Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200813 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #5775 on: January 12, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »
I keep reading so many complaints on the band's facebook page about how cheesy and terrible this will be. What is wrong with being cheesy? Personally I dive into cheesy stuff every now and then, but does that really make it a terrible thing? I like where they are going with this, but maybe that's just my inner nerd coming out. Either way everybody has their own opinion so we'll have to see how well this story turns out on the 29th.

I love cheese, specifically cheddar. 

But it's all about the music.  The animation isn't great, but they aren't animators, they are musicians.

Offline TL

« Reply #5776 on: January 12, 2016, 09:54:03 AM »
I keep reading so many complaints on the band's facebook page about how cheesy and terrible this will be. What is wrong with being cheesy? Personally I dive into cheesy stuff every now and then, but does that really make it a terrible thing? I like where they are going with this, but maybe that's just my inner nerd coming out. Either way everybody has their own opinion so we'll have to see how well this story turns out on the 29th.
Cheesy can be great. Cheesy can be a lot of fun. There is plenty of super cheesy music and other media that I absolutely love.
This is a whole other level though, at least for some people.

I'm really hoping the album proves me wrong, but so far it just all seems so self serious. Looking at the marketing material, I'm seeing a generic mishmash of fantasy tropes and cliches.

DT have plenty of material that is cheesy, that is also fantastic. The Count of Tuscany is a great example; that song is incredibly cheesy, and I love it. If they'd preceded it with this type of marketing campaign, I probably would have been very skeptical.

I hope I'm wrong, and I want to love this album. I've just found the marketing so far to be really off-putting.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5777 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
I'm a Wisconsin-ite and I hate cheese.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5778 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:25 AM »
Cheesy can be great. Cheesy can be a lot of fun. There is plenty of super cheesy music and other media that I absolutely love.
This is a whole other level though, at least for some people.

I'm really hoping the album proves me wrong, but so far it just all seems so self serious. Looking at the marketing material, I'm seeing a generic mishmash of fantasy tropes and cliches.

DT have plenty of material that is cheesy, that is also fantastic. The Count of Tuscany is a great example; that song is incredibly cheesy, and I love it. If they'd preceded it with this type of marketing campaign, I probably would have been very skeptical.

I hope I'm wrong, and I want to love this album. I've just found the marketing so far to be really off-putting.

Spot on post from start to end, that's how I feel as well.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5779 on: January 12, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
"Never Enough" tells this story quite well...:)

I'm sorry, but I simply cannot take Never Enough seriously.  :lol

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #5780 on: January 12, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »
Translated from Greek review:

For too many years, listening to the new album -ekastote- of DREAM THEATER, is a ritual, which usually share with dear friends cent-plus followers of the band (because the good is even better when you share). The matchmaking is not spoiled in the case of "The astonishing". When he got the link to the disk, I worked night and I could not hear it. Armed with patience, I waited almost a whole day, until at my leisure and fine company, we were in the offices of inkognito ROCK HARD for the hearing of their 13th studio disc, for whom I had wondered if I was grousouzikos ...

Many people know the 'stones throw' I've eaten here about 25 years with a specific shape, but I am one of those who were disappointed enough by the first, self titled album. What I emphasize every word, was that I seemed to have lost the ingredient "dream" of the band, which sounded as a simple, earthy complex, as several very good schemes out there. But not magic. No dream. And I waited with great impatience in "The astonishing", especially since the information saying that it is double, concept album !!! Listening unique piece that has been leaked to the moment of this writing, the "The gift of music", meant that I could not get out a conclusion, as I'm not at all from a song. Especially when it comes to the first passage of a double disc. Even though I remember George KOH, calling me on the track leaked while I was coagulated in traffic drive I did at the edge with alarm, I walked to the internet from the phone and I heard, twice to come to me equal ...

