its arms wide open and it's just right there! Though, I've heard stories that some people who took that opportunity, sometimes it failed and they came out as depressed as ever. And hopefully I will stick around too. IT will be so nostalgic ten years later just to see what I wrote and I'll bet I'll be facepalming on some stuff.

When I was young, getting married and having a family sounded awesome. It is awesome, but I spend a lot of time now wishing that I was young and single, or newly married again. You lose a ton of freedom having kids, which can be very frustrating at times. Just take advantage of being young. When the right person comes, get married if you want to. No reason to force it at such a young age. Make sure you've spent at least a couple of years in the real world out of school first.
Hmm, what if I just thought of marrying? No kids yet and just marriage. Just marry that perfect guy, attend Dream Theater concerts together and all that nice stuff. And right now, I"m enjoying the benefits of being young and will continue that for like another 3 years before I might get married and then me and my boyfriend, or husband can explore the world together. We could stick by each other and help each other when we go through tough times.

I think 18 is ludicrously young to get married. If you have a kid the same year - when your kid is 18 - you're only 36.

Although I suppose the upside is - when they go off to college or whatever you're still pretty young.
What if a relationship develops from like 13 years old and I end up marrying at 18. Isn't five years in a relationship fulfilling enough? And yeah, staying pretty young when my kids are like 10 or 11 seems tight also.

It's not only about age, but about life circumstance.
If after school one chooses not to go to college/university, it's possible to be in a pretty settled career/lifestyle by early 20s, in which case one might well be ready for marriage and family.
These days, as El Barto rightly says, most people find they are still learning all sorts of things about themselves throughout their 20s.
So the best advice I think would be don't rush it. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it until your 30s just because that's what most people do these days.
Yeah, I'm saying this because I think the circumstances are just perfect. It just seems perfect. It's because currently, we go to the same school and we are thinking of going to the same university, getting the same career, etc. We also don't live too far apart (10 minutes on foot). We hang out most often together and he is really funny and makes me laugh. After all, his knowledge of Dream Theater sorta helps me. He just seems so perfect and *sigh* I could just look into his eyes forever~ ANYWAYS, just to stick to the topic, I have no means of rushing our relationship. If we start really soon, we can develop our relationship and our perfect life is paved right there for us.

I'm going to be another to say "don't do it," but as someone who's a little closer to your age (actually in the range you described for wanting to having kids) and can understand your interest in the idea.

So you know where this is coming from, I'm 19 and male—a second year university student.

To be straight up, when I was 13 I totally believed that I was ready to go out into the world. And I was probably right only in the strictest sense, that I probably wouldn't have died or anything. But emotionally, intellectually and developmentally, lolno. A lot happens just in the years 13-19, and as I'm sure others will testify, more happens in 19-25. As condescending as it sounds, you really only have a slight idea of who you are at 13. When I was 13 I wanted to go out into the world, but I didn't want to get married or have kids. Now, I do want those things... down the road.

As I said, I'm 19 now, and me having children right now would not be the best idea. For one thing, I'm not in the workforce yet. I don't have a solid means of income, and if I had a child, I would definitely have to drop out of college and work full-time in a job that does not require a degree. Which would probably be fine in the sense that nobody would outright die of starvation or disease, but still, far from the optimal situation, far from giving the best life possible for the child, which is the goal. I also think that I'm not fully an adult person yet, and could still change my mind about a lot of things. Another reason not to have a human being that is dependent on me at this time.

Up until a few months ago, the idea of having a child scared me. Recently (and this sort of scares me too), I've been finding that I'm interested in it, like in a serious way. I'll watch a movie where there's a family and a father, and I'll think, yeah, I want that at some point. But right now it would just not be a good idea. It would cut off my career (my career, and I'm male... imagine how it could be different for a woman) before it even begins and set me up with a long-term obligation before I'm even really out in the world yet.

If an accident happened, I'm sure it would work out somehow, probably as a result of help from my and/or her family (which is not really something I would like to ask them for). But I think my age is insanely young for marriage or children, because those are lifelong commitments, and I've been living away from home for just around a year. If I had a kid right now, I would be accepting a commitment to have another human being pretty much be entirely dependent on me for the same time span as I've been alive.

