Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200749 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3780 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:50 AM »
Sorry, but :facepalm: at the general reaction to the announcement here. What else were you expecting?

I was expecting (considering that the announcement was announced the day before) that it would be something other than a standard tour announcement. For people who already have tickets, watching the whole 30 mins (which I did :facepalm:) unfortunately felt like a waste of time. It just didn't require a build up, livestreams should really be for a far more in-depth reveal like maybe showing how elements of the stage show are going to work, not just dates.
This.

Nothing wrong with announcing tour dates, that's cool. Officially announcing that in 24 hours there will be a "big announcement" via livestream obviously means people expect something more. They really could have just announced the tour dates, and then had a live Q&A with Jordan that was advertised that way - seems like it was a cool thing, but people are dispapointed because they expected something else.

Yes! I already wrote it earlier on, but I'm really disappointed at the news. BIG anouncement?!? Pfffffff...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3781 on: December 18, 2015, 04:00:52 AM »
A big announcement suggested something special, not something they do every tour. It also didn't warrant the buildup given that it's just adding more tour dates to the ones they'd already announced.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3782 on: December 18, 2015, 04:51:54 AM »
I'd say it was a big announcement. Some people on this board have done nothing but complain about there being no US dates ever since the Europe dates were announced.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3783 on: December 18, 2015, 04:52:40 AM »
A big announcement suggested something special, not something they do every tour. It also didn't warrant the buildup given that it's just adding more tour dates to the ones they'd already announced.

I don't know, but I guess this forum is missing the point here. This tour, with all The Astonishing played live and with all the stage production, now will be extended to USA. It's not simply to announce more tour dates. I doubt when DT will be promoting this album in South America, Asia etc they will do this way. I guess they will do a more regular kind of show, playing only a few parts of The Astonishing and with the regular show production.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3784 on: December 18, 2015, 04:53:27 AM »
I'd say it was a big announcement. Some people on this board have done nothing but complain about there being no US dates ever since the Europe dates were announced.

That's because they're American. :P

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #3785 on: December 18, 2015, 04:58:42 AM »
That announcement got me geoshredded  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3786 on: December 18, 2015, 06:22:03 AM »

I see Aussies whining right now. :lol

Everybody wants answers like right now!  People need to settle down.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3787 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »

Everybody wants answers like right now!  People need to settle down.

I don't think Blob would whine and cry - he would rust.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: December 18, 2015, 06:28:39 AM »

Oh I wasn't whining, I just think that hyping their announcement was unwarranted for what it was. But imma happy you guys have your tour dates now, honestly.
It's not like I had any expectations about this announcement anyway, as I can't think of anything that would have interested me, beyond already having a new album that is.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3789 on: December 18, 2015, 06:31:19 AM »
I laughed at the people complaining about american dates when the European dates came out.  Like DT wasn't going to play here.  Now some have a beef that they are not playing a lot of places but it's obvious some cities are not making them money and they are only touring the markets that will will fill the seats.  Lucky for me I live in one of those areas.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3790 on: December 18, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »
My wife said that she will go with me, but I politely told her that I would rather go with a  guy who actually likes DT.  Well, that did not go over very well.

Tough beans. When I have that convo with my wife about her not going to a show with me, her response is along the lines of "Sweet!"

My wife wants to go to a concert as much as a lesbian wants a man,  ::)  so that's not a problem for me.  Can't afford it anyway.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3791 on: December 18, 2015, 08:05:38 AM »
Got my tickets. Center Orchestra... row S (so 20ish?).... works for me.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3792 on: December 18, 2015, 08:07:40 AM »
Radio City here I come! :metal

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3793 on: December 18, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »
scored me some KILLER seats to the Boston show! Very happy!

Also, seems like there was a four ticket limit for the TOUR on this presale. Bought 3 for Boston, and then went to buy 2 more for Radio City and it told me I could only buy one. Very weird. Oh well, I'll have fun at my hometown show.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3794 on: December 18, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »

I think we need to plan a forum meet-up.  Does anyone have a hat that would be appropriate for the occasion?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3795 on: December 18, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »
I think a :hat would be more than appropriate for a meet-up
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3796 on: December 18, 2015, 09:04:26 AM »

I think we need to plan a forum meet-up.  Does anyone have a hat that would be appropriate for the occasion?

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YouMakeMeSick

« Reply #3797 on: December 18, 2015, 09:09:20 AM »

I got my ticket ready, this would be my Radio City comeback after Score. A forum meetup would be really cool.
The owls are not what they seem...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3798 on: December 18, 2015, 09:15:42 AM »
I mentioned this in the other thread, but anyone coming to see them in NY who needs a place to crash, let me know. You're welcome to stay at my place. I'm not driving in though, so we can take public transportation.

Offline escruting

« Reply #3799 on: December 18, 2015, 09:28:53 AM »
Hi guys. It's been a long time since my last post. I'm a little bit worried 'cause no dates in Spain have been announced yet. Given that some northamerican one have been posted today...No more european dates this time. I hope there's a second row in europe when other countries are included. I cannot miss this opera rock live.  Greetings from Spain. Thanks!