As I understand it's going to speak for very long, I will try to be as the most effective with the introduction of possible "The astonishing", then. The first question that I created, that is OK, can we talk about a double album, but for how long we talking about? The rascally wrote an album that lasts 130 minutes !!! Yes, 2 hours and 10 minutes duration. With the exception of one minute four imports to the sounds of the NOMACS (robots that are on the cover), talk about 125 minutes of pure music. Neither samples, or inclement weather (he once told one soul) or recitations. The inspiration for the album, it seems that overflowed from John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess, who wrote almost entirely the music (the Petrucci wrote the concept, which took almost two years to complete). As for its quality? A cinematic album, verging on paranoia of music, with lots of 70's influences, like in many places with the atmosphere and produce the "Scenes from a memory" and "Six degrees of inner turbulence". It's outrageous how much original music has been written, with few places to be repeated, with songs that last an average of 4-5 minutes each, have incredibly loose structures in places that there are some that do not even have distinct choruses. As for the traditional way of writing, that verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-solo-chorus, "to leave, go elsewhere" saying and the amiable Gerontakos advertising.

I have always believed that it is much harder to write five-minute, solid pieces, than to write ten-minute epics, which can be "stretched" as much as you want. The same think and members of DREAM THEATER in every conversation we did. And this album has 30 (!!!) such songs !!! Songs in the style of "Spirit carries on" (with more feature "Brother can you hear me") and "Solitary shell". Style Tracks "Fatal tragedy" or "The test that stumped them all". Salemenes changes tango rhythms (yes, listen to the mad "Lord Nafaryus"), magical melodies and a LaBrie interpret eight different characters, men - women, good - bad, happy - angry, in far more demanding interpretation of his career and dare Say, if not the best, certainly the most varied. The Jordan Rudess, trying every possible and impossible sound to the keys while playing with vintage instruments, giving a different dimension to the sound of the group. The Petrucci do magic, since there are many times that there are no distinct main riff to pieces, but based on melodies that have been written about the keys and guitar, while many pieces "built" in the process, starting with a simple piano or guitar and in the process become huge and unexpected take final form. The Mangini, finally acquired personal sound and identity of the group, playing as himself, not as its predecessor, while Myung sounds less than you would like, the truth is ... As for chorus and orchestral parts, the only I will say, is that the sophisticated Phil Campbell, who has worked with artists of the size and caliber of MUSE, RUSH, METALLICA, Adele, U2 and countless others, stated that 'The astonishing "was the biggest project that has worked in his career (and is 68 years with more than 450 gold and platinum albums to his credit).

I hear and I can not believe it. 130 minutes album. In destroys. Whenever you hear this process takes more than two hours, you discover so many different things, influences and sounds, that when it reaches the final product with the lyrics and the story that seems complicated, you will probably close 2-3 months to hear only this album. An album that I think is so crucial, as "Scenes from a memory". Not because they can "save" the career of DREAM THEATER, as was done after "Falling into infinity". Right now DREAM THEATER is the high point of their career, with sales higher than ever, with concert unreachable productions for data groups of the range, with very new world that has entered the tripaki to monitor and of course very highest cassette before. But it is crucial, because the band decided to take him perhaps more adventurous album of his career, the most ambitious, a very difficult project in a period is "on top", showing once again that the difficult not scaring.

Let's forget about copy-paste discs in their early contract with Roadrunner, disks with identical structure, the pieces that say "this is METALLICA, this is TOOL, this is MUSE» etc., the medley for alcoholism. We are talking about an album in my opinion, I sound only "gulp", without being able to easily isolate some detachments, an album that will bring back behind many old school fans who were removed or steer with the recent music course. Hence the fact that will be presented in full on tour following the release, in a show that is expected to be a lifetime experience (even wonder how to teach LaBrie by heart many verses and other such music !!! ). He used to be "fashion" and hip to say that listening DREAM THEATER. As with other large, in recent years it has launched an effort to degradation, to the point considered "obsolete" and putting at the forefront more "mondernous" progressive musicians. Let's get all these in the Yob "The astonishing", to enter into their burrows to be inspired, to be able to make something that approaches the quality, even writing 40-50 minutes of music, not 130 ... Once again leaders. Once again, the absolute gods ...

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #5781 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
Translated from Greek review:

For too many years, *snip*  absolute gods ...
It this the one that people are saying is actually 3 reviews?  If so, where do they start/stop for each?

