Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200858 times)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3815 on: December 18, 2015, 03:34:05 PM »
Wouldn't it be amazing to get a new track now, considering that the album is now officially done?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #3816 on: December 18, 2015, 03:35:23 PM »
Silly american dates. Threw me off. I thought it said 12th of october ;)

Offline Gonz

« Reply #3817 on: December 18, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
The album was done a week ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3818 on: December 18, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »
The album was done a week ago.

Um...I think we established that about 5 posts ago.  :lol

That actually is a bit late if the scheduled release date is still planned for 1/29.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #3819 on: December 18, 2015, 03:55:09 PM »
Well, the press release they released yesterday:

https://www.dreamtheater.net/news/historic-north-american-headline-tour-165576

had this in it:

DREAM THEATER
THE ASTONISHING
RELEASE DATE: JANUARY 29TH

So they're still communicating that as the release date.

Offline Simonski

« Reply #3820 on: December 18, 2015, 04:51:38 PM »
These lyrics are full of errors. Vocals that doesn't fit, at all... Seriously: Why would you think you can trust an Argentinian fan page to give the right lyrics? Can they even speak English down there? Lionel Messi certainly can't (Though he lives in Spain..)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3821 on: December 18, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »
These lyrics are full of errors. Vocals that doesn't fit, at all... Seriously: Why would you think you can trust an Argentinian fan page to give the right lyrics? Can they even speak English down there? Lionel Messi certainly can't (Though he lives in Spain..)

They are full of errors, yeah, but I know plenty of South Americans (myself included) who can speak English perfectly. That was a bit harsh in my opinion.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #3822 on: December 18, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »
I think it's really hard to transcribe lyrics, especially when James goes high - he's not the greatest enunciator while singing high notes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3823 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
Seriously: Why would you think you can trust an Argentinian fan page to give the right lyrics? Can they even speak English down there? Lionel Messi certainly can't (Though he lives in Spain..)

That is completely inappropriate and unnecessarily confrontational.  It is fine to point out that there are errors, but no need to insult groups of people en masse.  Please read the forum rules and plan to abide by them if you want to continue to have posting privileges here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #3824 on: December 18, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »

MASTERING IS DONE! THE ALBUM IS OFFICIALLY DONE!

It's interesting that DT released The Gift of Music before the overall masters were actually finished. I guess that they didn't want to drag people on for too long without hearing anything so maybe as soon as the master for TGoM was finished, they began preparing for its reveal.

In the last album cycles the early release allowed the band an opportunity to make last minute tweaks, mostly likely influenced by fan reactions/griping.  So not surprised it was released before mastering, and perhaps it is a bit of a compliment or sign of respect to the DT community.  Hopefully the mastering does not compress the sound too much.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3825 on: December 18, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »
A big announcement suggested something special, not something they do every tour. It also didn't warrant the buildup given that it's just adding more tour dates to the ones they'd already announced.

I don't know, but I guess this forum is missing the point here. This tour, with all The Astonishing played live and with all the stage production, now will be extended to USA. It's not simply to announce more tour dates. I doubt when DT will be promoting this album in South America, Asia etc they will do this way. I guess they will do a more regular kind of show, playing only a few parts of The Astonishing and with the regular show production.
That would piss me off harder than anyone can imagine.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3826 on: December 18, 2015, 08:12:12 PM »
A big announcement suggested something special, not something they do every tour. It also didn't warrant the buildup given that it's just adding more tour dates to the ones they'd already announced.

I don't know, but I guess this forum is missing the point here. This tour, with all The Astonishing played live and with all the stage production, now will be extended to USA. It's not simply to announce more tour dates. I doubt when DT will be promoting this album in South America, Asia etc they will do this way. I guess they will do a more regular kind of show, playing only a few parts of The Astonishing and with the regular show production.
That would piss me off harder than anyone can imagine.

That would not be the first time though. I remember during MP's era that they would bring a more compact version of his drumkit to South America.

Also, tickets here (at least in Brazil) are really expensive even on their normal gigs. I imagine how much they would be with the full show...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3827 on: December 18, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
It's interesting that DT released The Gift of Music before the overall masters were actually finished. I guess that they didn't want to drag people on for too long without hearing anything so maybe as soon as the master for TGoM was finished, they began preparing for its reveal.

