Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200848 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4830 on: January 05, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
Probably not, but it's not unheard of..
I wonder if the concept is going to address why Arhys right and left temple are uneven or if his slight cross eye situation is of plot significance.
Damn these pictures are bad.
So only the kid to go now! I saw on facebook when they revealed red hair Barbie last week but I didn't know the other woman had been revealed already, I hope they reveal the kid's name this week. Exciting!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4831 on: January 05, 2016, 11:02:19 PM »
The fact that it's a concept album doesn't force it to have all of its songs flow into another.

Please head to Spotify and type "Finisterra Opera Rock" by Mago de Oz.

Hear that, it's spanish rock, but it's a prime example of a concept album with individual songs.
(Yes, I am aware that it's a remake of their 2000 album "Finisterra", but this new version kicks so much more ass)
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #4832 on: January 05, 2016, 11:19:07 PM »
Of course it doesn't, plenty of concept albums have individual songs. But even most Dream Theater songs on albums that DON'T have a story-based concept flow into each other (i.e. ADTOE, SDOIT, Octavarium).

It's just that you'd think for an album that is highly story driven that this would be the case.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4833 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:56 AM »
But I have stated that the songs do not "flow" into each other. Each song excepting one has a clear beginning and a clear end. There is silent between almost all tracks, but like two or three has a small connecting sound effect that persists from the end to the next - but remove that sound effect and it's a completely separate song. It's a very dynamic and diverse album.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4834 on: January 06, 2016, 02:49:24 AM »
Why is everyone suddenly moaning about the pictures?! They've been up there for weeks and you've suddenly thought of something to complain about?  :facepalm:

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4835 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:12 AM »
Why is everyone suddenly moaning about the pictures?! They've been up there for weeks and you've suddenly thought of something to complain about?  :facepalm:

They have been complaining for quite a while....

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #4836 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:20 AM »
Noxon, this is a difficult question to form, but I'll try, and I hope you understand:

Will there be moments analogous to SDOIT song, where individual songs are not connected like you said, but they still dynamically flow into eachother? For example, about to crash starts as a happy song, but it gets darker towards the end and more aggressive, and then war inside my head starts, being a whole different song, but it continues getting aggressive, in trend of about to crash, and then it culminates into the most aggressive song, the test that stumped them all, which is again, very different from the previous ones, but the aggression kept rising and flowed into that song, which is an aggressive climax
And yeah, will there be aggressive songs at all?
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Estiui

« Reply #4837 on: January 06, 2016, 04:24:25 AM »
Noxon, this is a difficult question to form, but I'll try, and I hope you understand:

Will there be moments analogous to SDOIT song, where individual songs are not connected like you said, but they still dynamically flow into eachother? For example, about to crash starts as a happy song, but it gets darker towards the end and more aggressive, and then war inside my head starts, being a whole different song, but it continues getting aggressive, in trend of about to crash, and then it culminates into the most aggressive song, the test that stumped them all, which is again, very different from the previous ones, but the aggression kept rising and flowed into that song, which is an aggressive climax

Well, I'd say that the only parts of SDOIT which are not "physically" connected are Solitary Shell and ATC (reprise). The rest have musical continuity, as there's no silence between them. You could even put SS-ATCR in there too...

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4838 on: January 06, 2016, 05:04:43 AM »

Well, I'd say that the only parts of SDOIT which are not "physically" connected are Solitary Shell and ATC (reprise). The rest have musical continuity, as there's no silence between them. You could even put SS-ATCR in there too...

From Noxon:

"But I have stated that the songs do not "flow" into each other. Each song excepting one has a clear beginning and a clear end. There is silent between almost all tracks, but like two or three has a small connecting sound effect that persists from the end to the next - but remove that sound effect and it's a completely separate song. It's a very dynamic and diverse album.
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4839 on: January 06, 2016, 05:14:10 AM »
I think it's fair to think of this as a movie or a tv-show soundtrack.

Each song is a "scene". The "scene" may be exposition, like "The Gift of Music", or be dialogue between characters, or monologues, or action sequences. So since we're cutting from scene to scene, the music also resets. And oftentimes, the first few moments of the songs are then "establishing shots" - there to set the mood.

