Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200948 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6160 on: January 15, 2016, 02:52:19 AM »
Maybe monday.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #6161 on: January 15, 2016, 03:05:09 AM »
Due to the delay until March, any speculation as to what the bonus gift will be for those of us that purchased the box sets?

Some of this artwork would make really nice prints.

Offline CoT67

« Reply #6162 on: January 15, 2016, 03:10:18 AM »
Italian interview to JP : https://issuu.com/italiandreamers/docs/ytseitalia_-_intervista_petrucci_co/1

I've read a couple of pages... JP says that Gabriel is like Jesus Christ for the inhabitants of Ravenskill (a little city) and they call him "The Astonishing".. However this word is not referred only to him...

Other things JP said in the interview:
- He started writing the story in the summer of 2013, before any music.
- He and JR started writing music in November 2014.
- They wrote the music mainly as a soundtrack to the story, but some songs can be appreciated by themselves, out of context.
- They consciously made the choice of revealing bit by bit of the album and concept and not until very late into the recording-producing phase to build up hype and keep it interesting.
- Every song talking about a character has its own kind of sound to it (character themes?).
- Live they will have some sort of scenography built by a third-party company, to accompany their performance.
- There may be a live DVD with a real choir and orchestra in the future. On this tour the choir and orchestra will only be part of the movie on the stage screens (backing tracks confirmed?).
- The interviewer asked him about doing the DVD in Italy, he said it would be a great place to do that ("The Astonishing Live in Milan" FTW!  :biggrin:).
- He loved the drum mix and sound in the last album, but he says this time around the snare is much better and whoever didn't like it in DT12 will like it this time. He thinks there can't be a better drum sound than the one in The Astonishing, since they focused much more on it.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6163 on: January 15, 2016, 03:27:28 AM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6164 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:50 AM »
Maybe monday.

George R.R. Noxon
:lol

EDIT: Also worth noting the "RR" initials and their relevance to the word "Soon".

:soon:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #6165 on: January 15, 2016, 03:57:27 AM »
They're coming...

https://gofleye.com/

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6166 on: January 15, 2016, 04:00:35 AM »
LOL! No(Mac) Fly zone...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline majo

« Reply #6167 on: January 15, 2016, 04:20:33 AM »
Italian interview to JP : https://issuu.com/italiandreamers/docs/ytseitalia_-_intervista_petrucci_co/1

I've read a couple of pages... JP says that Gabriel is like Jesus Christ for the inhabitants of Ravenskill (a little city) and they call him "The Astonishing".. However this word is not referred only to him...

- They wrote the music mainly as a soundtrack to the story, but some songs can be appreciated by themselves, out of context.
- They consciously made the choice of revealing bit by bit of the album and concept and not until very late into the recording-producing phase to build up hype and keep it interesting.
- Every song talking about a character has its own kind of sound to it (character themes?).
- Live they will have some sort of scenography built by a third-party company, to accompany their performance.
- There may be a live DVD with a real choir and orchestra in the future. On this tour the choir and orchestra will only be part of the movie on the stage screens (backing tracks confirmed?).
- The interviewer asked him about doing the DVD in Italy, he said it would be a great place to do that ("The Astonishing Live in Milan" FTW!  :biggrin: ).
- He loved the drum mix and sound in the last album, but he says this time around the snare is much better and whoever didn't like it in DT12 will like it this time. He thinks there can't be a better drum sound than the one in The Astonishing, since they focused much more on it.
well... that sounds intriguing but then i play tgom and it's just  ???
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6168 on: January 15, 2016, 04:37:14 AM »
Maybe monday.

George R.R. Noxon
:lol

EDIT: Also worth noting the "RR" initials and their relevance to the word "Soon".

:soon:

Lol, we're so multi-layered here.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6169 on: January 15, 2016, 04:42:33 AM »
If you want to speed up the launch, write me a 4000 word biography of DT from the beginning till today, without plagiarising any other sources (quotations are fine). And a 2000 word biography of each member, current and past.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #6170 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:17 AM »
The drums going up and down during the unison section of TGOM is amazing. MM's unique setup allows him to hit one tom at a time during a run.
There's a unison in TGOM? o.O

The unison is short, but it starts around 3:16
I didn't realize it that part has keyboards, thought it's only guitar
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #6171 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:46 AM »
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #6172 on: January 15, 2016, 04:52:24 AM »
Tracklengths on RYM are correct...
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dream_theater/the_astonishing/

I told you guys that I were sure in our calculations. In your face, non-believers in statistics :p
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6173 on: January 15, 2016, 05:02:06 AM »

- The interviewer asked him about doing the DVD in Italy, he said it would be a great place to do that ("The Astonishing Live in Milan" FTW!  :biggrin: ).
well... that sounds intriguing but then i play tgom and it's just  ???
It's totally fine for me. It's very dry, so it's not the snare you usually hear in a metal album, where they usually go for a fat sound. Also, Mangini's drumming is precise as hell and it might give the sensation of a less "dynamic" sound, as some have said, but I think it's just his style of playing (it was confirmed that no trigger has been used, if I remember correctly) and saying it sounds like a "drum machine" is totally out of place IMO. I think that many people are complaining not for the fact that "all they can do is complaining" as someone has said, but just because it's different from what they're used to, from what they expect. But sure it has nothing to do with the snare from DT12.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #6174 on: January 15, 2016, 05:04:23 AM »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline The Astonished

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #6175 on: January 15, 2016, 05:04:38 AM »
So, i found the track lenghts here:

*snip*

Source: Rateyourmusic.