I just hope TGOM wasn't pre-mastered, because it sounded good! I don't want it ruined with more compression.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3828 on: December 18, 2015, 09:40:13 PM »
I get home from work and all the pre-sale for the Cincinnati show on the DT website are sold out. Really hoping there'll be more tickets when the public ones go on sale on Tuesday.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3829 on: December 18, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
I think it's really hard to transcribe lyrics, especially when James goes high - he's not the greatest enunciator while singing high notes.

True dat.  And English is my only language! haha
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3830 on: December 19, 2015, 02:03:19 AM »

I just hope TGOM wasn't pre-mastered, because it sounded good! I don't want it ruined with more compression.
This was my exact thought as well. Don't screw it up, DT!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3831 on: December 19, 2015, 03:20:22 AM »
They've had around 2 months of promo and hype building already, even before the masters were completed. Now the album's done, it might as well be out there sooner rather than later.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #3832 on: December 19, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
Have you guys checked out VRA's cover of TGoM? DAT CHOIR at the end, it gave me more than goosebumps...

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3833 on: December 19, 2015, 05:16:46 AM »
Have you guys checked out VRA's cover of TGoM? DAT CHOIR at the end, it gave me more than goosebumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veaKJ_tJqw0

Nice :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3835 on: December 19, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
My God, that was beautiful...

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #3836 on: December 19, 2015, 07:07:59 AM »
Great video! But Can he whahibrido pickingant???

:whahibridopickingant:
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3837 on: December 19, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »
Wow! That brilliant as always!! That choir!  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline V_R11

« Reply #3838 on: December 19, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
Holy crap that's awesome!  :metal Wish I was that talented
Seasons change and so can I

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3839 on: December 19, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
That was an awesome cover of course, but it only made me appreciate James LaBrie even more. That's a very good singer, but all the different 'character' parts sound just the same. JLB's performance does sound more dynamic, more varied and with more depth.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3840 on: December 19, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
I think TGOM is sung entirely by Arhys. The Empire "masses" can't sing "People just don't have the time for music anymore" as they don't know what music even is. The NOMACs are all they've ever known.

We might all be referring to the lyric booklet for the first few listens to the album, to try and work out who's singing what.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3841 on: December 19, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
We might all be referring to the lyric booklet for the first few listens to the album, to try and work out who's singing what.

I hope it will be clearly stated, as it happened with SFAM that even had italic lyrics for the stuff happening in the past.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline olddtfan51@gmail.com

« Reply #3842 on: December 19, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

Those guys nailed it . :metal

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3843 on: December 19, 2015, 11:45:35 AM »
Everything top notch, I just didn't like the vocalist much. I'm also glad he sung The Songbird instead of The sun bursts, and Shepherd instead of Should Give.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #3844 on: December 19, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
I think TGOM is sung entirely by Arhys. The Empire "masses" can't sing "People just don't have the time for music anymore" as they don't know what music even is. The NOMACs are all they've ever known.

I think it started with a neutral narrator, and at some point, probably in "We're living day to day" (depending if it's "Across the vast North Empire" or "I cross the vast North Empire"), it shifted to Arhys.

By the way, I had a dream where the total duration of the album was 2 hours and 13 minutes. Was it based on real information that now I can't recover/remember?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3845 on: December 19, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »

I think it started with a neutral narrator, and at some point, probably in "We're living day to day" (depending if it's "Across the vast North Empire" or "I cross the vast North Empire"), it shifted to Arhys.

By the way, I had a dream where the total duration of the album was 2 hours and 13 minutes. Was it based on real information that now I can't recover/remember?
I dreamed that exactly, except that Astonishing lasted 23 minutes haha
Jatruccyundessgini

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3846 on: December 19, 2015, 03:58:22 PM »

Petrucci estimated the length of the album at 2 hours and 10 minutes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #3847 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »
That cover was amazing. 

I'm really intrigued by the isolated choir part at the end.  I could easily imagine another track being built around that melody.  Anyone think that we may hear this in a different context later in the album?
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3848 on: December 19, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »

Holy crap
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3849 on: December 19, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »
What did you do to Hef? Who are you?
Jatruccyundessgini