Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200892 times)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #5845 on: January 12, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
The Paddies said he interviewed JR and he mentioned he didn't think there would be another new song before the album is released.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5846 on: January 12, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
:shrug:

it's like two weeks til album day.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5847 on: January 12, 2016, 06:55:39 PM »
I disagree. If this was DT12 or ADTOE, sure, for them a video line this would be lolworthy but nobody would think more of it.
However, TA is seemingly *all* about the plot
 As such, the pictures on the site, the video, the map, they obviously factor heavily into the perception of the whole album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #5848 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »
I don't think they will release another single. TGoM was pretty much the story opener, not counting DotN and DO, so it wouldn't make sense to release another song that could possibly spoil the story for us early on.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #5849 on: January 12, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
Since almost everyone keep bashing the video I''ll say tha shadow person throwing a hammer(?)  looks pretty cool. And every scene with no human(and especially animal) character looks decent.

1984 Apple commercial.  Anyone else notice that?

Yeah and already said it a couple pages ago. Cheers.

Cool.  I must have overlooked the comment in the dearth of new pages.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5850 on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:23 PM »
However, TA is seemingly *all* about the plot
 As such, the pictures on the site, the video, the map, they obviously factor heavily into the perception of the whole album.

It is all about the plot now, only because we have only heard one song. I think that the album will be more about the music than anything in the end.

But yes, at this point today, everything else is going to more heavily color our perception now. I love the website and reveals. I disliked the video. I think in the end for me, if the other stuff (plot, imagery, etc...) is good, it will enhance my appreciation of the album. If it isn't, it won't drag it down for me.

Is it my monitor, or is there a higher rez version of the map?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TL

« Reply #5851 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:11 PM »
About the video, I don't understand people complaining about the graphics and all the visual part.. Isn't Dream Theater a group of MUSIC?.. Who the f*ck cares about the videos they do?..

Music is the gift they bring..

Music..

You're allowed to be critical of things you like.
In fact, if anything, you should be more critical of things you consider worthwhile.

And I'm.. I'm very critical.. I don't like KM's songs e.g.. But in this case, I don't get the need to be critical towards something has nothing to do with the main (and only) art of the artists involved.. For the last time: they make music, not graphics.. So we should (and we do) judge their music.. Nothing else..

We would love to have some music to disect and jump to conclusions about the whole album. Since this is all we have, we must look at the graphics and form opinions on the album that way.

Naa.. An album it consists of songs, not graphics or videos.. The booklet does consist of graphics, well, originally of lyrics and credits, which is still the main reason why they exists and are done, though having pictures or images makes it look better aesthetically.. But again, that's just a complement to what is really important.. Even the trailer of a movie.. That's not the movie, only a trailer.. So even if they released more snippets, an album trailer with more music or another single (the latter really surprises me hasn't arrived yet) all that would still be a short summary or a pinch of the album's music, but not the whole thing..

Stand patient.. Only 400 hours to wait.. :|
What's the point of a trailer if it apparently has nothing to do with the thing it's a trailer for?
Especially for something story driven, where they've been hyping up a visual stage show?

When you release promotional material for something, the entire point is to give the potential audience a taste; to evoke a sense of "If you like this, you'll want to check out the whole thing".

I'm not making a declarative decision on the whole album based on this stuff. I'm still going to listen to it and give it a fair shake. At the moment though, a person can only go on what has actually been released to the public.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #5852 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »
What's the point of a trailer if it apparently has nothing to do with the thing it's a trailer for?
Especially for something story driven, where they've been hyping up a visual stage show?

When you release promotional material for something, the entire point is to give the potential audience a taste; to evoke a sense of "If you like this, you'll want to check out the whole thing".

I'm not making a declarative decision on the whole album based on this stuff. I'm still going to listen to it and give it a fair shake. At the moment though, a person can only go on what has actually been released to the public.

I'm not saying it has nothing to do with the album.. It does.. But is not *the album* per se, which is the thing DT and, usually, the rest of the bands in the world do: an album.. Not a trailer to it..

So, while you're right about the trailer giving the potential audience a taste of the actual material, you still don't get my point.. Which is, simply, that my opinion about anything DT or any other band releases will be about the entire work they do.. Not just a part of it.. You don't judge a piece of an artwork, but the whole artwork..

The Bigger Picture.. Not only some of its parts..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5853 on: January 12, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »

That awkward moment in which you try to be sexy only to fail miserably and losing the love of your life right in front your blinking eyes.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5854 on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:48 AM »

I'm not saying it has nothing to do with the album.. It does.. But is not *the album* per se, which is the thing DT and, usually, the rest of the bands in the world do: an album.. Not a trailer to it..

