Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207338 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)
« Reply #7140 on: January 22, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
German Review...
https://powermetal.de/review/review-Dream_Theater/The_Astonishing,27540.html

As far as my German go, I could see three main points:

1. The album is different from others.
2. Labrie is amazing.

Well duh...
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7141 on: January 22, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »
Honestly have to say, that the first album by CM is the only one I really checked out, the second one I heard about 9-10 times, maybe. I haven't heard Nine, but I am listening to Last Goodbye now.
What does IIRC mean?

It means "if I remember correctly".

Offline OleMP

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #7142 on: January 22, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
Dunno if this means anything yet, but they didn't put MoB in the second video slot on the website...

You are correct.  And I know what is there.  :)

The next Star Wars movie?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #7143 on: January 22, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
It's the album's deleted scenes

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #7144 on: January 22, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
Dunno if this means anything yet, but they didn't put MoB in the second video slot on the website...

Dunno how I missed this reply, can you give us any info about what will go there?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7145 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »

Dunno how I missed this reply, can you give us any info about what will go there?

Yes ! :)

On January 29.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7146 on: January 22, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »

Man, I wish Rudess would get better patches. His synthstrings still sound awful here.

I'm pretty sure JR said in an interview that he mostly played piano and organ on the album, so when you hear strings, that's an orchestra playing, not JR...
okay, new question

why does the orchestra sound like JR's synthstrings

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7147 on: January 22, 2016, 12:30:13 PM »
I for one think the last 3 months have flown by! Just thinking back to when all of this started with the distortion of the DT12 album art. We were told that the path will soon divide, and in the corner we got our first small glimpse of a NOMAC. Now, we're just 1 week away from release day! Whilst it's been mildly frustrating on occasion, the promo campaign has been enjoyable. And unpredictable. Who, in October, would have thought we'd end up with a 34-track album? All our perceptions of what a DT album should be were wiped away, week by week.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7148 on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:54 PM »

Man, I wish Rudess would get better patches. His synthstrings still sound awful here.

I'm pretty sure JR said in an interview that he mostly played piano and organ on the album, so when you hear strings, that's an orchestra playing, not JR...
okay, new question

why does the orchestra sound like JR's synthstrings

:lol No clue man, I don't hear it like that, I was just letting you know what I heard in an interview. I think it was the JP/JR Trunk interview.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7149 on: January 22, 2016, 12:35:13 PM »
Whilst it's been mildly frustrating on occasion, the promo campaign has been enjoyable. And unpredictable. Who, in October, would have thought we'd end up with a 34-track album? All our perceptions of what a DT album should be were wiped away, week by week.

That's what I loved the most. Showing the tracklist bit by bit was a clever idea.

First 5 tracks appear.... "Mh, will it be 5 for both acts?"
Tracks double to ten... "Ok, this is it for the first act, maybe 10 songs each? double album then?"
Tracks go to 14 if I remember correctly... "Wow!!! double album for sure! how many of these will be one minute interludes?"

And from then onwards it was just time to call the WTF police and wonder where it all would have led  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7150 on: January 22, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »

The second video leaked!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mY9J2Z57Y
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7152 on: January 22, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »

The second video leaked!

I want hear a song about teh river
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Wubbagubba

« Reply #7153 on: January 22, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
Wow, one reviewer states pretty affirmatively TA won't be his top favorite by DT, and another says they've come extremely close to topping SFAM. My hype is reaching new levels.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #7154 on: January 22, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »
Why MOB isn't available as a single for purchase?

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #7155 on: January 22, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »

The second video leaked!

When I clicked the link, my first thought was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #7156 on: January 22, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
The newest MOB that posted on Youtube has MUCH better quality and sounds just like TGOM which puts my mind at ease.  Although I don't love the song the dynamics and sound are good.   

The beginning is beautiful and the Great Debate part is cool.   Petrucci's solo kicks ass.  Mangini's playing was really being hampered by the low quality versions that first came out.  He sounds good on the high quality version.

The biggest problem of this song is the chorus is just bad and the song just doesn't seem to fit Labrie.   The only time the chorus is kind of serviceable is the part after the solo when they slow it down.     

Glad that the sound quality is still good though.... that was really scaring me.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7157 on: January 22, 2016, 02:09:43 PM »
I thought the chorus along with the intro and the instrumental parts were the only good things.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:19:13 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #7158 on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »
Didn't really like the MOB the first few listens but its really grown on me now and I love it - especially the chorus which is stuck in my head at the moment. Cant wait for the album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7159 on: January 22, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
Sweet Child O' Mine is widely considered by GNR as a filler and is hated by Slash...