Yeah man, same here, a bit dissapointed about them not coming to Spain. Can any of the mods confirm if this is the final list of european shows?

It would be nice to know if this is final because then we can think about going to another country to see DT, but until then its too risky...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3800 on: December 18, 2015, 09:31:55 AM »
Can any of the mods confirm if this is the final list of european shows?

No.  None of us know. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3801 on: December 18, 2015, 10:01:04 AM »
Front row balcony at The Hippodrome in Baltimore.....two tix, $102 INCLUDING fees.  Shocked at the very minimal extra charges.

The third time my wife will be going with me (out of twelve).  She purchased them as a bday present.  Yup, I'm a lucky guy.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #3802 on: December 18, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »

It would be nice to know if this is final because then we can think about going to another country to see DT, but until then its too risky...

My personal guess is that this is it for the EU tour. Seeing as there are almost no free dates between concerts and between the EU and NA leg of the tour. Shame they cut off the whole of Eastern Europe.

I was also just researching how much it would cost me to go to Milan for the concert (from Bulgaria) and with the cheapest of everything (flight, hotel, ticket for the concert)  it amounts to ~150 euro, which is not as bad as I first thought it was going to be but still quite a bit for a student.
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3803 on: December 18, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but shouldn't someone open a new thread to discuss NA or EU tour? I know that this thread here rarely has anything useful, but I'm sure lots of people who don't live in those continents (including me) don't want to scroll through lots of pages of "are you going to the gig in *insertname*" or "I'm not sure if I'm getting tickets for this venue or that venue"

Not a critic, just a suggestion to keep it cleaner.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3804 on: December 18, 2015, 10:04:12 AM »
Scored some great seats in Baltimore; row F center 111 and 112 (at the end of the isle on the right... close to JP again  :metal).  Any of you guys give me some ideas for good food in Baltimore?  Hippodrome looks to be in the waterfront district.

Stoked to see DT again... as always!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3805 on: December 18, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »
I'm probably in the minority here, but shouldn't someone open a new thread to discuss NA or EU tour? I know that this thread here rarely has anything useful, but I'm sure lots of people who don't live in those continents (including me) don't want to scroll through lots of pages of "are you going to the gig in *insertname*" or "I'm not sure if I'm getting tickets for this venue or that venue"

Not a critic, just a suggestion to keep it cleaner.
True, there actually is a thread regarding NA tours over at the Concert and Set Lists subforum, they should probably discuss it there, but I don't mind it to be honest.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3806 on: December 18, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
For those like me who don't have Facebook accounts DT uploaded yesterdays announcement to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5em7y7IRGA

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3807 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »
For those like me who don't have Facebook accounts DT uploaded yesterdays announcement to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5em7y7IRGA

Nice.  :metal   Jordan is always intriguing to listen to.

Offline escruting

« Reply #3808 on: December 18, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »

My personal guess is that this is it for the EU tour. Seeing as there are almost no free dates between concerts and between the EU and NA leg of the tour. Shame they cut off the whole of Eastern Europe.

I was also just researching how much it would cost me to go to Milan for the concert (from Bulgaria) and with the cheapest of everything (flight, hotel, ticket for the concert)  it amounts to ~150 euro, which is not as bad as I first thought it was going to be but still quite a bit for a student.

There are some free days between the 23rd of March (zurich show) and the 14th of april when the US tour starts.

There are a lot of nice theaters here (Barcelona) and they could fill them up easily.

If no dates in Spain/Portugal are announced maybe ill go to Switzerland to see them...

I guess a decision will come (on my part) when we hear the whole album and see if its worth it to see a full show of only new material.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3809 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »

I will be there and definitely down for the meet up, I know Prog Snob mentioned he was as well.  Got great seats this morning.

I laughed at the people complaining about american dates when the European dates came out.  Like DT wasn't going to play here.  Now some have a beef that they are not playing a lot of places but it's obvious some cities are not making them money and they are only touring the markets that will will fill the seats.  Lucky for me I live in one of those areas.

My only concern was that maybe the whole "Astonishing Live" theatrical type of show they are aiming for would be for that European leg only, glad to see that is not the case.  I hope they announce more dates for the rest of the fans, I know I would be upset if I missed this.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #3810 on: December 18, 2015, 12:46:59 PM »
Looks like Google is copying DT with their choose your side deal
https://www.google.com/starwars/?utm_source=en&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=atfw

Offline jsbru

« Reply #3811 on: December 18, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »
Is Chicago the only place where you can't buy regular tickets at this point?  When you click on the regular "Buy Tickets" link, there's no drop-down menu for seats.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3812 on: December 18, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »

I will be there and definitely down for the meet up, I know Prog Snob mentioned he was as well.  Got great seats this morning.

I created a specific thread for this show so we can plan everything in one place.   :metal

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #3813 on: December 18, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »

MASTERING IS DONE! THE ALBUM IS OFFICIALLY DONE!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3814 on: December 18, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »

MASTERING IS DONE! THE ALBUM IS OFFICIALLY DONE!

It's interesting that DT released The Gift of Music before the overall masters were actually finished. I guess that they didn't want to drag people on for too long without hearing anything so maybe as soon as the master for TGoM was finished, they began preparing for its reveal.