Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200774 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3850 on: December 19, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
Have you guys checked out VRA's cover of TGoM? DAT CHOIR at the end, it gave me more than goosebumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaKJ_tJqw0

Nice :tup
Holy crap

That was really amazing.  Wow.

Maybe it's me though, did something sound off right after the Petrucci solo? It sounds like the instrumental part after that was different.

Offline TL

« Reply #3851 on: December 19, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
So here's something that just occurred to me.

There's a long form poem from the 1800s that's based on the culture of the Acadian people (though not written by an Acadian). It's called Evangeline.
The reason I bring it up;

It's about a young woman, Evangeline, a victim of 'Le Grand Derangement'. It's all about her search for her lost love, Gabriel.

It's possible, and probably quite likely, that this is a coincidence, but maybe it could provide a hint toward one of the story elements of this album?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3852 on: December 20, 2015, 02:37:26 AM »
Mh, dunno, the In the Presence of Enemies story was not is hown so outside inspirations are not to be ruled out, but if Petrucci would feel inspired to pay homage / rip off / take suggestions from an already existing source, I think he wouldn't go all the way and copy the names as well... if someone gets inspired by Star Wars to have a story about long lost twins, he doesn't call their characters Luke and Leila.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3853 on: December 20, 2015, 02:39:45 AM »

The band must see this. :hefdaddy
Have you guys checked out VRA's cover of TGoM? DAT CHOIR at the end, it gave me more than goosebumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaKJ_tJqw0

Nice :tup
Holy crap

That was really amazing.  Wow.

Maybe it's me though, did something sound off right after the Petrucci solo? It sounds like the instrumental part after that was different.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3854 on: December 20, 2015, 05:12:41 AM »
I've listened to TGOM about 5 times, was kinda impressed, but it didn't wow me like TEI for example did.

Going back to it now after hearing that cover I like it way more! That choir is incredible.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3855 on: December 20, 2015, 07:22:24 AM »

The band must see this. :hefdaddy

Actually JR posted a comment to video:
Great job guys!!!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3856 on: December 20, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
Well, a new update tomorrow and we will have 2 more left. Interesting that we won't have everything before Xmas.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3857 on: December 20, 2015, 01:46:24 PM »
Well, a new update tomorrow and we will have 2 more left. Interesting that we won't have everything before Xmas.

After the remaining characters and map pieces, we still have the locked "places" section and the two videos. I expect updates up to the release.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3858 on: December 20, 2015, 02:35:49 PM »
So here's something that just occurred to me.

There's a long form poem from the 1800s that's based on the culture of the Acadian people (though not written by an Acadian). It's called Evangeline.
The reason I bring it up;

It's about a young woman, Evangeline, a victim of 'Le Grand Derangement'. It's all about her search for her lost love, Gabriel.

It's possible, and probably quite likely, that this is a coincidence, but maybe it could provide a hint toward one of the story elements of this album?
I doubt it's a coincidence.
Don't feel like Evangeline is Gabriel's gurl, tho, in any case I think JP did know about that story, it's just too much of a coincidence.
But other than the names, the context and story overall is completely different.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3859 on: December 20, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »

After the remaining characters and map pieces, we still have the locked "places" section and the two videos. I expect updates up to the release.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that :D. I just wish they would give us another song for the holidays.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3860 on: December 20, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
I wonder if we'll have a "bumper" update on Jan 1st or the Monday after it (4th). New month, new year, month of release.

Offline me7

« Reply #3861 on: December 20, 2015, 04:02:42 PM »
I'd like a new song for Christmas.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #3862 on: December 20, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »

6:00 on a Christmas morning...  :o
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Yesmaestro

« Reply #3863 on: December 20, 2015, 08:07:31 PM »
I'd like some Southeast shows for Christmas   :metal

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3864 on: December 20, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »

So you'd like a gift of music :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3865 on: December 20, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »
i've listened to TGOM and it has way more put into it than most every DT12 song, even at only 4 minutes long

so yeah, this will be better than DT12 most likely

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #3866 on: December 21, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »
As Bosk said thousands of pages ago TGOM is just a preview, so I'm waiting for the release of the official single!!

Talking about the video, I really love it! Amazing job as always... But I have to say (with much respect for the singer) that every time I listen to a cover I appreciate more and more our beloved James!! :yarr
About the choir I just wanna say this:
GAABRIIIEELL  :metal

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #3867 on: December 21, 2015, 04:47:23 AM »
Really?  Is this confirmed?  I heard peoplee say that a sampler has done the rounds and TGOM isn't anywhere near the best that's on there.  Nothing about an official single coming....
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3868 on: December 21, 2015, 05:08:20 AM »
Really?  Is this confirmed?  I heard peoplee say that a sampler has done the rounds and TGOM isn't anywhere near the best that's on there.  Nothing about an official single coming....