Becomes band's most famous song ever.

As joe Walsh once said of Rocky Mountain Way, "if I'd known I would have to play this song for the rest of my life, I'd have probably written something else"  :biggrin:

Offline lightbug

« Reply #7160 on: January 22, 2016, 03:06:51 PM »
2 things:

1 - Bosk: (in MOB) what would be that riff you mentioned?
2 - Almost any piano sound that I have sounds much better that the piano recorded in The Astonishing. Besides that, the song is amazing!

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #7161 on: January 22, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
2 things:

2 - Almost any piano sound that I have sounds much better that the piano recorded in The Astonishing. Besides that, the song is amazing!
Point 2. That's a pretty bold claim - prove it! ;-)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7162 on: January 22, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
in what universe is 6:00 better than voices?    :lol :lol

Someone else's subjective, valid opinion.

Yup.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7163 on: January 22, 2016, 03:57:14 PM »
I also like 6:00 better than Voices.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

« Reply #7164 on: January 22, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »
I also like 6:00 better than Voices.

Me too.

Offline lightbug

« Reply #7165 on: January 22, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
2 things:

Point 2. That's a pretty bold claim - prove it! ;-)

haha I'm just saying that the piano sound could be better, maybe is the final mix or something like that, for me sounds very patched, the end of illumination theory sounds better IMHO, what do you think?

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #7166 on: January 22, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »
DT just posted on Facebook about a collaborative spotify playlist, checking it out now  :tup

Offline thosava

« Reply #7167 on: January 22, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »
Does the album release fill your thoughts all the time too? Not a single hour goes by without me thinking about the album. The wait is getting pretty hard by now. In one week i'll have listened to the album about 2-3 times, but right now it feels like it's a year away

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7168 on: January 22, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
I've resisted fairly easily so far, but now that it's a week away I'm starting to really want to listen to it. I'm not obsessing over it, but as with every kind of waiting, the more it's about to end the more it's hard... but also sweeter in a sense, hehe!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #7169 on: January 22, 2016, 04:38:53 PM »
Does the album release fill your thoughts all the time too? Not a single hour goes by without me thinking about the album. The wait is getting pretty hard by now. In one week i'll have listened to the album about 2-3 times, but right now it feels like it's a year away

That's all?  :rollin

Seriously though, it's very hard to wait. I have been keeping myself busy with some bands I discovered around Christmas and some of the dt stuff I've listened to less though.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #7170 on: January 22, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
i'm not even going to be done with my christmas haul by the time the astonishing comes out so i'm perfectly fine with the wai  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #7171 on: January 22, 2016, 05:36:47 PM »

For me, waiting for this feels the same as waiting for baseball season to start.  The closer it is, the longer it feels.  6 more days?  Ugh!

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #7172 on: January 22, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
I love the odd time signature after the first chorus. It's almost dissonant, which is so different it's killer.

The cool thing is, that's actually 4/4 the whole way through, but in "Never leave a man behind", they subdivide it differently. Not sure what the musical term for it is, but the entire verse is in 4/4.
It's Metric Modulation, CMIIW  ;D
Since Mangini era, you can hear a lot of  this metric modulation. And yes, it just like the tempo of the song suddenly change
In Outro Moment of Betrayal (outro that used in trailer) you can hear this metric modulation again. It's still 4/4 with Original tempo but we feel like the tempo is suddenly change  :D

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7173 on: January 22, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
It's Metric Modulation, CMIIW  ;D
Since Mangini era, you can hear a lot of  this metric modulation. And yes, it just like the tempo of the song suddenly change
In Outro Moment of Betrayal (outro that used in trailer) you can hear this metric modulation again. It's still 4/4 with Original tempo but we feel like the tempo is suddenly change  :D

It works brilliantly within the song.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #7174 on: January 22, 2016, 06:02:38 PM »
Am I only one who heard some sort of reference to The Gift of Music in the guitar solo of Moment of Betrayal? That chord transition around 4:19 really sounds like the one around 2:31 of TGOM.

Maybe I am just reading too much into it.  :lol

Actually, I thought this myself when listening just yesterday.

The other one I was racking my brain over, was that the outtro sounded like I had heard something similar before. It dawned on me its very similar to the last couple of seconds of the outtro of the live version of 'Finally Free' from BTFW. Might be pure coincidence, might've been inspired by, might've been a taste of things to come. Either way, while I liked MoB on the first couple of listens, its a grower, and now I think it's fucking amazing  :tup