Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200786 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4515 on: January 01, 2016, 03:56:57 AM »
Happy Astonishing Year, everyone!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4516 on: January 01, 2016, 04:04:47 AM »
Happy Astonishing Year, everyone!

B.Lee

An astonishing year to you all!!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #4517 on: January 01, 2016, 04:48:45 AM »
Happy new album y'all  ;D
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #4518 on: January 01, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
There has been an astonishing... Have you felt it?

;)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4519 on: January 01, 2016, 09:35:12 AM »
Happy Astonishing Year for Everyone! Un feliz y Asombroso año para todos mis amigos latinos!  :metal
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4520 on: January 01, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »
[Content removed until it can be reviewed - XJDenton]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:48:57 AM by XJDenton »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4521 on: January 01, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
Interesting :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4522 on: January 01, 2016, 10:56:09 AM »
okay so is there legit more music on the first disc than you can actually fit on once CD ???

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4523 on: January 01, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »
OHHHHHH!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:03:39 AM by chego_voice »
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4524 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
okay so is there legit more music on the first disc than you can actually fit on once CD ???

No, I mean on the website (somebody has already rated the album there as well, which is interesting), where Laughing_man92 linked to, not Pax or Lightbug's estimates, which were still pretty close. The site has the total Disc 1 length at just below 80 mins. 79:49 to be exact.

I hope this doesn't count as leaked info. Could someone tell me if I'm out of line by referencing this? Removed references just to be sure.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:53:19 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4525 on: January 01, 2016, 11:08:44 AM »
So Dream Theater has made a disc which is one of the longest of their carrer, which fills to the phisycal limits a CD.

...and that's just Act I, 'cause there's 55 or so minutes more of music to hear on a second disc!

I'm stoked at the direction this album is gonna take! couldn't care less for the instrumental sections missing, and I can go without a lot of metallic stuff for one disc. I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4526 on: January 01, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
Anything that is not verifiable information from a credible and reputable source is to be considered a leak.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4527 on: January 01, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
Everything I hear about the upcoming album and tour makes me more and more stoked... only 29 days until the album and 2 months until the show/shows in Stockholm   :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4528 on: January 01, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »
Someone on Reddit named 'nafaryus' who has the album has said this:

"Let's just say, I've never heard a DT album like it."

"I think this will be the most divisive album by Dream Theater ever. And that is saying a lot, by virtue of all albums being divisive to a certain extent. This one will be worse than falling into infinity when it comes to fan reaction. The people loving the all out metal of the last decade will be very disappointed. Those who love the long instrumental sections will be disappointed. Basically, what I'm saying is; if you love FII and SFAM, you'll love this album."

I also read this, pretty funny though how he says people who love the long instrumental sections will be disappointed, followed by "if you love SFAM, you'll love this album".
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4529 on: January 01, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
SFAM has a theatrical approach, this album may be SFAM on steroids (Noxon has pretty much confirmed that it's a rock opera, not a collection of songs), so maybe that's what he refers to. The whole "Not a collection of songs but a full experience" kind of thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4530 on: January 01, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
Someone on Reddit named 'nafaryus' who has the album has said this:

"Let's just say, I've never heard a DT album like it."

"I think this will be the most divisive album by Dream Theater ever. And that is saying a lot, by virtue of all albums being divisive to a certain extent. This one will be worse than falling into infinity when it comes to fan reaction. The people loving the all out metal of the last decade will be very disappointed. Those who love the long instrumental sections will be disappointed. Basically, what I'm saying is; if you love FII and SFAM, you'll love this album."

I also read this, pretty funny though how he says people who love the long instrumental sections will be disappointed, followed by "if you love SFAM, you'll love this album".

Well apart from Overture 1928, Fatal Tragedy, Beyond This Life, Home and The Dance of Eternity, there weren't that many long instrumental sections. Oh wait, that's half the album.  :lol
I think that he meant that SfaM was less overtly metal than a lot of DT's more recent stuff rather than a lack of instrumental sections.

Anything that is not verifiable information from a credible and reputable source is to be considered a leak.

Well I think my sources are credible, but that's not for me to decide. Do you think I'm breaking the rules?

