Author Topic: Def Leppard  (Read 13203 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Def Leppard
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:15 AM »
Joe is singing better than ever, IMO

...except when he goes into his upper register on All Time High and Blind Faith and engages "wet flannel stuck in the sinuses mode"  :-\ It's a shame about Blind Faith as the notes he goes for are absolutely right for the song but the delivery is weak, particularly compared to what he would've done with that in his youth.

I guess a combination of age, the kind of material he's been singing all these years, a certain amount of alcohol (and *cough* allegedly other things *cough*) and cigarette intake (I assume/hope he's long since given them up, but who knows) has taken its toll.

I don't disagree with what you wrote; I should have been more clear.  I don't think Joe is singing like he did on Hysteria, I just think he's finding the voice that suits him now.  Almost like Geddy Lee, he's finding a more midrange, tenor voice.  I actually thought that on Pyromania and in that era, he was the weak link in the band.  In later years, when I found out that he basically runs the show, I remember thinking "that explains a LOT!".   You compare him to the other "big name" singers that came out of England at that time (Dickinson, Halford, LeBon) and his tone and range left a lot to be desired. 

I kind of like that warm tone he's got now, like on Blind Faith.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Reviving this thread just to say that I think the song Man Enough is pretty solid.

Going to see them tomorrow and never even listened to the new album.  Checked out their setlist and saw they are only playing two songs (the rest are the classics).

Let's Go was terrible if you ask me.  Sounded like an attempt to sound like Pour Some Sugar on Me or bring back the glory days of the 80s.... but Man Enough is something different and really good.  Had to force myself to not turn off Let's Go, but I have just listened to Man Enough three times in a row now.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2016, 10:39:42 AM »
Saw them a couple weeks ago.  They sound excellent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
I'll say that when their latest album came out, I gave it a listen on Spotify, and actually thought it was decent (for them).
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »
I last saw them (and my only time) was in 2003 and they played a bunch of songs off of X and I remember the place just emptying during those songs, like huge rushes of people going to the bathroom and drinks.  I remember feeling bad for them, then they played the classics and the seats were all filled again and the place was rocking.  I'm guessing maybe that's why the set list only has 2 new songs and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again, but maybe that's why they open with one of the new songs (the worse one IMO) and then stick the other in between the classics.

edit, actually they are playing a third.  Dangerous, ill check that out soon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2016, 12:24:45 PM »
I suppose it's like any band; you have to have at least a general appreciation for them if you want to see them live, but I first saw them as an opening act on the first leg of the Pyromania tour (opening for Billy "Rock Me Tonite" Squier) and then saw them in 2014 open for Kiss and they are SO good live.  They all sing well, and they are strong players.  Even Joe Elliott - who I feared had irreparably blown out his voice - sounded very good. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:14 AM »
I think it's a crime that, on the actual 35th anniversary of High 'N' Dry the other night, something they were promoting on their own website, they did more songs from their new album than HnD.  Two songs from HnD!  That's just sad. 

And, who wants to hear them sing their version of "Rock On"?!?  Not a great song originally.  Not good when Michael Damian did it.  Not good when DL did it.  It's just a boring song.  Their set list could use some switching up.  They could easily lose "Rocket" and "Let's Get Rocked" (and maybe even "Love Bites") to throw in a nugget or two.  I mean, 6 out of 16 songs are from Hysteria.  I get it.  It was a huge album.  But, we don't need every radio single from it to be played.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2016, 07:12:40 AM »
I was slightly disappointed for not more High N Dry either from the set I read online.  My favorite album of theirs, but I didn't really expect much either.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
I was slightly disappointed for not more High N Dry either from the set I read online.  My favorite album of theirs, but I didn't really expect much either.
Ironically, the anniversary date for the album was the one day on the tour they decided not to do "Switch 625".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2016, 08:03:27 AM »
I dunno; Joe Elliott (who I believe runs that band, so to speak) is somewhat realistic (read: cynical/jaded) about the music business.  He's basically seen most of his bands material summarily ignored over the past 15 years, so that setlist is almost EXCACTLY what I would expect from them.   

I don't think he can credibly sing most of HnD now, anyway, and let's face it, the setlist wasn't that different when I saw them in 2014 (the only difference were the three new ones and Rock On added and Two Steps Behind dropped), and the fans reacted to those songs.  Armageddon it, the place went NUTS.  "Bringin'..." started acoustic and ended electric (and had Switch 625) and from that point on, it was a hitfest and the crowd reflected that.   

