Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200913 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6300 on: January 17, 2016, 03:09:47 AM »
While being mostly a metalhead, I'm all about great songs first and foremost, regardless if they're fast or slow.

Take Nightwish for example, their album Imaginaerum - it has a jazz song (Slow, Love, Slow) that has nothing to do with the rest of the album or their entire discography but it's so damn good that I like it. It will be the same with the new album, if there are many slower songs and they're all great, so be it! I look forward the most to the WTF moments, the tango / swingjazz stuff, the bagpipes, all the crazy insanity that I love to find here and there in records (another example, Unia from Sonata Arctica... a total mindfuck of an album, many hate it, I consider it one of their very best. Sometimes with an estabilished band it's fun to just not know what's coming next).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6301 on: January 17, 2016, 03:11:53 AM »
When reading the last few posts I tried to ask myself which side of DT I like best. I don't know really. I mean, I like the heavier side, but they have a lot of lighter stuff that I love as well, so I think I'll be fine.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6302 on: January 17, 2016, 03:18:26 AM »
Personally I've never been a metalhead. I am a fan of Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and some other metal bands, but it's never been my favourite genre. My interest in metal has diminished over the years, and it's pretty much at an all time low by this point. So if this album has less metal than their previous couple of albums, it's all fine by me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6303 on: January 17, 2016, 03:19:20 AM »
I'm all about great songs first and foremost, regardless if they're fast or slow.

Take Nightwish for example, their album Imaginaerum - it has a jazz song (Slow, Love, Slow) that has nothing to do with the rest of the album or their entire discography but it's so damn good that I like it. It will be the same with the new album, if there are many slower songs and they're all great, so be it! I look forward the most to the WTF moments, the tango / swingjazz stuff, the bagpipes, all the crazy insanity that I love to find here and there in records (another example, Unia from Sonata Arctica... a total mindfuck of an album, many hate it, I consider it one of their very best. Sometimes with an estabilished band it's fun to just not know what's coming next).

Now this I can agree with.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6304 on: January 17, 2016, 04:00:00 AM »
Anyway, it's kinda Astonishing that they haven't realeased a new track yet (out of 34).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6305 on: January 17, 2016, 04:21:23 AM »
If they wanted, we'd have gotten a second song instead than a trailer.

I guess they want to emhasize the whole "One big pic of work" concept.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6306 on: January 17, 2016, 04:35:16 AM »
Even the reviews that are being called negative are praising James' work. This is really exciting. I wonder if this will turn out to be his best or at least top 3 or 5 post accident.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6307 on: January 17, 2016, 04:36:06 AM »
While being mostly a metalhead, I'm all about great songs first and foremost, regardless if they're fast or slow.

I love how your examples are so Finnish! :tup
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline palmeiras

« Reply #6308 on: January 17, 2016, 04:41:19 AM »
I love ballads, I love heavy songs, I love crazy instrumental shred section, I love experimental music, I love mix styles with diferent instruments. Só i think i will love the astonishing

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6309 on: January 17, 2016, 04:42:14 AM »
It's funny because while I love soft stuff, with regards to Finland I always turn to the heavier and wackier stuff like Finntroll, Moonsorrow, CoB... Other than that, it's all glorious folkiness to me. Korpi, Turisas...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6310 on: January 17, 2016, 05:27:17 AM »
If you are a Dream Theater fan, you love all their sides. That's what always drawn me to them.  The diversity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6311 on: January 17, 2016, 05:28:36 AM »
It still surprises me how many people (the majority, it seems) respond either positively or negatively to "less metal". Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I guess I thought more people (certainly here) would be less bothered about genre/style.

Οr maybe it's just a matter of balance, and giving all the members of the band a chance to shine. More dynamics in terms of the music is also interesting. And of course, it's something different than the previous albums as it seems, so change is interesting as well.
Well of course, balance, diversity and something new are all things that interest me too. But I don't think those have anything to do with "less metal" or "more metal".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6312 on: January 17, 2016, 05:51:11 AM »
When bands do the same style over a long career fans complain.   This is the only band that people bitch about diversity.   It makes me giggle.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6313 on: January 17, 2016, 06:05:57 AM »
It still surprises me how many people (the majority, it seems) respond either positively or negatively to "less metal". Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I guess I thought more people (certainly here) would be less bothered about genre/style.

It doesn't surprise me...

Sadly, I think many fans (not me) are going to complain about the lack of metal on this record...
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6314 on: January 17, 2016, 06:07:07 AM »
Same the other way as well, lots are excited about it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6315 on: January 17, 2016, 06:26:50 AM »

I'm somewhat a recent ran. Been following the band before Black Clouds was released. This is the most excited I have ever been for a Dream Theater record.

