Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200809 times)

Offline Awaken

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4900 on: January 06, 2016, 02:33:29 PM »
I get that's what was referred to as the teaser.  Guess i took that comment as sarcasm

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4901 on: January 06, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »
To who listened TA more than us: The Gift of Music can be considered at which point of the album average quality? It's one of the best songs? How good it is compared to the others?

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4902 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »
I get that's what was referred to as the teaser.  Guess i took that comment as sarcasm
You might have a point actually.  Never thought of it like that...  :-\

Can any of the "special" people put us out of our collective misery?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline MegaDTSX

« Reply #4903 on: January 06, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »
I really like The Gift of Music.  I don't know if its pushing the boundaries on what cannot be asked, but if anyone who has listened to any more of the album could tell me this:

Is The Gift of Music a good precursor of "what is to come" from The Astonishing?  I know its hard to simplify or compare progressive music, even on a single album, but the pacing and just the quality of that song is pretty good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4904 on: January 06, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »
I think Noxon and I have said about all we can/will say on the subject, so continuing to ask questions is pointless (and kind of insulting).  Please stop.  You all can wait 3 1/2 more weeks for the album (or for any information that is officially released or authorized before then).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4905 on: January 06, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
I think Noxon and I have said about all we can/will say on the subject, so continuing to ask questions is pointless (and kind of insulting).  Please stop.  You all can wait 3 1/2 more weeks for the album (or for any information that is officially released or authorized before then).

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO LEAK IT ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4906 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
Right after I finish banning you.  Give me a moment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4907 on: January 06, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »
:bosky:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4908 on: January 06, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »

Insulting how, exactly?  You're both regularly posting cryptic snippets of information then apparently getting pissed off when people try to engage with you about the subject.  Perhaps think about who is really insulting who.

This is a forum of die-hard DT fans and you're lucky enough to receive privileged information.  With great power, etc etc.   :yeahright
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4909 on: January 06, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »
I don't think asking personal opinion insulting, we just want to know how much did you liked. We are not asking for specific information or to spoil the album

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4910 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »
Uh oh...

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #4911 on: January 06, 2016, 04:32:20 PM »
Main problem is all these questions have been answered.  We already know that those who have heard it have said TGoM is not typical of the CD and not in the top rung in terms of quality.  It's a crazy long thread but these questions have been answered.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4912 on: January 06, 2016, 04:32:52 PM »
Just drop it guys, we'll get an update soon enough (the actual album is coming out in just about 3 weeks), it's not like you have to devote all your time to counting down to the album, just carry on with whatever you do and before you know it there's a new update, or maybe even the album.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Gonz

« Reply #4913 on: January 06, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
I don't think asking personal opinion insulting, we just want to know how much did you liked. We are not asking for specific information or to spoil the album

You can look on What Are Your Thoughts On "The Gift of Music's thread to know that.

But I think the same, too much spoilers in the last week. I  (and I think the whole forum) really appreciate the info snippets, but don`t expect they're gonna talk openly about the songs yet. Just take a look to the music websites and magazines, still no reviews or comments.

Just a little patience. Wait until tomorrow.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4914 on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
It's times like this when it would make sense to lock the thread until the next update. 141 pages is a hell of a long thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4915 on: January 06, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »

Insulting how, exactly?  You're both regularly posting cryptic snippets of information then apparently getting pissed off when people try to engage with you about the subject.  Perhaps think about who is really insulting who.

Okay, perhaps "insulting" is a bit too strong.  But Noxon and I have NOT been "regularly posting cryptic snippets of information" as you suggest.  Noxon has posted some things in response to specific questions, and I am annoyed that a few people keep ignoring statements that we are not allowed to say much more.  But I do indeed realize that this is a forum of hardcore fans.  So, yeah, I understand that people are going to ask anyway.  I apologize for letting my annoyance spill over and get the better of me.  I do realize that it is just because you guys are just anxious, and that that is because you are fans of the band.  But just please understand that we are not in a position to be able to say much, so just please don't push too hard.  It isn't long before you will all be able to hear the entire album in all its glory.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4916 on: January 06, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
How dare you give us info without getting yourself in trouble bosk1?!  How dare you!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4917 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »
I do realize that it is just because you guys are just anxious, and that that is because you are fans of the band.  But just please understand that we are not in a position to be able to say much, so just please don't push too hard.  It isn't long before you will all be able to hear the entire album in all its glory.