Well, JP called TGOM a "snippet" but said nothing about an official single. Don't think it has been confirmed at all. Just wishful thinking I guess...

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #3869 on: December 21, 2015, 05:23:38 AM »
Yeah, thought so.  Here's hoping anyway!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3870 on: December 21, 2015, 05:32:14 AM »

So you'd like a gift of music :neverusethis:

:facepalm:  :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3871 on: December 21, 2015, 05:42:33 AM »
I'd like some Southeast shows for Christmas   :metal
Maybe next fall - does dt normally play the festivals in Europe in the summer?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3872 on: December 21, 2015, 05:52:22 AM »
Certainly with DT, I don't see the difference anymore between a "preview" and a proper single. It's not like they release CD singles these days.

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #3873 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
Just hoping for a single release, nothing official!! But the fact that TGOM is not a single but a preview of the album is confirmed... It would be a strange choice not to release a single, but It wouldn't be a problem for me to wait until the 29th and listen to the whole thing..

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #3874 on: December 21, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
Can you please explain to me why TGOM is actually NOT a proper single? Sorry but I cant find anything about this from just searching the forum.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3875 on: December 21, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
Can you please explain to me why TGOM is actually NOT a proper single? Sorry but I cant find anything about this from just searching the forum.

The concept of what a "single" is is a bit fuzzy, but I think this definition/description from Wikipedia about covers it:

In music, a single or record single is a type of release, typically a song recording of fewer tracks than an LP record or an album. This can be released for sale to the public in a variety of different formats. In most cases, a single is a song that is released separately from an album, although it usually also appears on an album. Typically, these are the songs from albums that are released separately for promotional uses such as digital download or commercial radio airplay and are expected to be the most popular. In other cases a recording released as a single may not appear on an album.

As digital downloading and audio streaming have become more prevalent, it is often possible for every track on an album to also be available separately. Nevertheless, the concept of a single for an album has been retained as an identification of a more heavily promoted or more popular song (or group of songs) within an album collection.

Despite being referred to as a single, singles can include up to as many as three tracks on them. The biggest digital music distributor iTunes accepts as many as three tracks less than ten minutes each as a single, as well as popular music player Spotify also following in this trend. Anymore than three tracks on a musical release or longer than thirty minutes in total running time is commonly classed as an Extended Play (EP).

My understanding is that The Gift of Music is not being promoted whatsoever as a standalone song.  It was released merely to give fans a bit of a preview of the album.  Ultimately, the distinction may not be very significant, but that's the best explanation I can offer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline metrojam

« Reply #3876 on: December 21, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »
i've listened to TGOM and it has way more put into it than most every DT12 song, even at only 4 minutes long

Can't possibly be worse!!!!!!!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3877 on: December 21, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »

Because this is a concept album which does not have a radio single song, the story goes on and maybe the album does not have any song which could be a  standalone single.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #3878 on: December 21, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
Oh, ok then. Thanks

Offline me7

« Reply #3879 on: December 21, 2015, 11:57:38 AM »
Because this is a concept album which does not have a radio single song, the story goes on and maybe the album does not have any song which could be a  standalone single.

Scenes from a Memory was a rock opera as well and had two singles, despite the lyrics making little sense outside of the context.
They either hint at a lot more (maybe the two locked videos are singles with music videos), or they don't mean much at all and we're just interpreting too much (business as usual on DTF).

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3880 on: December 21, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »

Can't possibly be worse!!!!!!!
Not sure if sarcastic or not.

Because there is much worse.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3881 on: December 21, 2015, 12:10:17 PM »

Scenes from a Memory was a rock opera as well and had two singles, despite the lyrics making little sense outside of the context.
They either hint at a lot more (maybe the two locked videos are singles with music videos), or they don't mean much at all and we're just interpreting too much (business as usual on DTF).
The whole 'single or preview' argument is so fucking dumb, because it's basically the same thing. The term for which we describe it is slightly different and it honestly doesn't represent that much of a difference.

The band called it a preview, so that's what I choose to refer to it as.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3882 on: December 21, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »
Yeah, in this day and age the line is becoming blurry. Once you had vinyls and 33'', and then CD-singles, but with the advent of the digital era and the different means for different bands, depending on their status and style, it's becoming hard to put a proper term on the way a song is shown to the public before the album is released... sometimes bands don't even call a song their "single" but they just make a (often lyric) video of it.

Anyway, no big deal, I'm fine with calling The Gift of Music a preview and not a single, wouldn't be bothered either way, it's still the song that was released to the public before the album came out. Not listening to it for the record, I want to listen to the whole thing in a month or so  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3883 on: December 21, 2015, 12:25:40 PM »
I honestly don't want another song to be released before the album. I really wanna keep this a surprise. But hey I don't have to listen to it!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3884 on: December 21, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
I better stop talking about the character updates. It seems like I am jinxing it, lol.