The arbitrary ages that exist as kind of lines in my head are don't get married before 25, don't have kids before 28. Those aren't hard and fast rules, but those seem like far better ages in terms of being mentally prepared for a long-range commitment to marriage or children (younger for marriage because obviously marriage preferably precedes children and because marriage is not a situation where one person is wholly dependent on the other).

I also don't even know who I would marry right now even if I wanted to marry someone. Not to be negative, but there's no guarantee that you'd even find someone you want to marry by the age you're talking about.

Tl;dr: You're 13, this isn't something to worry about yet, and no, don't expect to be married and having children when you're 18-24, and really probably don't do those things at those ages even if the opportunity is there. It would not be the best thing for you or for your hypothetical children.
Actually, it might be false, but I have a strong desire to either become a musician (a guitarist), or if that path doesn't work out, I could possibly be a marine biologist because I just love the ocean. What about marriage? Couldn't you, with the help of your wife, develop a steady income? Won't it be nice to have a soulmate pretty early? Have someone you can eat with, keep you company, go to the movies, sleep with, etc. For me, marriage and having kids don't scare me, but I feel very excited. Well, the prospect of having kids have died down after reading your posts, but the prospect of marrying the guy I love just rose up sevenfold. You have a point in saying about marriage being a lifelong commitment, but with the person you love very much, I can see that happening if you develop a relationship. Having a kid so early might be going too far, but marrying and being happy and exploring the world with your spouse seems so perfect for me. And yeah, there is someone right now that seems so perfect for me. The Dream Theater fan guy I talked about. His name is Blake, if you are wondering. Right now, it seems it's in my grasp.

Obviously I don't have kids or anything (well for me that's obvious at the age of 20, apparently not for everyone), but I know a girl who has a two year old kid at the age of 19, now I'm not encouraging it per se, but she is one of the most caring people I've met, needless to say she acts more grown up, and you could debate whether that's a good thing at this stage, I'm not entirely sure.
That's right. In order to take care of the kids, you have to have that maturity and that carefree-ness. That's the characteristic once must have in order to take care of a kid. Sure, they may be a pain in the behind, but you have to have that patience and that gets developed. Sorry about this. Many of you think that I'm like a crazed lunatic, but I am feeling this strongly right now some I'm sharing this.
Glad to be back.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »

Steven Wilson has a spouse?
Not sure if he's actually married, but I think he has a girlfriend or something. At least he had one during the Insurgentes times.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 09:13:24 PM »
It was my 37th yesterday and I still don't feel like i'm an adult  :biggrin: ( shock ).

I don't think of you as an adult either.

Nor myself.

Offline 425

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 10:03:37 PM »
Actually, it might be false, but I have a strong desire to either become a musician (a guitarist), or if that path doesn't work out, I could possibly be a marine biologist because I just love the ocean. What about marriage? Couldn't you, with the help of your wife, develop a steady income? Won't it be nice to have a soulmate pretty early? Have someone you can eat with, keep you company, go to the movies, sleep with, etc. For me, marriage and having kids don't scare me, but I feel very excited. Well, the prospect of having kids have died down after reading your posts, but the prospect of marrying the guy I love just rose up sevenfold. You have a point in saying about marriage being a lifelong commitment, but with the person you love very much, I can see that happening if you develop a relationship. Having a kid so early might be going too far, but marrying and being happy and exploring the world with your spouse seems so perfect for me. And yeah, there is someone right now that seems so perfect for me. The Dream Theater fan guy I talked about. His name is Blake, if you are wondering. Right now, it seems it's in my grasp.

I hate to be this person, because I don't like to feel like I'm being patronizing, but you did ask.

When I was 13, there was someone I thought I was in love with. I was very confident in it. Needless to say that didn't work out, because we were 13. We both changed so much that us being together today would be incomprehensible. We're 100% incompatible. We changed a lot in very different directions, because that happens between the ages of 13 and 18. There are probably plenty of others who have had similar experiences. What's more, what I thought was love when I was 13 is something that I have since realized was not love. See, when you're 13, the whole being romantically interested in people thing is very new to you still, and you don't really have the benefit of experiences that allow you to tell what is love and what is just a crush or infatuation.