May not be my favorite, but as a general proposition, the band gave the people what they wanted.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2016, 08:06:56 AM »
I dunno; Joe Elliott (who I believe runs that band, so to speak) is somewhat realistic (read: cynical/jaded) about the music business.  He's basically seen most of his bands material summarily ignored over the past 15 years, so that setlist is almost EXCACTLY what I would expect from them.   

I don't think he can credibly sing most of HnD now, anyway, and let's face it, the setlist wasn't that different when I saw them in 2014 (the only difference were the three new ones and Rock On added and Two Steps Behind dropped), and the fans reacted to those songs.  Armageddon it, the place went NUTS.  "Bringin'..." started acoustic and ended electric (and had Switch 625) and from that point on, it was a hitfest and the crowd reflected that.   

May not be my favorite, but as a general proposition, the band gave the people what they wanted.

He sung the High N Dry stuff fine on the Hysteria Blu Ray (but maybe he could not do this night in/out), but I think the second part is what nails it.  The classics are what the majority go to see, not the deep cuts.  Even the new songs will likely be duds to the crowd I'd imagine (as I experienced beforewith DL) so I don't blame them too much for playing what the people want to hear.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »
Just for kicks, I looked back to the setlist for the first time I saw DL in concert, 1987 on the Hysteria tour. 

8 songs from Pyromania
6 from Hysteria
3 from High 'N' Dry
+ "Tear It Down" (wasn't even released yet except as the b-side of the "Women" single)

Much better than when I saw them a year later on the same tour.  2 guitar solos were added at the expense of HnD songs.  "Tear It Down" was dropped, as was "Run Riot".

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
The classics are what the majority go to see, not the deep cuts.  Even the new songs will likely be duds to the crowd I'd imagine (as I experienced beforewith DL) so I don't blame them too much for playing what the people want to hear.
This is the main reason I'm skipping tonight's show.  Unless they're doing some deep tracks, I've seen them 3 times (the last time was in 2012), I don't need to hear slowed-down or tuned-down versions of "Photograph", "Foolin'" and "Animal" live.  If they were gonna bust out "Mirror, Mirror" and "Another Hit and Run", I'd be there with bells on.  But, I get it.  It's tougher to play the older stuff.  Plus, they need to cater to the masses, not the smaller collection of die hards who want to hear album tracks.  I can't fault them for that.  It just makes me sad more than anything.  It means they're getting older, I'm getting older.  Ugh!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
Tickets are cheap though, should just go if you can.  I'll be there, got a free ticket.  :metal

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
Tickets are cheap though, should just go if you can.  I'll be there, got a free ticket.  :metal
I'm actually heading down to Wildwood tonight to meet up with the family for the rest of the week.  I was thinking of hitting the show on my way down.  And, I'd love to see Tesla again.  But, I don't want to get down to WW at 1am.  Especially to hear the same songs that've been in the setlist forever.

Some good news I saw this morning that's semi-DL related...  The Riverdogs are definitely recording a new album to come out next year.  That means Vivian will actually get to play some guitar soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
Yea, Wildwood is no fun to drive to after a concert late at night

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
I actually like their new album (much better than Sparkle Lounge even though I wish they put at least 1 old school High N Dry song on it and some more high pitched vocals)

Never saw them in concert but am tempted especially since Tesla is playing with them

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »
I hope Tesla sounds decent.  Not to color your opinion, but they haven't sounded good in years, from what I have heard.  The years have not been kind to JK's voice at all, so they tune down a lot of songs, and one some, it noticeably sucks the energy out of them.  It's a shame, too.  They are definitely one of my favorite '80s bands.  But either way, it is cool seeing those two bands touring together again, since it is basically a reunion of the Hysteria/Mechanical Resonance tour. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »
I hope Tesla sounds decent.  Not to color your opinion, but they haven't sounded good in years, from what I have heard.  The years have not been kind to JK's voice at all, so they tune down a lot of songs, and one some, it noticeably sucks the energy out of them.  It's a shame, too.  They are definitely one of my favorite '80s bands.  But either way, it is cool seeing those two bands touring together again, since it is basically a reunion of the Hysteria/Mechanical Resonance tour. 

I won't be making it in time to see Tesla so I won't be able to tell you how they sound, but I do believe Cozmo saw them and enjoyed them at one of the previous shows.