It's hard to explain without going into details.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #4840 on: January 06, 2016, 05:17:39 AM »

From Noxon:

"But I have stated that the songs do not "flow" into each other. Each song excepting one has a clear beginning and a clear end. There is silent between almost all tracks, but like two or three has a small connecting sound effect that persists from the end to the next - but remove that sound effect and it's a completely separate song. It's a very dynamic and diverse album.

Thats not what he asked. He didnt point out the sound effect flowing one after the after, but the tone and feeling of the songs as a story. Like a story arc continuing over several songs in a linear way, although having distinct breaks in the middle of it.

Anyway, im somewhat dissapointed at Noxons statement. I hoped that if there wont be epics, there would be atleast connected songs giving a feeling similar to it. Im still sure I will love the album, its just not what I had in mind. And thats ok, DT said from the beginning this would be something different.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4841 on: January 06, 2016, 05:20:05 AM »
Anyway, im somewhat dissapointed at Noxons statement. I hoped that if there wont be epics, there would be atleast connected songs giving a feeling similar to it. Im still sure I will love the album, its just not what I had in mind. And thats ok, DT said from the beginning this would be something different.

The album is cohesive and connected through the use of recurring musical themes, and they pack a ton of epicness into such short songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #4842 on: January 06, 2016, 05:29:38 AM »

Each song is a "scene". The "scene" may be exposition, like "The Gift of Music", or be dialogue between characters, or monologues, or action sequences. So since we're cutting from scene to scene, the music also resets. And oftentimes, the first few moments of the songs are then "establishing shots" - there to set the mood.

It makes sense.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4843 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:19 AM »

I follow completely. I'm sure it'll be brilliant and more coherent once we're listening to it as it was meant to be heard.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #4844 on: January 06, 2016, 05:45:28 AM »

The album is cohesive and connected through the use of recurring musical themes, and they pack a ton of epicness into such short songs.

Yeah Im confident that if DT are making a concept album, theyll make it cohesive and connceted. And Im sure it will sound good.

I dont know, maybe it a a childish desire in me that wants the long songs. I just find it hard for me to imagine Ill like the short songs as much as I like their epics. I know its an irrational thought but thats what going through my mind right now.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4845 on: January 06, 2016, 05:46:10 AM »

Am I missing something or you listened to the album, Blob?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4846 on: January 06, 2016, 05:47:25 AM »

Yeah Im confident that if DT are making a concept album, theyll make it cohesive and connceted. And Im sure it will sound good.

I dont know, maybe it a a childish desire in me that wants the long songs. I just find it hard for me to imagine Ill like the short songs as much as I like their epics. I know its an irrational thought but thats what going through my mind right now.

At the same time, there are so many songs this time around that I think you won't have time to be disappointed.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4847 on: January 06, 2016, 05:50:31 AM »
I don't think having doubts because of a lack of long songs is irrational. People generally like the long ones the most, myself included. The track lengths of this album will without a doubt make it so that it so that I will like the individual songs less than usual. But it may still hold up pretty well as an album, which is the most important, especially when it's a concept album like this.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4848 on: January 06, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »

B.Lee

I haven't listened to everything and in sequence properly, but I'm familiar with about half of the album.
Don't try to think of the album in terms of SFAM or even the title track of SDOIT. It is a rock opera, distinct from the concept album approach of SFAM. Hearing descriptions of it doesn't do justice to how it is written.

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4849 on: January 06, 2016, 06:00:01 AM »

B.Lee

I haven't listened to everything and in sequence properly, but I'm familiar with about half of the album.
Don't try to think of the album in terms of SFAM or even the title track of SDOIT. It is a rock opera, distinct from the concept album approach of SFAM. Hearing descriptions of it doesn't do justice to how it is written.

I don't care about that. My real concern is about album quality, if is so good as SFAM or Awake

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4850 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:59 AM »

B.Lee

Have you liked what you have listened to so far?