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6316 on: January 17, 2016, 06:38:04 AM »
Even the reviews that are being called negative are praising James' work. This is really exciting.

That encourages me a lot.
Whether the instrumentals are good or not, you're going nowhere without exciting vocals.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #6317 on: January 17, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »

Me included. I'm a true MUSIC lover. Therefore, DT die hard fan.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6318 on: January 17, 2016, 07:41:03 AM »
So if you're not a DT die hard fan you don't love music?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6319 on: January 17, 2016, 07:44:46 AM »
So if you're not a DT die hard fan you don't love music?

Fuck music man. I just like DT.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #6320 on: January 17, 2016, 07:50:01 AM »
Even the reviews that are being called negative are praising James' work. This is really exciting.

That encourages me a lot.
Whether the instrumentals are good or not, you're going nowhere without exciting vocals.

The tour has 3 consecutive shows a few times.  Hoping that James' voice holds up without a days rest.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6321 on: January 17, 2016, 08:28:35 AM »
Yup, I actually get a third show in a row, hope that won't make such a difference...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6322 on: January 17, 2016, 08:44:16 AM »
The more I read, the more it feels like The Wall, which is good.

I'm excited for the NOMAC tracks and Dystopian Overture.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline thosava

« Reply #6323 on: January 17, 2016, 09:24:41 AM »
Yup, I actually get a third show in a row, hope that won't make such a difference...
I'm a bit worried too. I'm going to the third show in Oslo.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6324 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:11 AM »
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.metalhammer.it/interview.aspx/1179/dream-theater-il-track-by-track-di-the-astonishing/&prev=search

Another track-by-track from Metal Hammer Italy.  This a live review so he's only heard it once.

"They have no intention of sciropparsi metal castings steaming"

What does that mean?! And is it different from whahibrido pickingant?!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6325 on: January 17, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.metalhammer.it/interview.aspx/1179/dream-theater-il-track-by-track-di-the-astonishing/&prev=search

Another track-by-track from Metal Hammer Italy.  This a live review so he's only heard it once.

Tordenperle krall. Literally.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6326 on: January 17, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
Sciropparsi sounds like the fancier man's whahibrido.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6327 on: January 17, 2016, 09:51:36 AM »
It means "they haven't got any intention of bathing in molten metal anymore"

meaning : Y U NO HEAVY DT
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6328 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:31 AM »
I took the courage of reading this review and oh man... that's the first review where the author sounds like a whining kid. One of the lines basically reading: "THIS IS NOT DT, WHERE IS MY DT"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #6329 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »

Ma la verità è secondo me un'altra: i DT sono ormai rispettabili musicisti di 50 anni e passa l'uno. Non hanno più intenzione di sciropparsi colate di metallo fumante, i loro gusti sono cambiati, i loro ascolti lo sono. Dobbiamo arrenderci all'evidenza, questo disco ci consegna una band di mostruosi professionisti dello strumento, che veleggiano serenamente verso i sessant'anni.

"But in my opinion the truth is another: DT are at this point respectable musicians each over 50 years old. They aren't willing to put up with castings of fuming metal anymore, their tastes changed, and so has what they listen to. We need to surrender to the evidence, this disc gives us a band of terrific professionals of their instrument, peacefully sailing towards their sixties."
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6330 on: January 17, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »
Naw, Sciropparsi is like Magnum. Whahibrido is Blue Steel.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6331 on: January 17, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »

Sorry to spoil the fun by translating but the verb comes from the italian word for syrup, sciroppo. It means having to put up with something that bores you, like you would "syrup down" a movie you don't care for but your girlfriend wants you to see it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6332 on: January 17, 2016, 10:04:52 AM »

Ma la verità è secondo me un'altra: i DT sono ormai rispettabili musicisti di 50 anni e passa l'uno. Non hanno più intenzione di sciropparsi colate di metallo fumante, i loro gusti sono cambiati, i loro ascolti lo sono. Dobbiamo arrenderci all'evidenza, questo disco ci consegna una band di mostruosi professionisti dello strumento, che veleggiano serenamente verso i sessant'anni.

"But in my opinion the truth is another: DT are at this point respectable musicians each over 50 years old. They aren't willing to put up with castings of fuming metal anymore, their tastes changed, and so has what they listen to. We need to surrender to the evidence, this disc gives us a band of terrific professionals of their instrument, peacefully sailing towards their sixties."
:lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6333 on: January 17, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »

Sorry to spoil the fun by translating but the verb comes from the italian word for syrup, sciroppo. It means having to put up with something that bores you, like you would "syrup down" a movie you don't care for but your girlfriend wants you to see it.

So you're saying he wanted more Whahibrido?....  ;D

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6334 on: January 17, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »

Either your translation sucks or the writer has no idea what he's talking about.   :lol   I'm leaning more towards the latter.