A lot of what you name as good about being in a relationship are of course good things that are good to want. But you can do that without getting married, without rushing into a binding, lifelong legal contract (which is what marriage is). I know plenty of people my age who are in relationships and do a lot of what you describe, but would not get married this young. It's not either-or, either marriage or no relationship. You can have a fulfilling romantic relationship at a younger age that does not result in marriage.

I know it seems in your grasp right now, and I know it seems real and it seems like what I and others are telling you is wrong, that you will be the one to beat the odds. And I'm not going to outright say that you won't (because it's not 100% certain, and you wouldn't believe me anyway), but just know that everybody else who thought they had found the love of their life at age 13 also believed that they would beat the odds. I did.

I think my brain is at least 95% developed fully and it's pretty close! The boy and I, it just seems so real. It seems that my future is just right there and it's just waiting for me to come. It's standing there with its arms wide open and it's just right there! Though, I've heard stories that some people who took that opportunity, sometimes it failed and they came out as depressed as ever. And hopefully I will stick around too. IT will be so nostalgic ten years later just to see what I wrote and I'll bet I'll be facepalming on some stuff.

I know it feels that way (it did to me at 13), but biologically, your brain is not fully developed as a teenager. It actually is not finished developing until the age of 25 (source). That's a big part of why I'm not confident in making a specific lifelong commitment now, at the age of 19. I was fairly confident in it at 13, so maybe that was part of the maturity process for me between those years—I learned to be more critical of my own feelings.

I know it seems perfect at 13, but in many cases it isn't perfect. Or people change. It's just not something to bank on lasting forever starting at such a young age. Nothing wrong in enjoying the ride while it seems perfect now, of course! Just don't do anything rash that could potentially affect you in the long term.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Calvin6s

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 10:16:12 PM »
I'm going to say don't do it.  But I'm talking about older men giving relationship / lifestyle advice to a 13yo girl.    :D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
I basically came here to say what 425 just said. Your brain will NOT be fully developed for another 10+ years. More importantly, the part of your brain last to mature is the prefrontal cortex, which impacts your decision-making. This is science- I know you think you're mature and ready (so does everybody at 13), but these are the facts. You're not fully mature and your brain is not even done cooking yet. Therefore, IMO you shouldn't commit to hugely life-altering things like marriage and kids before then. Plenty of people do it and sometimes it works out just fine, but I don't see why you're in such a hurry. Oh right, puberty  :lolpalm:

Well, no. Not because a husband and kid(s) would necessarily be a bummer. Because at any point in your life before you're old enough to really know who the hell this Angela character is you'll never be able to judge the prospects of Life A vs those of Life B. Married and/or parental life is always available down the road. The single and/or childless version is a one shot deal and once it's gone you'll no longer have the frame of reference to weigh A vs B.

:tup

Out of curiosity, how many of the 25+ crowd here are living the exact life they wanted/expected as a teen and enjoying it?

If you asked me at 13 or even 18 where I was going to be in 15 years, I probably would have said "I hope to be an English teacher, married with 2-4 kids and living somewhere in the NJ/NY area."

Now I'm 30, a social worker for old/dying people, single and loving my non-monogamous life, on the fence about whether I ever want to get married/have kids, and living in CO.

The point is, things change. Keep an open mind and just live life. You don't have to do anything by a certain age, and you don't have to follow a particular path to be happy. I'm the queen of over-analysis so I get it, but try not to think so much and be where you are, in the present. "We can hope for the future, but there may not be one."  ;)
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
It really depends on who you are as a person. Me and my girlfriend are 22 years old and if we got married tomorrow, I would be happy. Grant it we've been together since we're 15 but still, we are both still very young and have our whole lives ahead of us. I just know that any upcoming life experiences will be better if I share them with her. As for having kids, that's something you should definitely wait to do until you're older. Once you're a parent, everything revolves around your children. You will miss out on so many great experiences in life if you have a child to early. Wait until you do everything else you want to do in life before you have any children.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
My aspirations change as I get older.

When I was 18 I wanted to be in a popular band and touring / recording / possibly producing.

Now i'm nearly 40 i'll settle for a nice house to myself by the sea with a job that I enjoy that pays well. . .