Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207610 times)

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6195 on: January 15, 2016, 07:13:11 AM »

Track by track review...in Italian! :)
https://spaziorock.it/speciale.php?&id=dream-theater-track-by-track-the-astonishing-2016
Sound very promising!

Jesus, things are getting more exiting by the minute here! (If someone is interested to a good translation just say the word.)

word

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6196 on: January 15, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
:soon:
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6197 on: January 15, 2016, 07:18:18 AM »
I put that Italian review through Translate. I'm really excited now! 2 weeks to go!

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6198 on: January 15, 2016, 07:42:54 AM »
I'm italian and I read carefully that review. Sounds promising, of course there's a lot of ballads but it's inevitable, we're talking about 34 tracks. I like the idea of a musical, I do love the circus-oriented themes, I love JL playing different characters... don't know if I will love that Disney stuff..... Didn't quite catch what the reviewer means.....

So the "all metal" thing is related to one or a couple of tracks (no big issue, in my opinion). Most of tracks seems to have an epic a/o symphonic sound and that IS DEFINITELY good.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6199 on: January 15, 2016, 08:04:55 AM »
I'm pretty pumped after that (google translated) Italian review. It is caressed by the first solo of Petrucci, indeed.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #6200 on: January 15, 2016, 08:16:20 AM »
I know this could go around and around in endless circles, but what James' voice does in that small moment ("time") is not easy to duplicate. No way in hell. If it is - somebody please upload a youtube video of them doing it cos I can't believe that until I see it.

Sorry, but that's just a ridiculous claim.

If it is - then I'm sure someone on the internet will prove me wrong. I'll ask some of the professional singers I know to give it a go, actually I'm seeing a guy tonight who's about to London to star in a West End show. If he says it's possible then I'll apologise in full.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #6201 on: January 15, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
Actually the second Italian review (metallitalia) is not that good, but is clearly written by a guy that loves TRUE METAL "Manowar-style".. :metal
:metal and loves SFAM

He liked the second part much more than the first, because in the first parts there are too many ballads and no True Metal
And he complains that some songs are not as good as finally free or the spiriti carries on...

But even in this generally negative attitude, there are many positive things that come out anyway..:)

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6202 on: January 15, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »
Actually it doesn't seen unnatural to me even the note sequence....two close instances I found are

Wait for sleep - Palm of her hand to my head

Metropolis - The city's cold blood teaches us to survive

maybe not the same notes but the same kind of drop.
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6203 on: January 15, 2016, 08:46:34 AM »
Man, I love latin languages. My native portuguese was enough to unerstand most of that review :)

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #6204 on: January 15, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »
Everyone's a sound engineer in this thread...

That section everyone is going nuts over sounds unaltered to me... sounds just like his voice dropping down a tone (is that the right terminology?). Doesn't sound altered at all to me.

Plus what reason would they have to lie?

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6205 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »

That section everyone is going nuts over sounds unaltered to me... sounds just like his voice dropping down a tone (is that the right terminology?). Doesn't sound altered at all to me.

Yea and why would JLB (who averaged 6 takes per line on SC!) let this go and be altered when he can easily change the melody a bit and sing it to perfection?

EDIT : Dunno if suggested earlier......He could have used the UAGM 'Time'! ;)

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #6206 on: January 15, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »

Yea and why would JLB (who averaged 6 takes per line on SC!) let this go and be altered when he can easily change the melody a bit and sing it to perfection?

EDIT : Dunno if suggested earlier......He could have used the UAGM 'Time'! ;)

The argument isn't about how JLB delivered the line. He would have liked the take. The argument is that someone in post messed up what was probably supposed to be a minor correction. People have been mentioning Melodyne, but I just had a thought - what if it was meant to be a comp of takes, and for some reason they comped two different takes of the word time? Just a thought...

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #6207 on: January 15, 2016, 09:29:25 AM »
Does anyone already posted this track by track?! This site is always negative when it has to review a DT album...
BIG SPOILER INSIDE!!!
https://metalitalia.com/articolo/dream-theater-the-astonishing-traccia-per-traccia/

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6208 on: January 15, 2016, 09:34:02 AM »
Please discuss it in the other Listening Party thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6209 on: January 15, 2016, 10:15:12 AM »
If it is a review that is not from the listening party, then it belongs in this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #6210 on: January 15, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
These next two weeks are going to feel really long for me.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #6211 on: January 15, 2016, 10:37:22 AM »
If it is a review that is not from the listening party, then it belongs in this thread.
Yes, it's a review from an Italian website/magazine, I think it's the right thread.. The listening party in Italy is gonna take place on Tuesday...

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6212 on: January 15, 2016, 10:40:15 AM »

Sorry, You're right. The only way to avoid any spoilers mild or otherwise is to not read any media at all and that's not possible for me! So bring it on.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #6213 on: January 15, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Does anyone already posted this track by track?! This site is always negative when it has to review a DT album...
BIG SPOILER INSIDE!!!
https://metalitalia.com/articolo/dream-theater-the-astonishing-traccia-per-traccia/
I like how they have each track broken down.  Another review referred to each song but just in the context of the paragraph.