So we can push...if we're gentle?

:progsnob:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4918 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »
I do realize that it is just because you guys are just anxious, and that that is because you are fans of the band.  But just please understand that we are not in a position to be able to say much, so just please don't push too hard.  It isn't long before you will all be able to hear the entire album in all its glory.

Well, maybe YOU can.  :zydarscouch:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4919 on: January 06, 2016, 04:59:50 PM »

Bet you say that to all the guys.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4920 on: January 06, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »

Okay, perhaps "insulting" is a bit too strong.  But Noxon and I have NOT been "regularly posting cryptic snippets of information" as you suggest.  Noxon has posted some things in response to specific questions, and I am annoyed that a few people keep ignoring statements that we are not allowed to say much more.  But I do indeed realize that this is a forum of hardcore fans.  So, yeah, I understand that people are going to ask anyway.  I apologize for letting my annoyance spill over and get the better of me.  I do realize that it is just because you guys are just anxious, and that that is because you are fans of the band.  But just please understand that we are not in a position to be able to say much, so just please don't push too hard.  It isn't long before you will all be able to hear the entire album in all its glory.

Sorry for starting drama, of course I appreciate where you are coming from.  I was just thinking out loud about whether or not we're gonna receive some more news/content this week.  I thought you were trying to invite some discussion with your "this is gonna be a good week *popcorn*" comment . 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #4921 on: January 06, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »
My 2 cents: if you consider The Gift Of Music to be an 8-, the album will be a 9+. ;-)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4922 on: January 06, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
My 2 cents: if you consider The Gift Of Music to be an 8-, the album will be a 9+. ;-)

Wow, that is amazing because I consider TGOM to be amazing and better than OTBOA and The Enemy Inside as a single.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4923 on: January 06, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
I agree, it's a great song.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4924 on: January 06, 2016, 05:24:15 PM »

Sorry for starting drama, of course I appreciate where you are coming from.  I was just thinking out loud about whether or not we're gonna receive some more news/content this week.  I thought you were trying to invite some discussion with your "this is gonna be a good week *popcorn*" comment . 

Well, the events that were on the schedule I have were supposed to have happened already, so...not sure where we are.  :lol :dunno:  But it is supposed to be a good week.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4925 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »
:soon:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4926 on: January 06, 2016, 05:30:40 PM »

I love how fast the newbs learn our emotes. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4927 on: January 06, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
:king:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4928 on: January 06, 2016, 05:38:21 PM »
:friday:

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4929 on: January 06, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »

I have to admit that I click on quote to remember some of them, even though I'm not that much of a newb anymore xD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4930 on: January 06, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »
:king:

:kingshmeg:

I have to admit that I click on quote to remember some of them, even though I'm not that much of a newb anymore xD

We all need the cheat sheets for them.  BTW Looks at my post count.  I'm an old fart here now. :lol

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4931 on: January 06, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
Well, the events that were on the schedule I have were supposed to have happened already, so...not sure where we are.  :lol :dunno:  But it is supposed to be a good week.

That sounds a little awkward. If I were to guess, these things will probably come friday because why not.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4932 on: January 06, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »

That sounds a little awkward. If I were to guess, these things will probably come friday because why not.

The album will be released on a friday. It seems friday is a nice day for everything, so yeah, why not?  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4933 on: January 06, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
We all need the cheat sheets for them.  BTW Looks at my post count.  I'm an old fart here now. :lol

And new ones are being added all the time!  In fact, I just added one 8:41 ago.

(which, by that clue, King should be able to figure out what it is and what the code is, if he thinks about it hard enough)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4934 on: January 06, 2016, 05:56:17 PM »
Son of a

I'm having a brain fart.