Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200873 times)

Offline pcs90

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6230 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:55 PM »
I wouldn't call that review negative, just not as excited by it as everyone else seems to be...and it seems like he was pretty confused by a lot of sections too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6231 on: January 15, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
People keep mentioning a spoiler.

If there is one, DON'T MENTION IT IN THIS THREAD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6232 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
I'd say that it's poorly written, it just talks about the structure without giving away the actual vibe of the song.

here's the first part of the translation, it's not that perfect, but it's kinda late.

edit: ninja'd again. I must be slow or something.

edit part 2: now the link should work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:02:37 PM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #6233 on: January 15, 2016, 04:42:47 PM »
ok. u r very graet DTF. the fans around the world needs ur idea aboaut DT arcives

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6234 on: January 15, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »
Please do not do that again.  The thread is already long enough as it is.  The nonsense posts have been deleted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6235 on: January 15, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
Please do not do that again.  The thread is already long enough as it is.  The nonsense posts have been deleted.

Thanks. I apologize for taking the bait. :)

Offline Paintbox

« Reply #6236 on: January 15, 2016, 05:08:26 PM »
Actually there's not even need to write and post translations, english-italian and italian-english google translations are very reliable.
Anyway, reading the comments on Metalitalia I don't understand why DT had to add two dates in Milan, they all seem to hate them, those who follow DT apparently don't comment.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #6237 on: January 15, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »
Actually it doesn't seen unnatural to me even the note sequence....two close instances I found are

Wait for sleep - Palm of her hand to my head

Metropolis - The city's cold blood teaches us to survive

maybe not the same notes but the same kind of drop.

I listened to both of you suggestions. I cannot stress enough how much I don't care if Dream Theater used manipulation or not, all I'm saying is that the way he sings "time" sounds absolutely mental and unnatural to my ears. Maybe it is real, but it's still weird. The examples you gave sound nowhere near as extreme as the "time" in question.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6238 on: January 15, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »
This has probably been thought of before, but the band only said no vocal effects were used. So, this doesn't exclude the possibility that there were 2 recordings that were spliced together in the middle of a word, right?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6239 on: January 15, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »
This has probably been thought of before, but the band only said no vocal effects were used. So, this doesn't exclude the possibility that there were 2 recordings that were spliced together in the middle of a word, right?
Possible, but the way it was explained to me is that it is exactly how James sang it, which implies that what we are hearing on that part is a single take that James did naturally (which is what I hear).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #6240 on: January 15, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
Actually it doesn't seen unnatural to me even the note sequence....two close instances I found are

I listened to both of you suggestions. I cannot stress enough how much I don't care if Dream Theater used manipulation or not, all I'm saying is that the way he sings "time" sounds absolutely mental and unnatural to my ears. Maybe it is real, but it's still weird. The examples you gave sound nowhere near as extreme as the "time" in question.

Come on DTF, you're STILL arguing over this??
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6241 on: January 15, 2016, 07:45:13 PM »

You seem surprised.  :\

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #6242 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:47 PM »

You seem surprised.  :\

Oh Natalie  ;)  :heart It shouldn't be, but after trailer I would expect these hippies' attention to be on that but it's DTF....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:37:39 PM by Pragmaticcircus »
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Slipknot

• Fuck it all, fuck this world!!!
  • I AM THE GREAT BIG MOUTH!!!
« Reply #6243 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:56 PM »
Our next album will be twice as big as The Astonishing and we'll make a movie with it too!
Now JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!!!  :metal
PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKING AIR AND JUMP DA FUCK UP MOTHERFUCKER!!

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6244 on: January 15, 2016, 09:29:20 PM »
No more gift of music voice processing Nazi's   :censored

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6245 on: January 15, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
I bet 5 years from now people will  still be discussing "tiiiime".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6246 on: January 15, 2016, 10:45:33 PM »
I find reading this subforum somewhat bewildering. People talk about the greatness of the people before having heard it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6247 on: January 15, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »
Here it comes.   "those two notes in the apreggio JP played were on millionth of a hertz out of tune"

Online Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6248 on: January 15, 2016, 11:10:17 PM »
If there's one thing
You remember
Remember, I tried.

JLB Rules!  :metal
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #6249 on: January 16, 2016, 09:15:15 AM »
I bet 5 years from now people will  still be discussing "tiiiime".

What I find weird is since I've pitched in, I've stated several times that I have no agenda. I just want to know how it sounds like it does and nobody has given me a real answer. I'm not accusing the  band or being liars, and even if some effects were used I wouldn't care because I'm not snobby about that.

What I do find bewildering is that some people in this forum seem to be in complete denial that it sounds and weird and unnatural as it clearly does to many other people, and as soon as it's brought up they're shot down in flames because some of you have decided the conversation is over.

However, why does it have to be over? It still sounds crazy so I happen to be super curious about it, even more so if it is natural and we have good reason to believe.

I saw my West End friend last night but we were having too much of a good time for me to ask him about. I will follow this up though, so if it's annoying to any of you the best thing that you can do is ignore the conversation and let those of us who want to discuss it get on with it.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6250 on: January 16, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
I never heard anything wrong with time. And it doesn't bother me at all.

