Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200877 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4445 on: December 29, 2015, 09:38:32 PM »
I empathize with that. I usually do that at work.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4446 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »

Indeed. Best to do your business while on the company dime. Gives you that much more of your personal time to do more important things. You just gotta find the floor/department that has the cleanest facilities.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #4447 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »
My gosh, people would complain even if they took legit photos to use for the characters.  Maybe the back half of Faythe's hair is in a bun, pushing the hood up, giving the illusion that the laws of thermodynamics are being broken.  Not sure why anyone would care?  If they wanted the characters to look more "real" they wouldn't be drawn. 

If someone finds the picture bad, that's fine.  But to start accusing laziness and sloppiness is just plain silly.

And yes, I find her to be HAWT!!! I was expecting her to be a kid.  Maybe the round headed clock figure will be instead.  BTW I'm sure I'm still too old for Faythe :-/

\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #4448 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:29 PM »
To go where?

To leave your country, to go and become a monk and disapear from the internet for 30 days till The Astounding drops  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #4449 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »

If someone finds the picture bad, that's fine.  But to start accusing laziness and sloppiness is just plain silly.

This.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4450 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »
To go where?

To leave your country, to go and become a monk and disapear from the internet for 30 days till The Astounding drops  :corn

I would rather be frozen until it drops, like Cartman.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #4451 on: December 30, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »
My gosh, people would complain even if they took legit photos to use for the characters.  Maybe the back half of Faythe's hair is in a bun, pushing the hood up, giving the illusion that the laws of *physics* are being broken.  Not sure why anyone would care?  If they wanted the characters to look more "real" they wouldn't be drawn. 

And yes, I find her to be HAWT!!! I was expecting her to be a kid.  Maybe the round headed clock figure will be instead.  BTW I'm sure I'm still too old for Faythe :-/

Fixed that for you :) The laws of Thermodynamics (a branch of physics) are related to energy and energy flow (it is actually more an observation than a law) where the first law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed into other forms. The second law (usually conflated with disorder) is the observation that energy uhindered tends to spread; this is professor emeritus and physicist Frank Lambert's modern formulation of the second law.

From a thermodynamic standpoint, it looks like Faythe will be an energetic part of the story  ;)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:52:46 AM by chwik »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4452 on: December 30, 2015, 03:32:20 AM »

Indeed. Best to do your business while on the company dime. Gives you that much more of your personal time to do more important things. You just gotta find the floor/department that has the cleanest facilities.

*snip*

:lol

Ours are usually pretty well kept.

To go where?

That does not sound appealing, not even drunk.   :lol

Offline liran95

« Reply #4453 on: December 30, 2015, 03:34:17 AM »
To go where?

I would rather be frozen until it drops, like Cartman.

I've actually made this meme for DT12.
I've tried to look for it but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4454 on: December 30, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
You sass that hoopy hefdaddy42? Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!

*hopes someone gets this*
*Gets this*

*Intended this*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #4455 on: December 30, 2015, 07:26:41 AM »
My gosh, people would complain even if they took legit photos to use for the characters.  Maybe the back half of Faythe's hair is in a bun, pushing the hood up, giving the illusion that the laws of *physics* are being broken.  Not sure why anyone would care?  If they wanted the characters to look more "real" they wouldn't be drawn. 

Fixed that for you :) The laws of Thermodynamics (a branch of physics) are related to energy and energy flow (it is actually more an observation than a law) where the first law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transformed into other forms. The second law (usually conflated with disorder) is the observation that energy uhindered tends to spread; this is professor emeritus and physicist Frank Lambert's modern formulation of the second law.

From a thermodynamic standpoint, it looks like Faythe will be an energetic part of the story  ;)

That reminds me of Monty Python's explanation on why firetrucks are red. I don't know how, but you guys still manage to take things to a whole new level :lol

Offline Wubbagubba

« Reply #4456 on: December 30, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »
I just joined the forums and wow am I hyped for this album. I absolutely love TGOM and from what I've read this album is set to be a great one. I can't really compare the amount of impatience I have for this album. It may not top SFAM, but with 34 tracks and over two hours of music, it will certainly be spectacular. I am absolutely stoked. I just want January 29 to get here.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4457 on: December 30, 2015, 07:34:30 AM »
What are the odds of Clock Guy being revealed at the stroke of midnight (ET), at the turn of the year?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4458 on: December 30, 2015, 07:39:42 AM »
What are the odds of Clock Guy being revealed at the stroke of midnight (ET), at the turn of the year?

One in a million... but as we all know, one in a million chances crop up nine times out of ten

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4459 on: December 30, 2015, 07:42:52 AM »
"Never tell me the odds!" 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4460 on: December 30, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »
In all seriousness though, it does seem like everything could be in place so that all the characters and the full map will be revealed as we enter the month of release. Maybe even the Places link will be unlocked.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4461 on: December 30, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
It's the perfect opportunity.

