Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200859 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4865 on: January 06, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »
Understood and I applaud that reasoning.

Soon

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4866 on: January 06, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »
Understood and I applaud that reasoning.

Soon

emtee

You mean :soon:  ;D

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #4867 on: January 06, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
Today is the day??

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4868 on: January 06, 2016, 08:20:29 AM »
Today is the day??

It is indeed the day. The day of Wednesday 6th January, 2016, to be precise. Although in some parts of the world, it's probably the night.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #4869 on: January 06, 2016, 08:26:50 AM »
Today is the day??

It is indeed the day. The day of Wednesday 6th January, 2016, to be precise. Although in some parts of the world, it's probably the night.
Oh, ok.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4870 on: January 06, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
I wouldn't be concerned about the quality of the songwriting at all. Beautiful stuff.

If the version I've heard is the same as what's on the CD, it would be their most dynamic album since the '90s.
I am loving you so hard right now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #4871 on: January 06, 2016, 08:56:34 AM »
I have to say this is the most excited I've been for a DT album in a long time.  Now I just have to set aside the time to sit down and listen to the whole thing.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4872 on: January 06, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
Why there are two overtures? For me this can be afforded by only one in a conceptual album. Unless the two acts are very distinct musically - like Opeth's Deliverance and Damnation. Otherwise I see no meaning in doing two overtures.

Offline rab7

« Reply #4873 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:17 AM »
Why there are two overtures? For me this can be afforded by only one in a conceptual album. Unless the two acts are very distinct musically - like Opeth's Deliverance and Damnation. Otherwise I see no meaning in doing two overtures.

This is a Rock Opera. In the style of many classic musicals, operas, and plays, there is usually an Intermission (Entr'acte in French). Music usually plays during Intermission, which I'm 99% sure is what "2285 Entr'Acte" is supposed to represent.

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4874 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »

This is a Rock Opera. In the style of many classic musicals, operas, and plays, there is usually an Intermission (Entr'acte in French). Music usually plays during Intermission, which I'm 99% sure is what "2285 Entr'Acte" is supposed to represent.

Cool. I'm still thought that would be amazing if the two Acts will be kind of distinct musically but I do not think it's the case.

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
« Reply #4875 on: January 06, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
I think it would depend on how the story progresses, and if the setting/mood changes from one half to the other.

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4876 on: January 06, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
Makes more sense. Also, it would be interesting if there will be "Gabriel's songs", I mean, songs not dedicated to the storyline itself, but rather focused on Gabriel's role as composer...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4877 on: January 06, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »

Why does there need to be a limit?  Neal Morse's Testimony album had like 17 overtures.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4878 on: January 06, 2016, 10:35:47 AM »
As this looks likely to be one of the longest albums I've ever heard, then I'll probably want to take a short intermission at the end of Act 1. The 2nd overture will then serve to transport me back into the world of the story, which is one of the purposes of operatic overtures.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4879 on: January 06, 2016, 10:38:56 AM »
The CD will sound better, as it doesnt have the watermark. The watermark is quite intrusive at times.

I'm hearing it without the watermark, but the watermarks are annoying, like a big ol' notch filter basically.

How do you watermark a CD ? is there like a constant sound on it or " THIS CD IS PROPERTY OF ROAD RUNNER RECORDS AND THEIR ASSOCIATED PARTNERS AND AFFILIATES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA " every 5 seconds ?

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #4880 on: January 06, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »
As this looks likely to be one of the longest albums I've ever heard, then I'll probably want to take a short intermission at the end of Act 1. The 2nd overture will then serve to transport me back into the world of the story, which is one of the purposes of operatic overtures.

Wow, there are so many interesting influences of classical music. As opposed to rock music that is influenced by blues.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4881 on: January 06, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
The CD will sound better, as it doesnt have the watermark. The watermark is quite intrusive at times.

I'm hearing it without the watermark, but the watermarks are annoying, like a big ol' notch filter basically.

How do you watermark a CD ? is there like a constant sound on it or " THIS CD IS PROPERTY OF ROAD RUNNER RECORDS AND THEIR ASSOCIATED PARTNERS AND AFFILIATES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA " every 5 seconds ?

Afaik, there's some specific sound or frequency or w/e and it's different on every promo copy so that the company knows who leaked it (incase it leaks).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4882 on: January 06, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
^Exactly.  Pre-release promos almost always have digital watermarks nowadays.  It isn't a "DT thing," or even a "Roadrunner thing."  A friend of mine in the media gets promos all the time for a lot of bands, and they always have a digital watermark.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #4883 on: January 06, 2016, 10:47:21 AM »

Whenever there is a reference to water in the lyrics, water will be splashed out of nowhere on anybody in the vicinity. And since DT likes to refer to water in their lyrics, the album is sure to make us wet :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4884 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
Also DT like to use the word "dream" in their lyrics - so the CD will expel Diazepam in gas form upon every utterance.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #4885 on: January 06, 2016, 10:56:44 AM »
Mmm... wet and dream... I feel like there's a dirty joke to be found somewhere in this....

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4886 on: January 06, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
It's not just promos that get watermarked.

Here's a listening test so you can see if you can hear the watermark.

https://mattmontag.com/audio-listening-test/

Offline jsbru

« Reply #4887 on: January 06, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
Hmmmm....maybe if the direction of conversation on this thread keeps heading downward, it will get so low to the point where DT will feel sorry for us and just release the album a week ahead of schedule.  :biggrin:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4888 on: January 06, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »
Hmmmm....maybe if the direction of conversation on this thread keeps heading downward, it will get so low to the point where DT will feel sorry for us and just release the album a week ahead of schedule.  :biggrin:

Yeah, let's talk a bit more about wet dreams  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4889 on: January 06, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »

Yeah, let's talk a bit more about wet dreams  :lol

:emo: I once had a dream I was swimming.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4890 on: January 06, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
I constantly have nightmares of being overwhelmed by gigantic ocean waves.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #4891 on: January 06, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
But I have stated that the songs do not "flow" into each other. Each song excepting one has a clear beginning and a clear end. There is silent between almost all tracks, but like two or three has a small connecting sound effect that persists from the end to the next - but remove that sound effect and it's a completely separate song. It's a very dynamic and diverse album.

This is mostly what I meant anyway, thank you for clarifying. My worries are put to rest ;D
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4892 on: January 06, 2016, 12:56:23 PM »

I used to have those, until I learned to push them back with the Force because I'm awesome. Now I don't have wet dreams any more.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4893 on: January 06, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

My nightmares involve rollercoasters and lifts ( elevators ) even though I am scared of neither.

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #4894 on: January 06, 2016, 01:28:58 PM »
WHERE. ARE. THE. UPDATES?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :( :( :(

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4895 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
It's probably gonna be Friday.  That's why those in the know posted a couple of teasers Monday AM - to manage the inevitable bitching when the usual character update fails to materialise.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4896 on: January 06, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »

My nightmares involve rollercoasters and lifts ( elevators ) even though I am scared of neither.

I'm not terrified of oceans either, just a little bit of fear and respect.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #4897 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
Were there teasers?  I had read that this would be a fun week, but I kind of took that as no updates may have been scheduled and they knew people would be getting restless.  Next week seems to be inevitable with listening parties being scheduled.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4898 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »
The fun week that was mentioned is the teaser.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4899 on: January 06, 2016, 01:55:12 PM »
Yeah, that's what I meant by teasers.  There's got to be something this week.  Lots of content to reveal on the site and not that much time left.
Shaman take my haaaaand!