Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207137 times)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6265 on: January 16, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
It's not corny/cheesy straight up radio type stuff, just beautiful softer stuff. They're like short epic ballads, I guess?

In the vein of Meat Loaf maybe? would love that! piano was all over Meat Loaf's songs but it doesn't mean they were all sappy ballads.

I'm not familiar with Meat Loaf to compare them. I'm reminded more of stuff like Medicate (Octavarium) or The Bigger Picture than say AFTR. It's not predictable cliche pop ballads, it's softer arrangements.

Medicate is one of my top favorite softer stuff DT has ever done, so this is great.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6266 on: January 16, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
Agreed, medicate is just great. Good news, that's just the kind of soft DT parts I really like. The Bigger Picture was the highlight for me in DT12. Love that vibe.

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6267 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »

I guess it comes down to tastes again, but I really don't think Haven was very good, more like ranging from great (Fallen Star, Citizen Zero) to good (Insomnia, Veil of Elysium) to painfully mediocre (Revolution, Under Grey Skies, End of Innocence), and there also was Beautiful Apocalypse that I skip every time I spin the album now.

Couldn't disagree more, especially for Beautiful Apocalypse.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6268 on: January 16, 2016, 11:00:59 AM »
However, why does it have to be over? It still sounds crazy so I happen to be super curious about it, even more so if it is natural and we have good reason to believe.
Exactly. For me, I don't care if they used effects or not; it doesn't lower my opinion of the song, album, or James at all. I'm just really curious how, if it was natural, that sound was created because I have never heard any human sound like that without any effects.
At this point I've gotten so used to it that I just treat it as part of the song, but it still interests me regardless.

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #6269 on: January 16, 2016, 11:07:24 AM »

I guess it comes down to tastes again, but I really don't think Haven was very good, more like ranging from great (Fallen Star, Citizen Zero) to good (Insomnia, Veil of Elysium) to painfully mediocre (Revolution, Under Grey Skies, End of Innocence), and there also was Beautiful Apocalypse that I skip every time I spin the album now.

Me too. Under Grey Skies is actually one of my favorite ballads of 2015 believe it or not.. absolute magic hearing Charlotte and Tommy duke it out with each other during that last chorus. Total Broadway material and I love it haha.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6270 on: January 16, 2016, 11:15:17 AM »

Me too. Under Grey Skies is actually one of my favorite ballads of 2015 believe it or not.. absolute magic hearing Charlotte and Tommy duke it out with each other during that last chorus. Total Broadway material and I love it haha.

Well, to each their own. Under Grey Skies is absolutely bland compared to the great ballads Kamelot released earlier, like Sailorman's Hymn, Abandoned, So Long and from the recent ones Song of Jolee and Falling like the Fahrenheit; and Beautiful Apocalypse, well, I get the "apocalypse" part but I can't see how it's beautiful at all. One of my least favourite songs from Kamelot overall.

Anyway, don't let me to sway the thread away from DT discussion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6271 on: January 16, 2016, 11:23:45 AM »
Less than 2 more weeks.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #6272 on: January 16, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
However, why does it have to be over? It still sounds crazy so I happen to be super curious about it, even more so if it is natural and we have good reason to believe.
Exactly. For me, I don't care if they used effects or not; it doesn't lower my opinion of the song, album, or James at all. I'm just really curious how, if it was natural, that sound was created because I have never heard any human sound like that without any effects.
At this point I've gotten so used to it that I just treat it as part of the song, but it still interests me regardless.

Thank God I'm not alone, thought maybe I was the one who was crazy  :D
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6273 on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:48 PM »
That Metal Hammer review is hilarious on Google Translate. (https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.metalhammer.it/interview.aspx/1179/dream-theater-il-track-by-track-di-the-astonishing/&prev=search)

"Rudess, you will pay dearly..." 

EDIT: sorry for the double post, can't find the delete button..

This review seems written by some angry metal fanboy. Jesus.

Seriously, for some reason, people like to hate on DT in my country especially. Even with metalheads there is always something to complain. I don't get it...
The Metalitalia and Metal Hammer review come across as  pretty close-minded and that's quite embarassing. It gets childish at some point.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:54:17 PM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6274 on: January 16, 2016, 02:01:08 PM »
Same here man. It seems in fashion. I guess their awesomeness makes these ppl feel bad about themselves and their favourite band!  :xbones
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6275 on: January 16, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
The term "ballad" is misused a lot now anyway, as some will call any DT song that doesn't rock or prog out a ballad.   For example, Along for the Ride is a song that is more mellow than not, but I wouldn't call it a ballad.  Ballad usually are supposed to refer to slower love songs, not just any slower song.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6276 on: January 16, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
Best quote?

"and the voice of James trying to make the woman,"  :biggrin:

I like the sound of this album, even though the guy was bashing it. Lots of melody? Piano? Violin? Count me in. I don't need wall to wall metal and this sounds like a nice departure. I'm not overwhelmed by the setting and the pics and maps and shit, even though I like all that in my fiction, but yeah, I'm thinking this is going to be great.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6277 on: January 16, 2016, 02:16:27 PM »
That Metal Hammer review is hilarious on Google Translate. (https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.metalhammer.it/interview.aspx/1179/dream-theater-il-track-by-track-di-the-astonishing/&prev=search)

"Rudess, you will pay dearly..." 

EDIT: sorry for the double post, can't find the delete button..

This review seems written by some angry metal fanboy. Jesus.

Seriously, for some reason, people like to hate on DT in my country especially. Even with metalheads there is always something to complain. I don't get it...
The Metalitalia and Metal Hammer review come across as  pretty close-minded and that's quite embarassing. It gets childish at some point.