So, while you're right about the trailer giving the potential audience a taste of the actual material, you still don't get my point.. Which is, simply, that my opinion about anything DT or any other band releases will be about the entire work they do.. Not just a part of it.. You don't judge a piece of an artwork, but the whole artwork..

The Bigger Picture.. Not only some of its parts..

Uhhh...
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5855 on: January 13, 2016, 03:34:24 AM »
I wonder the next video, what it will be??? any guesses??

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #5856 on: January 13, 2016, 03:47:08 AM »
Any hope left for a behind the scenes video next?
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5857 on: January 13, 2016, 04:22:31 AM »
nikatapi, can youtranslate the reviews better than those google translate ones ? ;)

I can this is true, but i'm pissed at Warner here in Greece that hasn't sent us the album yet due to an incredible unprofessionalism, so i'm not really keen on doing it right now, i would prefer adding my own review  :biggrin: . The google translate ones can give you the main idea, and the reviewers are big fanboys, so i don't want to create more hype than what already exists.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:28:17 AM by nikatapi »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5858 on: January 13, 2016, 04:58:21 AM »
I wonder the next video, what it will be??? any guesses??

Well JR or JP confirmed there's no making of this time either due to how busy they were with everything else.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5859 on: January 13, 2016, 05:00:27 AM »
I would guess the second video is either another song in a similar style to the TGOM video, or another trailer similar to the most recent one, but with more substantial snippets and without the voiceover.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5860 on: January 13, 2016, 05:01:28 AM »
Probably the preview to the Sequel, The Astonishing II: Emperor Nefaryus Strikes Back (Rise of the Dark Side).
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5861 on: January 13, 2016, 05:04:09 AM »
nikatapi, can youtranslate the reviews better than those google translate ones ? ;)

I can this is true, but i'm pissed at Warner here in Greece that hasn't sent us the album yet due to an incredible unprofessionalism, so i'm not really keen on doing it right now, i would prefer adding my own review  :biggrin: . The google translate ones can give you the main idea, and the reviewers are big fanboys, so i don't want to create more hype than what already exists.

hahahhahaa,,, Warner Greece is a big joke my friend.....periptero!!! hahahhaah

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #5862 on: January 13, 2016, 05:46:51 AM »
Probably the preview to the Sequel, The Astonishing II: Emperor Nefaryus Strikes Back (Rise of the DARK MASTER).

FTFY

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #5863 on: January 13, 2016, 07:07:35 AM »
Frankly, the negativity of some towards the video and the marketing beats the shit outta me. It's Dream Theater. Most of us interested enough in coming to a forum dedicated to the band, should probably know what they are all about by now. Is it awesome animation? No, its just basic animation based on some character artwork. South Park borders on rubbish animation, but it doesn't stop it from being piss funny at times. Is it a little cheesy. Sure. We're talking about a 'rock opera' here. But they've been doing this style of animation at shows for yonks now. It's not really a big surprise. Does it get me amped for the album though? Friggn' absolutely!

It's bloody Dream Theater - thats what they do, and thats whats made me be a fan since I&W. I'm looking forward to it, and I've loved the marketing strategy. It all feels grand, and it's above and beyond what most bands do. For those that may have unrealistic expectations, and already resigned themselves to thinking the album is not for them - oh well. All I know is come the 29th, I'll sit back with my headphones and an aged tequila and enjoy the shit out of the album. Like I have done for  years.

Rant over.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:18:06 AM by jayvee3 »

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #5864 on: January 13, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »
Frankly, the negativity of some towards the video and the marketing beats the shit outta me. It's Dream Theater. Most of us interested enough in coming to a forum dedicated to the band, should probably know what they are all about by now. Is it awesome animation? No, its just basic animation based on some character artwork. South Park borders on rubbish animation, but it doesn't stop it from being piss funny at times. Is it a little cheesy. Sure. But they've been doing this style of animation at shows for yonks now. It's not really a big surprise. Does it get me amped for the album though? Friggn' absolutely!

It's bloody Dream Theater - thats what they do, and thats whats made me be a fan since I&W. I'm looking forward to it, and I've loved the marketing strategy. It all feels grand, and it's above and beyond what most bands do. For those that may have unrealistic expectations, and already resigned themselves to thinking the album is not for them - oh well. All I know is come the 29th, I'll sit back with my headphones and an aged tequila and enjoy the shit out of the album. Like I have done for  years.