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #5782 on: January 12, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
The Petrucci do magic!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #5783 on: January 12, 2016, 10:31:33 AM »

DREAM THEATER - "The astonishing" (Roadrunner)

I am one of those who were highly critical of the DREAM THEATER after fleeing Mike Portnoy. A man who despite his obsessions, centralization and the apparent conceit, was the ultimate boss in the ranks of the band. And who after a short period of disorientation ("Octavarium" and "Systematic chaos" on a smaller scale), seemed to have again found the right touches to GREAT "Black clouds and silver linings".

With the advent of Mike Mangini and the John Petrucci to hold the reins, the two first samples seemed disoriented, moving in a completely different direction than you knew fan, whether related to the piece of music was moving in a completely safe paths as and concerts, where the element of surprise had been lost for good. And to be honest, just announced what will happen with "The astonishing", the basket was carrying was very small.

Let us swallow my tongue then! The new album DT is what I was looking for some time now of them, with a surprise with every song, the need to want to heard again because we got the bigger picture, to become again a fan, which I had left behind for two years. On the other with confused. With very confused.

Those who thought that "The astonishing" is another "Orthodox» concept album, have time to think about it again until its release. The general feeling that leaves you is the musical rather than the simple narrative of a story. Here you will not find repetitive parts, not even refrains, despite a few cases. Yes, you read, most songs do not meet the traditional sense. Much, too much music, one or two verses and move on.

However, there are ample verses, whom I want to study in order to fully understand the futuristic concept of "The astonishing". The LaBrie here proved excellent narrator puts emotion enters fully the role, starting all possible moods. Mystery ("Lord Nafaryus"), sensibility ("Ravenskill"), optimism ("Hymn of a thousand voices"), anger ("The walking shadow"). By itself, that is charged with a very difficult task on his back, if we think that everything should interpret fully for at least 130 minutes, as this album takes.

The same is even more difficult task have the rest and especially Jordan Rudess. Everything starts and ends in it. The keys are everywhere here, as if the Petrucci handed him the keys of DREAM THEATER, something that has not occurred since the "Awake". Here excels released and delivers the best moments in his long career.

Just released is the Mangini. The relatively simple hits of the previous two albums do not exist. Unfolds all given talent, makes playback more adventurous and is now one with the other. As for the mainman Petrucci, things are more or less data.

Ideally ties and classical orchestra under the direction of renowned conductor David Campbell. Whether it concerns the widespread use of violins or coloring songs sopranos, or wind. Everything about the service of history.

Generally DREAM THEATER sound like they were. Everyone gives its own concerts and together to sound like one body. There are many references to the two well-known concepts "Scenes from a memory" and the title track of "Six degrees of inner turbulence", but only in terms of style, some of the legendary "Images and words" and "Awake", as and some few in the recent past, such as "A life left behind" is nail "Breaking all illusions".

But there are external influences. Diffuse is the stigma of the ELP, in KANSAS, of PINK FLOYD, even their sealant SYMPHONY X points ("The path that divides"). There are also many great songs in all this deluge of music. Illustration to mention the "A savior in the square", "Three days", my favorite "A new beginning", "Moment of betrayal" and "Our new world". Ask me yet again in a few days and maybe say otherwise.

The "The astonishing" you can not do it on your farm with the first hearing. Has so countless things waiting to be discovered, they will take time and dedication to understand. It has a fascinating story to tell, you should carefully read it. It has so much wonderful music, you have to melt to the fun.

One thing is certain: The DREAM THEATER in "The astonishing" risking a lot. They will lose many recent friends, but you will win all their old fans. Those who accuse them of stagnation, like me. And I have no other option than to bow after some time in their splendor.

9/10

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #5784 on: January 12, 2016, 10:32:56 AM »
#3 Greek review

Before I hit the play I promised myself that I will not have great expectations. The DREAM THEATER long, they need to enter the studio to write ten pieces and stops. Neither strange concept, even fictional characters or promo tricks on the internet or anything. Anything that can make even more commercial, more mainstream, more digestible to the public and juries decide Grammy Awards. They need to clean music that will take them out of the loop of writing patent following in recent years.

Fortunately, before I hit play I forgot the most basic. That provision that thinking and doing before the first hearing of an album from DREAM THEATER go down the drain.