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #4531 on: January 01, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »

No, I mean on RYM (somebody has already rated the album there as well, which is interesting), where Laughing_man92 linked to, not Pax or Lightbug's estimates, which were still pretty close. RYM has the total Disc 1 length at just below 80 mins. 79:49 to be exact.

I hope this doesn't count as leaked info. Could someone tell me if I'm out of line by referencing this?

I'm not a mod, but I personally wouldn't count that as a leak, because it's not like something the band wouldn't want us to know
It can just increase the hype

Also, I found those track lengths, and guess what? All my estimates were around 5-6 seconds longer than those. And guess what again? He didn't say TGoM lasts 4:08 (what we thought was a fact), but 4:00. That explains the shift
However, looks like my measurement was very precise (there was just a systematic error that made my results shift a bit to the longer lengths)
In your face, non-believers :p
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4532 on: January 01, 2016, 11:30:50 AM »
Also, I found those track lengths, and guess what? All my estimates were around 5-6 seconds longer than those. And guess what again? He didn't say TGoM lasts 4:08 (what we thought was a fact), but 4:00. That explains the shift
However, looks like my measurement was very precise (there was just a systematic error that made my results shift a bit to the longer lengths)
In your face, non-believers :p

Those last 8 seconds are probably fading into The Answer.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:36:09 AM by Enigmachine »

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4533 on: January 01, 2016, 11:43:35 AM »

Well I think my sources are credible, but that's not for me to decide. Do you think I'm breaking the rules?

A random guy on the Reddit credible? I dunno, but it's not up to me to decide whether that info is against the rules - not my place to.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4534 on: January 01, 2016, 11:50:19 AM »
A random guy on the Reddit credible? I dunno, but it's not up to me to decide whether that info is against the rules - not my place to.

He has a review copy of the album so I'd assume he is credible and that subforum has similar rules on leaks to DTF:
"Do NOT post any leaked material until a week after the album has been released."

So I don't know, the mods there would've taken down the thread and banned the guy if rules were being breached.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4535 on: January 01, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »

Precise doesn't necessarily mean accurate...which based on your "Chemist" text you should know very well!   :biggrin:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4536 on: January 01, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
I'm taking it down for the time being so we can review it. Problem with anonymous reddit users is that it is sometimes hard to know if the material has been gotten legitimately or not and hence whether the source is credible. Best thing to do if you are unsure if it breaks the rules or not is just ask one of the team.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4537 on: January 01, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »

He has a review copy of the album so I'd assume he is credible and that subforum has similar rules on leaks to DTF:
"Do NOT post any leaked material until a week after the album has been released."

So I don't know, the mods there would've taken down the thread and banned the guy if rules were being breached.
Not do degrade the mods over there perse, but they were selected pretty randomly, I remember with the whole TGOM situation there was one mod who actually encouraged redditors to PM him for the leaked song.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4538 on: January 01, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »
I'm taking it down for the time being so we can review it. Problem with anonymous reddit users is that it is sometimes hard to know if the material has been gotten legitimately or not and hence whether the source is credible. Best thing to do if you are unsure if it breaks the rules or not is just ask one of the team.

Sorry about that.

Not do degrade the mods over there perse, but they were selected pretty randomly, I remember with the whole TGOM situation there was one mod who actually encouraged redditors to PM him for the leaked song.

I was not aware of that, but it was still taken down (though it was admittedly more high profile than what I mentioned). I'll try and be more careful with this sort of thing.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4539 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
What was the whole TGOM situation?  I thought Rolling Stone premiered it and it was all official?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4540 on: January 01, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »
What was the whole TGOM situation?  I thought Rolling Stone premiered it and it was all official?

It leaked a few hours before that happened.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #4541 on: January 01, 2016, 12:22:13 PM »

Precise doesn't necessarily mean accurate...which based on your "Chemist" text you should know very well!   :biggrin:
exactly, I meant my measurement was precise, but not accurate (due to the shift) :D
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4542 on: January 01, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »

Random thought: I am NOT referring to anyone specifically, but I find that forum posters are sometimes like reporters; they want the scoop of being the first one to report/post it, so it's more fun and satisfying, I suppose, to post first and ask questions later. Asking a mod means someone else, like that mod, could post it first and then they have been scooped. :lol :lol

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4543 on: January 01, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

How did I miss this?!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4544 on: January 01, 2016, 12:59:52 PM »

How did I miss this?!