Although , my friend said he heard some pitch correction in The Shattered Fortress "I am ready, HELP me be" I was like really couldn't notice until live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #6251 on: January 16, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »

Offline erciccio

« Reply #6252 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.metalhammer.it/interview.aspx/1179/dream-theater-il-track-by-track-di-the-astonishing/&prev=search

Another track-by-track from Metal Hammer Italy.  This a live review so he's only heard it once.

This is the most negative so far.
Very similiar to the metalitalia one...
The guy was hoping for more traditional DT (!!) and for more metal, and complains for the too many ballads.

He appreciates the second disc more than the first, very good work by James and 6-7 great song, but overall negative vibe.

But reading the comments from some of his friends/ collegues, looks like they were expecting him to write something like this...

Sounds full of the traditional "let's bash DT" prejudices..

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 09:58:29 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6253 on: January 16, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
Sounds full of the traditional "let's bash DT" prejudices..

On the Spazio Rock review one of the comments said that it would have been astonishingly boring and that he thought that DT ran out of creativity after SFAM, he was basically horrified at the idea of sitting through 34 songs... I mean... why even bothering with listening to DT anymore if it's 15 years that they let you down?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6254 on: January 16, 2016, 09:57:02 AM »
Too many ballads is never a bad thing.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6255 on: January 16, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.metalhammer.it/interview.aspx/1179/dream-theater-il-track-by-track-di-the-astonishing/&prev=search

Another track-by-track from Metal Hammer Italy.  This a live review so he's only heard it once.

I've known Pippo for a long time. He used to be quite reliable but in the last couple of years he changed a lot his musical tastes, I don't trust him anymore :D
He also disapproved Kamelot's last album which was very good indeed.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6256 on: January 16, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »

I've known Pippo for a long time. He used to be quite reliable but in the last couple of years he changed a lot his musical tastes, I don't trust him anymore :D
He also disapproved Kamelot's last album which was very good indeed.

I guess it comes down to tastes again, but I really don't think Haven was very good, more like ranging from great (Fallen Star, Citizen Zero) to good (Insomnia, Veil of Elysium) to painfully mediocre (Revolution, Under Grey Skies, End of Innocence), and there also was Beautiful Apocalypse that I skip every time I spin the album now.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6257 on: January 16, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
I think Haven is the best one since Epica actually... about the review, being italian I read it, it's clear that the reviewer was expecting something else, not so many soft moments and so little "prog metal". I think having too many expectations on a certain direction can hinder your enjoyment of something, at least from these review I know the first act is kinda slow so I won't be annoyed or preoccupied by the lack of heavy stuff!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6258 on: January 16, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »
And here you see directly why I have said the things I've said. Why I've been so adamant about stating that people should not expect a metal album.

I think this will be the reaction many have when they first hear the album - especially the people who prefer later DT.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6259 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11:25 AM »
I think Haven is the best one since Epica actually... about the review, being italian I read it, it's clear that the reviewer was expecting something else, not so many soft moments and so little "prog metal". I think having too many expectations on a certain direction can hinder your enjoyment of something, at least from these review I know the first act is kinda slow so I won't be annoyed or preoccupied by the lack of heavy stuff!

The Black Halo was the best since Epica.

Carry on.

Edit: oh, also, come to Polls / Survivors sub-forum if you want to and join the upcoming Kamelot survivor. The link to the thread is in my signature.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6260 on: January 16, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »
Unless you have some instant revulsion at the mere thought of a ballad, it's not a bad thing at all.
There's variety within the ballads, with heavier sections, guitar leads/solos, orchestral stuff, and there are sections with just piano/acoustic/vocals. It's not corny/cheesy straight up radio type stuff, just beautiful softer stuff. They're like short epic ballads, I guess?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6261 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
I like soft Opeth and I like heavy Opeth. I like soft DT and I like heavy DT.

It looks like I'm im for a treat!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6262 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »
Unless you have some instant revulsion at the mere thought of a ballad, it's not a bad thing at all.
There's variety within the ballads, with heavier sections, guitar leads/solos, orchestral stuff, and there are sections with just piano/acoustic/vocals. It's not corny/cheesy straight up radio type stuff, just beautiful softer stuff. They're like short epic ballads, I guess?

I totally love ballads and posts like these are increasing my faith in this album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6263 on: January 16, 2016, 10:14:20 AM »
It's not corny/cheesy straight up radio type stuff, just beautiful softer stuff. They're like short epic ballads, I guess?

In the vein of Meat Loaf maybe? would love that! piano was all over Meat Loaf's songs but it doesn't mean they were all sappy ballads.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6264 on: January 16, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
It's not corny/cheesy straight up radio type stuff, just beautiful softer stuff. They're like short epic ballads, I guess?

In the vein of Meat Loaf maybe? would love that! piano was all over Meat Loaf's songs but it doesn't mean they were all sappy ballads.

I'm not familiar with Meat Loaf to compare them. I'm reminded more of stuff like Medicate (Octavarium) or The Bigger Picture than say AFTR. It's not predictable cliche pop ballads, it's softer arrangements.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.