B.Lee

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4851 on: January 06, 2016, 06:03:58 AM »
I don't care about that. My real concern is about album quality, if is so good as SFAM or Awake

I haven't heard it enough yet to compare it to other DT albums (although it wouldn't take much to beat Awake :biggrin:), but I wouldn't be concerned about the quality of the songwriting at all. Beautiful stuff.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4852 on: January 06, 2016, 06:18:42 AM »
Why?

Just from my experience listening to albums with a lot of tracks as a concept album, they usually have many tracks flowing into each other. I'm not worried about it though.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #4853 on: January 06, 2016, 06:19:15 AM »
That's good to hear Blob, didn't know you had already listened to some of the record. Songwriting was my major concern for this type of record. The theme with the characters, maps, storyline, etc... could be pretty lame if the song writing isn't stellar. But, on the flip side, if approached the right way and with well done song writing, the whole thing could be amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4854 on: January 06, 2016, 06:21:48 AM »
Blob or Noxon or Bosk.

How are the sonics on what you've heard ? The Gift of Music sounded like it had breathing room.

Is the whole album like that ?

Rich Chycki said TGOM was post master so I'm hopeful.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4855 on: January 06, 2016, 06:31:51 AM »
Blob or Noxon or Bosk.

How are the sonics on what you've heard ? The Gift of Music sounded like it had breathing room.

You asked noxon a few pages back "can you confirm the whole album sounds that nice?" and he replied "Better.", so noxon says yes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4856 on: January 06, 2016, 06:32:54 AM »
Blob or Noxon or Bosk.

Everything I've heard has sounded at least as good as TGOM production-wise. No obvious compression, everything audible, not fighting for space. I just took one of the heaviest tracks and checked the dynamic range, and it registered as DR8, so hopefully it's the same as what's on the CD. Easily the best sounding of the RR era. I can hear more subtleties in the drums too.

Offline emtee

« Reply #4857 on: January 06, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »
During my vacation it looks like this has gone from nobody in the know making comments to multiple people in the know making comments
prior to release. I think I will stay away until after release day.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4858 on: January 06, 2016, 06:43:04 AM »
Everything I've heard has sounded at least as good as TGOM production-wise. No obvious compression, everything audible, not fighting for space. I just took one of the heaviest tracks and checked the dynamic range, and it registered as DR8, so hopefully it's the same as what's on the CD. Easily the best sounding of the RR era. I can hear more subtleties in the drums too.

That makes me think DT listened to the backlash to the DT12 brickwalling. It didn't bother me so much but I could see why many others were frustrated at the low dynamic range.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4859 on: January 06, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
I probably should as well, emtee. I was way more excited for the album 3 weeks ago. Lurking on the DT side has made me wonder if I've made a mistake by pre-ordering... Hope not.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4860 on: January 06, 2016, 06:50:13 AM »

That makes me think DT listened to the backlash to the DT12 brickwalling. It didn't bother me so much but I could see why many others were frustrated at the low dynamic range.

I'm the complainiest about production (and most other things), and I'm very happy with how it sounds. If the version I've heard is the same as what's on the CD, it would be their most dynamic album since the '90s.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4861 on: January 06, 2016, 06:52:28 AM »
Blob, you are making me happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4862 on: January 06, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
The CD will sound better, as it doesnt have the watermark. The watermark is quite intrusive at times.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4863 on: January 06, 2016, 07:10:29 AM »
The CD will sound better, as it doesnt have the watermark. The watermark is quite intrusive at times.

I'm hearing it without the watermark, but the watermarks are annoying, like a big ol' notch filter basically.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4864 on: January 06, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
During my vacation it looks like this has gone from nobody in the know making comments to multiple people in the know making comments
prior to release. I think I will stay away until after release day.

From in 7 days time, all hell will be lose, because there will be a lot of fans who've heard the album due to listening parties, and they won't have an embargo as to what they're able to say and not say.

I mean, I'm still currently on the fairly sharp "no spoiler mode" - my main reason for divulging the information I do now is to manage expectations. Why risk people getting disappointed by the album when I can say "it's not what you think it is, and you should think about it this way instead". I've not gone into details of contents of songs or story, and I won't do that either until next week (by which time a discussion thread probably should exist seperately from this one).