1. Those of you used as the "Gospel" or as a reference point in your musical life in "Scenes from a Memory" and "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence", prepare enough space in the discotheque and in your heart for "The Astonishing" .
2. We are dealing with 130 minutes of music divided into two parts with the second lagging behind, in my opinion, than the first.
3. It is a difference that most "theatrical" band has released to date and is definitely an album that should sound the whole and not separately.
4. All the influences of the band are here to those of RUSH and KANSAS have the first place. Difficult, complex, progressive, no digestible technical, so you did not get it, makes me wonder how you can afford, well, live. Bet the THEATER invited to gain the essential help of video wall. I can not imagine different ...
5. Epic, classic, medieval, Renaissance with choirs, flute and violin sounds that instantly bring to mind compositions of James Horner & Hans Zimmer. Sounds and melodies that could be in soundtrack from "Braveheart" to the "Pirates of the Caribbean".
6. Argentine tango, swing from the 50s, jazz from the 60s make "The Astonishing" perhaps the most "thinking", synthetic, album released by DREAM THEATER today. If anything shows that the band "struggled" in the very studio.
7. O James LaBrie, recounts the story flawless (as usual when it is in the studio), reminding trouvero 11th century, constantly changing timbres and scales.
8. Jordan Rudess having the most important role of all, uses thousands of sounds while the times they have real substance playing an important role in the evolution of the concept. Most compositions having starting from piano, guitar escalate just before the end, synthetic prescription, bet and shows his trust in the last decade the band.
9. John Petrucci is experiencing one of the most melodic moments of his career, with the sound of the guitar, after a long time, to sound different.
10. I can not imagine someone outside of Mike Mangini and John Myung who could create more robust rhythm section for this album. Especially Mangini «comes beside himself."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #5785 on: January 12, 2016, 10:35:31 AM »
The loose song structure- no definite chorus- is what appeals to me the most. I love Metropolis, Pt1 because of that and it's my favorite song of theirs (amidst such a bulk of formidable songs).

For what it's worth using google translator, here is an extract of review number 3, which has me excited even more :

6. Argentine tango, swing from the 50s, jazz from the 60s make "The Astonishing" perhaps the most "thinking", synthetic, album released by DREAM THEATER today. If anything shows that the band "struggled" in the very studio.
7. O James LaBrie, recounts the story flawless (as usual when it is in the studio), reminding trouvero 11th century, constantly changing timbres and scales.

(emphasis mine)

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #5786 on: January 12, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
When you say it reminds of SDOIT, do you also think about solitary shell and about to crash reprise? Those instrumental sections, of course. I just want to lie down, chill, and enjoy beautiful melodies and solos like those are
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5787 on: January 12, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
When you say it reminds of SDOIT, do you also think about solitary shell and about to crash reprise? Those instrumental sections, of course. I just want to lie down, chill, and enjoy beautiful melodies and solos like those are

Those are parts that came to my mind the first time I listened.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5788 on: January 12, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
It's not really shocking that the 2nd Act doesn't have the same impact as Act I. That's how plays usually go for me as well.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ledlemos08

• Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪
« Reply #5789 on: January 12, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »
As I Am, why??? Just.. why??? Reading theses reviews makes me completely crazy here.

Oh man... I'm speechless!
Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪

Offline GandL

« Reply #5790 on: January 12, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
This got me really pumped, can't wait for the 29th and for the show as well in April. I'm really happy they seem to have taken risk to come up with something out of the path.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5791 on: January 12, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
The reviews and other comments have this long time DT fan pretty pumped. I would like to hear more about the sonic quality but
I can wait.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5792 on: January 12, 2016, 11:18:53 AM »
The reviews and other comments have this long time DT fan pretty pumped. I would like to hear more about the sonic quality but
I can wait.

A few people have said it's a lot more dynamic than the last two albums . A couple of people on here who have heard it and JP himself in an interview.

So i'm happy.

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #5793 on: January 12, 2016, 11:26:33 AM »
I'm also very happy that Dream Theater decided to include this all in one package. Periphery made a mistake by splitting up their double album into two separate purchases.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #5794 on: January 12, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
I'm also very happy that Dream Theater decided to include this all in one package. Periphery made a mistake by splitting up their double album into two separate purchases.