WOW!  Trying to read through how they describe each track, the transitions, references to previous DT songs etc. is really hard to take in.  And I've only gotten through Act 1.  I've only got 3 months to get through this before the concert.  I might not be ready :)

I am really, really excited!

Offline Gappie

« Reply #6215 on: January 15, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
BIG SPOILER INSIDE!!!
I like how they have each track broken down.  Another review referred to each song but just in the context of the paragraph.

WOW!  Trying to read through how they describe each track, the transitions, references to previous DT songs etc. is really hard to take in.  And I've only gotten through Act 1.  I've only got 3 months to get through this before the concert.  I might not be ready :)

I am really, really excited!
Yes it was a very interesting read!  going to see them within a month in Amsterdam. Cant wait!

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6216 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »
don't know that guy from Metalitalia but his review expresses all the limits of die-hard DT fans: the fear of changing.
In my opinion, after all these years (and after 2-3 bad albums) it's time for a change, it's time to listen to something fresh and new. I've really had enough of all those angry guitar riffs.

I'm much more optimistic now.

Offline mikeyd23

Offline TL

« Reply #6218 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
don't know that guy from Metalitalia but his review expresses all the limits of die-hard DT fans: the fear of changing.
In my opinion, after all these years (and after 2-3 bad albums) it's time for a change, it's time to listen to something fresh and new. I've really had enough of all those angry guitar riffs.

While I'm always up for them trying something new, I definitely wouldn't call the last two albums bad. They may not have been to your liking, but a lot of people, myself included, thought ADTOE and DT were pretty good.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #6219 on: January 15, 2016, 11:40:22 AM »

Sorry, You're right. The only way to avoid any spoilers mild or otherwise is to not read any media at all and that's not possible for me! So bring it on.
If I could go back I would not read this track by track. There's a big spoiler about the plot. I think it's wrong when you're writing reviews of albums like this to anticipate important events of the story!! :facepalm:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6220 on: January 15, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »
The 85 in 2285 is because the band was formed in 1985. JP actually said the word 'nugget'.

8/5. 5/8. Octavarium Part II confirmed.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #6221 on: January 15, 2016, 11:42:51 AM »

While I'm always up for them trying something new, I definitely wouldn't call the last two albums bad. They may not have been to your liking, but a lot of people, myself included, thought ADTOE and DT were pretty good.

I was a little concise before, I did refer to Systematic Chaos and BC&SL (and a little bit to TOT). Last two very records are good indeed.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6222 on: January 15, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
Nice interview with JP there.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #6223 on: January 15, 2016, 01:04:32 PM »
Actually it doesn't seen unnatural to me even the note sequence....two close instances I found are

Wait for sleep - Palm of her hand to my head

Metropolis - The city's cold blood teaches us to survive

maybe not the same notes but the same kind of drop.

I was watching the trailer again yesterday, and when the narrator says "But now..." around 0:32, it's the same thing there as well. Again, it's just a bit of vocal fry entering on a slide down.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6224 on: January 15, 2016, 01:05:06 PM »
I was ninja'd on reddit, someone translated it before I completed mine, so what the thell https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/412xu1/spoiler_trackbytrack_review_in_italian/

EDIT: this is actually the translation of the BAD review. I'll do the good one ,then  :metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline rab7

« Reply #6225 on: January 15, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »
I was ninja'd on reddit, someone translated it before I completed mine, so what the thell https://www.reddit.com/r/Dreamtheater/comments/412xu1/spoiler_trackbytrack_review_in_italian/

EDIT: this is actually the translation of the BAD review. I'll do the good one ,then  :metal

I thought so. It looked nothing like the google translated one that I read. Thankfully, he didn't include the spoiler that people keep mentioning

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6226 on: January 15, 2016, 01:27:56 PM »

Honestly, I didn't feel this review as bad. Just not as excited as the other ones. I get that he prefers the heavier parts, but he did give praise to James on the quiet parts. Didn't really sound negative to me as some people are implying.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #6227 on: January 15, 2016, 01:39:13 PM »

Honestly, I didn't feel this review as bad. Just not as excited as the other ones. I get that he prefers the heavier parts, but he did give praise to James on the quiet parts. Didn't really sound negative to me as some people are implying.

Maybe even the negative ones will in some ways be "positive". There is no denying the impressive effort and energy channeled into creating this (IMO potential masterpice) of an album. Thus acknowledgement might be given even when the music is not at the personal level of preference.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #6228 on: January 15, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »
If I understood this right, the review mainly complains about a lack of songs in the vein of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus.
For me, this is actually a positive surprise. I expected the opposite based on the track lengths, I expected a lot of songs like Wither, Forsaken and I walk beside you.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #6229 on: January 15, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
If I understood this right, the review mainly complains about a lack of songs in the vein of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus.
For me, this is actually a positive surprise. I expected the opposite based on the track lengths, I expected a lot of songs like Wither, Forsaken and I walk beside you.
Let me just say that TA is nothing like those songs you mentioned.