Exactly this!!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5865 on: January 13, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
South Park borders on rubbish animation, but it doesn't stop it from being piss funny at times.

Yeah, the problem is that the album trailer is funny too. At least South Park is supposed to be funny.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #5866 on: January 13, 2016, 07:24:06 AM »
South Park borders on rubbish animation, but it doesn't stop it from being piss funny at times.

Yeah, the problem is that the album trailer is funny too. At least South Park is supposed to be funny.

As I don't have a problem with it mate, that's your issue to deal with.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #5867 on: January 13, 2016, 07:25:49 AM »
Frankly, it's not like we'll get a feature film the 29th of january - We'll get an album with artwork. That's it. The animation doesn't need to be astonishing. The music needs to.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline majo

« Reply #5868 on: January 13, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
Frankly, the negativity of some towards the video and the marketing beats the shit outta me. It's Dream Theater. Most of us interested enough in coming to a forum dedicated to the band, should probably know what they are all about by now. Is it awesome animation? No, its just basic animation based on some character artwork. South Park borders on rubbish animation, but it doesn't stop it from being piss funny at times. Is it a little cheesy. Sure. We're talking about a 'rock opera' here. But they've been doing this style of animation at shows for yonks now. It's not really a big surprise. Does it get me amped for the album though? Friggn' absolutely!

i personally don't give a beep about some silly animation, but sound and music are equally important to me. so far i'm little bit worried (especially about the drums) and skeptical (previous 2 records were sub-par sonically and what i heard from TA so far isn't making me very thrilled - yeah, i know its yt and all but still...)
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5869 on: January 13, 2016, 07:36:29 AM »

We're also talking about a band who have animated alter egos such as a genie, a wizard and a pirate. So while the plot seems somewhat serious and grandiose, I would not be surprise if they threw in a bit of tongue-in-cheek stuff here and there.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5870 on: January 13, 2016, 07:37:31 AM »
Frankly, it's not like we'll get a feature film the 29th of january - We'll get an album with artwork. That's it. The animation doesn't need to be astonishing. The music needs to.

Yes, this is an important thing to consider to those worried about the album / concept due to the quality of animation. There's also the matter of how long it takes to make a top quality animated film at around 2 hours (can take years) and then consider how quick the turnaround is to provide animations to this 2 hour concept album (likely only a few months, maybe not even that) so naturally the result won't be comparable.

Also, am I the only one who likes the drum sound?

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #5871 on: January 13, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
Also, am I the only one who likes the drum sound?

I like it. It sounds like an improved I&W type of sound, and it's ages better than DT12.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5872 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:09 AM »

I think your confusing DT with other bands that have the revenue for what you want as a trailer.  Lets not fools ourselves to think DT is rolling in the money to be artsy enough for you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5873 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
I don't hate it, so I'll take it. It's by far the best the drums have sounded on a DT studio album since MM joined, so I'm happy about that.

Offline ericoml

« Reply #5874 on: January 13, 2016, 08:04:59 AM »
I think the real problem with the drums is the snare, everything else sounds good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5875 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
I think the real problem with the drums is the snare, everything else sounds good.

On a subjective note, I don't like the lower tuned snare sound, it lacks the snap of a higher snare. I also think it still lacks some dynamics, but it's a lot better here than on DT12. I can actually make out ghost notes now.
Overall I think it's clear they've taken on board the major criticisms of the production on the previous album, because it's a big improvement imo.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5876 on: January 13, 2016, 08:09:21 AM »

I don't even see that as an issue. To me, the snare sounds clear and impactful.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5877 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »
It is indeed a big improvement over the last two albums. Still, the drums lack depth and sound way too artificial, and cymbals still lack clarity and presence in the mix. It's a shame really, watching Mike play live in a clinic it makes you wonder what goes wrong during the mixing process of the albums, because he sounds so dynamic and powerful when you listen to his drums live.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5878 on: January 13, 2016, 08:27:04 AM »
The drums lacks punch as well (compare with SDOIT for example) but I think that the way Mangini plays has an effect on the sound.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5879 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »
I can only speak for what i heard during the Zildjian day last year, where Mike played The Enemy Inside. And holy shit, it was such a difference in sound, way more powerful and organic.
What i think might have an impact on the sound, besides compression and guitar stealing away cymbal frequencies, is the way his kit is captured by microphones. It's a very unusual kit, and maybe there is a problem with leakage between microphones, so they use compression (and triggering at some cases) to fight that.