Also REO Speedwagon is playing so the tour is really a threesome of 80s bands.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2016, 02:41:18 PM »
I think Bosk is referring to the fact that Def Lep and Tesla toured together in 1987.
Saw that tour!!!

By 1987, REO pretty much jumped the shark.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »
Yeah, it's a shame about Tesla.  His voice is pretty ragged out.  Their first four albums are awesome.  I like the stuff they've put out since they came back with 'Into The Now'.  However, all their songs since then are all stuck in 1st gear.  They're all the same tempo, for the most part.  It's like they forgot how to really rock out.  They're a far cry from that band I saw open for DL back in '87.  They're still one of my favorite rock bands from the 80's-90's.  Undeservingly, they were lumped in with all the "hair metal" bands but had way more talent than just about any of those bands.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
  They're a far cry from that band I saw open for DL back in '87.  They're still one of my favorite rock bands from the 80's-90's.  Undeservingly, they were lumped in with all the "hair metal" bands but had way more talent than just about any of those bands.

They did too many tours with Poison! I also saw them open for DLR in Jan of '87.

There was nothing hair metal about them. They were a lot closer to Aerosmith/UFO than any hair band.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2016, 08:45:03 AM »
Sick concert.

I feel like such a lucky guy too, right before I was about to leave for the concert I got a phone call from my brother's best friend.

"Hey, uhh do you know this band... def... leppard?"

His parents have 4 VIP season tickets for the PNC Bank Arts Center.  No one was using the tickets, I stopped by and he gave them to me on my way over.  I had an entire row of 4 seats dead center about 20 rows out.  Amazing view.  I asked why he called me cause it seemed so random and his response was awesome, "I remember when we were kids at your house you had a Def Leppard shirt" and he is so right about that  :lol

The show was really good, the visuals were AMAZING.  The sound was PERFECT.  I think we might have gotten an extra song, we got all three new songs plus Switch 625.  Also so many people left before the encore, I asked the usher next to me if I could go stand in all the open seats up front, his response "I didn't see anything"  :lol  Got up to maybe the 6th row for the encore!

Here's my clips from the night if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuEPwEg5Qpc

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »
Last time they came was with Styx, it was a great show. Now its with REO I'll probably be at the merch or in the beer line. I'll still check them out though.

Def Leppard will definitely kick ass. They did last time and Dangerous was the highlight for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2016, 11:06:53 AM »
All personal preference and taste, but I'm more apt to hit the beer line for Styx than REO.  I think it depends on what album hit you; I didn't really like the operatic style of some of Dennis DeYoung (though The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight are very strong records) and Hi Infidelity was on constant rotation for a period of about a year.  "Take it on the run, babay, if that's the way you want it, baba-ay, then I don't want you arou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ou-ound..."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2016, 11:18:37 AM »
I saw Styx with REO and Survivor in 2001.  It was a killer show.  Last time I saw DL was when they opened for Billy Squire.  I think 1983/84.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
Feb or March '83.

Joe, you didn't see any of the Hysteria shows. They came around a bunch of times

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »
Saw that show too.  Killer (Billy too). 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2016, 11:01:08 AM »
Feb or March '83.

Joe, you didn't see any of the Hysteria shows. They came around a bunch of times

83 then.  Years blur together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2022, 09:18:38 AM »
New single Kick

Def Leppard return with their twelfth full-length album, Diamond Star Halos, on May 27th, 2022

Offline T-ski

« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2022, 10:12:59 AM »
New single Kick

Def Leppard return with their twelfth full-length album, Diamond Star Halos, on May 27th, 2022

Thought I was listening to Joan Jett there for a second.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2022, 10:21:29 AM »
I think Let's Get Rocked is the last song I've enjoyed from Def Leppard.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2022, 10:33:42 AM »
I think Let's Get Rocked is the last song I've enjoyed from Def Leppard.

"White Lightening" is on that record...it's my all-time favorite Def Lep track! :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2022, 10:47:25 AM »
Question for you guys into Def Leppard, how "live" is their show? Compared to DT for example? Is Joe singing everything without artificial assistance? Thanks.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2022, 11:05:29 AM »
Question for you guys into Def Leppard, how "live" is their show? Compared to DT for example? Is Joe singing everything without artificial assistance? Thanks.

The band is surprisingly ‘live,’ aided by the fact that they all sing and harmonize. Phil, Viv and Sav can all straight up sing. Joe is rocky, no different than James, but I’ve always been impressed by his ability to hit the notes that matter.