I'm happy just for the fact that it might help get DT their first #1 Billboard debut, since every album purchase will actually count as 2 units sold.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline thosava

« Reply #5795 on: January 12, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »
It wont. I found out that it doesn't count as two on charts. It does count as two when looking at Platinum certifications (RIIA certification) and things like that though.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #5796 on: January 12, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
Wondering how they will handle the choir and strings and other instruments that they do not actually play.  Will they leave those out in the live shows or have backing tracks for those parts.

Excited by the above reviews, but waiting for the reviews from the DT folks on this forum.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #5797 on: January 12, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
I wonder why JM wasn't involved in the writing?  Still, I hope he has some awesome basslines. 

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #5798 on: January 12, 2016, 12:06:54 PM »
Wondering how they will handle the choir and strings and other instruments that they do not actually play.  Will they leave those out in the live shows or have backing tracks for those parts.

Excited by the above reviews, but waiting for the reviews from the DT folks on this forum.

Probably a mix between backing tracks and Rudess. They have been playing mostly with a click-track live since MM joined, and have used backing tracks for vocal-harmonies since they started doing that. A lot of bands does this, and it works well (Nightwish comes to mind).

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5799 on: January 12, 2016, 12:07:51 PM »
Because it was written in an entirely different way from before - from behind the piano with JP og JR...

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #5800 on: January 12, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »
Because it was written in an entirely different way from before - from behind the piano with JP og JR...

This is so interesting. What a change from all the previous albums. I wonder if this is the album i've been waiting for, with JR being a massive creative force and not a complimentary one.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5801 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »
The same is even more difficult task have the rest and especially Jordan Rudess. Everything starts and ends in it. The keys are everywhere here, as if the Petrucci handed him the keys of DREAM THEATER,

Okay, as long as this isn't hyperbole, I'm officially stoked. About the music, anyway.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #5802 on: January 12, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »

If I recall correctly, didn't someone say in some interview (JP probably) that they are NOT using backing tracks for the choral and orchestral parts?

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #5803 on: January 12, 2016, 12:23:10 PM »
What I'm getting from these reviews is that Rudess is more important to this album.  I  feel he was underutilized in the last two albums, so this makes me very happy.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5804 on: January 12, 2016, 12:44:04 PM »
nikatapi, can youtranslate the reviews better than those google translate ones ? ;)

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5805 on: January 12, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »

If I recall correctly, didn't someone say in some interview (JP probably) that they are NOT using backing tracks for the choral and orchestral parts?

Guys, if I win the powerball on Wednesday I'll pay for DT to tour with an orchestra, cool?

A past post in this thread did mention that JP said they would not use backing tracks, which I actually was kinda disappointed in. I don't mind them doing it since they put so much work into it and they playing Radio City in NY, would be great to hear even if just playback.

Offline rab7

« Reply #5806 on: January 12, 2016, 01:03:52 PM »
nikatapi, can youtranslate the reviews better than those google translate ones ? ;)

I honestly prefer the google ones. Not only is there enough context clues to get a very good idea of what the reviewer's talking about, but they're also hilarious.

Offline obelix5150

« Reply #5807 on: January 12, 2016, 01:47:37 PM »

Guys, if I win the powerball on Wednesday I'll pay for DT to tour with an orchestra, cool?

A past post in this thread did mention that JP said they would not use backing tracks, which I actually was kinda disappointed in. I don't mind them doing it since they put so much work into it and they playing Radio City in NY, would be great to hear even if just playback.

I completely agree. I really appreciate how JR doesn't resort to playback tracks when doing multiple keyboard parts live... but IMO orchestral and choral tracks are different, because they pretty much can't be truly done well on his Kronos (unless he's going to an INSANE level to sample every single choral and orchestral phrase...)

Given how this album is about bringing the full Astonishing experience to the stage, I would have no problem with them filling in the sound with those tracks. I mean Nightwish does it live and their live shows are massive as heck because of it!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #5808 on: January 12, 2016, 01:57:29 PM »
Oh god. That's exactly what I want to hear. CALL ME EXCITED
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #5809 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
Since almost everyone keep bashing the video I''ll say tha shadow person throwing a hammer(?)  looks pretty cool. And every scene with no human(and especially animal) character looks decent.

1984 Apple commercial.  Anyone else notice that?