You just missed another leak, too.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4545 on: January 01, 2016, 01:04:01 PM »
Random thought: I am NOT referring to anyone specifically, but I find that forum posters are sometimes like reporters; they want the scoop of being the first one to report/post it, so it's more fun and satisfying, I suppose, to post first and ask questions later. Asking a mod means someone else, like that mod, could post it first and then they have been scooped. :lol :lol

Well, I don't care about posting info first, I just wanted to start some relevant discussion on the album since TGoM came out about a month ago with the Rolling Stone interview and very little has come since regarding solid info on album content. I assumed the guy was credible considering that he had the album for reviewing purposes and even held back on some info when he said "I can't really speak about it at length. Embargo and all that.". I didn't think to ask until I referenced the website, but it turns out that the reddit info was the problem. I'd be perfectly fine with not being the first one to communicate info, I'm not that self-centred.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #4546 on: January 01, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
All this leak stuff is so stupid.  The album's done, they should sell it.  The longer the wait, 28 more days in this case, the more chance of leaks.  Whatever, it's just a crazy business model (talking about music, not DT in particular).

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4547 on: January 01, 2016, 01:23:42 PM »
All this leak stuff is so stupid.  The album's done, they should sell it.  The longer the wait, 28 more days in this case, the more chance of leaks.  Whatever, it's just a crazy business model (talking about music, not DT in particular).

This happens because bands want to hype the album up for a few months to get more attention and sales as well as having to manufacture physical copies. It makes sense, it's just hard to wait through.  :lol
It would be nice if albums were just released when it's finished but that doesn't and won't really happen for reasonably big bands.

Offline TL

« Reply #4548 on: January 01, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »
Why is the setting of the story important anyhow? It's just dressing. The story of Star Wars isn't about spaceships. It's about the hero's journey. It's about friendship (and ultimately, family). The same is true about Game of Thrones - ultimately, if you "undress" it, it's a soap opera.

The dressing of the setting is just a way to set up the story. And I don't get it why people need to have everything be relatable. "I can't enjoy a story that's not in my world, because I can't relate to it". Sure you can. Because ultimately, it's a story about human behavior. Even movies with speaking animals is about human behavior.

I mean, I'm not a religious person, and I particularly do not believe in reincarnation. Does that hinder me from enjoying the story of SFAM? Not at all! Because the story is ultimately a basic "whodunnit" at its core.

The Astonishing is a story about people. It's setting is a dystopian future (so how you get "game of thrones" from that - considering game of thrones is set in a medieval-like setting (High fantasy) I'm not sure). To ease your way into the setting, the story comes with illustrations of the people in the story and a map, as well as pictures of some key locations in the story. And it's the most elaborate I've ever seen DT be. But I completely understand why. To experience this album is not just to experience the music. The story is so important that you need to experience it like a play. In fact, I can with absolute certainty say that if the story is a problem for you, you will have problem with the music as well, because they're so strongly connected.

This points towards a more general problem I've always seen from DT fans. REGARDLESS of what DT does, a great portion of the fans will hate it with a passion, a great portion will love it with all their heart, and the rest are just "it's okay"... It even happened with SFAM. Heck, it even happened with IAW. It's become so predictable that I can tell instantly how the fanbase will react to any song. I think it's insane, I don't see this level of scrutiny in other fanbases.

I think you might be overreacting.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #4549 on: January 01, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »

This happens because bands want to hype the album up for a few months to get more attention and sales as well as having to manufacture physical copies. It makes sense, it's just hard to wait through.  :lol
It would be nice if albums were just released when it's finished but that doesn't and won't really happen for reasonably big bands.
I know but I still think it's a bad business model given the situation with downloading.  I've pre-ordered the CD, of course, if I got an email saying for an extra $10 I could download it now I would be running to get my credit card.  Before downloading it made sense.  Now it's just bad business.  Then many people who buy it also download it first, as an example if it were to leak on 1/24 I would download it and still get my pre-order on 1/29 so I would still buy it. But then bands wonder why so many download it when a good number of the downloads are also buyers.  Craziness.  But it's a max of 28 days now.