As a fellow italian, I think the main reason they hate current DT is simply that they're not old DT or Portnoy DT... they just don't expect them to change like every progressive band ever... living in the past as usual.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6278 on: January 16, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
As a fellow italian, I think the main reason they hate current DT is simply that they're not old DT or Portnoy DT... they just don't expect them to change like every progressive band ever. Living in the past as usual.

100% this.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6279 on: January 16, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »
Less than 2 more weeks.

:metal

I'm also looking forward to the new Megadeth album which is less than a week now (and wanting to listen to the new Rhapsody of Fire, which came out yesterday). 3 awesome weeks in a row.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6280 on: January 16, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
The term "ballad" is misused a lot now anyway, as some will call any DT song that doesn't rock or prog out a ballad.   For example, Along for the Ride is a song that is more mellow than not, but I wouldn't call it a ballad.  Ballad usually are supposed to refer to slower love songs, not just any slower song.

Agreed, AFTR to me is more of an anthem.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6281 on: January 16, 2016, 02:55:37 PM »
So having read the track-by-track, I'm super hyped. Not sure if the review is bad per se, but it's clear that the reviewer wanted more metal. I'm calling this Octovarium pt 2. Seems like it's gonna be softer generally than anything they've done with MM, but that's ok. From the trailer there seems to be some fairly heavy stuff. I'm glad the reviews are calling it different than anything they've done in a while. Change is good. Less :bnb: and more :zydar:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6282 on: January 16, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »

I disagree with that. Nowadays it is associated with slow love song by many due to pop music, but the term ballad actually stems from a form of poetry with a sentimental/melancholic narrative (see definition). And that form of poetry set to music is also referred to as a ballad. I am no expert on this subject or anything, nor would I know what to call a ballad or not exactly. But as far as I am concerned, most slower love songs are ballads, but not all ballads are slower love songs.

But, as with all genre/classification discussions, a lot of it is highly subjective. And cultural, offcourse (especially since many languages have the word in some form, but possibly with slightly different meanings). And I maybe think the word is used in different ways (one way refers to the lyrical content, the other to the music itself?).

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #6283 on: January 16, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
Ballad usually are supposed to refer to slower love songs, not just any slower song.

Endless Sacrifice is therefore Dream Theater best ballad :neverusethis:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6284 on: January 16, 2016, 03:50:07 PM »
It does seem that those two negative reviews are pretty hung up on the fact there's not as much metal to this album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6285 on: January 16, 2016, 03:53:55 PM »
And we'll see a lot more of those.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6286 on: January 16, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »
Absolutely. You've been the messenger of that particular piece of info for weeks now.

Based on the comparisons, I'm thinking my favorite album being SDOIT should make me like this new one immediately.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline palmeiras

« Reply #6287 on: January 16, 2016, 06:25:36 PM »
How many ballads, how many heavy and how many heavy/ ballads in TA?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #6288 on: January 16, 2016, 07:22:20 PM »
You mean power ballads, right?..

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dream_theater/the_astonishing/

Someone can confirm if these are the final tracklenghts?..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6289 on: January 16, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »
yes.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #6290 on: January 16, 2016, 08:49:40 PM »
yes.

Yes they are or yes you can confirm it?.. :lol

So... Noxon, call me n00b or as you like, but I couldn't find this information anywhere: who are you specifically?.. How are you related to the band?..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6291 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:49 PM »
yes.

So... Noxon, call me n00b or as you like, but I couldn't find this information anywhere: who are you specifically?.. How are you related to the band?..

You can trust him. No need to be afraid, but I'd say look in the listening Party thread,unless you don't want spoilers. Which isn't much considering what's been said.

We all need to listen , and I'm ready to engage in this lovely Rock Opera
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #6292 on: January 17, 2016, 02:46:02 AM »
Less metal is good. JR being a main force in this record also sounds great. I'm still curious about JLB's singing, it seems to be praised in almost any review, something that i'm not used to reading. In general this albums seems like it's a lot less JP (or at least metal JP) and more of a collaborative thing.

Still curious about the rhythm section, on TGOM it was ok, but not so impressive.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6293 on: January 17, 2016, 02:48:19 AM »
The main thing that I'm looking forward to after being exposed to tidbits of music in the trailer is Our New World, that solo sounds SO good, and I've only heard 2 seconds of it.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6294 on: January 17, 2016, 02:49:22 AM »
yes.

He is all 5 of their grandmas.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6295 on: January 17, 2016, 02:54:08 AM »
It still surprises me how many people (the majority, it seems) respond either positively or negatively to "less metal". Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I guess I thought more people (certainly here) would be less bothered about genre/style.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6296 on: January 17, 2016, 02:56:22 AM »
It still surprises me how many people (the majority, it seems) respond either positively or negatively to "less metal". Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I guess I thought more people (certainly here) would be less bothered about genre/style.

You'd think so, but I find a lot of prog fans seem to be biased against metal, or anything that deviates slightly from vanilla prog. It's not as if metal means suddenly the song can't be good or melodic or balanced.

I don't care whether it's metal or not, as long as it's good. TGP is one of my favourite DT songs, but so is Hollow Years.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #6297 on: January 17, 2016, 02:58:02 AM »

Οr maybe it's just a matter of balance, and giving all the members of the band a chance to shine. More dynamics in terms of the music is also interesting. And of course, it's something different than the previous albums as it seems, so change is interesting as well.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6298 on: January 17, 2016, 02:59:10 AM »
I don't give a crap about how metal the new album is.

I know a guy that only and I mean only listens to Metal.

He scores albums on how "heavy" they are.

And is excited by a band's new album if " they said it was heavier than before !!!! "

:) I'm a fan of songs and melody. If it has both of those then I don't care if it's metal or not.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6299 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:46 AM »
yes.

I am the head of the fan club.