Offline rab7

« Reply #4462 on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:21 AM »
It looks like their source was noxon's pie chart...

Why do you think that?

A New Beginning had a big slice, and it was the longest song.

...that's all my evidence

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4463 on: December 30, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »

I figured out the pie chart.  This is simply the way that Noxon slice his holiday pie.  The thin slices are for kids and the larger pieces are for the overweight relatives.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4464 on: December 30, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
That must be one huge pie.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4465 on: December 30, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »

I concur, thanks!  I knew thermodynamics wasn't the correct term for what I was describing, and all I could think of was Newton but that just didn't sound right the way I wrote it.  Couldn't think of the right word (physics), was just thinking about force = mass*acceleration.

I "almost" even gave a disclaimer that I was probably describing it wrong since, well, you know, DTF!!! Haha.

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #4466 on: December 30, 2015, 06:27:55 PM »
I think that the last character to be revealed "the clock guy " will be a boy shepherd

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #4467 on: December 30, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »

I figured out the pie chart.  This is simply the way that Noxon slice his holiday pie.  The thin slices are for kids and the larger pieces are for the overweight relatives.

So thin slices are songs from the POV of clockguy
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #4468 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »
I think that clock boy will be revealed at 2 minutes to midnight, The hands that threaten doom. 2 minutes to midnight, To kill the unborn in the womb:

:metal
The blind men shout, Let the creatures out
Let's show the unbelievers
The napalm screams of human flames
Of a prime time Belsen feast

As the reasons for the carnage
Cut their meat and lick the gravy
We oil the jaws of the war machines
And feed them with our babies

The killer's breed or the demon's seed
The glamor, the fortune, the pain
Go to war again, blood is freedom's stain
Don't you pray for my soul anymore

2 minutes to midnight
The hands that threaten doom
2 minutes to midnight
To kill the unborn in the womb

Body bags and little rags
Of children torn in two
The jellied brains of those who remain
Put the finger right on you

As the madmen play on words
And make us all dance to their song
To the tune of starving millions
To make a better kind of gun

The killer's breed or the demon's seed
The glamor, the fortune, the pain
Go to war again, blood is freedom's stain
Don't you pray for my soul anymore

2 minutes to midnight
The hands that threaten doom
2 minutes to midnight
To kill the unborn in the womb

Midnight, all night
Midnight is all night
Midnight, all night
Midnight is all night

Midnight, all night

:metal  :metal  :metal

"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #4469 on: December 30, 2015, 08:19:45 PM »
Clock boy is a Young Eddie The Head confirmed.
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4470 on: December 30, 2015, 09:24:55 PM »
Nah, Eddie was born already old :neverusethis:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4471 on: December 31, 2015, 04:59:38 AM »
The "announcement emails" seem to have completely stopped. Weird. The whole hoopla about joining a side, but after a few emails it seems they abandoned it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4472 on: December 31, 2015, 05:03:34 AM »
The "announcement emails" seem to have completely stopped. Weird. The whole hoopla about joining a side, but after a few emails it seems they abandoned it.

Yes, it's strange indeed. Don't know why they chose to go these lenghts to stop all of a sudden.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline thosava

« Reply #4473 on: December 31, 2015, 05:50:59 AM »
How many Empire mails did we get? I can only remember one, or was it two?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4474 on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:53 AM »
How many Empire mails did we get? I can only remember one, or was it two?

I recall getting at least a couple from each side, maybe 3. I don't think there were more than that, at least nothing substantial. It's been mostly tweets since then, and they've only been periodic. At least the website has been updating regularly.
And we're at the business end now. One more character, one more map piece, and then what I've been waiting for the most, the two videos. And I'm still waiting to see what those glowy eye buttons do dangit!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4475 on: December 31, 2015, 06:01:36 AM »
The glowy buttons are patience tests. If you didn't press them, you get in to the pre-release streaming. If you pressed... tough ;)

(this may not be true)

Offline thosava

« Reply #4476 on: December 31, 2015, 06:02:21 AM »
Maybe they will use the emails more once all the other info is revealed. Maybe they will use it as a way to get more hype just before the album is released.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4477 on: December 31, 2015, 06:02:37 AM »
The glowy buttons are patience tests. If you didn't press them, you get in to the pre-release streaming. If you pressed... tough ;)

(this may not be true)

That can't be right, because I clicked those little buggers every single time I visited the site.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #4478 on: December 31, 2015, 06:17:09 AM »

(this may not be true)

Uh oh... xD

Offline AleBl4st

« Reply #4479 on: December 31, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »
Last night I listened to The Astonishing. It was beautiful. Its songs were full of rich melodies.

Then I woke up.