I don't know if it's official.

They're ballpark, but they're mostly wrong.

This is what happens when you rely on sneaky pie charts.

Not according to Blob...  ???
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #6176 on: January 15, 2016, 05:05:20 AM »

- The interviewer asked him about doing the DVD in Italy, he said it would be a great place to do that ("The Astonishing Live in Milan" FTW!  :biggrin:).

Thanks for the translation! Without backing tracks for the choir and orchestra the songs live may not sound as good.  This is my only concern about the live show.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6177 on: January 15, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »
So, i found the track lenghts here:

*snip*

Source: Rateyourmusic.

I don't know if it's official.

They're ballpark, but they're mostly wrong.

This is what happens when you rely on sneaky pie charts.

Not according to Blob...  ???

They're all close, so the calculations were right, but unless the CD is slightly different lengths to what I've got (which is possible), some of these are 5-10 seconds off, probably due to the precision of the measurements. Maybe my copies are cut slightly differently though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6178 on: January 15, 2016, 05:12:16 AM »
The Gift Of Music is 4:00 on the CD.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6179 on: January 15, 2016, 05:15:45 AM »
That wasn't one of the songs I was worried about. My versions appear to be the same length or longer to various degrees, so there's probably some additional silence on mine given the different source.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6180 on: January 15, 2016, 05:16:22 AM »
You have the Australian Edition, with additional kangaroo noices.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6181 on: January 15, 2016, 05:17:08 AM »
You have the Australian Edition, with additional kangaroo noices.

What next, you'll tell me that Overture 1928 doesn't actually start with a low didgeridoo note?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6182 on: January 15, 2016, 05:18:22 AM »
Yours is probably from the same source that originated the first promo - every track there were many seconds longer (with descent of the nomacs being a full minute longer). I believe that was sourced before the final touches were done, and before the mastering.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6183 on: January 15, 2016, 05:20:14 AM »
Yours is probably from the same source that originated the first promo - every track there were many seconds longer (with descent of the nomacs being a full minute longer). I believe that was sourced before the final touches were done, and before the mastering.

Well Descent of the Nomacs is a full minute longer for a reason, as I'm sure you're aware of.
But yeah, that sounds very likely, as these versions would have been what as available as early as possible.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6184 on: January 15, 2016, 05:32:12 AM »
I'm actually not, but it's okay.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6185 on: January 15, 2016, 05:38:22 AM »
Track by track review...in Italian! :)
https://spaziorock.it/speciale.php?&id=dream-theater-track-by-track-the-astonishing-2016
Sound very promising!

Absolutely it does!

Damn I am so stoked and hyped now, best album ever incoming!!!!!  :metal

I'll try to manage my expectations 'cause I have a gut feeling that this will be the best thing happened to mankind in this entire millennium!

About track lengths... am I the only one that think that this time around they don't really matter? sure, with albums made up of a collection of songs it was cool to learn which was the epic, which the most concise etc etc but this time around all songs are scenes from a musical movie, so the length serves only the story, it does not give any real indication about how the song is structured - they're all parts of a bigger scheme anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6186 on: January 15, 2016, 05:42:46 AM »

I'll try to manage my expectations 'cause I have a gut feeling that this will be the best thing happened to mankind in this entire millennium!

:rollin :rollin
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #6187 on: January 15, 2016, 05:43:59 AM »

Well Descent of the Nomacs is a full minute longer for a reason, as I'm sure you're aware of.
But yeah, that sounds very likely, as these versions would have been what as available as early as possible.

I'm intrigued now!  Was something cut?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6188 on: January 15, 2016, 05:45:06 AM »
https://spaziorock.it/speciale.php?&id=dream-theater-track-by-track-the-astonishing-2016
Sound very promising!

Absolutely it does!

Damn I am so stoked and hyped now, best album ever incoming!!!!!  :metal

About track lengths... am I the only one that think that this time around they don't really matter? sure, with albums made up of a collection of songs it was cool to learn which was the epic, which the most concise etc etc but this time around all songs are scenes from a musical movie, so the length serves only the story, it does not give any real indication about how the song is structured - they're all parts of a bigger scheme anyway.

I see your point. It sorta mattered when we had no idea, but after finding out you realize there's not that much insight to gain in this instance, beyond the initial mystery of the NOMACS tracks.

I'm actually not, but it's okay.

In that case, I've said too much. :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6189 on: January 15, 2016, 06:00:23 AM »
In that case, I've said too much. :P

Yes, because that never happens.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6190 on: January 15, 2016, 06:04:13 AM »

No, the difference is (at least on the promo i had) a longer fade in at the beginning, and a few more klaxons/bllaaarts at the end... Not anything important.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6191 on: January 15, 2016, 06:14:13 AM »
EXPLAIN

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #6192 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:04 AM »

No, the difference is (at least on the promo i had) a longer fade in at the beginning, and a few more klaxons/bllaaarts at the end... Not anything important.

Ah, cool.  Thanks for the clarification!  :tup
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6193 on: January 15, 2016, 07:08:45 AM »
Sound very promising!

Jesus, things are getting more exiting by the minute here! (If someone is interested in a good translation just say the word.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:26:01 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6194 on: January 15, 2016, 07:09:50 AM »
Whahibrido?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.